New Friend

"Let me move in with you and I won't spill that you're Kim Jonghyun!"

Ha Neul’s POV

I stared at the building in front of us in fear. We were going to go in there?! It looked like it could crash any second! A light breeze and, whoosh, it would be reduced to a pile of dust! Like Oh Ha Ni's house in Playful Kiss! There was no way I'd even set a single foot in there! I value my life, you know?!

"Uh, I'll get off here, alright?" I said in a tiny voice just as he was about to steer the car into the entrance of the parking-lot.

He turned to look at me and his lips curled up in amusement. "Are you scared?"

"No, of course not!" I replied without thinking. Stupid pride talking!

He shrugged still smirking and stepped onto the gas pedal again. I clutched my seat with both hands and looked out the window. My stomach was feeling funnier with every rotten pillar we passed as he drove further and further into that damn parking lot!

I remembered what he said about why he had to park his car here instead of in the perfectly good parking lot of the university. (A/N: See chapter 14.) But no matter how much I understood his need for caution and secrecy there MUST have been another, less suicidal, solution!

Finally, he parked the car and got out. I wanted to follow but my legs refused. They were smart enough to realise that one is safest in the car surrounded by air-bags!

"Aren't you coming?" Terrorist Kiddy had put his head through the door. "We'll be late."

"Err, I think I'll skip today..." I mumbled.

He burst out laughing. Yah, here I am, being scared to death and he has nothing better to do than laugh his head off?! I shot him a weak glare.

"Hahaha! You really must be scared!" He chortled. Why thaaaank you for rubbing that in! "Even you're glare looks pitiful!"

I just sombrely stared at the bag on my lap while he had another round of laughter at my expense.

"But Ghosty, I've come here for two years now and nothing ever happened!" He tried to stifle his laughter but wasn't very successful. "So, will you please get out now so that I can lock the car?"

 

-------

It must be just my luck that despite it already being after the main lunch break there was still a long cue of people in front of the cafeteria. I sighed and my stomach grumbled along in agreement. I searched my bag; maybe there was still something edible in there. But of course there wasn’t. Hyo Rin had a different schedule that day and had eaten lunch earlier so I couldn’t ask her either. I just had to endure it; there were only about a gazillion people in front of me anyway… =.=

I looked around to distract myself but there was food everywhere; very helpful.

After a while I took off my jacket. It was getting hot amidst all these people…

Suddenly I felt someone tapping on my shoulder. “You alright? You look really like a ghost right now…”

I turned around and saw a hideous creature observing me attentively. It took my sugar-deprived-brain some seconds to figure out who I was actually facing. I frowned and turned around again.

“I’m fine,” I mumbled and took a step forward to close the gap between me and the person in front of me. I was too hungry to have the strength to bicker with him right now.

“Fine my ! You’re swaying like a ship in a storm!” He hissed.

I then felt myself being pulled away. And I guess I must have really not been alright because I just let him do so without resisting. Next thing I knew I was sitting at a table and he was holding an omelette into my face.

“Eat,” he commanded.

If you’re in the state I was in, then you eat anything. Even if it comes from a jerk or the university’s most hideous looking creature.

After he’d fed me a few bites I felt the blood reconquer my head and I noticed a few things: The food he was feeding me was from his own packed lunchbox. THE Terrorist Kiddy who threw a fit, if I even took but a sip from his milk, was feeding me HIS lunch?! Moreover FEEDING me?!?

Then, how on earth had he noticed that I had been feeling unwell?! I had been surrounded by a mass of people! And why would he even care?!

And lastly, that practically every pair of eyes inside the cafeteria was focused on the two of us. “Is she an idiot?!” I heard a girl behind me whisper. “Why would she eat with him?!”

“Right?” Another female voice answered. “And she let him feed her! She wouldn’t be… dating him?!” She said it like it was the most repulsive thing ever.

“Blehh~! Just thinking about it is gross!” The first girl said again and I felt irritation rise inside of me. Not because they were insulting my roommate – I’d done that too and he deserved it at times – but because they were judging a person solely based on he’s exterior. That’s something I’m very sensitive about. Things like appearance, family situation, or intelligence, things that one can do nothing about, one should never judge someone on those alone! Never! Rejecting a person without even giving the chance to show himself is very offensive and hurtful! It’s like saying: “No matter how hard you try, you’re still useless!”

I angrily shoved the food into my mouth.

“Maybe he paid her?” The girl then suggested and I froze in my movements. That sentence is taboo. I gritted my teeth and slowly put the chopsticks down. Then I turned around on my chair and lay my hand on the girl’s shoulder. Her head whipped around scared.

“Are you done already?” I snarled. “Do you know him? Or have you ever talked to him at least? I highly doubt it!” It took my every bit of self-control to keep my voice low and steady. I already had the attention of the whole cafeteria. No need to get the one of the people walking past too. “You have NO right whatsoever to even THINK about him this way! So shut yer trap and use those useless brain cells of yours to pass the next exam instead!”

I whirled around again, picked up the chopsticks and held some food into of Terrorist Kiddy’s face.

“Eat,” I smiled sweetly. “You must be hungry too.”

He stared at me with bewilderment. I guess my little outburst just now had been too unexpected… But I used the opportunity of his agape mouth and shoved the food into it.

“Now chew,” I instructed when he still didn’t move. He blinked and slowly started chewing.

“Good boy!” I praised and he nearly choked on his food. I handed him his glass of water. He took it and drank it all in one go.

“Why the hell are you feeding me?!” He then managed.

“To make it appear as if we were great friends?” I smiled.

“Great friends?! Did the blood-shortness in your brain leave lingering damage?!” The irritation crease was showing itself again.

“Shhh! Just pretend that we’re great friends!” I smile-glared.

“Why?!”

“To show those es that looks don’t define a person!”

“You sure are sensible on this topic…” But he was playing along now. His smile was dazzling…

“Not without reason…” I muttered distractedly.

“Care to tell me?”

“Here? Where people listen to every single word we say?”

“Okay, then later?”

“Maybe…” It was a difficult topic.

“I won’t forget!” He assured with a playful smile that made me catch my breath. How anyone could pull of such a smile while wearing a disguise like that was beyond me…!

I lowered my gaze and my eyes inevitably fell onto his lunch box. “Do you always bring your own lunch box?” I asked to change the topic.

“Yup,” he nodded. “The canteen food is just… bleh!” He pulled a face and I smiled. “Do you know how much chemicals they put in there?!” He exclaimed. “And how much salt to keep the taste?! It’s healthier to buy a hamburger at the McDonald down the street! And why are you smiling?! This is no laughing matter!”

“Because you’re cute when you’re all riled up…” I tried to bite back the smile.

“Cute?!” He yelped and his expression was priceless. I was giggling like mad.

“Are you laughing at me right now?!” He accused indignantly.

“Well, kekeke… you keke… were having a blast at me this morning as well!” I defended between giggles. He glared at me. But his lips were twitching.

“See?! Just remembering makes you laugh again!”

“But, hehe… your face was just hehehehe… too funny!” He was covering his mouth with his hand.

We looked at each other for a second and then we both burst out laughing. The entire cafeteria must have been giving us weird looks but, honestly, I didn’t care. Things like how to explain my sudden friendship with the university nerd to Hyo Rin, I would concern myself with later. At that moment, just laughing together with this guy felt too blissful to bother about anything else.

 

-------------------------

Hey everyone!! Happy chapter! I love happy chapters!! XDD

I read all your comments and really THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! I haven't had much time lately, but seriously, they made my day whenever I read them!! Love you guys! <33