New Hope

The Last Song

That morning in Busan was a very chilly one. A girl, who has been unconscious among the marshes was starting to stir. Soeun's eyes fluttered open. The sky way clear and blue above her. The clouds mixed together creating a dome over the earth, sealing her its white atmosphere. Where was she? Soeun couldn't seem to remember anything. All the remembered was a blinding flash of white light. The little girl looked around. She was alone, and she felt scared. Soeun sat up, brushing dried grass and mud off her clothes.

"Ouch!" Soeun glanced down her badly scratched arms and legs. There was only one pair of shoe on her feet. Her head felt heavy.. Soeun shivered. 
 
"Appa..?" she looked around. "Omma...?" Soeun stood up and stared around her. 
 
"Appa..! Omma..!" she continued. "Omma..." 
  
~~~  
 
Mongjin rubbed his temples. They just returned from Minsook's funeral, and he needed some time to rest. He wasn't as young as he was before, and he was exhausted after literally running around places. Another phone call...
 
"Yes, I am Lee Mongjin." he picked up. "Yes, that's right." 
 
"We are calling regarding the missing girl's report that was filed yesterday."
 
"Any news?"
 
"We discovered a child with similar features on the road crying. One of her shoes seemed to match the one we found earlier."
 
Mongjin almost cried with joy. 
 
"But.. the child is not talking. She's not telling us her name, or her address."
 
"Understood. I will go there myself to confirm,"
 
"Alright. We certainly hope it's the child you are looking for."
 
"Yes, thank you." 
 
Mongjin hung the phone up with high expectations. 
 
"Who was it, chagi?" Yookyung called from behind. 
 
"No one. Just some colleague. I'm meeting them this afternoon."
 
Yookyung nodded. It wasn't typical of her to barge into her husband's business, even after what happened yesterday. 
 
"So... are you really going to send Minyoung to the orphanage?" 
 
"Yes. The orphanage will fare her better after all these misfortunes. After all, I trust those people to take care of her well."
 
"But chagi.. isn't today TOO soon?"
 
"No. I am very much firm with my decision." 
 
"Can't we just take care of her?"
 
Mongjin sighed. Yookyung kept quiet, not wanting to argue any further. 
 
Mianhe, Yookyung-ah. For lying to you for the second time.  
 
~~~
 
 
The police station wasn't very busy that afternoon. Soeun held the pearl in her hand tightly and examined it, sitting lonely on her seat in. Omma.. Appa..
 
Mongjin entered the building, searching for the inspector who called him earlier.
 
"May I help you, sir?" A young clerk asked him.
 
"I heard you found the child so..."
 
"Oh! She's right there!" The clerk pointed. 
 
Mongjin turned around. The girl really did not look like the Soeun he knew. Her hair was in a disheveled mess. Her dress ripped at some parts, such that it looked ratty.  Her rosy cheeks seemed to have lost it's glow. But Mongjin was very precise, that the girl sitting on the bench was Kim Jonghyun's daughter. Soeun slowly turned to look at the haraebeoji standing in front of her. 
 
"Aigoo, Soeun-ah!" Mongjin cried. 
 
"Soeun?! Soeun?! It's harabeoji!" Mongjin kneeled in front of her. He checked her, making sure she was okay.
 
"Are you hurt anywhere?" the old man then saw
the scratches and deep cuts on her arms and legs. Soeun shook her head. Mongjin pulled her into an embrace.
 
"Aigoo, Soeun-ah!" he cried again.
 
He was obviously more than relieved. Soeun could not recognise the harabeoji before her, but his gazed seemed kind and sincere. There was a familiar feel about him that made Soeun hug him back. He's not Appa.. but he feels familiar..
 
"Wah! Looks like she can recognize you! She says she doesn't know when we asked her name! She couldn't answer whatever we asked her, so I was worried!" the young clerk said. 
 
"It's really fortunate that she found her father!"
 
Mongjin let the clerk be. He doesn't know anything, he thought as Soeun hugged him more tightly. He dialled his house straight away. 
 
"Pilsuk? Get Minyoung ready. I'll be sending her off soon. And tell Madam to just stay at home. I'll be in a hurry."
 
"Arasso, Sir." 
 
~~~
 
Kimhae Airport was quiet that afternoon. Mongjin sat beside Minyoung who was hugging Soeun tightly. 
 
"Promise me that you will take care of Soeun, okay?" 
 
Minyoung nodded. She knew the responsibility was hers, now. She was the family Soeun will ever have when they reach San Fransisco. 
 
"Junjin and Sora will treat you like their own daughters, so you needn't worry," Mongjin smiled.
 
Mongjin hugged both the girls tightly. 
 
"Thank you.. ahjusshi." Minyoung gulped in between tears. 
 
"Call me harabeoji," he chuckled bitterly.
 
"Good afternoon passengers, This is the pre-boarding announcement for flight K2501 from Busan to San Francisco. We are now inviting those passengers with small children, and any passengers requiring special assistance, to begin boarding at this time. Please have your boarding pass and identification ready. Regular boarding will begin in approximately ten minutes time. Thank you."
 
A cool female voice echoed from the speakers. Mongjin knew it was already time to send them off.
 
Minyoung looked up at Mongjin.
 
"It's time," he said. "Junjin-ahjusshi will be fetching both of you at the airport." 
 
He led the girls inside the massive Korean Air aircraft. As soon as he got them into their seats, Mongjin kissed each the girls' foreheads.
 
Tears filled his bloodshot eyes again. "I'm sorry I couldn't take care of you. I'll visit you whenever I can." 
 
Minyoung, who was still crying, hugged the elderly man. 
 
"I truly am a sinner.. I'm really sorry. Take care." 
 
And with that, he left the aircraft. May fate fare you well, he whispered as he saw it taking off. May fate fare you both well.. With a heavy heart, Mongjin drove away from Kimhae Airport into the setting sun.