The City by The Bay

The Last Song

"If you’re alive, you can’t be bored in San Francisco.  If you’re not alive, San Francisco will bring you to life."

 - William Saroyan

---------

Junho admired the quoted walls of the famed Café Divine. Not bad, he thought as he settled himself a seat, carrying his 'baby'.  Not bad at all. He actually liked the 'intimate' aura the cafe exuded. From what he heard, Café Divine was an 'artistical sanctuary'. Which was actually the first intention he came, anyway. Not for the beer, or wine, but for their passion in innovative interpretation of jazz classics and originals. In fact, most of the staff is involved in some artistic pursuit, from music and literature to visual arts and dance. He examined the calendar hung up on the wall for today's specials. 

"Wednesdays.. Craig Ventresco and Merideth Axelrod.. ragtime guitars, guaranteed to make you smile.." Great. Just what I needed. Veteran guitar players. 
 
"Do you.. speak English?" A redheaded, boisterous waiter asked him. His appearance seemed like a character from a musical. Or those waiters from old American movies.
 
"Yeah.. yeah I do." 
 
"It seems you have interest in music?"
 
Isn't it obvious? Junho's eyes went back to the calendar again. "Mmhmm."
 
"Are you.. from Chinatown? I mean.. Are you Chinese?" 
 
Junho lowered his Ray-Bans. "Do I look like I'm Chinese to you?" 
 
The waiter stepped back a little, taken aback by Junho's words. "Well.. your eyes are a little on the small side.." he put his hand on his lips. "And you look Asian..ish?"
 
Junho chuckled. He gets it all the time. But hey, the ladies don't complain. "I'm Korean." 
 
"What's a fine Korean lad doing here in San Fran, eh? For the love.. for the passion.. for the.." the waiter droned, his artistic side kicking in, matching that of a poet during the olden days. 
 
Junho left the waiter to himself, and took out his sketchbook. 
 
"Wow.. that's a lot of drawings you have there," the waiter said behind him.
 
"Damn! Try not creeping behind people and get to your job, will you?!" Junho was obviously startled, and a little shy. He wasn't really known for his sketches, but had a talent for it, and kept it to himself. 
 
"One.. one hot chocolate, please. No whipped cream." he ordered.
 
"No alcohol?" 
 
"No. I don't drink."  
 
The waiter raised an eyebrow. 
 
"Because I heard it here." Junho lied. He obviously couldn't say he's a minor, could he? 
 
The waiter scowled. "One no-whipped-cream hot choco coming right up!" 
 
---------
 
"Happy that you're going with me, aren'tcha, Koonie?" Soeun poked her fluffy cat's cheeks. It purred, brushing itself on Seoun's legs. "Tsk. Silly cat. How could I weave you, hmm? How could Soeunnie weave her widdle Koonie?" Soeun cooed, cuddling the cross-breed Persian. Soeun checked her calendar. "Can't believe it's tomorrow!" she whispered excitedly.  Koonie stared at her with it's gleaming eyes.  
 
"O-kay. Gotta run to the city to fetch the flowers for Sora's customers. Bye Koonie!" she kissed the cat again. Soeun walked outside and unlocked the garage, taking out her old bicycle, and cycled her way towards town. It wasn't very far, and she liked a little exercise. I need to get there quick, before the shop closes for lunch break. The young woman cycled faster. 
 
"You're just in time, Soeun! We were just about to close!" Mrs. McGuire said, relieved. 
 
"Sorry Mrs. Mcguire! Are the flowers ready?" 
 
"Of course!" Mrs. McGuire passed bouquets of pink carnations, daffodils and freesias. 
 
"Thank you! Oh and Mrs. McGuire.. I'm going back tomorrow."
 
"Back? Back where?" The middle aged lady took her gardening gloves off.
 
"To Korea. For.. good!" Soeun smiled.
 
"Really, darlin'? That's good for you! Aww now come give yer old Mrs. McGuire a hug.." she said, squeezing the petite Soeun into one. 
 
"I'm gonna miss running errands around here."
 
"I'll miss you too babycakes. Good luck! And go get yourself a 'namja' quick!" Mrs. McGuire winked. She knew a little Korean, and always wanted to see the girl in a steady relationship. 
 
Soeun made a face, and laughed. "Mrs. McGuire..." 
 
After bidding their farewells, Soeun cycled her way past Cafe Divine, which was just next door. Soeun glanced at the insides. I have always wanted to try the hot cocoa hereOh well, she sighed as her eyes passed a young gentleman in shades. Must be a tourist, she assumed. 
 
  
---------  
 
"Aunt Sora!" Soeun called from outside, ringing the doorbell. "I got the flowers!" 
 
"Bless you, child. You startled me!" Sora put her hands into her hips. "Don't wave them like that!" 
 
Soeun put them carefully on the dinner table. "I can't believe I'm leaving first thing the morning tomorrow," she said slowly. "I'm gonna miss you, Aunt Sora. Junjin-ahjussi, too." 
 
Sora smiled bitterly. Only God knows how she felt. Soeun and Minyoung were the daughters she never had, and she did not expect that Soeun too, would return to their homeland too soon after Minyoung did. Well, it's been 3 years, but she remembered how she sent Minyoung off as if it were yesterday. The two literally grew up before her eyes. 
 
"Aunt Sora.. please don't cry.." Soeun ran towards her godmother, patting her back. "You're making me having second thoughts about going back," she joked.
 
 
Sora wiped her tears with her hand and laughed. "Maybe I was being too emotional.. have you finished packing?"
 
"Neh! Of course!" 
 
Soeun's cellphone rang. She swiped the touch screen with her fingers. Unknown number..? "Excuse me," she whispered to Sora, and ran up to her room.
 
"여보세요..?" (Hello?) she answered. 
 
"Eoh, Soeun-ah. It's me." A male voice answered.
 
Soeun was puzzled. The voice sounded too young to be Junjin's.. and it didn't sound like Sunbae's, either.
 
"Who is this?" she asked.
 
"Aigoo.. it's only been a few days and you already forgot?!" the person from the other side shook his head.
 
"SUNBAE!!!!!!!!!!!!" Soeun rolled on her bed. "You scared me right there!" 
 
"Who d'you think it is, then? Your secret admirer?" 
 
"Mwoya.. why are you like this.."
 
"You free?"
 
"Hmm?"
 
"Kim Soeun, are you free this evening?" he repeated.
 
Soeun thought for a while. "I think so, yes. Nothing else to do. Packed my stuff.. Ran errands.. so yeah. Free." Soeun played with her fingers. "Why?"
 
"I was thinking of taking you out to dinner tonight. You know, since I can't catch you at the airport tomorrow morning. Early meeting tomorrow.. please? Since it's your last?" 
 
"Um..."
 
"I'll take that as a yes." Beom hung up, not leaving room for Soeun to answer. Soeun shook her head, grinning to herself. Sunbae... 
 
----------
 
Beom put down the phone, smiling to himself. Yes! Another 'date' with Soeun. He arranged the displaced folders in his office and checked his watch. Still early. Beom checked himself out in the mirror. Hm.. Should I change or not? Would Soeun feel awkward seeing me in my office attire? Beom then sighed. Of course she would. 
 
"Lizzy!" He called for his assistant. The woman immediately turned up. "I have a little something tonight, and won't be back at the office until tomorrow morning. I'll see you at the meeting later, then?" Lizzy nodded. Her boss always had 'something' up these days. 
 
"Yes, Mr. Kim." 
 
Beom walked out of the office, already changing into more casual, comfortable clothes. Lizzy understood. He was probably meeting Soeun, his junior from college. He spoke a great deal of good things about her, but she never saw the girl. Beom unlocked his car and sped off to pick Soeun up. As soon as he reached her house, he saw Soeun coming out of the white picket fence. He waved at the confused-looking girl. 
 
"S-s-unbae!" she called, teeth chattering. It was a pretty chilly evening compared to earlier. "Is that you?" 
 
"Hop in!" he beckoned her. 
 
Soeun sat on the soft leather seat. "Wow.. I didn't know you had a car.." 
 
Beom smiled, helping her with the seatbelt.
 
"Ani.. it's okay, sunbae. I can do this on my own!" she blushed. Awkward.. 
 
"All set now?" 
 
Soeun nodded. "Where exactly are we going, sunbae?" 
 
"You'll see." 
 
"Ey..." Soeun glanced out the window and gasped. "Sunbae! Are you taking me to the Golden Gate Park?" 
 
Beom winked. "Smart girl.." he ruffled her hair.
 
"Yah! When will you stop doing that?!" 
 
Beom laughed. After parking his car on one side, he opened the door for Soeun, holding out his hand. Soeun raised an eyebrow.
 
"What? Aish sunbae... I can do this myself," she went out. "Are we going through the park all evening?" she asked, as dusk was approaching. Fireflies filled the air with their brightly lit abdomens. 
 
"Wah. Daebak." she breathed. A small rumble echoed. Soeun grinned shyly. "Eheh. Mianhe. I haven't had anything since afternoon.." 
Beom shot a finger pistol at her. 
 
"Be back in a jiffy!" 
 
Soeun stretched her legs. Aaah, so nice. She reminisced the thoughts of spending her middle school days here with Eonni. Before she could think any longer, Beom appeared with a picnic basket and a mat. He laid it out and arranged two candles.
 
"Wah! Sunbae! Are we really having dinner here?" Soeun pointed at the grass, indicating where Beom laid the mat out. After setting everything up, Beom lit the candles up.
 
"Bon apetit, me lady." 
 
"Tsk. Sunbae.. wae geurae.. you're making me feel uncomfortable." she said, as she started on the food laid out. "Yum! Did you buy all this?" 
 
"I made those myself, you know!" He grinned.
 
"Aish.. you're too kind!" 
 
"Aniyo. Just wanting to treat my dongsaeng a little farewell party." He winked.
 
Soeun rolled her eyes and laughed. Her vibrating phone interrupted them for a while. "Oh? Who could it be?" she rummaged her purse. "Aunt Sora!" 
 
"Hello.. Eoh! Aunt Sora! I'm at Golden Gate Park. Yes.. No, not alone.. Arasso!" 
 
Beom stared, looking for an explanation. 
 
"Aunt Sora. She was worried about my whereabouts.." 
 
Beom nodded slowly. 
 
"Mianhe, sunbae. But I gotta go. I'll take a cab from here.." Soeun got up. She felt sorry for Beom who seemed to have prepared a lot for her little party. 
 
"It's okay. And don't take the cab. I'll send you home." 
 
Soeun helped Beom fold the mat and pack the leftover food into the picnic basket. She could not help but feel guilty. 
 
"Ja, we're here," Beom pulled the handbrake. "Soeun-ah.."
 
"Ne.. eh?"
 
"Remember your promise."
 
"What? I didn't promise anything!" 
 
"About not forgetting me."
 
"Of course I won't! How can I forget my favorite sunbae!" 
 
"Take care."
 
"I will!" 
 
Beom helped her open the door. "Thank you, Sunbae. And.. Sorry." Soeun apologized. Beom smiled bitterly and waved as she entered the gates of her house. 
 
"That's all? Not even a goodbye hug?!" He yelled. Soeun stuck her tongue out and winked as she entered her house. There Sora was, sitting on the dinner table, sipping on a glass of orange juice.
 
"Kim Soeun! Where have you been?" she asked calmly. She wasn't mad, just worried.
 
"Mianhe, Aunt Sora.." 
 
"It's okay. Just get changed. There's something I want to talk to you about.. In your bedroom." 
 
Sora stared at her, puzzled. "Ooo.. kay." Running up the stairs, Soeun entered her room, discovering a sleeping Koonie on her bed. 
 
"Awww.." she gushed, gently its head. "Sleep well, baby. It's going to be a loooooooooong day for us tomorrow." she whispered as she put on her nightdress. 
 
"Soeun-ah? Are you done?" 
 
"Yup!" Soeun let her hair loose and sat on her bed after putting Koonie in its kitty basket.
 
Sora entered and sat on the edge of her bed. "Aigoo.. you look so pretty with your hair loose like that, my dear." 
 
"Hehehe! Aunt Sora.. what was it that you wanted to talk to me about?" 
 
"It's not really something I want to talk to you about, but rather give to you." Sora put a little box in front of Soeun. 
 
"Go on, open it." 
 
Soeun opened the velvet box slowly, revealing a necklace. She gasped. "Aunt Sora! You shouldn't have!" she hugged the woman. "It's my pearl! You turned it into a necklace! There's a chain!" the silver chain really complimented the pinkish sheen of the pearl well.
 
"It's so pretty! Thank you!" 
 
Sora smiled as Soeun tried it on. "I've been keeping it for a while, wondering when to give it to you.. and this seemed like the right occasion," 
 
"Thank you again, Aunt Sora!" 
 
"Your welcome. You really should be getting to sleep now." 
 
"Arasso, goodnight!" 
 
"Goodnight, Soeun-ah." Sora went out. 
 
Under the dim light, Soeun admired the little gift. She had kept it as itself, without a chain for so long, and was thankful that Aunt Sora presented her prized possesion in form of that necklace. It was simple, but she loved it. May you bring me happiness.. And maybe true love, she prayed. Soeun kissed it for luck, then dozed into a deep slumber before her journey to a whole new life began. 
 
"Leaving San Francisco is like saying goodbye to an old sweetheart.  You want to linger as long as possible."  
Walter Kronkite