The Talking Indoor Plant

"Let me move in with you and I won't spill that you're Kim Jonghyun!"

Jonghyun's POV

“JONGHYUN O-OPPA, SARANGHAE!!!”

I recognised her voice instantly.

S-saranghae…?

She loves me…

She said she LOVES me!!!

I felt a huge HUUUGE silly grin tugging at the corner of my lips.

She looo-hoo-oo-ooves meee~~!!!

Wait… why am I so happy about this? She probably didn’t even really mean it… Probably only shouted something random to interrupt the show… So…? Do I want Ghosty to love me, or something…? Don’t tell me I—

“Oy, hyung, I am talking to you!”

Huh? I felt someone poking my shoulder so I looked up. “I’m sorry. What did you say?”

“I asked whether you are alright or not…?” Minho repeated (probably) his question. He was eying me with concern. “You are so quiet…”

“Of course, I am alright!” I beamed at him. Why wouldn’t I be? That Ghosty announced loud and for everyone to hear that she loves me!! WOOHOOOO~!!!

Though, it looked like my members didn’t believe me. Rather the opposite actually; for some weird reason they grew even more worried…?

“You’re… laughing…?” Onew hyung asked as if that was the most unthinkable thing ever.

What the…?! Ghosty just sorta confessed to me!! What about that should make me feel NOT happy, huh?! Or…? I remembered how Onew had asked her to call him ‘oppa’ and how he’d stood up for her during the flip-the-coin game on the night my members slept over at my place. I scoffed. “What! Are you jealous, or something?!” Well, sorry to break it to you, hyung, but that girl is MY roommate! And she sleeps in MY bed every night! Hugging MY handsome self! With MY—

“Jealous? Why would I be jealous??”

Ahh, he’s still at the denial stage! Well, I’m already past that…!

Wait, what? I’m not making sense……

Anyway. Back to Onew hyung! “Oh, but of course you are!”

“Hyung, you sure you’re alright? You’re behaving veeery weirdly…!” Taemin stared at me with big eyes. Aigoo, now him as well…?

“Yess!” I emphasised. “I’m alright! Really!”

But Key was still unconvinced. “Even though the MC just asked you a question about HER???”

I blinked.

Omo. I’d COMPLETELY forgotten about that.

Holy sh!t.

What kind of Ghosty physics had that girl worked this time?! To clear every last thought about THAT woman out of my head with just one sentence! And to make me relax the second I heard her shout my name and realized that she was among the audience!

Come to think of it! Why was she even here? Didn’t she say that she had some important business to finish today?? I let my eyes wander over the sea of fan signs, searching for her.

Almost instantly I spotted her in the upper left corner as she was trying to hide her face behind the banner she held in her hands. All she probably wanted right now was to be invisible. Haha, I could already picture her covering her face in embarrassment while muttering some incomprehensible curses at herself!

I might not have been able to see her face, but I still knew for certain that it was her. I clearly recognised the pair of beige pants combined with the dark green pullover, and the beige-brown furry gilet from this morning.

And even without that it would have been easy to find her; for the whole studio was turning their heads to get a glance at the girl who had dared to go against the director's words and fangirled even when she wasn’t allowed. I had to bit my lip to keep from smiling. The fact that the righteous and always guarded Ghosty would actually go this far just to save me, that she would do something as impulsive as forcefully drawing all attention to herself just to interrupt the show; somehow that made me insanely happy.

Though, I guess I was the only one who found this a reason for rejoicing. It was impossible to miss the annoyance in the director’s voice as he hurriedly shouted to go to commercial. And the other staff also didn't look too pleased...

I hope she doesn't lose her job because of this...

Nah, Lee Soo Man knows about THAT woman, so if I explain the situation to him, he surely wouldn't fire her...! And besides, she’s still living at my apartment. So, if this really would cost her her job – which I don’t think it will – then she still wouldn’t be hungry or out on the streets.

Even up to now, it had always been me who bought and paid for the food. Not that I minded! God forbid SHE went and bought our food! I’m sure she would return with some… I don’t know… Probably the first rubbish that the saleswomen at the marked managed to fob off on her! I seriously couldn't comprehend how she had been able to survive until this day! No wonder she had an overprotective brother with a severe sister-complex...!

My thoughts got pulled back to reality when I heard the director shouting another order. “Someone get that troublemaker out of the studio!”

Oh no…

 

Ha Neul’s POV

“H-Ha Neul…?” Hyo Rin whispered. “Wha-what was that just now?”

But I did not dare look up.

 “Oy, Ha Neul! Hyo Rin whispered again, this time sounding more pressed. “One of the staff is coming this way!” I looked up, the panic probably written all over my face.

She was pointing to the left side of the studio and I followed her finger only to see a guy who looked anything but pleased walking in my direction. Uh-oh…

“Okay. I’m outa here!” I threw the banner into her lap and dashed towards the right, away from the guy. I heard him calling after me but like hell I was going to stop! I stumbled over several legs of other audience members until I finally reached the exit.

I closed the door to the studio behind me and ran down the corridor while repeatedly looking over my shoulder to check whether that guy was still following me. Only after I’d turned at several corners and never saw anyone chasing me, I finally relaxed.

Whew~! I just hope no one recognised me!

Suddenly, I felt something vibrating against my tight and I jumped. But realising that it was only my cell phone I sighed relieved. I shook my head at my nervousness and whipped it out.

I had a new message. From Jonghyun.

Thank you. Come meet us after the interview’s finished at the studio.

That is all??

After I’ve willingly humiliated myself in front of everyone to save his that is all he has to say?!! That…! Aish!!

And back to the studio?! Does he want to see me get fired that badly?!

But still, I sneaked back after about half an hour and waited besides the door. I figured since they (hopefully!) didn’t see my face I could just pretend that I was a normal company worker waiting for them to finish.

And besides, I was still a little worried. Yes, I didn’t know either what had gotten into me but somehow I just couldn’t stay indifferent anymore whenever it came to a certain Alien Terrorist…!

 

Narrator’s POV

In the meantime, Hyo Rin desperately tried to convince the guy that it hadn’t been her who had caused the commotion. But evidence was speaking against her as she was holding the banner in question right in her hands. And in the end she was still forced to step out. Though the security staff had to practically drag her out…

Outside, Hyo Rin looked at the closed door to the studio and cursed the stupid security staff a thousand names in her head. Then, after calming down a little, she dialled Ha Neul’s number but no one picked up. Hyo Rin frowned a little, wondering why Ha Neul wasn’t answering her phone. But then she shrugged it off as her having no signal inside the building.

She looked down the empty corridor and suddenly she grinned mischievously. Well, she wouldn’t be Park Hyo Rin, if she didn’t use this once in a lifetime opportunity of being inside the house of the Gods!

 

--------

Back inside the studio, the interview continued and after about half an hour it ended without another incident. The director and SHINee thanked everyone for their hard work and they concluded the recording.

“That fan sure shouted at the right time, back there, huh?” Key carefully remarked and casually slung his arm around Jonghyun’s shoulder. He knew he was touching on a delicate topic by mentioning the incident related to Jonghyun’s mother but he just had to say it. “Too bad we couldn’t see her face! Then we could have thanked her for unknowingly saving you, if we ever get to see her again…”

“It was Ghosty….”

“Eh? What did you say?”

“Nothing.” Jonghyun stepped away from Key and opened the exit door. But under the door frame he halted again. “I said it was Ha Neul…” He mumbled and was gone.

Key stared at the now empty door frame. “Ha Neul…?” He turned to Onew who stood beside him. “Ha Neul?! That was Ha Neul?!! Why? How?? When-And how does he know?? Nobody saw her face!”

But Onew just smiled.

“And why are you smiling like you know something I don’t?!!”

“Who knows something you don’t?” Minho popped up behind the two and Key whirled around. “Did you see the girl’s face, Minho?” He inquired, now completely in his Sherlock Holmes mode.

“The girl who saved Jonghyun hyung?” Minho asked back, feeling slightly surprised by Key’s sudden attack. But then he shook his head. “No, I didn’t. And I don’t think anyone else did either. She kept hiding her face with her hands… Why do you ask?”

But instead of answering, Key turned to the Taemin. “And you didn’t see it either, right?”

The maknae shook his head as well. “No. But why do you want to know?”

“Because Jonghyun said that it was Ha Neul!! But no one saw her face, so how would he know?!”

“Ehhhh? Ha Neul? She was in the audience? I didn’t see her…” Minho scratched his head and Taemin agreed: “Me neither…”

“Exactly! NO one noticed! Except him apparently…!” Since the night they had slept over at Jonghyun’s place Key had always had this feeling that there was something that his hyung wasn’t telling them!

“By the way, where is he?” Minho looked around.

Key pointed towards the door. “He was out almost the second the interview ended! He didn’t even talk to the audience like he normally does…!”

Taemin walked over to the door and scanned the corridor. Then he looked back to his hyungs. “Well, right now, he’s just outside the door talking to a plant…”

“Whaaat?!!” In an instant Key was at the door too and peeked out. And Minho followed suit.

And yup, right there their hyung was. Seemingly talking to an indoor plant.

“What the hell is he DOING???” Key muttered completely flabbergasted. “Why is he talking to a friggin’ PLANT???”

“You guys are pathetic.” Onew laughed looking at their backs and shook his head. “You look like little kids trying to get a glimpse of Santa Clause. If you are that curious, just walk over to him already!” He yanked the door open and the tree peeping toms almost fell on the floor.

“Hyunggg~!!” Key complained. “I was just working on an important case!”

“Your ‘case’ would be solved in an instant if you just went over and checked what he’s really doing…!” Onew retorted and rolled his eyes. “Because of what I see, he’s NOT talking to the plant!”

“He’s not?” Key looked over to Jonghyun again. And Onew was right, Jonghyun wasn’t talking to the plant; he was talking to a girl!

 

----------

Let’s go back a few minutes, to the moment Jonghyun had left the studio. He had stepped into the corridor and looked around, his eyes searching for Ha Neul. He had then finally noticed her hiding behind one of the indoor plants decorating the hallway.

He walked over. “Hey, what are you doing? Hiding over here…?”

She just gave him a grumpy look but couldn’t completely mask the worry in her voice. “Are you alright?” She asked and searched his eyes.

He bit his lip and scratched his neck. “I guess… Thanks to you saving me…” He looked up to meet her eyes. He’d wanted to say this to her personally and not just via a message. Because he really meant it. “Thank you.”

Ha Neul swallowed. He was sincerely grateful. She could see it in his eyes and in the small but tender smile on his lips. And it made her heart skip a beat.

“O-of c-course!” Damn, why was she stuttering?! She had to lower her head to let her hair cover her hot cheeks.

Seeing this Jonghyun smiled amusedly. “Oy, what are you doing? Why are you hiding your face?” He bent down trying to see her face and noticed the rosy colour of her cheeks. “Are you… blushing?” He asked. A fact that he found highly exhilarating.

Her head snapped up at the accusation. “I’m not!” She glared at him but her cheeks had proved her wrong even before she’d said it.

And for the second time today, Jonghyun had this silly smile plastered on his face as he cupped Ha Neul’s face. “Awww, I made our poor Ghosty blush~!” He cooed and watched as Ha Neul became even more flustered. She was blinking rapidly and holding her breath while her cheeks grew even redder. And Jonghyun couldn’t help but think of how cute she looked like this. Moreover, he was the one doing this to her!

“Ha Neul?!!! It IS you!! How have you been?”

Jonghyun immediately jumped away from her and turned around. “Key…!” He grumbled, clearly not pleased with the interruption.

And that irritation grew by a whole other notch when Key extended his arms, obviously planning to give Ha Neul a friendly hug. Totally not liking Key’s intention, Jonghun casually grabbed his right arm and pulled him around, making it conveniently so that Key missed Ha Neul. “Yeah, it IS her. Didn’t you notice?” He said and cocked an eyebrow.

“No I didn’t,” Key shot back. “And F.Y.I! No one else had either. You’re the only one who apparently saw her face…!”

“You saw my face?!” Ha Neul tugged at Jonghyun’s arm making him turn to her again. “Then I was recognised?! Ohmygod! Then…”

“Oy, calm down! I didn’t—“

“Then someone else might have recognised me too! Omg!” She glanced around anxiously as if she feared that someone would suddenly pop out of nowhere and arrest her. “Omo-omo-omo! What if he tells the president?! He’ll fire me…! He’ll surely fire me!! God, I’m going to kill that Hyo R—“

“YAHH! I said calm down!!” Jonghyun grabbed her shoulders and slightly shook her. That silenced her alright. She quickly glanced at his hands on her shoulders before she again stared at Jonghyun.

And seeing her gazing at him with those wide eyes, Jonghyun sighed. “I didn’t see your face. So calm down already. And no one is going to fire you. Lee Soo Man knows about HER so as long as I’d explain it to him, he wouldn’t fire you. Okay?” He searched her eyes and smiled reassuringly. “Have you calmed down now?”

 “Yes.” Ha Neul breathed out. “Thanks.”

“Wait-wait-wait! So… So it really was you who shouted?!” Key stared at Ha Neul with utter disbelieve. She nodded. “And-and you intentionally choose that moment?! Because… because you know… ‘bout…?!?” This was so unbelievable Key had difficulties to even put it into words!

But of course, Ha Neul still understood what he meant and she cast Jonghyun an unsure glance. Was she allowed to tell them that she knew?

He sighed and shrugged his shoulders as if he was saying: “Well, what choice do we have?”

“Yes,” Ha Neul thus answered. “Why else do you think I would shout something embarrassing like that in the middle of an interview?”

“Ehhh? Seriously?! You told her, hyung?!” Minho, looked back and forth between Ha Neul and Jonghyun, stunned. “But you never tell anyone about this! She’s probably about the third person besides us and your family who knows about her!”

I am?, Ha Neul thought surprised. She didn’t know why but the thought that she was one of the very few people who knew this about him made her really happy. It was like she was someone special to him.

 

---------

Meanwhile, Hyo Rin was haunting idols, though not very successfully. So far, she had only come across the manager of TVXQ; without his boys. Of course she’d tried to follow him but then he’d gone to the basement garage and had left in a van.

So now, Hyo Rin was back in the hallways trying to be inconspicuous. She had even picked up a clipboard she’d found lying around somewhere and had tied her hair into a bun, thinking that it would make her look like a coordi noona. She straightened her cardigan and was just about to continue her way with her head held high, when someone spoke right next to her.

“Hey, coordi unni! Go get me a drink! I’m dying here!”

Hyo Rin turned around not really thinking that she was the one being addressed. She unsurely pointed at herself. “Me…?” She asked the girl who was sitting on the chair with her legs crossed and her pink Gucci handbag in one hand and her pink cased smartphone in the other.

The girl rolled her eyes and sighed annoyed. “Yes, you! Or do you see me talking to someone else?” The girl looked at Hyo Rin as if she wasn’t even worth her attention were it not for the drink she wanted.

Hyo Rin’s eyes wandered to the vending machine just two meters away from the chair the girl was sitting in and back to the girl again. “Errr, excuse me? The vending machine is right there…?” She said bewildered and pointed at the machine.

But the girl just stared back at Hyo Rin as if she was the last retard on earth. “Can’t you see my heels??”

Hyo Rin tilted her head to inspect at the girl’s heels. They, too, were bright pink and probably higher than the girl’s feet were long. Some people just don’t know when to stop…, Hyo Rin thought and shook her head. “So?”

“So?!” The girl’s voice was getting painfully high. “So I can’t walk over to the vending machine!!”

Then why even wear such torturous things?!

But Hyo Rin didn’t get to give the girl a piece of her mind because just then a guy she knew very well turned around the corner. Or at least from posters and such… ^^

“Choi Siwon~!” She whispered completely smitten by the appearance before her. He looked every bit the part that her bias of Suju should look like. Illegally handsome!

“Siwon-ah!”

Hyo Rin’s eyes darted back at the girl who was now almost running towards Siwon. The split second Hyo Rin had been captivated by her bias that girl had changed from a total into an oh-so-innocent goody-two-shoes! She had put on honey-sweet smile and clung to Siwon’s arm like it was hers!

Hyo Rin could only gape. W.T.F?!!! Double personality much?!!

“Jeong Sarang?” Siwon smiled surprised. “You’re back?”

And he actually bought her act?!!! Hyo Rin thought her eyes were playing a trick on her. But Jeong Sarang? I feel like I’ve heard that name before…? Hmmm, Jeong Sarang… Jeong Sarang…

“Yeah, finally! I missed you guys sooo~ much!” That girl – no, Jeong Sarang – whined and pulled off what she probably thought was a cute aegyo. Hyo Rin discretely barfed at the sight. Urrghh! Girl, clean up your slime first! Someone might slip, you know?!

But Hyo Rin had to watch with growing disdain as Siwon seriously started a conversation with Sarang, asking her how she had been and whether she had enjoyed her stay in the US.

Her stay in the US?, Hyo Rin wondered. Why did that ring a bell? Ah! I remember! Jeong Sarang! She was supposed to be the sixth member of f(x)! But three years ago, just before their debut, rumours started to spread about her having gotten the contract with SMent because of her parent’s connection with Lee Soo Man. And also about her going out with another SM artist! Though it was never specified with whom exactly… But because of all those rumours SMent eventually announced that she would be spending some time overseas and that f(x) would debut without her! So now she was back…?

Hyo Rin looked after them as Siwon and her walked away; with Sarang still clinging to his arm…

Che! I would totally believe it if the rumours are true!! “I missed you guys soooooooo~ much!” Hyo Rin imitated Sarang and shuddered. Uwaah! It gives you the creeps! But to think that Siwon didn’t notice anything! Are all guys this gullible?? She sighed. Haaa~, I don’t care anymore… I’m going home!

She took out her cell phone to call Ha Neul and tell her that she would be going home, when she saw that Ha Neul had already tried to call her multiple times. Oops…?

Hyo Rin quickly dialled Ha Neul’s number.

“Hyo Rin?! Where are you?? What have you done?? Who did you meet??? To how many celebrities do I need to send a letter of apology???” Ha Neul asked in one go after she’d picked up after the first ring.

Hyo Rin laughed. “You’re worrying needlessly again! I know how to behave myself you know?”

“You do?” Ha Neul asked back sceptically.

“Yah!” Hyo Rin protested playfully. “And besides… Who was the one who went and shouted ‘Jonghyun oppa, saranghae’ in the middle of an interview just now?”

It suddenly got very quiet on Ha Neul’s side and Hyo Rin grinned.

“I did…” Ha Neul finally mumbled. “But anyway! Where are you right now?”

“Uhhh…” Hyo Rin scanned her surroundings. “I don’t know?” She seriously had no clue where she was. “Where are you? How about I’ll meet you there?”

“Okay, sure. I’m still in front of the studio… But don’t get side-tracked on the way!” Ha Neul added in a reprimanding way. She knew her BFF!

“Arasso-arasso!” Hyo Rin grumbled. “But just so you know! Don’t think I will forget about the ‘Jonghyun oppa, saranghae’ thing! I—“

“Peep-peep-peep-peep-peep…” Ha Neul just cut the connection. God, how was she ever going to explain this to Hyo Rin??

“You’re blushing agai-hain~!” Jonghyun, who still stood right next to her, whispered. But so that only she could hear it. Immediately, her hands flew to her cheeks and she looked away.

“What? What is it?” Key inquired straightaway.

“Nothing,” Ha Neul mumbled and shook her head. “Hyo Rin said she’s on her way here.” And for only Jonghyun to hear, she added: “Stop making me remember!”

But he merely gave her the innocent look and Ha Neul had the sudden urge to kick his shin.

Though, just when she was about to raise her leg, Hyo Rin showed up and seeing that whole SHINee was present, she had a mini-fangirl-attack which required Ha Neul’s full attention.

After Ha Neul had finally managed to calm her friend down (it also took a hug from each member and two autographs…) Hyo Rin was able to converse normally again. (In other words to form a sentence that contained no words like omg, squeaaalll, kyaaaa, it’s SHINeeeee, ahhhh, etc.)

“So? What were you guys talking about?” She asked.

Ha Neul groaned inwardly. Here, her best friend had the opportunity to save her from her embarrassment and what did she do? The exact opposite! She sighed and cast Jonghyun a miserable glance.

But to Ha Neul’s surprise he actually helped her! “Uh, nothing much…” He replied lightly. “Just about our schedule for this afternoon and such…”

The other members looked at him puzzled. “We didn—!“ Taemin tried to, rightfully, object but he got silenced by Jonghyun’s blazing glare. “Mian~!” He mouthed intimidated yet slightly confused.

Hearing Jonghyun mentioning his schedule for this afternoon, Ha Neul turned to look at him again. He looks tired, she thought. Well, it was no wonder; lately he had been home rarely and when he was, then he had been learning or working again. Ha Neul wondered whether he was even still eating properly. And don’t even talk about getting enough sleep! Sometimes he wouldn’t even go to bed at all… Ha Neul knew, because after those nights she would wake up with the distinct feeling that something had been missing.

Ha Neul glanced at the other members; they, too, looked like they could use a break… So she decided to give it a try.

“Hey, um, I’d like to make a suggestion! How about today, instead of you guys practicing until you can’t stand anymore, we’ll go out and have some fun? The weather is also still nice and warm…” She looked around hopefully. “You can still rehearse all you want later… So, how about it?”

SHINee looked at each other questioningly first and then turned to Jonghyun. This was his question. Because he was usually the one who wanted to have everything down to perfection.

Ha Neul sighed. Well, this obviously needed some more persuasion…! “Ahh, I want to eat shrimps~!” She said wistfully and glanced at Jonghyun. And seeing that she had his attention, she continued: “Aigoo, I guess if I don’t get to eat them somewhere this afternoon, I’ll just have to COOK them tonight AT HOME…” Ha Neul made sure to emphasise the right words so that her message would get across to Jonghyun: Either he would agree to going out this afternoon or she would cook shrimps tonight! In HIS sacred kitchen!

And it worked. Although Jonghyun tried to burn her into silence with his glare but at the end he had to give in. “Fine let’s go out today…!”

After the first second of surprise s broke out in shouts of joy. They started discussing at once how it was best to get rid of their manager and how to slip past the security downstairs at the entrance.

And Hyo Rin shortly wondered how Ha Neul suddenly knew SHINee’s schedule so well.

 

-----------------------------

Heyy, dear readers!! :DD I made this chapter a little longer than average because I was hoping to put you in a forgiving mood by  doing so... ^^;;

'Cause I, um, I had to realise that I'm spending to little time on studying.. That's why, as much as I don't want to!, I have come to the desicion that I won't be updating that frequently anymore... :-(( I'm sorry!!! >< I don't want to put one of my stories on hiatus so that's the only solution I could come up with... *huuuge sigh*

I hope you understand and continue to read the story! I will try my best to make it interesting!

Either way, thank you for staying with me until now!! <3<3<3