14

Haunted

Beep...Beep...Beep

Kyuhyun slowly became aware of a loud, steady beeping sound. He blinked and looked around, recognizing the plain, white walls of a hospital room.

Suddenly, it all came rushing back to him. The screech of metal, the screams of his mother, the pain, the blood...

The door opened and a woman in a nurse's uniform looked in. "You're awake!" she exclaimed, pushing the door open further.

Kyuhyun blinked, then nodded. "Um, yeah. What happened to me?"

"You were in a car accident with your parents."

"A-Are they alright?"

The nurse shook her head. "I'm sorry. They both died in the crash."

Kyuhyun sighed. "I knew that." he said softly. "I was hoping that it wasn't true. That it'd been a bad dream."

"I wish I could say that it was just a bad dream, but it wasn't." the nurse told him.

"Thanks." Kyuhyun replied. "Where are they buried?"

"They're buried in Seoul National Cemetery. Just a few blocks from here."

Kyuhyun nodded.

"Well, everything seems to be normal, but I'm going to find your doctor so he can check you out."

"Alright."

****

"Well, Mr. Cho, you seem to be a very lucky young man."

Kyuhyun looked up at his doctor. "How so?"

"Well, you've been in a coma for nearly a month, but there seems to be no complications from it."

"I lost my parents, though. How is that lucky?"

The doctor seemed to be at a loss for words. "Um... well..." He cleared his throat. "You'll be able to leave in a few days."

Kyuhyun nodded. "Thanks." He gazed out the window next to him.

"Alright. I'll come in later to check on you. Have a good day, Mr. Cho." The doctor turned and walked out of the door.

Kyuhyun looked around. His gaze landed on the phone next to him. I wonder if any of my friends are home. he thought. He leaned over and picked it up, then dialed one of his closest friend's number.

"Hello?"

"Eunhyuk?"

"Kyuhyun!? You're awake?"

"Yeah. Woke up about an hour ago. So, um, how've you been?"

"I've been good. It's, uh, it's really good to hear from you." There was a sound from the other end.

"Are you crying, 'Hyuk?"

"N-No. There's something in my eye."

"Uh huh. You're crying."

"Fine. Yes, I'm crying! Imagine your best friend getting in a car accident and nearly dying, then see how you feel."

"...I thought Donghae was your best friend."

Eunhyuk laughed softly. "He's my boyfriend and my best friend. But you're my best friend, as well."

"Thanks." Kyuhyun replied. "You realize that means you'll be playing StarCraft with me more often, don't you?"

"I know. I've been playing it more lately. You'll be getting some competition from me."

"I doubt that." Kyuhyun teased. "But I guess I'll find out, won't I?"

"Yeah." There was a pause. "I've gotta get off, Kyuhyun. Got to meet Donghae for lunch. But... Call me again, ok?"

"Why don't you come for a visit instead?"

"I'll try." Eunhyuk replied. "See you."

"Bye."