Close Enough

The Last Song

Mongjin's eyes teared a little as he slowly put down the phone he was holding onto the shiny surface of the grand piano in his living room. What he heard just now - could it truly be possible? Salty droplets fell faster as he reminisced of when he was 15 years younger, here in Busan. After that day, Mongjin shuddered a little, life never seemed the same. A soft touch on his shoulder startled him back into his senses. 

"Yeobo?" Yookyung's voice was above a whisper. "What is it that got you so.... into thought?" her kind eyes gazed at him, wondering what might be in her husband's thoughts this time. Mongjin's eyes teared again, arousing her curiosity even more. 

"Jonghyun.." perhaps...

"He's awake, Yookyung." Mongjin uttered, slowly and surely. "The hospital called me. He's finally awake!" his tears turned into ones of joy. Yookyung clutched her chest, too crying, "This is excellent news! It's a miracle!" her expression then darkened. "Should we tell Junho?"

Mongjin shook his head. "As overwhelmed as we are, I think we should keep this to ourselves first." Yookyung sighed in silence. They've been keeping this secret for too long. 15 years...

"How about Jinju?" 

-------

"Would you just stop going through those magazines and look at me for once?" he whined. "I didn't invite you here for nothing!" 

Soeun laughed. "You know what, sometimes I feel like a noona around you with that kind of behaviour. You're so childish it's impossible to believe that one day you'll have to run your family's business!" Junho snorted at her remark. 

"Underestimating my ability, aren't you?" he smirked. Soeun giggled. "What if I am?"

"Well...." Junho started to play with the buttons of Soeun's shirt. Her cheeks flushed it's signature shade. Am I supposed to get used to this? "You'll know what you get as payback." he teased as he nuzzled her neck.

"Whoa there mister!" Soeun backed away. "Is there supposed to be a second time to...." she stumbled for words, "what we did the other day?" 

"What?" 

This guy is unbelievable sometimes. "You were going to undress me, weren't you?" Junho grinned sheepishly at her words. "Well..." Soeun continued, "I'm on my period." she said and winked in victory. Junho groaned. 

"It's not like  you can't deliver amazing sensations...." he protested. "Answer the call of your raging hormones! It'll be fun." 

"You know what. Maybe next time. The thought of it is pretty disgusting for me. For the time being, at least." casually talking about physical intimacy had yet to be fully digested by Soeun. Sure, Junho will be there to guide her but at the rate he's going... she couldn't catch up. Junho smiled as he watched her expression. The innocence in her eyes brought a sense of comfort to him. Soeun closed her eyes as Junho approached her and kissed those full lips tenderly, the sensation was magical - if she would, and she realized that something inside of her had completely changed - never reversed. Screw that feeling, she thought. I'll just enjoy this. Because for now.. to feel his breath come and go with mine.. I'm content with it. Their kiss grew more passionate, but not in a rushing sort of way. Soeun pulled away gently and wrapped her arms around Junho, pushing his hair out of his eyes.

"What's the matter, baby?" he asked.

"It's just.... I suddenly miss my family." Soeun confessed. Junho her cheek. "Coming back to Busan just triggers so many memories and every time, every single time I try to recall this particular one, it ends up fading into an unexplainable blur." she buried her face into his chest. "I came here looking for answers, but all I get is more questions," she gulped, on the verge of tears. "I'm sorry, Junho.." 

"It's okay," he comforted her. Her pain was his. "You'd still have me, right?" he kissed her forehead. "And Soeunnie.." Soeun looked up to meet his eyes.

"I'm positive that you'll find those answers soon." 

Soeun chose to ignore that. How soon is soon? The pearl necklace that has left her puzzled all these years felt cold against her skin. Soeun wriggled her way from Junho's warmth to unclasp the shimmering beauty that hung by a delicate silver chain. She showed it tu Junho. 

"This."  she breathed, "I'll be clueless as long as I don't know the origin - or whatever the meaning is behind this necklace." Junho examined it. Something about it seemed familiar.. 

"Where did you find it?" 

Soeun's eyes widened. "I didn't! Someone gave it to me, apparently. At least that's what my sister told me. And what's left of my childhood memory. Pretty, isn't it?" 

"Yeah." he answered shortly, still thinking. Pearl.. pearl.. "Who was the person who gave it to you?" he finally asked. 

"Well, technically we were kids at the time.. and he found it-" 

"WAIT." Junho interrupted. "So the person who gave you that was a guy?" his eyes fumed with jealousy. "How old were you then?"

Soeun thought for a while. "Six, maybe?" 

"You had a first love at an age THAT young?!" I did too, he added as an afterthought but shook it away. Soeun almost rolled in amusement. 

"What's wrong with that? Are you jealous?" 

Junho twitched his lips. "A little. Considering how long you had it on.. maybe a lot." 

Soeun smiled. "Yah... I'm wearing this not because I still have feelings for him, okay? But the fact that I might bump into him and-"

"And what? Reconcile?" 

"No!!! Just to sort of, y'know.. get some answers.