New Guy

My Kind Of Nerd

 

Another day of school…urgh…I hate Mondays…it should be illegal in this country. I dragged my lazy to the bathroom and showered. Getting dressed in my school uniform I head down to the kitchen.

            “The princess is here…” my sister Yoon Hee said sneered at me.

            “Shut up!” I hate this girl. She was a year younger than I was and annoying as hell. What sin have I done in my previous life that I deserved this devil like girl as my sister.

            “Can’t I have the two of you not to argue for a minute?” my mom said.

            “She started it!” we said in unison and looking at each other. Yoon Hee stuck out her tongue and continued eating her breakfast.

            “Sit and I’ll get your breakfast…”

            “It’s okay mom…I have morning duty…besides, I can’t eat when there’s a huge thrash fly at the table.” I grabbed my backpack and head to the door. I heard Yoon Hee and her equally annoying cry telling mom to scold me but I don’t give a damn about her.

I arrived at school and saw my best friend Nayoung at the gate drawing circles with her feet.

            “Nice patterns…”I said looking at her feet.

            “Haha, very funny. What took you so long?” she slung her hands around my shoulder and we walked to the class together.

            “So, anything great happened over the weekend?” I said skipping giddily with Nayoung.

            “Not much…spending some quality time with my grandma in the mountain…nice…” she smiled and rolled he eyes. I knew she was miserable getting away from the tech world. “What about you? How’s Jeju?”

            “Quite fun…it’s definitely a good time without having to face Yoon Hee for two whole days…”

            “That girl can really push your button didn’t she? I wonder how she could be related to you…”

            “I know…and by the way, I got a new neighbour…a guy…”

            “Really? Tell me more…” her eyes twinkle with anticipation.

            “He’s tall…kinda nerd-ish…you know, mop hair…thick-rimmed specs…baggy clothes…he just moved from the States…”

            “Sounds interesting…do you like him?”

            “No…his mom was super nice though…she wants me to be his friends since he was shy among people and all…I gotta say, he’s kinda cute…just need a little tuned up…”

We got to class, do our chores and the lesson starts. It’s already lunch time and time to fill up the empty stomach. The cafeteria filled with students and we managed to get an empty table.

            “Hey Yoon Soo…” Junsu, a friend of mine from the other class said and took a seat in front of me at the table.

            “Who said you could sit here Kim Junsu?” I glared at him.

            “I know you’re nice enough to let me sit without having to kick my with your exceptional judo skills.” He said with a smile.

            “Where’s Khun? You two always hang out together.” Nayoung asked.

            “He’s busy with the language committee…”                                   

I was looking at the cafeteria entrance and saw a tall lanky figure walking in. It was Taecyeon.

            “That’s him…”

            “What?” Nayoung and Junsu looked at the same direction as I am.

            “That’s my new neighbour that I told you earlier…” I watch as Taecyeon fill up his food tray, walked to the farthest corner of the cafeteria, and sat at the table alone by himself.

            “You know that new guy?” Junsu looked at me.

            “Yeah…his family just moved next to my house…”

            “You’re right…he is a nerd…tall nerd…” Nayoung smiled.

I got up from my seat and walked towards his table.

Taecyeon POV

I fill my tray up with food and search the most secluded table I could find. Mingling with a new crowd was really not my thing…especially in a new place. I ducked my head, pushed up the specs and dig in my food.

            “Hey stud…” a girl voice intercept my alone time with my lunch. I looked up and saw Yoon Soo, the girl next door.

            “Yoon Soo right?” what a lame first line.

            “You remember me? Nice…so, what are you doing alone here?” she looked at me with those big puppy dog eyes. It’s so adorable.

            “Um…eating, obviously…” again, lame line.

            “I know genius…now, let’s go to my table and meet my friends…”

            “It’s okay…I’ll just stay here…”

            “No, you’re not. I’m not taking no as answers…get your up now or I’ll drag you there myself…”

I know she wasn’t joking so I followed her to her table.

End of POV

            “Hey guys…meet my neighbour and the new addition to this school, Taecyeon…that’s Nayoung and Junsu…”

           “We’ve met…you’re in my class…” Taecyeon and Junsu shake hands and then with Nayoung.

Taecyeon sat with me the whole time during lunch. He looked very nervous and shy but eventually takes part in our conversation.

After school…

            “I’ll see you tomorrow Nayoung ah…” I said as Nayoung get into her father’s car and speed away. I was making my way to the gate when I heard bunch of girls talking.

            “Have you seen the new guy? He’s such a nerd…”

            “That rimmed glasses…have anyone told him about contact lens?”

            “Geez…that’s a major nerd…he should be in his planet and not on earth.” The girls laughed and walked away together. Such a …

I turned and saw Taecyeon with both hands in his pockets walking down the street heading to the nearby subway station.

            “Taecyeon ah, wait up!” I called his name but he just walked straight. I ran up to him and stood in front of him. “Hello?” I waved my hands.

            “Yoon Soo ah…you like to appear in front of people like ghosts don’t you?” he took off the earphone he was wearing. No wonder he didn’t hear me.

            “I was calling you like a mad woman but you didn’t hear me…” I pointed my fingers at his earphones.

            “Sorry…it’s just become a habit plugging this on so I don’t have to hear what people have say about me…”

            “What do people say to you?”

            “You know…nerd, geek…socially challenged, society outlaw…and the whole nine yard…”

            “I think you’re okay…”

Taecyeon POV

I was lost in the music and suddenly Yoon Soo appeared in front of me unannounced.

            “Do you have any plan after this?” she asked as we’re walking.

            “Um…no…just go home, study and more study I guess…why?” it’s true…I have a terrible social life.

            “Well, today…it’s gonna be different…you’re going to have fun without the books…”

She wrapped her hands around my arm and went down the different direction I was going.

            “Where are we…”

            “You’ll see…” she smiled.

End of POV

I brought Taecyeon to my favourite spicy rice cake stall and he has a serious appetite. He easily finish 4 bowls of spicy rice cakes and 10 fish sticks.

            “What?” he looked at me. I was amazed how much this guy could eat.

            “Tell me, do you have an alien living inside your stomach?”

            “My mom said the same thing too…what can I say, I love to eat…is that a turn off for girls?”

            “I don’t know about other girls but I like guy that can eat well and not a picky eater…”

            “I’m not picky at all…”

            “So, if you have another space in there…how about we go for ice cream after this?”

            “Sounds good to me…”

Later that day…at my front gate…

            “I had fun today…my stomach is about to burst with all those foods.” He said rubbing his stomach.

            “Me too…so, since we’re in the same school…you wanna go together tomorrow?” I asked.

            “Sure…”

            “Great…so, I’ll see you in the morning then…”

            “Yeah…”

We exchanged phone numbers and went our own way.

            “See ya tomorrow Taecyeon ah…” I said and walked into my house.

Taecyeon POV

I really had fun hanging out with Yoon Soo today. We eat, talk and eat some more and I realised that this is a first time I can talk to someone this easy. Yoon Soo has the friendly vibe that makes me less nervous when I’m with her.

            “So, where did you go after school today?” my mom asked as we’re having dinner.

            “Um…she brought me to her favourite place downtown…show me around the neighbourhood…”

            “I really liked that girl…pretty, nice and polite…” my mom can’t stop talking about Yoon Soo through dinner. She’s really taken by Yoon Soo’s charm. Needless to say so was I.

 

A short chapter...I was thinking making this a short fic,...maybe  not more than 15 chapters...

anyway...happy reading and don't forget to comment!

 

BBYONG!!!!