.020

Nine Months

Title: Runaway

Rating: PG

WC: 2,270

A/N: I was reading the previous chapters and thought that ‘hey, I made a hell lot of mistakes and I think I need to change everything.’ But then today I realized how lazy I am that I just ended up making a new chapter instead of correcting those mistakes for a better plot story. I am ashamed right now. Anyways, I don’t really have much time at hand and was just lucky enough that there are no classes to interfere. So here I am, skipping the sacrament of matrimony for the sake of my lack in knowledge about the whole ceremony and process of it, giving you the after-marriage-effect and somewhat what happened before the marriage.

 

 

                “I can’t believe it’s over,” she laughs as she leans back in the passenger seat, Hyukjae was fast and in a second, had captured her lips to lock on his own. She hums with smile plastered in her lips and amusement in her eyes as she slowly pulled back, “And I can’t believe your friends would come running at full speed, what have you said?”

Hyukjae leans back in his seat and looks at the empty street, Gyuri doing the same. After a minute of silence, he laughs.

 

-~-

 

He uses the chance of Gyuri freshening up to make an urgent call to everyone. Surprisingly enough, it was Sungmin who first picked up with a threat in his voice. Hyukjae would’ve felt shivers down to his bone at the sound of it but it looked like what he said was a bomb to Sungmin that the older was dead silent for a few minutes.

“Is this a nightmare?” he asks out dumbly.

“No hyung, you’re awake and talking to me, and I said I’m going to marry Gyuri. Now.” He answers, eyes flickering towards the bathroom door in his room then back to the ceiling.

“I still think this is a nightmare. Wake me up when September ends.”

He sighs, “Since when have you started listening to Green Day?” For as long as Hyukjae had known the man, waking Sungmin isn’t supposed to be this calm, “But really hyung, I meant what I said. She’s actually in the bathroom right now, preparing. So please?”

“Wow, what have you had for dinner? What made things change like this? Can’t you postpone it until later when the sun is actually up?” He hears a shuffle at the other line and he knows Sungmin is getting up, “And Green Day has a bunch of good songs.”

“No, this is the right moment,” his eyes wanders back to the bathroom door and a smile forms in his lips. “And I had Gyuri for dinner.”

There’s a thud at the other line and his smile turns into a full-out grin, “Please stop. Too much information. I’m hanging up now, I’ll call Yesung.” He hums and as much as he hates how he flushes deep red when he mutters a shy thank you, Hyukjae is more than thankful for the older guy. “I don’t really know Gyuri personally, not as much as how you know her or how Siwon know her. But Hyukjae, I know how you look at people. I have only seen that look once, even so, I think how you look at her is much different from the past. This is you Hyukjae, don’t mess what you have been waiting all these years.”

He closes his eyes and he thinks he might cry, because Sungmin knows him better than himself. Instead, he laughs awkwardly and says, “You sounded like how your age is supposed to be. Can you believe it? I’m marrying first before you. Catch up hyung!” and hangs up even before Sungmin can rain him curses.

 

What supposed to be a life threatening phone call, turned out to be one of those father-and-son moment with the wrong person, and what supposed to be the calm person turned out to be the freaked-out one. Hyukjae swore he can hear Siwon’s long tirade of curses, live action. Wasn’t he the one who’s brought up with the teachings of the church?

“Don’t kid with me Hyukjae”

“I’m serious Siwon, I need your help. Please, I need someone that can officiate this wedding, right now.”

He hears a door shutting down and suddenly Siwon’s surrounding is quieter than before, “How do you expect me to find one at the moment? And did Gyuri actually agreed to this?”

“Yes, don’t make me sound like I forced her into this because I don’t. C’mon you’re friends with the church people, I know you have one in mind.”

“You’re abusing my kindness Hyukjae.” He bites in his lower lip and prays that Siwon doesn’t actually mean what is lingering in between those lines. “I’ll text you where, you owe me another one for this, the list kept on growing Hyukjae.” He smiles triumphantly and almost kisses his phone in glee.

“Can I ask for another though?”

“What?” The irritation in Siwon’s voice brings out the kid in Hyukjae, “I need rings, Siwonnie.”

“Damn you.”

“Yeah, I love you too buddy.”

 

Leeteuk was still in the middle of his dj-ing when he called in, and surprisingly enough, Sungmin had done him a favor to inform the dj and had even requested a song.

“You can’t always turn to us whenever you decide to go crazy. Now listen to this bastard.”

Hyukjae did as he was told, he held the phone thighter and he can hear Leeteuk’s voice (loud and clear) at the background, signing off to his listeners. Lastly, before I leave I want to say something. The craziest thing you could ever possibly do to the person most important to you is not by suddenly kissing her in front of her parents, but making her feel more important by making impossible things be possible. Remember that. So now I’ll leave you with this last song from The Corrs, running away with the one you love is crazy, but what could be more crazier than wanting to have a wedding ceremony when the priest is probably in his dreamland?

He cackles at how true his friend’s words are. Nonetheless, reality is fast approaching to his senses as the chorus of Runaway rings in his head.

 

At the third ring, Kangin picks up, and even before he can greet the guy, his jaw had already reached the depths of his bed. “Sungmin called me, What the hell dude? I don’t even know the girl. Why should I come? I don’t approve of her yet. Cancel everything!”

He abruptly shoots up, eyes widening in full size. “Hyung! You can’t be s–”

“I am Hyukjae. What if she’s like the first one? You can’t fall for another one.”

“But Siwon has known her before me, they’re friends before we met each other, and I know she’s not that kind of girl.” He reasons out, at the distance he hears the shower coming to a stop. He panics.

“Until I get to know her, I don’t approve.”

“Hyung! Everyone else does, what do I need to do to make you change your mind?”

“Put me as your only best man,” and it was like the silence ate him up until Kangin’s laughters pulled him out. He closed his eyes and sighed, when Kangin stopped laughing, he was smiling from ear to ear.

“That just meant how happy I am for you Hyukjae,” he nods in understanding though he knew no one would see. Perhaps it’s because he suddenly felt how much he missed the older guy, and he was glad Kangin could be there when he commits himself.

 

Sadly, Shindong, the one closest to Gyuri, is miles away from them. But Hyukjae never forgets the guy and sends him a message. He’ll save Shindong’s disappointment later for choosing to marry when he is away.

 

Compared to how Hyukjae had calmly called Ryeowook and Donghae and how the both of them said nothing but their congratulatory, Hyukjae is having a hard time pondering whether he should call Heechul and Kyuhyun or not. Just looking at their numbers and thinking of the wedding within the corner makes him recall all the times the two had bombarded him and embarrassed him in front of Gyuri. The days when Kyuhyun had bragged to him how he was always on the phone with Gyuri. Or that night when Heechul gave him the pack of that turned out to be a part of his misunderstanding with Gyuri when she found out who he was. But when he remembers the times when it’s just him and his friends, Gyuri out of the picture, the years he had spent with them even before he reached his current status, there’s no questions needed. He dialled the older first and ended the phone call with the maknae, all the while grinning at their self-proclamations that it was due to them that he had grown some balls to actually give in to Gyuri.

Maybe they were right, maybe not, but either way, Hyukjae knows he will see them both, smugly standing along with his other friends.

 

-~-

 

“Let’s just say that I’m loved by the majority of people,” the smirk falls off his lips when Gyuri presses her body in his side, head falling in his shoulder to lean.

“I still can’t believe this”

He nods slowly, the smell of her perfume reminds him of her vow, how she sounded so sure, so full of confidence with her I do’s.

Reality has never felt this damn good to Hyukjae.

“And can I just say how beautiful this dress is? I didn’t know you have such an eye for good materials.” He shifts in his position and hooks his hand over her shoulder, her weight now leaning against his chest.

Right after he ended the call with Kyuhyun, Hyukjae had scrambled to his feet and dug in his closet for that one box he had been saving for the right time to give. And right time is when they decided to marry and Gyuri realises she needs to go home and find a dress appropriate for marriage when Hyukjae not so blatantly gave her the box. Surprisingly, it was a white lace dress.

“Thank you,” she whispers, breath hot against his ears.

“For what?”

“I don’t know,” she snakes her hands around his waist and props her chin on his shoulder. “I’m not sure for what I should say that, but I know I need to. Thank you Hyukjae.” When he turns to his side, Gyuri is the most beautiful girl he had ever seen, there’s no questioning. She was glowing with the right amount of natural blush painting her cheeks and eyes shining under the moonlight. Anyone would die to be in his position, including him.

“Where’d you want to spend the honeymoon? We could go out of town, or out of the country. Maybe you’d wan–” His eyelids naturally closed on their own as soon as he managed to return the kiss. It was a lazy exchange with every brush of each muscle taking their sweet time to savor what’s for them. However, the hand that’s roaming Hyukjae’s torso begs to differ. While the kiss remains innocent, Gyuri’s hands did all the sensual talking. Taking refuge inside his tux, the fingers played dangerously across his skin.

He grabbed onto the steering wheel and breathed a sigh of relief when they pull apart. It’s getting pretty hard for Hyukjae to control himself around Gyuri - hell it has always been this hard from the start, epsecially if said girl is being this persistent. And he can already imagine how his new life will be, knowing that there’s no reason for him to hold back anymore. Gyuri is already his, if hickeys are not enough to prove that, then how about the change in her surname? Oh how Hyukjae would love to see the faces of people when he introduces her as his wife.

“Your bed is fine,” she whispers as she makes a trail of kisses down his neck. Hyukjae flutters his eyes open and blinks them thrice. Then there’s a bubbling thunder of laughter coming down from with in and Gyuri stops everything she’s doing.

“I never said anything funny,” she looks offended by his actions and Hyukjae reasures her when he cups her face to place a quick peck in her pouting lips.

“No baby. I was just reminded of something,” he kisses both her cheeks and stares at her adoringly. “Apparently, the guys are wrong and I did make a pretty good sense when I said I’d be marrying you.” She pulls back and frowns at him, but Hyukjae only laughs and pulls her inside his embrace.

 

-~-

 

“You don’t make any sense, you know that?” Siwon pushes a small box towards his chest, quite hard, when he steps out of his vehicle and leaves Gyuri inside. Everyone was there, all poised with their pristine tux.

“I thought I was crazy and yet you’re all here looking fresh and awake,” he arches an eyebrow but didn’t try to hide his infamous gummy smile. He’s going to be married within any minute now, why would he hide them?

“And we all thought you said she’s not the girl for you to marry?” He grins at Heechul but the man scoffs at the action. “I’m not easily swayed by that face of yours Hyukjae. I need details of how we ended here, and can we just hurry up and finish this ceremony, if you can even call this one as such. We’re the only witnesses, is this really a wedding?”

At the end of Heechul’s sentence, Sungmin carefully places a hand on his shoulder muttering a low, “You don’t really wanna delve in the idea of knowing how we ended here.”

But Hyukjae is a ball of excitement and he thinks Siwon might have caught up at how he groaned and how Heechul’s eyes sparkled when Sungmin shook his head as if he had just witnessed something he didn’t want to see and that Kyuhyun had been so quiet but he’s sure the way he smirked says he’s only saving his energy for later investigation, so he just smiles and winks, leaving them behind when a chorus of whistles erupted.