Pick Up

The Last Song

Soeun's fingers rapped on the surface of her vanity table. The images of what happened four days was clearly tattooed in her mind. Soeun grabbed a book from her shelf and flipped cover to cover. She checked the title. Romance genre? Since when do I own romance genres?! This. Is. So. Not. Helping.

"Eonni!" she called. 

"Oh, Soeunnie!" Minyoung answered from downstairs. "Are you ready yet? I'm kinda worried there'll be a traffic jam towards Busan soon! Hurry, okay!" 

Never mind. Eonni's probably busy. Soeun lied on her bed, rolling around. Maybe he went back to Seoul. Yah.. why am I still thinking about this?! It's been four days.. He'll forget about it, right? It was just... a peck. On the cheek. Yes. Just. A. Peck. People in San Fran used to to that a lot, too. Maybe he was just being friendly. Soeun snapped her fingers. Bingo! 

"Meow." 

"Not now, Koonie." Soeun gently pushed the furry ball of fluff away. "I'm busy." the creature stared with it's glossy eyes, as if to say, I haven't seen you do anything except for rolling around your bed moping. It meowed again. Soeun's cellphone beeped. Soeun ninja-ed herself on her bed, throwing her pillows on the floor. "Where is it?! Ah." 

She checked if any text messages went in and sighed.

I thought I blocked these type of messages! She scratched her non-itchy head. Soeun put her phone down. Who else would I expect to get a text or call from, anyway?! I'm not expecting anyone, right?

Junho slapped his hand on Soeun's table, startling her. Soeun gave him a sharp look, which he ignored. Soeun massaged her chest.

"Give me your phone number." he demanded. 

"Waeyo? Why?" 

"Stop asking too many questions. It's not like I'm going to contact you, anyway." 

"Then??" Junho put his iPhone on her desk. "Save your number." Soeun hesitated before slowly keying in her phone number. "Do I need to take a selca for identification, Mr. Lee?" she asked sarcastically. Junho gave her a look. 

"I'll call you later." 

"What for??" she yelled. Junho had already left.

Soeun shook her head, staring at the blank screen. No notifications.. nothing. Mwoya.. he said he was going to call.. not that I care, anyway. He's probably got some city girl wrapped in his arms right now. Not that I'm jealous. Am I?

"Nonsense!" Soeun said out loud. Koonie hissed. "Mianhe, Koonie." she whispered. 

"Soeunnie, are you alright up there?" 

"Neh, eonni!" 

"Did you accidentally sit on Koonie's tail again?" 

"Aaaa.. yeh. Yes! I meant no! Everything's alright!" she said in a syrupy sweet tone. 

The phone is ringing! Pick up! Pick up! Pick up! Pick up! Pick up! Pick up! If you won't pick up the phone, I wouldn't forgive you! Jjuk jjuk jjuk jukk! Jjuk jjuk jjuk jjuk! Why aren't you answering?~

Soeun's phone buzzed from under her covers. She dived at it again, checking the dialler. Eh? Private number? Soeun answered nervously. 

"He... hello?" 

"Mmhmm." A deep manly voice from the end of the line answered. Soeun accidentally threw her phone in shock. Hands shaking, she picked it up from the floors. 

"Nu... nuguya?! Who are you?" 

"Yah. You're still loud on the phone.. aigoo" 

"Who is it?" she asked cautiously. "Who would you like to speak with?" 

"Isn't this Soeunnie's phone number?"

Soeun muffled the speaker. It's him! She cleared and deepened her voice. "Um, Soeun is not here," she croaked. "This is her... brother." 

"Ah... really? I see." Junho stifled his laughter in. What a pabo. "Could you please send her a message for me?" 

"About that..." 

"It's okay if it's burdening.. hyungnim." 

"No, no. It's perfectly fine." Soeun croaked again. "Just say it." 

"Could you please tell your sister that a Mr. Lee Junho from Seoul is looking forward to see her beautiful face soon." 

"Why you..!" Soeun shrieked in her normal voice. Junho grinned. "Thank you, hyungnim!" he hung up. Soeun hit her pillow hard. Idiot. Idiot idiot idiot! Soeun screamed into the pillow, hitting her head with her knuckle. 

"Kim Soeun.. what has gotten into you?" Minyoung was standing at her front door. Soeun suddenly burst into fits of laughter, hitting her pillow again. 

"Heu heu heu," she giggled. Minyoung put her hand on Soeun's creamy forehead. "Are you sure you're not sick anywhere?" she wrinkled her forehead. 

"Of course, eonni!" she flashed her rows of pearly whites. "Never better!" 

"I'll be in the garden if you need anything." 

"Arasso!" 

Soeun buried her face in her pillow. "Eonni!" 

"Eoh!" 

"Can I not go back today?"