.004

Nine Months

Title: The Red Umbrella

Rating: G

WC: 2,172

A/N: Everything is still unclear but for now, I can say I’ll be able to continue updating my stories. In which I would like to know, how’s the story’s approach to you guys? Let me know if it’s too fast, or if there’s some point were you can’t understand.

 

 

                Rain drops trickled down from Hyukjae’s window to where it should land. A series of lightning from the farther part of the city marked the gloomy sky as he stayed still, watching the pouring rain outside his office. He could imagine himself having a cup of coffee while watching the cold scenery outside, the need of hot caffeine made him a little bit excited. His eyes lingered on the little business across the street on his two o’clock, the smell of freshly ground coffee beans and the sweetness of the freshly baked bagels, Hyukjae couldn’t wait to reach the café. However, the urge of going there for the hot coffee with bagel and watching the passer bys halted when he remembered the situation outside his confinement.

He enviously watched the people going in and out of the café and made up his mind. He’ll have them, only he will not smell that aroma inside the store he’s been dreaming of. He was about to call his secretary through the intercom in his desk when a red umbrella amongst the dull colors that people used nowadays, caught his attention. His eyes followed it interestingly as dark blonde locks underneath the said protection showed up. Anticipation made the young CEO’s palm lay flat against his glass window.

The girl stopped in front of the café and Hyukjae couldn’t contain the possibility of the owner being the photographer that he met through Siwon, Gyuri. Koreans rarely dye their hair with such color, and if they do, it would be the idols. But Hyukjae remembered that Gyuri doesn’t look like one, and the percentage of that girl with the red umbrella being her, reached ninety eight percent (there’s still a two percent of demur, reasoning that he don’t want to expect much, even though it’s pretty much obvious that it really doesn’t change a thing).

The person behind the umbrella stepped closer to the shed provided by the store and turned around closing the umbrella and lightly shaking it off, giving Hyukjae the perfect view of her face and that grin that came across his lips. Without further ado, he grabbed his coat and stormed out of his office muttering something to Ryeowook about coffee and borrowing his umbrella.

He almost dashed out in the rain once he exited the building. He bit his lower lip as he tried to calm himself and walk in the opposite side of the street. Three days since that night in the club, Hyukjae can finally see her again. It has been, three long days of boredom and irritation, because apparently, Gyuri had managed to contact some of his friends, including her frequent textmate, Cho Kyuhyun. And Kyuhyun being Kyuhyun, made it a habit to mock him about it, he would ‘accidentally’ send him a reply (even though Hyukjae didn’t send him one) containing words that he only uses towards girls and would later send him a text saying ‘wrong send, supposedly for Gyuri’.

The nerve of the kid

But Hyukjae succesfully manage the past three days, there are times that he replied with ‘check the numbers carefully, Kyuhyun-ah’, and some times, he just ignores it completely. Although, he feels like being an outcast for not hearing from her, Hyukjae still feels good about it, after all, what happened in the club isn’t just a simple dance, he could tell. Just don’t let Kyuhyun say anything to Heechul, their tandem would do things that can make him crazy. Why was he always their target anyway? He’s Lee Eunhyuk, the well known young CEO of their generation, girls falls for him and boys wants to be him. He shouldn’t be treated like this, especially with a guy younger than him; he deserves more than just that. But, then again, to them he’s not the young rich bastard that feeds most of Korea; he’s just Lee Hyukjae, the guy they met during childhood.

He stopped in front of the café’s entry and placed Ryeowook’s umbrella on the rack, he looked on his left and glanced up at his office, hoping that his secretary switched on the dim lights and turned off the main lights and mentally noted to buy him a cup of hot coffee after his little meeting.

The imagination he had earlier didn’t fail him as he easily got swept by the aroma coming from the shop as soon as he opened the door. He went straight to the small line of people in front of the counter and secretly searched the room. His eyes worked quickly and spotted the girl he’s been wanting to see, sitting at the third table from where he stands. She’s busily staring down at her coffee as she twirl the teaspoon over and over. The man behind him tapped his shoulder and she was out of his sight, he apologized and walked up front placing a quick order.

Gyuri’s so much into thinking to notice Hyukjae standing on the side of her table. It was when he actually knocked on the wood that she raised her head and smiled at him, “Hey!”

He returned the smile and pointed on the chair across from her, “Can I take that?” She nodded and let her eyes follow him as he takes the seat and place his cup in front of him.

“What are you doing here?” Hyukjae couldn’t quite point if it’s the excitement that he’s hearing or she’s just really happy to have met him, either way, it meant to be something good.

“My work place is near, how about you? I’ve never seen you here before,” he bent his head a few centimeters and blew the air emitting from the hot coffee before taking a sip, sending that relaxing feeling through his stressed muscles.

“I was searching for a good place to shoot,” she tapped her finger on the table and sighed.

“It must be hard, your work I mean,” he tilted his head to the side.

“Well, nothing is easy, right? Unless, you’re that young CEO who owns that building right over there,” Hyukjae stiffened as she pointed towards his (his father’s actually) building, “But maybe he too, has these kinds of days, managing a large company must be a pain in the .”

He chuckled, “I bet all he does is party all night, and leave all the work to his secretary.”

“You think so?”

He shrugged and took another sip, the bitterness of the coffee beans and sweetness of the creamer blended so well, “He’s a rich bachelor, right? What do you expect?”

She nodded and sipped her own drink, falling to silence as a thunder rumbled loudly when the café’s door opened and a lady wearing corporate attire walked in.

“What’s your next project?” Hyukjae felt like the words just falls out of his lips; he’s actually feeling good about it. Never did he felt nervous when coming down here; he’s just too hyped to talk to her that it felt like she’s already no stranger.

She looked from her cup and put it down, “I’m planning to hang my pictures on a friend’s gallery in the coming expo next month.”

“So you’re not just a photographer for commercial ads and magazines?” He asked quite surprised.

“Yeah, I just got lucky to have a friend like Yoobin who pursues me to try other things”

“How did you two met? If I may ask,” he squirmed in his seat, slowly getting comfortable.

“High school, I lost my English book and she found it and then it just went on,” she smiled down on her cup and placed her hand around it, “How about you? How did all of you met?”

“Old stuff, like innocent children meeting each other in a random park near neighbourhood and sharing two pieces of cookies,” he slouched a little and propped his hand on the table, resting his head on his palm.

“Did you guys ever fought?” She crossed her arms and tilted her head.

“All the times, but if you mean like real fight, I think we haven’t yet.”

“Sounds like family”

His mind momentarily stopped, zoning out everything and just leaving his friends and Gyuri’s words. The reason why they never literally got mad at each other no matter what they do, was it because of that? Has it been really that long to say that they have already formed something like that? Or more like, they were already like that? Hyukjae is quite sure that he treasures them more than anything, and he’s positive that he won’t trade them for any means of success.

He smiled, “yeah”

Gyuri caught that smile that held the world’s most precious memories and can’t help but admire the guy holding it, “You’re warm.”

“Excuse me?” he straigthened his posture while arching an eyebrow.

She chuckled, “Nothing.” Then she grabbed her bag and stood up, Hyukjae immediately following suit with surprise written across his face, “It was nice to see you again, Hyukjae-ssi.” With a crooked smile, she left the café leaving an astounded Hyukjae staring blankly at the closed door.

 

“Ryeowook-ah, do I look sick?”

“Sir, I hope you’re aware that you’re breaking your own rule,” the man professionally stood in front of Hyukjae’s desk after the latter came back fifteen minutes later, looking like a lost dog in the rain and forgetting Ryeowook’s coffee (not like the latter would know about it anyway).

“But I’m positive that I haven’t acquired any sort of disease,” he confusedly looked at Ryeowook for an answer.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about sir.”

“Am I warm?” the secretary was taken aback when Hyukjae suddenly stood up grabbing his wrist and directing his palm towards his forehead, “Do you feel me warm?” He shook his head and retreated back his hand.

“Hyung, I don’t understand you,” Hyukjae exasperatedly gave up and sat back down, “I don’t understand too Ryeowook-ah.” He placed both hands in his face and sighed.

Worriedly, Ryeowook took the empty chair provided on the left end of his desk’s front and watched as Hyukjae run his hand through his hair.

“Hyung, what happened?”

“I met Gyuri an–”

“You met Gyuri?” the younger questioned.

“Okay, fine. I saw her entering the café and then I followed.”

“I knew something is up,” Hyukjae stared at him with a question mark, “Hyung, you hate going out in the rain.” He scrunched his upper lip in disagreement and utter denial, and Ryeowook returned the favor with a laugh.

“Tell me, what did she say?”

“She asked me if we ever had real fight, then I said no and she said we look like family and I agreed. And then, she told me I’m warm and just stood up and left me. Well, she did say that it was nice seeing me again, but still, she left me!”

“So, you’re acting like that because, basically, Gyuri left you?”

“It’s not just that, what does she even mean when she said I’m warm? Three days and that’s just all she have to say? That I’m warm? And why is her smile like that? She’s like Kyuhyun, I swear Ryeowook those two are like twins! They exchanged messages more frequently than supposed to be!”

“And you know this because?...”

“Because Kyuhyun’s been mocking me about it,” he crossed his arms and sent daggers to the unoccupied chair.

Ryeowook inwardly laughed at the sight, “Why would Kyuhyun do that?”

“Because I have a feeling that Kyuhyun knew something.”

“And that something would be...” Hyukjae hesitantly looked at him. “Come on hyung.”

“That I haven’t received any text from her,” he mumbled under his breath, looking elsewhere.

“I didn’t quite catch it hyung,” the secretary received a glare but Hyukjae repeated himself a little louder this time, enough to reach Ryeowook’s ear and have him laughing loudly inside the office.

“Yah!” the older shouted with cheeks flaring red.

“H-hyung, to sum everything up... You’re furious because Gyuri didn’t send you any message?!” he wiped the little tear that had gathered on the side of his eyes due to the excessive laughing.

“Yah! Who said I am furious?! I am not furious!” Ryeowook waved a hand as he still, tried to control the laughters trying to escape.

“Besides, I don’t really care if she texts me or not, or if she texts Kyuhyun everyday. I have better things to do than to get involved with her,” he huffed and pretended to be not so worked up.

“Can you hear yourself hyung?”

“Loud and clear, Ryeowook-ah”

The younger shook his head. “I should have recorded this,” and stood up. “Your mom called, dinner at seven in their house,” he received a groan but ignored the latter and his heel.

“Yah! Where are you going? We’re not finished yet.”

“Obviously we are sir,” he waved a hand not bothering to look back.

“Ryeowook-ah comeback here!” he shouted but is already too late for the secretary had already closed his door, “What’s with people leaving me today?”