Contract of Cohabitation

"Let me move in with you and I won't spill that you're Kim Jonghyun!"

Ha Neul’s POV

I did it!

I’ve found a place to stay!

I don't have to sleep on the park bench tonight!

Thank God that jerk-slash-evil kid-slash-now my roommate has such a recognisable face!

 

FLASHBACK ---

"Let me move in with you and I won't spill that you're Kim Jonghyun!"

"Yeah, sure... Wait, WHAAAT??!!!!"

"I said if you let me move in with you I won't tell anyone that you, Kim Jonghyun from SHINee, are attending Seoul University disguised as the most repulsive nerd of the university."

He blinked once; as if had to convince himself that he heard right.

"No," he then stated. "Do you think me dumb enough to let you, who already know more than enough about me, stay at my apartment?!"

"Pfffft! Don't worry, I'm not interest in the os underneath your bed!" Ha! He's blushing! Guilty~! "Or are you, by any chance, hiding an illegal nuclear laboratory in your closet?"

"Yeah, right! And since I can't let anyone find out that I'm actually a terrorist, I absolutely cannot let you stay at my apartment! Sorry, but you'll have to come up with another condition..!" Haha! Nice try! But you're battling against a homeless person, here; there's no chance you're gonna win!

"It's alright! The laboratory and terrorist thing, I'll keep it a secret!" I promised with a big smile. But when I continued I made sure my tone got the implication across: "I can't guarantee about the disguise thing though..."

"But my apartment is not that nice..." He tried to discourage me.

"Don't lie. You live in the most exclusive building in whole Seoul!"

"And I never clean!" Well, of course, you don't.

"But, I'm sure, you're maid crew does so at least every day!"

"I have no maids."

"Your nose is growing longer and longer with every sentence..."

"I'm not lying; I have neither a cook, nor maids nor any other servants! ... Whose fan do you think those women all are?" He quietly added. Oh, yeah, right. Forgot.

But I would even deal with a dirty exclusive apartment. I wasn't going to change my condition.

"I can be very stubborn," I told him.

"Me too," he replied.

We glared at each other; neither of us wanting to give in. (A/N: Note that they haven't moved yet...! (So, their position is...) ><)

But it seemed that not only did his presence damage my mind, it also appeared to be bad for my health: My heart beat picked up, breathing became somewhat difficult, and I felt slightly nauseous due to the prickling sensation in my stomach.

So I broke eye-contact first and instead reminded him that it was still me who knew his secret.

His glare just intensified. Not improving my well-being. On the contrary. Now, all the places we were touching started to become really warm too.

Don’t tell me, I…

…am allergic to him?!

These symptoms reminded me an awful lot of that incident a few years back when I was swimming at the beach and crossed paths with a jellyfish. If that boy hadn't been there to rescue me I’d probably still be keeping the fish company down there. It hadn’t been a dangerous jellyfish according to what the doctor at the hospital later told me. But my body believed otherwise causing me to get an allergic reaction from a very usual and very harmless jellyfish… =_=

Anyway, back to the present; let’s make this clear once and for all!

“So you don’t care if I go to class tomorrow telling anyone on the way what a unique fashion style their esteemed idol has?” I know I’m playing very dirty right now >< but please consider my current situation... I really don't want to spend the night on this park bench!

I could hear him grinding his teeth and I think I'd never been this grateful before that looks couldn't kill...

"Unfortunately, I DO care. So, fine!" He hissed. “You can have my guest room!"

“I heard you!” I said as I got up. Finally!!! Any longer and my heart would have given out! But seriously, who’s allergic to another human being?!? Maybe I should go see a doctor?

I walked around the bench to get my luggage. I put my two bags on my suitcases and grabbed a bag and suitcase with each of my hands. Then I turned around expecting him to lead the way to his apartment.

But he was still lying on the ground; not moving an inch.

“Oy! What are you doing?! Get up!!!”

“Shiro.”

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. This guy!!!!!!

“Kim Jonghyun. Your mind may not have processed it yet, but you just agreed to me moving in with you. And as I do not have a key yet I need you to open the door for me.” I smiled through gritted teeth.

“My mind is fine, thank you very much!” he snapped. “Concerning the key; you’ll simply have to wait until I’ve finished my nap. Which, by the way, you have interrupted!”

“And how long will this take?”

“Don’t know. But every time you speak it gets prolonged.”

“You know, the last time I brought that I was ten!”

“Are you implying that I am a kid?!”

“Oh, dear! You’re so smart!” I chirped sarcastically.

“I’m NOT a kid!!!!!” He was fuming. Hmpf, you just proved the opposite.

“Yes, you are.”

“Am NOT!!!!!”

“Sure, you are.”

“I.AM.NOT.A.KID!!!!”

“Well, you’re arguing like one…”

“So are you!”

“But I do not care being called a kid.”

He gave me a weird look.

“Kids are cool!”

Now he looked completely flabbergasted. I laughed.

“Maybe cute, yes. But cool?” He questioned.

“Yes, why not? Of course, they are cute. They need to be; so that their mommies keep looking after them even when they are being a pain in the neck. But besides that they have this natural humour that adults lack; they’re always honest if you let them; and they do not judge you by the exterior as they are too young to understand the adults' complicated sense of beauty. I think that’s cool.”

“Maybe~” he said still thinking about it. “But why do you think that is?”

“I don’t know…” I replied after thinking for a minute. “I think they just look at the world in a completely different way… Maybe it’s because they look at it from a different perspective than we do? Nearer to the ground..?” Okay, the last sentence was complete nonsense. It was solely meant to tease the kid lying at my feet… ;-P

“I’m no kid!!” Bingo! Kekeke...

“Arasso, arasso! But, on the side, why do you hate it so much when people talk about your height?”

"No reason."

"Sure. And Isaac Newton was a woman."

"Pft! ‘Isaac Newton was a woman’?!” He snorted. “What happened to the good old 'And I'm the emperor of China'?"

"Too outdated; China's last emperor died before I was even born."

"But Newton is still alive?!"

"No, of course not!" For how stupid does he take me?! "That's why I said 'was a woman'! But I can't very well say that I was the emperor of China, can I?!"

"That would really be an interesting statement," he grinned.

"Yup. That would either make me an immortal or a ghost."

"A ghost."

"What?"

"You'd be a ghost."

"How come?" I eyed him sharply. Why did I know that what he was about to say wasn't going to be something flattering?

"Immortals are supposed to be beautiful," he said with a smirk. See?

"Right. I'd be a very ugly ghost that would have nothing else to do than haunt you and make your live miserable!"

"I'd like to see you try!" He mocked.

Okay, he asked for this!

"Sure! From now on I'll behave like a ghost in front of you! Let's see how long you're going to keep saying that!" I challenged.

"Fine with me! But remember that ghosts are invisible. So you can't let me, and anyone who knows me, see you!"

"But usually, the person haunted by the ghost can see it..."

"That's true... But to all other people involved with me you have to be invisible! And you can't move things around in my apartment 'cause ghosts can't move things either!" He said and sat up. (Yup, he'd been lying on the ground all through our conversation! Guess he didn't care about the eye level...)

"Sure." Let's let him believe that. *smirk*

“Good. Then, now that this is settled, I’ll be off to work,” he said as he stood up and walked away… Away from the building his apartment was in.

“OY, aren’t you going to let me in first?!” I shouted indignantly while running after him.

“Aren’t you a ghost?” He gave me a look and continued walking. “Go dissipate through the door then!”

Okay, that was it. That was the last straw! I think I snapped right then and there. It had been a very exhausting day and the only thing I wanted was to put my luggage down and go to sleep! Was that too much to ask?!

I ran in front of him forcing him to stop dead – he nearly ran into me. I took a deep breath and threatened through clenched teeth: “Open the goddamn door now! Or I’ll go running around the neighbourhood screaming ‘SHINee lives here! Come and take a look at Jonghyun’s boxer shorts!’!”

At least, he was smart enough not to dare me on that as well.

As I could have guessed, his apartment was the one on the top floor. Which made the elevator ride rather long and awkward. I was cramped in the back of the cube together with my luggage while that jerk-slash-terrorist was beside the door.

It’s not that the elevator was small. Quite the opposite actually! But there was a chair and a small table inside it right next to the doors. (Talk about wasting energy; moving that up and down all the time!) And since that jerk insisted that he had to sit on that chair and that he needed enough leg room (two third of the approximately nine-square-meter-space!!) I had no other choice.

We didn’t say a word; instead I kept fumbling with the spare key I’d gotten from the security guy downstairs. At least he’d agreed to let me have a key to his apartment.

Once we finally reached the top he got out immediately, leaving me to deal with my luggage. I had to climb over them to get to the elevator doors so I could drag them out one by one.

Just as I was finished he appeared again pertly asking how long it could possibly take to get one’s luggage out of an elevator. Not much of a gentleman, is he?

He’s apartment was gorgeous though. I tell you, plain gorgeous! ‘Not that nice’ my ! As his apartment covered the whole top floor he had an all-round view over Seoul! His balcony was twice the size our living room had been and my old bedroom would have easily fit into his bathroom! He had Samsung’s newest HiFi system and there was a brand new Canon EOS camera lying on the launch table. And all that for one single person!

To think that I had been looking for cheap one-room-studios last week! Haha, I guess you could say I’ve hit the check pot!!

I was about to open another door to explore the room behind it when, suddenly, someone grabbed my hand. I looked up and saw that jerk smirking at me. What?!

“I knew you were a stalker!”

I gave him a what-the-heck-look.

“That’s my bedroom, you know…” He said in a voice he probably thought y. To me it sounded more like he was on a trip.

“Sorry, didn’t know,” I apologized and turned away. “Anything else I should know? Something that’s off limits?” I mean, I’d prefer not to stumble upon his hidden nuclear laboratory, if it could be avoided.

“Hm, you’re right. We should probably set up some rules…” He agreed. “Let’s make a contract!”

“Like in those hilarious dramas? Sure.” In the end they always break them anyways… ^^

He got his laptop, opened a new word file, and tipped ‘Contract of Cohabitation, dd.mm.yyyy’. On the next line followed his first rule: For this is MY Kim Jonghyun’s apartment Hwang Ha Neul will do as he says.

“Oy, isn’t this a little bit to general? You could ask me anything!” I protested. Hyo Rin said he was a notorious playboy and I had no intention of losing my ity in the near future... Let alone to him!

“Let’s add ‘if it is about a matter concerning the apartment or life of Kim Jonghyun,’” I suggested.

“That sounds like I’m about to die…”

I raised an eyebrow. “Rest assured; I don't plan on killing you! (Yet, I thought.) You’re the terrorist here, anyway.”

“Okay. Now, rule number two: Hwang Ha Neul will put her stuff solely into Kim Jonghyun’s guest room and NOWHERE else. In fact, Ha Neul is prohibited from touching anything at all.

“Scratch the last sentence. It’s impossible to follow, anyways.” How can you live in an apartment without touching anything? Seriously, this guy!!

“Fine, I’ll change it to ‘Hwang Ha Neul will pay for anything she’s broken,” he grumbled.

I rolled my eyes. Who wouldn’t do that anyway? Oh! But…

“But what about the kitchen, the laundry, and the bathroom?”

“Hmmm, let’s do it this way!” He mumbled and tipped: For the food Hwang Ha Neul will get a shelf board in the fridge and one in the cupboard.  She can do her laundry on Thursday. And the blue cupboard in the bathroom will have to suffice for her toiletries.

“And don’t you dare touch my food!” He added while giving me a warning look.

“Yeah, yeah. Now, my conditions: You cannot ask anything from me that would damage my private space. Then Next:—“

“That’s unnecessary; I’d never do that!” He interrupted me and looked me up and down. “Puh-lease! To you?! No way!”

“Thanks for the compliment!” I replied sarcastically. “But still, write it down! You never know! Then: If you bring someone over, you have to tell me beforehand so that I can go into ghost-mode.”

“Makes sense, somehow,” he nodded and tipped it in. And stealthily he added ‘Hwang Ha Neul can’t bring anyone over‘.

Sneaky! But oh well, who was I going to bring over to someone else’s apartment? Moreover to the one of a famous idol?!

“Okay. And while we’re on the subject; outside of this apartment, we’re strangers! Let’s make that rule number five… Okay done.” He looked up. “Any other unnecessary conditions?”

“Umm…” I pondered for a second. Oh, yes, there is! “You can’t fall in love with me. Absolutely not!”

“Never!” He exclaimed as if it was the most repulsive thought possible. “The same goes for you too!”

“No problem at all!” I scoffed. Not until hell freezes over!

“Wow, we’ve really written the perfect cohabitation contract for a TV drama! Even the last point is so cliché!” He snorted after he’d printed it out twice. We both signed them.

(A/N: Disclaimer: I (unfortunately) do not own a signature of Jonghyun, but luckily someone put her/his on the internet… Thanks to that someone!!! ^-^)

“Okay. Let me show you the guest room. All this pinkness is irritating my eyes!” He then scowled towards my suitcases and walked out of the living room.

I looked at the contract in my hands and smirked reading the fifth condition again. What would Hyo Rin say if I was suddenly acquainted with ‘the most repulsive student of whole Seoul University’ as she puts it?

"Do you already know where the guest room is that you're not following me, Ghosty?!" Mr. Terrorist shouted from somewhere.

Oh yeah, right! ...but, Ghosty??!

I got off the couch and went into the direction where his bellow had come from. He was waiting beside a small door at the end of the corridor and leaning on the wall with an annoyed expression on his face. When he saw me he tapped on the door and walked back to the living room. I guess that's it then, huh?

END OF FLASHBACK ---

 

------------------------

Thanks for supporting my story so far! <3 Please continue to do so!

@big-bang-SHINee-SNSD: I've seen To the beautiful you, haven't done anything else for two days >< Kyaaaa, I think I died several times due to giddiness overflow..!! Thanks for telling me about it!! ;D