.022

Nine Months

Title: One Night, Three Weeks After

Rating: PG-13

WC: 1,425

A/N: I apologize but please, don’t get your hopes up from this update. I’m still in HIATUS.

 

 

                It happened one night – after three weeks of committing themselves in the matrimony of marriage – while they’re lounging in the living room watching some family oriented show, Gyuri using Hyukjae’s thigh as a pillow. There was no beginning signs of the impending doom, neither the other had said something that could lead them to yet again, new changes in their lives. So Hyukjae was more than flabbergasted at Gyuri’s sudden request at ten thirty in the evening.

 

“Excuse me?” He asks carefully, staring down at her doubtfully.

 

Gyuri remains indifferent, watching the show with so much interest she had no other intention to spare her own husband some of it. At least that’s what it looks like to Hyukjae. “I said,” she drawls, chuckling. Hyukjae wanted to close the TV for just a moment, because this is serious. “Buy me a pregnancy kit tomorrow.” Asking your husband to buy you a pregnancy kit is serious.

 

He inhales deeply, raising one of his eyebrows. “And where did this come from?” He changes the route of his eyes and accusingly stares at the innocent babies on the show.

 

The laugh that came out of her lips brought shivers down Hyukjae’s spine he started breaking into cold sweat. “Just do what I say.”

 

He falters, staring back down at her. “Gyuri, I need to know why.”

 

She shrugs, “What else is there to know? That I’m weeks delayed for my period? Or the fact that there was no involved last time?”

 

“Do you…” Hyukjae, for some unknown reason, feels a whirlwind of emotions just thinking about the possibilities. He starts quivering inside he had to stop and compose himself before he begins again. “Do you think you’re pregnant?” He weakly returns back his eyes on the show, where the babies are now crying for the bottle of milk, and gulps.

 

“Might be.”

 

 

 

Hyukjae thinks he should be happy. This is the day his mother has been waiting for, has been pestering him about for the last couple years of his life. Any man should be happy and be proud, but Hyukjae doesn’t think he’s feeling any kind of excitement or whatsoever. In fact, the shock over the request is still very fresh to him that it hasn’t really sunk in yet. They were fine just yesterday, everything was running smoothly, Gyuri had even brought him a surprise lunch at his work. Heechul was even openly giving him tips that embarrassingly made him choke in his own saliva he had to punch the older guy because Gyuri was there and listening intently and Hyukjae knows he’s capable enough when it comes to bed. He needs not any form of tips, especially from the kinds of Kim Heechul.

 

On second thought, perhaps it was Heechul’s doing that had triggered the question out of Gyuri, though Hyukjae have some suspicions of his own – those babies last night was just too cute that any person would want them. He groans into his drink, earning the attention of his companions.

 

“Rough night? Or was it morning?” Donghae teases, suggestively.

 

“He’s been like that the entire day,” Ryeowook informs them with nothing but good intentions solely.

 

Apparently, it sounded different to other people. Heechul smirks from across him in between Kangin and Yesung, leaning on the table like a predator. If only Hyukjae could wipe the smugness off of him with his fist. “Did my tips made wonders like magic?”

 

He rolls his eyes and takes another shot. Kyuhyun hasn’t spoken up yet and it’s making Hyukjae a bit worried albeit he’s glad. “You and your mouth.”

 

“Hah!” Heechul smiles so wide Hyukjae momentarily pities his false intuition. “I knew it!”

 

“I wish that was what happened,” he pauses and heaves a sigh. “But it’s not.”

 

Heechul’s triumphant grin wavers and he frowns immediately just as Siwon asks with confusion, “It’s not?”

 

He nods, leaning back against the couch. Everyone’s eyes are on him, Hyukjae could tell even without having to confirm it by staring at each of them. He wonders how Shindong is doing with his extended honeymoon and what would he say if he’s with them right now. “No. Gyuri wants me to buy her a pregnancy kit.”

 

“Excuse me but, what?”

 

“Gyuri thinks she’s pregnant.”

 

A collective gasp that was soon followed by an eerie silence was not a bad answer for Hyukjae. He had expected just as much. Even so, the word still feels so foreign rolling off of his tongue he fears it would haunt him even when he’s asleep. But Gyuri looked so peaceful when he woke up that morning, sleeping like a baby of her own, and Hyukjae had been spending extra minutes in bed just staring at her until she flutters those eyes like a butterfly’s wings opening its beauty to the world.

 

However, he still thinks that it’s too early for her to be pregnant.

 

“Oh,” Kyuhyun finally speaks, though without any form of malice that Hyukjae is sure he had in him some minutes ago. “Congratulations, then. I guess.”

 

“Stop. Please.” He rubs his face with his palm, groaning at the mess inside his head.

 

“You should be happy, dude,” Kangin interjects, peeling Heechul’s arm from him.

 

“I know,” he mumbles inside his palm.

 

“You don’t sound like it,” Leeteuk pulls off the hand covering his face and makes him open his eyes. “You don’t even look like it.”

 

“Don’t tell us you’re regretting it now.” Siwon quickly accuses, voice rising a little higher just as his goddamn eyebrows.

 

“No!” Hyukjae defends, schooling himself and finally giving his friends the right attention. “No, it’s not like that. It’s just that, it’s only been three weeks and now she thinks she’s already pregnant. Wasn’t that a little too early?”

 

“Yeah, like how you two got married in the middle of the dawn?” Heechul was back with sarcasm along with Kyuhyun snickering from the other end of the table. Hyukjae doesn’t even know why he was worried about the latter in the first place.

 

“Hyukjae’s right though,” Donghae muses. Hyukjae smiles gratefully at his friend, at least someone understands his plight. “That’s a bit early to think.”

 

Yesung rolls his eyes and points out that, “Unprotected can result to a lot of thinking but comes down to only one thing. It’s either you got her knocked up or not.”

 

Kyuhyun suddenly smiles dangerously Hyukjae regrets ever telling his friends his problems. “What hyung? Already used up the pack of condoms Heechul hyung gave as a present?”

 

When Hyukjae failed to respond within the second, Heechul outright laughed in his face. “Aww, it was your fault then. Perhaps you could use some know-how-to-control-your-libido tips. I’m free every Tuesday and Wednesday nights, you don’t even need to pay me. I’d be more than glad to help you with your little problem, my dear friend. What do you say?”

 

He groans and gives Kyuhyun the finger, thinking whether he should correct the older guy that it was not just his fault only. That Gyuri’s a little vixen when she feels like it and Hyukjae just so happens to be a very loving husband that is weak when it comes to his wife’s happiness. But nobody needs to know that unless he wishes for Siwon to bury him six feet under. Nope, not gonna happen. “I can control my own urges, thank you very much.”

 

“What are you so unhappy about then?” Leeteuk asks genuinely.

 

“I thought she’s the girl, Hyukjae,” Sungmin adds.

 

“She is.”

 

“Then what’s the problem? You guys are married already. It’s entirely okay for her to be bearing your child,” the older points out, cocking his head on the side. “Man up.”

 

 

 

Man up, he did.

 

Braving the crawling heat from his neck to his face, Hyukjae walks inside the pharmacy right after receiving a text from his wife about his whereabouts and reminding him of the pregnancy kit. He walks on the further shelf dragging his feet and ducking his head as low as possible. He looks around, freezing on his root upon spotting the boxes of pregnancy kits – right next to condoms. Great. Someone must be ing kidding with him right now. Maybe his friends are the ones behind this and they’re now currently laughing behind his back. Magnificent.

 

He groans and grabs one of the boxes, ignoring the hushed whispers coming from the other aisle of shelves, and storms to the cashier with a scowl leaving the pharmacist in panic.

 

Gyuri better be pregnant, if not, he’ll make sure she is.