Chapter 1: conned

Housemate

*beep beep*

*beep beep*

*beep beep*

"This is weird.." You mumbled to yourself.
"Are you sure you dialed the right number?" Taeyeon, your best friend, asked.
"of course! how could i dialed the wrong number five times!" You said as you tried to dial the number again but you kept on hearing the same tone no matter how many times you tried dialing the apartment.

"Oi.” A guy who’s been standing behind Hyosun an Taeyeon said. He sounded angry. “Could you please let us dialed our apartment first? I've been waiting here for the last ten minutes!" He complained. The way he stared at you were so cold and scary that you didn't dare to look straight at him.
"S-Sorry." You immediately apologized. Taeyeon and you stepped back and waited for him.
"I'm Sorry..." The girl who accompanied him gave you a slight bow and apologized.

As you watched them dialing the number, you noticed that they are dialing the same number as you did, 159. But still, nobody answers it.
“What the hell is that guy doing?" The guy hit the intercom, he finally loses his temper after his 6th attempt. A lady with curly hair decided to approach him and asked him, "excuse me, but did you just dialed 159?" the guy nodded. "these other people and me have been here for the last 30 minutes, and we just found out that we are having the same problem.."

"Huh?" The guy responded.

"H-Hyosun, you better tried calling the agency now!" Taeyeon suggested as she took out her phone and handed it over to you. “I have a bad feeling about this.”
You dialed the number that is in the card given to you by the agent. The others also did the same thing.

While waiting for someone to pick up your call, a man approached the two of you and asked, “What was the name of the agency that you rented this apartment with?"
Since you are busy caling the agent, Taeyeon answered him, "Canola."
Hearing that, the man and the others were shocked because they also rented the apartment under the same agency. Everyone was in confusion.

“Hello?” You quickly replied when someone finally picked up. It catches the attention of the others. The guy, his girlfriend, and Taeyeon came closer to you.

“Hi, This is Hyosun, I’m calling because-“

“Miss, this is from the police.” A guy with a hoarse voice on the phone said.

“P-police?” You repeated in confusion.

“Yes. It seems like you’ve been conned by this guy called Park MyungSoo. He is a swindler that we’ve been trying to catch. I am sorry.”

“What?! A swindler?!” You shouted. The others became more curious seeing your respond.

You kept on listening to the police's further explanation about the case. Once you hanged up, everyone threw questions asking you about what the police said.

“What happened? What’s with the swindler and the police?” Taeyeon asked.

“Actually…” You explained the whole situation to them.


“Okay… then, I’m gonna call the REAL agency. I really need a place to stay.” The guy said to his girlfriend. He took out his cellphone from his pocket and went over somewhere to make a call. His girlfriend sat on the sofa on the lobby of the apartment waiting for him. As she sat, she overheard your conversation with Taeyeon.
"What to do now?" you sighed. "I've got no where to stay.. I think i'll ended up transferring school.."

"Don't think about it that way! I'm sure you can find a place to stay!" Taeyeon tried to cheer you up. You stared at her giving her a look. "W-what?" she asked.

"Then can you let me stay over in your place...??" You grinned.

"I will let you stay in my house without those." Taeyeon pointed to the truck that carries some of your house's furniture.

“Excuse me.” The girl who was with the guy patted lightly on your shoulder. Taeyeon and you turned around to look at her. “Sorry I didn’t mean to eavesdrop on you guys but I heard about what you guys were talking just now.”
She adjusted her seat to face us directly, “I don’t think my boyfriend needed the place that bad, so if my boyfriend could rent the apartment, do you want to take it instead?”

“Eeh?” You automatically responded. “That would be… a bit.. your boyfriend.. wouldn’t he feel angry or something?”

“I’ll take care of that.” She smiled. “Why don’t you also try calling the real agent about the details and see whether you still want to take it?”

“Ok then.. I guess I will make a call to them..” You stood up while taking out your phone.

“By the way, it is a bit weird to be calling each other ‘you’ all the time. My name is YeonHee and my boyfriend there is JaeJoong. Nice to meet you.” She smiled and offered a handshake with TaeYeon and you.

“My name is TaeYeon and she is Hyosun.” TaeYeon replied back with a handshake, then you. Without taking any longer, you went outside to make a call with the real agent about the apartment.


A few minutes later, when you are done calling the agency, you slowly approached YeonHee and JaeJoong who are sitting on the lobby, followed by TaeYeon.

“So how did it go?” YeonHee asked.

“Err.. You can take the house.” You said while giving small hand gestures.

“Huh? Why??” YeonHee asked.

“Well, the real price for the rent is too expensive, I can’t afford it.” TaeYeon patted your shoulder. YeonHee then looks at JaeJoong. JaeJoong didn’t care much, he took out his cellphone and start dialing the agency.

“Then I’ll take the place.” He said as he placed the phone on his ear.

“Jae!” YeonHee was about to take the phone away from him, but he quickly got up and walked somewhere else to talk with the agency to avoid her taking his phone.

“Hyosun, I actually have an idea. But I am not sure if you will agree with it…” YeonHee said.

“W-What is it?”

“I think you can stay with JaeJoong, like you are paying the rent of one room to him. I am alright with it.”

“Thank you but, I don’t think that it is appropriate. Moreover, I don’t think he will like that idea.”

“Seriously, it’s okay. I can persuade him to.” YeonHee said with confidence. Not long, JaeJoong came back with a big smile on his face. It seems that he just rented the apartment.

“Jae, I have a request..” YeonHee said. “I know that the apartment that you rented has 2 rooms. Would you mind to rent the other room to her?”

“What?” JaeJoong eyes grew bigger. He took a glance on you and TaeYeon, then look back at YeonHee. “W-Why?”

“She desperately needs a place.. Jae, do it for me..” YeonHee pleaded. JaeJoong and YeonHee stared into each other eyes for a brief moment, then JaeJoong closed his eyes and sighed.

“Fine. If that’s what you wanted. But are you sure about this? Me living with another girl?” He asked and YeonHee nodded. SooIn and TaeYeon then cheered happily and thanked them.

As TaeYeon and YeonHee went out to tell the moving-out driver, JaeJoong approached you. He folded his arms and stood right in front of you, looking right into your eyes. Rather than ‘looking’ it would seemed more to be like ‘glaring’.

“I’m sure you know that it is obvious that I never intended to let you stay with me. So don’t think I’ll be nice to you.”
.

.

.

.