Nice To Meet You

My Kind Of Nerd

 

            “Yoon Soo ah…could you send this casserole to the house next door?” my mom said as I entered the kitchen. 

            “Next door? But grandma Joo has moved back to the country…” I said sitting at the table.

            “Well, there’s new family just moved in over the weekend when you’re in Jeju…now, send this before it gets cold.” She handed me her famous chicken casserole in a Tupperware and pushed me to the door.

I pushed the doorbell but no one answered. I wanted to push it again when a voice startled me from the back.

            “Looking for someone?”

            “Jeez! You scared me!” I turned around and saw a tall guy standing. He wore a cap, a fluffy muffler wrapped around his neck almost covering half of his face…and an old-fashioned thick-rimmed glass to match the whole nerd from the hood look.

            “I’m sorry…I didn’t mean to scare you…” he said. His voice…it’s so…how do I put it…hmm…y.

            “Um…my mom sends you this…her famous chicken casserole…”

            “Um…thanks…come on in…”he opened the door. “Mom, I’m home…” he took off the cap and the muffler and I saw he got a good-looking face. I found myself smiling like an idiot.

            “Taecyeon ah…who’s that friend you got there?” Taecyeon, that’s his name. I saw a middle-aged woman almost as the same age as my mom walking down the stairs.

            “Annyeong hasaeyo omonim…my mom sends you some casserole she made…” I said bowing at her.

            “You’re Mrs. Han’s daughter Yoon Soo right?” she said smiling at me.

            “Yes…but how…”

            “I’ve seen your pictures when I went to your place for dinner couple days ago…you just got back from Jeju?”

            “Yes omonim…”

            “Ok Taecyeon, what are you doing standing there? Take that girl to the kitchen and serve her some of my iced lemon tea…”

            “Yes mom…come on…” he led the way to the kitchen. I sat at the counter and saw Taecyeon’s quick hands doing his work. Looks like he know his way around the kitchen.

            “Thanks…” I said as he put a glass of iced lemon tea in front me. I took a sip and I was in heaven. This is the best iced lemon tea I’ve tasted in my life. I opened my eyes and saw he was staring at me with a grin on his face. “I’m making weird noises didn’t I?” he just nodded.

There a long awkward silence between us and when I looked at him he would duck his head and look the other way.

            “You don’t talk to people that much do you?” I said.

            “Um…I’m a bit of a loner…I don’t have many friends…”

            “Well, I could be your friend…I’m Yoon Soo.” I extended my arm for a handshake. He was hesitate but eventually he grabbed my hand.

            “I’m Taecyeon…”

            “This is a good start…nice to meet you Taecyeon ah…people do say that I make a good friend…”

            “I bet you are…”

            “I see that the two of you are getting to know each other…” his mom came into the kitchen. “My son is shy around new people so I hope you could be his friend…”

            “Nae omonim…” I like this old woman. She’s so friendly and incredibly cute. “Um…I gotta go now…so, I’ll see you around?” I said looking at Taecyeon.

            “Um…sure…” he smiled.

I went back home and I can’t stop thinking about Taecyeon. I was determined to get him out from his shell and catapult him to the outside world…I feel like a social worker now.

 

It's a short chapter...

Tell me what you think...

BBYONG!