Heart vs. Crime

The Last Song

Junho stepped out of his black Camaro and was immediately embraced by the nighttime atmosphere. He in the sweet, chilly night air, leaning comfortably on his car door, tilting his head up to admire the pitch-black sky. There aren't any stars tonight. His hands wandered through his pockets, searching for his iPhone. He thought of the strange girl he met at the airport and quickly shook it off. Whatever, man. He dialled for Taecyeon. 

"Sup, Jun?" 

"Where you guys at?"

"I'm with Khun and the rest. Are you there already?!" Junho chuckled when he heard the huge commotion in the background. 

"! Who the hell goes to Besotted early?!"

"C'mon, Taec. You know how punctual I am. Ask the guys to hurry. I'm thirsty for entertainment." Junho eyed one of the passing ladies in stilettos and whistled. 

"Yeah, sure. What's the matter with you, anyway.." Taecyeon's words were cut off when Junho hung up, smirking to himself. A faint thump-thumping beat could be heard from outside. More ladies passed by, giving Junho flirty eyes, giggling and whispering to themselves before getting in. Junho nodded coolly. Clubbing really wasn't his cup of tea, but somehow he felt like letting lose tonight. His jetlag was driving him crazy, plus it's been a while since he went out with they boys.

"YAH, LEE JUNHO!" a tall, beastly figure with chiseled features called as he stepped out of his Land Rover with four other well-built men, whom Junho recognized very well. 

"Yo, Ok Taecyeon!" the guys behind him whistled and cheered. Junho high-fived one by one. "My man Khun! Junsu! Wooyoung! Chansung!" 

Six of them made their way into Besotted, flashing their ID's at the bouncer who seemed to stare at them with judging looks. With a strict smart dress code, the bouncers at this club have a reputation for denying entry based on attire.. and money. Known for its sophisticated sound system, the club is not for the skimpy of wallets as drinks tend to be on the pricier side.  

-------

Junho's head naturally bobbed along, following the rhythm the loud music blaring in the nightclub. Besotted is one of Seoul’s top nightclubs, boasting impressive floor area, up-and-coming DJs and a generally pleasant crowd, carefully filtered in by the professional bouncers stationed at the stylish minimalist glass entrance. As pleasant as a crowd like this could possibly get, that is. The people who frequented places like this were rarely the innocent sort. With fat pockets of moolah, of course. The boys stretched their legs in the dingy, dark private room. The female bartender entered. 

"Guys, order anything you like," Taecyeon yelled as the music blared louder. "Our man Junho's treating us today!" 

Chansung patted Junho's back. "Hyung, what's the sudden call, eh? You usually avoided hanging out at these kinda places?" 

"Yeah. I thought you were the minor of our group!" Wooyoung added.  "Even Chansung drinks more than you do." 

Junho cleared his throat. "Well, starting from today gentlemen, ya'll can no longer call me a 'minor'. Chuck that elsewhere!" 

The beastly boys cheered and whistled, but Nichkhun looked wary. "Are you sure, about this? I mean.." he stopped when Junho already requested his order.

"Babe, give me a nice, boring drink. vodka on the rocks, please!" Junho demanded. Nichkhun sighed. 

 "Yah, give it a rest, Thai Prince. I think he knows what he's doing," Junsu assured. "Plus he's with us. What could possibly go wrong?" 

-------

The five boys stared at Junho took shot after shot, not showing any signs of stopping. His face and ears already turned as red a a beetroot. As he proceeded to take another, Taecyeon stopped him. 

"Yah, Lee Junho." he said solemnly. "Did anything happen while you were in San Francisco? Why are you like this all of a sudden?" this coming from the highest alcohol intolerance in the group, for sure it was serious. Junho would usually pass out even after a small glass of maekju.. let alone vodka

"Did some old pub-maniac ghost possess you or something?" Wooyoung joked. The others gave him a look. "Not funny. Sorry." 

"Jin Ju..." Junho slurred. "I.. I liked her you know.." his tears fell down in waterfalls. "Why did she have to leave me, why.. WHY?!" he grabbed Junsu's collar. His breath reeked of alcohol. Junsu shuddered, slowly pushing him. 

"Should we call Sekyung?" he asked. 

"No. Too much trouble. Taec. You drive these boys back home. I'll send this one. I.. I'm kinda worried." Nichkhun suggested. The other guys nodded, understanding. He must've really missed that girl, whoever she was. Childhood friend, he said. Taecyeon and Chansung helped carry their drunken friend by the shoulders.

"Damn he's heavy!" Chansung panted.

 Nichkhun shut the door of Junho's Camaro, sitting in the driver's seat. He sped off towards the Lees' home, half- praying that Junho's parents were asleep, and thinking up an excuse.. no, explanation. He couldn't just lie to them. Nichkhun ignored Junho's drunken slurs. He felt sorry for his friend. 

“Look. Khun, I don’t care – do you hear? – I don’t care about that. Love is precarious. Picture us in Absurdist theatre, where the universe does not care for our constructs, where we can as easily be killed in one moment and fall in love with friends in the next. The universe – along with me – does not care!"

Nichkhun shook his head. "Man, you sure are funny when you get drunk. Atleast you're not like Chansung.. who becomes Channito and speaks gibberish fake Italian. Oh! We're here."

He dialled for Junho's house number. The Lees' usually depended on their maids to pick the landline up, so Nichkhun had nothing to worry. Or so he thought. 

"Khun? Is that you?! Do you have Junho with you?! It's late at night and he still isn't home! Hello?"

Busted. Of course. His number would be easily shown on the caller ID.

"Ah.. about that. Could you please open the gate, Mrs. Lee?" Nichkhun scratched his ears and hung up. He was always the bad liar.. and partner-in-crime. The goody-two-shoes 'Thai Prince' of the group.

"Omo!" Mrs. Lee squealed when she saw her son, whose head unconsciously lolled on Nichkhun's shoulder. "What happened?!"

"He.. he just got drunk, Mrs. Lee. I.. we.. warned him but he kept on insisting so....... um.."

"Aigoo! What will his father say when he sees this?!" 

"See what?" 

Uh-oh. "Ann.. annyeonghaseyo, abeo..nim. Nichkhun greeted, pretending to check his watch. "I.. um.. I must be getting home now, uh I'll ask my driver to send Junho's Camaro next morning before work. Goodbye!" The last person he would want to get in trouble with is Junho's father, Sir Lee Joonyong. He was half-glad that his family's in Thailand. Nichkhun sped off into the night, leaving Junho to his parents. The maids carried a limp Junho, scrunching their noses at the strong odor of smoke and liquor, leaving him on a couch. 

"Yeobo, before you do anything.." Mrs. Lee started. 

"What will become of this boy, huh? We already sent him to San Francisco, to 'pursue music', and he returns to Seoul acting like some mongrel, returning home drunk.. How am I supposed to let this be, huh?!" Joonyong yelled

"Y-yeobo... don't yell. The poor boy will wake up.." 

"Let him, then!"

Junho's eyes snapped open. His vision was blurry, and the sudden headache was killing him. Am I home? All he remembered was.. damn. I got drunk. 

"Who the hell knows what he's done, huh?! He might've hit on someone's daughter without realising it! He might've made someone lose her ity! Are you asking me to calm down now, Lee Sujin?!"

Sujin kept quiet at her husband's words. 

"A.. abeoji. I.. I can explain." Joonyong glared at his youngest. "Explain?! EXPLAIN?!" he shouted. "What is there to explain?!

"I..." the queasiness was really getting to him now. Not being able to hold back, Junho puked on the couch. Spews of leftover food stained the expensive luxe fabric.

"That's it, Lee Junho! We're sending you off to Busan.. to your grandparents. Think about what you have done! I HAVE HAD ENOUGH!"

"Yeobo!" Sujin went after Joonyong, who already stormed his way upstairs. 

. . I should've just lied I got a girl pregnant, if I knew this was coming, he thought sarcastically.