Chapter 2

Beijing Love Story

 

Minseok woke up with a light feeling on his head, he blinked at his new room and sighed. He took his cell phone and dialed his mother, but her phone was switch off. It was five in the afternoon and he took two hours nap so he decided to unpack his stuff on the boxes and filled the drawer. He unfolded the clothes and straightened them up neatly before hang them on the closet. He took out his books and put it on the drawer according to subject and alphabet. That’s juts how he is, he like his stuff arranged so he could find and use them easily. By the time he finished it was dark outside, he quickly the light and took his bath supplies.

“You’re finish?” Minseok asked in surprise as he opened his door to find his younger brother with a towel hanging on his neck just opened the bathroom door.

Tao nodded quietly and just passed him “Dinner start in ten minutes, you better hurry”

Minseok found himself smiling. He wasn’t sure how he felt about having a younger brother after all this time. Especially when the younger almost half an arm taller than him and having a menacious look on his face.

 

It was thick silence at dinner. Mr. Huang sat on the edge of the table, his wife beside him and Tao beside his mother. Minseok sat nervously beside his father, who he only saw for the first time in 22 years of his life. He enjoyed the hot bath so much that by the time he get to the dining table, everyone already waited for him. His father apologized for not picked him up at the airport due to his sudden meeting, and that a driver was sent already to get him but unfortunately they missed each other. Minseok shrugged it off as his stomach was grumbling from the dishes on the table.

To be honest, he didn’t care too much, this is just something he did for his mother. Before, he used to wander what kind of emotion when he finally met his father. Will there be tears? Hugs? But growing up without him has dulled any emotionally connection between them, he only bowed to the man, and he nodded in approval, smiled contently as he eyed his son. Minseok glanced at his father closely as they ate. His handsome features resembles Minseok so much, the cat eye, his habit to rub his chin occasionally and the warmth on his eyes. Minseok couldn’t believe that this man able to left his wife and new born son with no contact for years. Tao sure got most of his genes from his mother, that explain their height difference e because Mr. Huang was as the same height as Minseok.

When dinner is over, they stayed at the table and Mr. Huang started to talk.

“Your mother and I were very young when we knew she was pregnant”

Minseok nodded at the maid who served them dessert and glanced at Tao who leaned on the back of his chair and stab his cake boredly.

“We decided to get married and not long after you were born, I had an offer to continue my study in America. I couldn’t take both of you because you’re still an infant. And that’s where I met Lena” He rubbed his chin while his wife smiled at his step son awkwardly.

“You have to understand, Minseok. Love had died long time ago between me and your mom. I filed for divorce and she agreed after short argument. Of course I realize it was my entire mistake, that’s why even though I really wanted to see you, I respected her wish to never comeback in your life again”

Minseok just realized that he fist his knuckle so hard that it started to hurt. Images of his mother cried when he was little ran to his mind. How she struggle to support the two of them and how she tried to be the best mother and father at the same time for his sake.

“As you could see, I married Lena, she’s a Chinese so we moved to Beijing and started our own business. Tao born two years later” Mr. Huang waved his hand to the black hair boy that still glaring at his plate. “I hope you two could get along, after all you are brothers”

“Tao, say something to your gege” said Mrs. Huang, tried to lighten his mood.

Tao just shrugged “I have nothing to say right now”

“Don’t you see how handsome your brother is?” she still tried.

“It’s okay, Mrs. Huang” I cut her before her son exploded “I’m sure it’ll take some time for all of us”

“I register your name as Huang Xiu Min, and I had a tutor coming to teach you mandarin every day until you’re ready. I heard you study design?” Mr. Huang asked Minseok.

“Yes, sir. I’m on my third year” Minseok answered.

“I have enrolled you to Beijing University, it’ll start in two months, and you had lots of things to catch up if you wanted to study in Mandarin”

Minseok nodded, it’ll be hard but he knew he needs to finish his study if he wants to have his independence and live on his own.

“Tao just enrolled in business at the same university so you’ll be seeing him a lot” Mrs. Huang joined her hands in excitement.

After a few more minutes Mr. and Mrs. Huang allowed their sons to go to their own room. Tao walked faster with his long legs while Minseok tried to pursue him.

Just when Tao get into his room and closed the door, Minseok hold it with his hand “Tao, wait”

“What do you want?” Tao glared at the older one.

“Look, I know you don’t like this as much as I do, but...” Minseok catched his breath from the long steps he took before “Let’s try to get along as brother, shall we?”

Tao’s cold eyes didn’t seemed to move by Minseok’s soft words “Why should I?” he asked.

“Because we share the same blood?”

Tao turned his head to the side and chuckled in disbelief “Look” he straight his eyes back to the shorter guy. “For me, you’re just my father’s other son. Nothing more”

Minseok frowned as the door slammed in front of him. He went back to his room and checked his phone, still no message from his mother.

 

The next weeks were a struggle for Minseok. As he tried to improve his mandarin, and walked around the neighborhood everything still seemed unreal for him. The streets are different with Seoul, the people, the air, no friendly faces for him since Mr. and Mrs. Huang hardly stayed at home and Tao refused to talk to him.

And it was the first day he had to start his class. Minseok decided to put on a plain white shirt and his old jeans. He swung his bag pack and headed downstairs, as usual he was greeted by the maid, saying that Mr. and Mrs. Huang hasn’t come back since last night and his brother already left, which what he’d been doing a lot this past month.

Minseok finished his breakfast quickly and put on his beanie, checking his dictionary and a map as route to get to the university. His small eyes squinted from the bright of the sun as he blended with people on the street.

He noticed that lots of people turned their heads to glance at him. But he’s already accustomed with it back in Korea. He’s aware of his good looks that he knew he got from his Dad, and fair white skin from his mother. The only lacking he had was height, but he always felt confident because he had this bright personality that attracted people to him.

He checked his schedule and rushed to the stairs when he bumped to a person.

“Sorry...” Minseok said in Mandarin as he back off a little from the sudden impact.

“It’s you again...” the other person said in disbelief.

Minseok lifted his head and saw the stranger he met the first day he arrived. “Lu Han?”

The other boy chuckled “Yah, Minseok-ssi, we had to stop meeting like this, bumped one another”

“It’s Xiu Min now” Minseok smiled shyly as he stared at the brown haired boy with a doll face.

“Well then, Xiu Min, is there any place you’re looking right now?” feeling the de ja vu, both boys laughed again.

“I studied design and just started today”

“No way!” Lu Han’s eyes widened “Me too”

Xiu Min’s mouthed an ‘O’ cutely in surprised. Told him about fate or destiny a month ago, he wouldn’t believe it, but right now he found these too much as just ‘coincidence’.

“Look at this, we had same classes!” Lu Han grabbed a piece of paper from Xiu Min’s hand and checked it.

“Lu Han, this is a miracle!” Xiu Min squealed and hugged the other boy tightly.

Lu Han giggled and patted his back “C’mon, Xiu Min, we’re late already”

-

As you can see, I'm trying to build Xiu Min's background first.

But soon't worry others would make appearance on the next chapter.

And some of you may know, I'm a Lumin bias >...<

But I think a harem story with Minseok as the center more suited, kekekekeke

My favourite part of MAMA dance...

Xiu Min has the nicest bun ever....*drools*