Fifteen

Somewhere Only We Know


"Noon-" Seungri tried to call out, but his words turned into muffled cries.

"Shut up!" Seunghyun grumbled. I could imagine Seungri squirming as Seunghyun silenced him with his hand over his mouth. Worried that something might have happened, I got out of bed and hurriedly opened my bedroom door.

There stood Seunghyun, holding Seungri's head back with his whole arm, both his hands covering Seungri's mouth.

"Good morning, Rin!" Seunghyun cheerfully greeted. I raised a brow in confusion. Seungri finally broke free, panting and coughing.

"Noona...This monster..." Seungri struggled to speak, glaring at Seunghyun furiously.

"What's going on?! What did you do to Seungri?!" I yelled.

"Noona! He tried to kill me just because I wanted to wake you!" Seungri ranted all in one breath when he finally could. Seunghyun eyes widened, raising one arm, threatening to beat the maknae. Seungri quickly hid behind me.

"Why did you do that?!" I reprimanded Seunghyun, who quieted down.

"I told him I'd be the one to wake you but he didn't listen! He wanted to challenge me! " he complained. The two guys started a staring battle.

"Ya ya ya!! Stop it, you guys! I'm up so what does it matter?"

I made my way past the two childish guys and headed for the bathroom. As soon as I closed the bathroom door, I heard them break into quarrel again.

"You're a monster, hyung! I'm telling noona and Jiyong hyung!" Seungri growled.

"Ouch!" Seunghyun yelped, "What's that for?!"

I held in my laughter as I continued listening to their exchange of threats.

"You're going to get it from me!" I heard Seunghyun hiss, followed by Seungri's shouts for help. I swung the door open, staring at them as they quickly untangled themselves from eachother.

"Noona he tried to kill me again while you weren't looking!" Seungri whined.

"Ya Choi Seunghyun! Touch Seungri again and you're dead, got it?!"

Seunghyun pouted, quietly following behind as I dragged Seungri down for breakfast.

Jiyong and Daesung were already sitting at the dining table, laughing as they chatted about school life. Taeyang was in the kitchen, preparing breakfast. It was heartwarming, seeing them able to have breakfast together as a complete five despite their own activities. It was a Sunday. Even though Sunday was known as family day, no one I knew actually made an effort to spend the day with their family. But in this house, you could see how they prioritized one another as the number one concern.

"Good morning, Haerin!" Taeyang chirped, his eyes turning into crescents.

"Good morning, oppa. You're making breakfast?" I asked, peeping over his shoulder. He nodded.

"It's my turn to run the kitchen, since you and Top hyung have already made breakfast before." he stated.

I grinned, thankful for having these guys in my life.

For the first time since my return, I felt like I was having breakfast, the most important meal of the day, with my family. And for once, I was part of the lively conversations, genuinely laughing along as they made silly jokes. There was no spacing out. or discomfort. I actually felt happy. And after breakfast, all six of us sat in the living room. It was as if we had some sort of silent rule that unless we had important things to tend to, none of us were to just leave or proceed with their own businesses after breakfast. Evident from the past few days, Jiyong never plopped himself on the couch after breakfast, despite that being the most common sight. Taeyang never went off without a word, whether it was to his room, or out. And Seunghyun was always around. And today, Seungri and Daesung obediently settled themselves without even a mention of video games.

"What should we do today?" Daesung asked.

"It's a Sunday! Let's go out!" Jiyong exclaimed. And almost instantly, a million suggestions came flying in at the speed of lightning.

"How about a movie?!"

"Let's go to a club." Jiyong spouted, earning a smack in the head from Seunghyun.

"It's early in the morning, you idiot. Besides, we have kids here!" Seunghyun snapped.

"Let's go to the zoo! That's Dae's home!" Seungri shouted.

"YA! Noona, Seungri's being mean!" Daesung complained. But I couldn't help but burst out laughing. Daesung frowned.

"Sorry, Dae." I cooed, "Ya Seungri, don't be mean!"

The maknae mischievously stuck his tongue out at Daesung. The rest of us shook out heads, not believing that these two were in fact college students.

"How about going to the beach?" I suggested, thrilled.

"The beach?" Jiyong echoed.

"We could have a picnic, or rent a bike. It's been so long since I've cycled..." I mumbled, anticipating their response.

"Awesome! Let's go!" Seungri squealed.

Daesung nodded eagerly while Taeyang got up to prepare for the picnic.

"I'll just... wait for you guys!" Jiyong declared, jumping onto the couch.

"I don't think so!"

Taeyang ruthlessly dragged the lazy Jiyong into the kitchen. I turned to Seunghyun, who grinned at me.

"You might want to bring a book." I said.

"Nah." he declined, shaking his head, "I'll be too distracted to read."

I smiled to myself upon hearing that. It was something that could so easily be flirty, even cheesy. Yet as Seunghyun said it, the innocent look in his eyes turned all of those into sweet sincerity. He was like a untainted child, who wouldn't know when something he said sounded wrong. He hadn't changed one bit.

While Taeyang and I prepared the food, Seungri, Daesung and Jiyong gathered all the other things they wanted to bring along. And where was Seunghyun, you may ask? He was in the kitchen, peeling apples while he kept an eye on Taeyang and I. And every time I needed help with something, he'd rush over before Taeyang could.

"Just focus on the fruits, Seunghyun!" I grumbled, annoyed by his watching gaze.

"But I wanna help, Rin."

"There's nothing you can help with!"

Taeyang chuckled while Seunghyun just went back to the apples, pouting.

Soon, we were ready to leave. Taeyang and Seunghyun carried the bags of food, putting them in the trunk, while the rest of the guys cheered joyfully as they got into the car. Because it'd be too packed for four guys to fit in the back, I let Taeyang take the front seat while I settled myself in the back with Jiyong and the kids. Seunghyun didn't seem to like that, though. I could tell from the way he looked back at us through the rear view mirror.

The journey to the beach was chaotic. Jiyong and Seungri were arguing over who helped out with the daily chores more. And for some reason, ever since I became a part of this family, my opinion served as the final statement. Perhaps it was because I was a girl, and being natural gentlemen, they'd let the lady of the house have the final say. It would have been nicer, though, if I wasn't constantly thrown into arguments as such.

"Haerin, you're always fair. You judge!" Jiyong ordered.

"Noona, all hyung does is laze around!" Daesung claimed, pointing at Jiyong accusingly.

"I do help, dumb Dae. You just don't see it!"

"YA YA YA! Shut up!!" I flared.

"Haerin..." Jiyong sat up, offended. He was, after all, a month older.

"Ah, sorry Ji..." I cooed. He calmed down, laying back with his arms folded.

"Honestly, other than Taeyang oppa, I don't think any of you help very much." I pointed out frankly. And one by one, they started to mumble defenses. Even Seunghyun, who had his eyes on the road.

"I'm just saying," I yelled to calm the commotion, "We should split our duties more evenly from now on."

"Agreed." Seunghyun chirped immediately, grinning to himself as he stole glances back.

We eventually decided to put the issue aside until we get home from our trip, which has yet to begin. I finally had some peace when Seungri fell asleep, Daesung and Taeyang had their earphones on and Jiyong had his eyes glued on his PSP. But it didn't last for long.

I reached for my cellphone that sounded with an alert. A new text message...


'Haerin-ah...Is Top at home? I couldn't reach him... ): '


I sighed, my thumb hovering over the buttons 'reply' and 'back'.

"Seunghyun..." I muttered, figuring that the right thing to do was to tell him.

"Neh?"

As soon as he stopped at a red light, I handed him my phone, showing him the text I just got from Hwayoung. His relaxed face was now replaced with an expression of vexation.

"If you need to go, you can just drop us off..."

"What are you talking about?" he retorted immediately, as if my words were absurd, "Today's Sunday! Sunday's family day."

He handed me my phone.

"Just tell her the truth. We're already on our way to the beach, I'm not leaving now." he replied, as if not one bit worried. I nodded, despite knowing he couldn't see me.


'The guys and I are going to the beach today! Top says sorry for forgetting to tell you!'

Message Sent.


We returned to our individual silence, when Seunghyun suddenly spoke again.

"Rin..."

"Hmm?"

"Thank you..."

I smiled, knowing exactly what he wanted to say.

"You're welcome."

At that moment, I was happy.


-


"Lee Haerin!" my father spoke in a reprimanding tone too calm for my nerves, "If you don't want to get in more trouble than you already have, it's best you be honest."

I hung my head low, repeatedly opening my mouth, only to look away when the words wouldn't come out. I had skipped school that day, just because Seunghyun had officially graduated from high school and I couldn't stand a day without him in school with me. I didn't think my parents would find out. But apparently my teacher paid special attention to a model pupil like me. I sighed in frustration at the thought of it.

"Mr Lee...The truth is..." Seunghyun voiced, causing our heads to turn, "Haerin only skipped school because I was sick!"

I looked up at Seunghyun, shocked at what he was doing.

"I was so sick, I felt dizzy and threw up a few times. Rin was the one who cleaned up and took care of me!"

My father turned back to me, eyes softening. He was believing Seunghyun completely. We all knew that Seunghyun never lies.

"Why didn't you say so?" he asked.

"You were scary..." I whimpered, giving him my puppy eyes. He sighed.

"I'll speak to your teacher then."

He waved his hands as a sign that I was dismissed from his room of doom. I took Seunghyun's hand, dragging him out with me. As soon as we were in the living room, I turned dramatically to face Seunghyun.

"Thank you, Seunghyun-ah!" I squealed, flinging my arms around him.

"Y-yeah...Just...don't do it again." he stammered.



-


I giggled as I thought back about the past.

"What are you laughing at?" Seunghyun asked, watching me in amusement.

"Secret..." I grinned, taking a bite out of my sandwich.

I looked over at the guys, a few meters away from us. Taeyang, Jiyong and Seungri were crouching in the sand, hastily burying Daesung's feet as they all
laughed mischievously. Watching them so carefree brought a smile to my face.

"Why aren't you playing with them?" I asked Seunghyun. He shrugged.

"I want to be here...with you." he simply replied, playing with his fingers. I reached over and took his hand, causing him to look up at me in surprise.

"Your hands are so big now, Seunghyun."

He chuckled, holding my small, frail hands in his gentle grip.

"Of course. I'm all grown up now."

His warmth made me feel safe. It made me feel like as long as he continued holding my hand in his gentle devotion, I'd be able to brave any storm. It was a feeling I had so often in the past, when I was younger...too young to realize how precious that feeling was to a girl, or any living thing for that matter. It was
pure... and simple. But things are different now that we're in our situation. Because having him cheat on the woman he was about to marry was nowhere near simple. And it definitely wasn't pure. It was corrupt. Yet in this exhausting corruption, I found myself a place to lean on...Seunghyun's shoulders.

"Would you like to take a walk by the beach?" I suggested with hopeful eyes. Nodding like an eager child, he stood up, brushed the sand off his pants and extended his hand out to me.

The Haerin seven years ago would have playfully slapped his hand away, getting up on her own. But seven years later, things have changed. One thing I've learnt is that pushing away the people you love most only leads you to regrets greater than your heart can take. So I placed my hand in his, letting his gentle pull take me to my feet. His face gave away the little sense of accomplishment he felt from finally being able to act as my prince after all these years.

I excitedly skipped across the sand towards the water, only to frantically retreat as the waves washed ashore. I could hear Seunghyun's deep laughter behind me.

"Be careful, Rin" he warned," You don't want to trip and fall into the water."

Upon hearing that, an idea struck me. I smiled mischievously, approaching Seunghyun. And immediately, the calm expression he had on was replaced with panic. I kept tailing him as he continuously avoided me.

"Quit playing, Rin!" he cried.

All of a sudden, there was laughter from afar. I turned to look. And in that split second my attention was diverted, Seunghyun jumped forward, grabbing my shoulders, jerking me hard. I yelped, clinging onto his shirt for dear life. He burst into laughter.

"Choi Seunghyun!!" I shrieked, "What if I really fell?! I didn't bring an extra set of clothes!"

He was panting hard from laughing.

"Don't be silly, Rin. Do you really think I'd let you fall?"

His words triggered a little something inside of me. I turned away, walking ahead along the waters.

"Hey, are you angry?" Seunghyun asked, catching up with me.

Before I knew it, my hand was in his as we strolled slowly down the beach, not saying one word.
As I've said before, this wasn't teenage love. We weren't in highschool anymore and carelessly letting everything go just to stay together was out of the question. Yet my heartbeat betrayed my rationality. And taking a glance at Seunghyun, I knew that I wasn't alone.

After ten minutes, we decided to head back to make sure all the food hadn't been gobbled up by the guys.

"Yo! We're back!" I greeted cheerfully, settling myself on the mat.

"Noona! I missed you so much while you were gone!" Seungri exclaimed.

"He's lying, noona! Just a moment ago, he said it's be great if the two of you didn't come back. That way, he can eat your share of food!' Daesung rambled all in one breath, completing his sentences before Seungri could silence him by force.

"That's not true, noona! Hyung!" Seungri retorted agitatedly.

We laughed as Seungri claimed himself innocent. I kept silent, enjoying watching the maknae try so hard to convince us. But as soon as I realized that he wasn't going to stop until I said something, I halfheartedly agreed with his claim. One thing I learnt that day was that this boy could be the most annoying bugger on this planet.

After an hour or so of cycling around the park, we were tired and settled ourselves by the beach once more. The sun was sinking into the horizontal stratum of the sea. We were sitting in a row, side by side, looking out at sunset as the waves washed out to the tip of our toes.

"Let's do this every once in awhile, until we grow old and too weak to stand. Then we can park our wheelchairs in this order and watch the sunset through our reading glasses... together." Jiyong said, causing all our heads to turn.

"What?" he muttered in shock upon realizing that five pairs of eyes were looking his way.

"This is the first time I'm hearing you say something that makes sense, hyung." Seungri stated in amazement. The rest of us nodded in agreement, earning a scoff from Jiyong.

Jiyong wasn't the kind to say such stuff. He didn't appear sentimental at all...and yet what he said touched our hearts, despite the simple use of words. I guess this was a moment even someone as dense as Jiyong knew not to take for granted.

"We'll come again for sure. No matter how busy we are with our own lives, there's bound to be a time we'll be able to spend family day together again." Taeyang said with faith.

"I'll never forget this day." Seunghyun muttered.

There was a moment of silence before Daesung erupted.

"AISH. Why are you guys saying these stuff?! It's not like we're dying or separating or anything! We're living in the same house!!!"

We all laughed in agreement, despite that one thought lurking at the back of our minds, stinging our hearts slightly, even after we packed up and left.


-


"Seunghyun, are you going to miss your high school friends?" I asked curiously. Seunghyun nodded, tapping his fingers to the beat of the music in the background. We were in a fast food restaurant having lunch together for the first time after Seunghyun started his holidays. We figured that he'd probably be ending school much later in the future, and we wouldn't have much afternoons together anymore. Therefore we cherish the time we had together more than ever.

"Why not? You might not see one another ever again."

He just shrugged, not thinking much about my question. He didn't seem to care if he separated from his schoolmates. I wondered if he was as indifferent about leaving me behind.

"I think they'll miss you, though." I sighed.

"Well, that can't be helped then."

I sighed once more.

"That's true...Meetings and partings repeat and repeat...It can't be helped." I mumbled in dismay.

Seunghyun lowered his head, his gaze darting nervously as he muttered,

"I'll miss you, though."



Those words, I kept forever.