Six

Somewhere Only We Know

 

It was a weekday, so Daesung and Seungri left for school. Taeyang, Jiyong, Seunghyun and I stayed at home, with nothing much to do.
 
"Aish, what a boring day." Taeyang grumbled. Jiyong and I nodded.
 
"What do you guys usually do?" I asked.
 
Jiyong thought for awhile before he answered.
 
"We usually just head out on our own."
 
"I see..." I whispered, nodding.
 
It never occurred to me that these guys now have a life of their own. They probably had their own friends, their own side job, things they did without the others. We've all grown up, after all. It wasn't quite possible for them to stick together like they use to. I sighed at the thought of going separate ways...not realizing that I've already taken that path 7 years ago.
 
"Top, don't you have class today?" Jiyong asked. It was then that I remembered that Seunghyun was still studying.
 
"It's in the night." He simply replied.
 
"Not meeting Hwayoung noona?" Taeyang asked, earning look from Jiyong. I couldn't quite understand what he was trying to say with that look...but something told me I shouldn't get involved. So I played it cool, like what I just heard was really nothing.
 
Hwayoung noona...
 
It was a pretty name. And it entered the silence like glass being thrown to the floor, shattering into a million pieces, cutting everyone but me. And while the two continued watching me as if I was supposed to have a reaction, Seunghyun kept his eyes looking anywhere but in my direction. If he was intentionally avoiding my eyes, then perhaps it would have felt better. But no. He wasn't avoiding. He simply found no reason to take a look at the fresh wounds before his
eyes.
 
 
-
 
 
"You should leave now, Rin." Seunghyun finally spoke after we've been sitting in his room for 3 whole hours, not saying one word. I shook my head.
 
"I have time." I simply replied.
 
"I'm fine, Rin." he insisted.
 
"No, you're not." I argued, looking him in the eyes.
 
"Why do you say that?"
 
"Seunghyun-ah, have you heard of the silent scream?" I asked. He shook his head with a confused look on his face. I smiled.
 
"The silent scream is a call for help that can neither be heard by your ears, nor seen by your eyes. And yet it's so loud, it hurts to those who feel it by the heart.. Everyone can turn away from it, either pretending not to realize it, or truly oblivious. All but one person, who was sent specially to answer those cries. And I think the one sent for you is me."
 
I finally saw his strong exterior soften, as if letting me in.
 
"You can hear my silent scream?" He croaked. I nodded with a soft smile.
 
I heard his...but he never heard mine. 
 
 
-
 
 
We spent the day talking about how I lived in America, and all the things I missed about Korea. I told them about the cultural differences and the difficulties I had in adjusting. They listened, laughing and joking around when I told them my experiences. With the four of us crowded around the coffee table, it felt like a cosy family. And despite knowing that partings are inevitable, I sincerely wished that we had stayed together from the start, and that we'll stay together always.
 
"Jiyong..." I called out awhile after Seunghyun left for his class.
 
"Neh, Haerin?" He replied, sitting down beside me. Taeyang was taking a nap, Seungri and Dae were in their rooms, playing video games. The night was
quiet and serene...And yet I couldn't find peace.
 
"Hwayoung..." I paused, "Who is she?"
 
Jiyong looking down at his fingers before looking up at me with a slight smile.
 
"She's Top's fiancee..."
 
 
-
 
 
"Rin, why does the sea sparkle?" Seunghyun asked innocently as we sat by the beach after camping overnight.
 
"The sea doesn't sparkle, silly. It just reflects the rays of the sun!"
 
"It's pretty. Just like you. HaeRin. 'Hae' means the sea. You're just as pretty as the sea." Seunghyun said with a smile, while I kept quiet and played with the sand between my toes. The wind filled in the gaps of silence between us, removing any signs of awkwardness.
 
"I want to move out, Rin." he spoke again.
 
"Why?!" I exclaimed in shock, "If you move, we won't be neighbors anymore."
 
"My mother doesn't treat me right..." he muttered, eyes still on the sea.
 
"What do you mean? She's your mother. If she doesn't treat you right, then who does?" I replied in a reprimanding tone.
 
"You do." he simply said, looking up at me with eyes that seemed to plead for help. A silent scream...
 
"What happened?" I asked, much more gentle this time. He shook his head , giving me a small smile before looking into the distance once more.
 
"You know," I spoke," The sea only looks pretty when the Sun is up and the waters sparkle."
 
"You said that just a moment ago." he interrupted.
 
"If I'm the sea, then you must be the sun." Seunghyun looked surprised for a moment. Then all he did was stare down at the sand, hiding his smile.