"Soeunnie!"

The Last Song

Three weeks after the 'incident' passed by quickly. Soeun scrolled through the playlist on her iPhone. It was lunch time, the only time resort workers could stretch their legs. Regular workers, that is. Soeun.. of course is a special case. Her whole week was packed with "Hey personal maid, get me my coffee!" "Yah, this isn't the way you do it!" and so much more from Mr. Lee. It would be nicer if he at least called her 'Ms. Kim', but Soeun didn't bother to say anything. He doesn't know her name, anyway. Nevertheless, she eventually got used to him and his behaviour. 

Nothing better, nothing better than you... 

If only I actually have someone to dedicate me a song, she sighed. The song made her think of Sunbae. Is he doing well? she thought. He hasn't been in contact with her for quite a while, and.. she sort of missed him. 

-------

"Yo, Junho! What's up, dude? When are you going back to Seoul?" Chansung's voice echoed through the loudspeaker. Junho smiled.

"Yah.. it's only been less than a month and ya'll miss me already?!" 

"Of course! How's Busan? Any new hot spots? Ladies?" 

"Nah. Same old, same old." 

"Really? Cause you wouldn't usually stand even half a day there. Thought you were going to get stuck into some.. cliched romance or something. Y'know.. Non-city girl. Decent. Falls in love with rich city guy, aka you. That kinda thing." 

"Chansung-ah.. have you been watching dramas while I was gone? Did Wooyoung talk you into  it??" Junho laughed. 

"So you're still unattached, huh." Chansung said, ignoring him. "Yah.. go get yourself someone. A steady relationship, maybe?" 

"Whoa! This coming from our Chansungie? You're starting to sound like Khun!" 

"I dunno.. I'm.. We're actually worried about you." Chansung's voice became serious. "Just forget her, Junho. She's long gone. You're.. 'Jin Ju' or whoever isn't around anymore. Face it. I'm sorry but.." 

"Yeah, I get you." Junho breathed. "Hey! What about you, huh?" he tried lifting the mood a little. Typical of Junho. 

"Me? Whatever, man. All I care for now is that my stomach is happy." he joked. "So. Take care my man. I know you're not the type of person who gets in trouble for some ty matter. Speak soon!"

"Mmhmm. Tell the dudes I said hi."

"Will do. Wait. Sekyung..." 

"What about her?" Junho's face darkened. 

"Nah. The usual stuff." 

"Don't tell her I'm here." 

"Won't. Talk to you later." Chansung hung up. Junho lied on his bed, closing his eyes. He reached again for his cellphone and dialled.

"Hello, hotel concierge? Yes. Mr. Lee speaking. Could you please call for my personal maid?"

-------

Soeun was full of thought when she put the phone down. So Mr. Lee wanted to go down to the beach. With her. In casual clothes. The idea didn't seem bad to her, but it was slightly awkward. What's a 'personal maid' to do? Fan him? Wipe his sweat? Fetch him ice cream? Maybe that was it. Soeun shook off ideas of a nice stroll. If I were to have a nice stroll, together with a man, I'd do it with someone who's not him. After getting dressed, Soeun walked towards the beach to find Junho too, in casual clothes. It was her first time seeing him in something comfortable like that. His usual attire consisted of some designer shirt, or even a suit.

"Mr. Lee?" she called, fixing her hat that was almost blown away. Junho turned around, his eyes fixed on her. 

"Wow, you sure dressed up." he sneered. 

"Eyy..." Soeun started. 

"It looks nice," he smiled. Soeun felt her heart flutter. Just a little bit. Compliments are sort of her weakness, since she's rarely given even one.

"You.. Um.. Mr. Lee looks nice, too. You look different. Like someone.. normal?" 

"Yah.. am I not normal to you?" he sulked. Soeun laughed.

"Aniya.. it's just.." okay awkward.. "What makes you want to come here at this time, anyway?" she quickly asked. "Anything you want me to get you, Mr. Lee?" 

"Let's go out and play." he wiggled his eyebrows. 

"Neh?" Before she could say more, Junho grabbed a small pail and scooped a bucketful of salty sea water, splashing it on Soeun.

"Eeeeeeeeeeeee!" Soeun shrieked. "Mwoya!" she scooped up sand with her hand and threw it towards Junho, laughing. 

"Choding!" 

Junho stuck his tongue out. "Pabo-ya! Come and get me!" 

They ran around, spending the evening like children on the beach. Shades of dusk were starting to appear, and both were starting to get exhausted. Soeun passed an ice cream she got from a nearby stall to Junho. For a moment, she forgot that she was his 'personal maid'. It almost felt like she was with Sunbae. They sat on the clean white sand.

"Y'know what?" Junho started, peeling the wrapper of his ice cream.

"Yep?"

"This really reminds me of my childhood." he said. "I used to spend a lot of time here when I was younger." he smiled. 

"You lived here?" Soeun asked, puzzled. Remnants of her past memories here in Busan were still vivid in her thoughts. 

"Nope. Stayed with my grandparents." 

"Aaaah.. I see." Soeun nodded. "I used to come here, too." she said quietly. 

"Really? How come we've never met?" 

Soeun laughed. "Yah.. I was so little at the time, how could I even remember? Anyways.. I.. left here at a young age, too." 

Junho nodded, finishing his ice cream. "Where?" 

"Overseas." 

"Oooooooooooh. Who'd ever thought. Why did you come here to work? 

"Are you underestimating me? Isn't this too much information to give?" she joked. 

"What's wrong with that?"

"Never mind. So how was your childhood days here in Busan, Mr. Lee?" she asked, curious. Junho turned to face her. His kneecaps brushed hers. Something about it made Soeun's heart pound. 

"Doesn't it seem like we got so much closer now?" Junho said. "Y'know.. as friends." Soeun studied his expression. It didn't seem like when she first met him. He seemed like someone different. Somehow softened. How could someone have a change of behaviour in such a short period of time? People say one changes after he falls in love. But she didn't see him with any girl. 

"Friends? Me.. you?" Soeun pointed to herself, then to Junho. "Chingu?" 

Junho stretched out his palm of her to shake. "Let's start with greetings. Hi, I'm Lee Junho. Handsome youngest son of the Lee family, owns a large fortune.. what else?" he pretended to think. Soeun laughed. "Yah!" 

"What about you?" 

"But you haven't finished yet!" Lee Junho.. Lee Junho?

"Ah.. so you really do want to know about me, huh?" he smiled a crooked smile, showing off his dimple. 

"Tch." Soeun rolled her eyes. 

"Your turn." he said. "Palli!" Soeun stretched out her hand. "Kim Soeun. Nice to meet you." she shook his hand. Junho froze, his eyes wide, not letting go of the handshake.

"Soeun??" he said. "You said your name is Kim Soeun?

"Yes, why?" Soeun asked, her eyes round. 

"What does that even mean?" Junho asked. "It sounds.. weird." he said, laughing. 

"Yah! Well what does Junho sound like, then?!?" 

"Emperor-like." he said proudly. "My name was given by my grandfather.. he's the one who owns this resort."

"Aaaah... Jun... ho." She said slowly, then added excitedly. "So! Do I still have to call you Mr. Lee? Well.. it sounds gross, y'know. Calling someone your age by Mister. You are my age, right? I mean like..." Soeun stopped when she caught Junho staring at her without blinking. She swallowed. 

"You sure talk a lot, don't you?" he said. 

"Yeah.. it well.. runs in the family. Or maybe not. My sister doesn't talk a lot, but when she does she.." Soeun babbled again. Junho put his finger on her lips. 

"Sssssssh." he whispered. 

"Who gave you permission to do that??" Soeun spat. "Stop it.. we're friends aren't we?" 

"So?" Junho raised his eyebrow.

"Isn't this type of skinship.. well..."

"What?" he asked, waiting for her to answer when he actually knew what she was going to say.

"Well... cou.. ples?" 

"Oh, are you indirectly asking me out, now?" he joked, ruffling her hair. 

"Yah! Geumanhae! Stop it!" Soeun brushed his hand off. "You're always getting the wrong idea.. won't your girlfriend get jealous?" 

"Which one?" he teased. "I have plenty." Soeun eyes went saucers huge. "Girl.. friends?

"You jealous?" 

"No! it's just that.. I wouldn't want to get mistaken by them for.. y'know.." 

"As my girlfriend?" he chuckled. 

"Who gave you that idea! You're such a jerk.." she giggled, her dimple running in and out. 

"Being a jerk is part of an heir's life." 

"Heir, huh? No wonder.. you must live the life. Fame, cars, parties.. ladies.." Soeun trailed off in thought.

"Which brings you back to the jealous thing. Merong!" 

"So not!" she pouted. "Never!"

"Cute." he pinched her cheeks. Soeun blushed. No one.. no guy has actually called her 'that', before. Not even Sunbae. Noticing her dark shade of crimson, Junho pinched her nose. 

"Mwoya.." Soeun pouted again before bursting into laughter after Junho imitated her. 

"You're actually more laid-back than I thought." she said. "Maybe it's your clothing." she teased. Soeun checked her watch, and gasped.

"How'd it get so late?!" 

"Well, they say time flies when you're having fun.."

"I didn't." 

"Bad liar. I know you did." Junho stood up, taking Soeun's hand. Soeun wanted to let go, but the warmth of his fingers felt comfortable. 

"I'll send you back to your room." 

"Yah.. you don't need to!" Soeun said, standing up. "I'm fine."

"Okay then." 

"I had fun." Junho said quietly. "The most fun conversation I've had with a girl in my entire life." 

"Eyy..." before Soeun could finish, Junho's lips gave her a soft kiss on the cheek. Soeun froze, her eyes widening. Junho waved, leaving a gaping Soeun.

"Aren't you going?" he asked softly. "See you tomorrow.. Soeunnie! Goodnight!

Soeun was still rooted to her spot, rubbing her cheek that Junho just made contact with his lips. Did he just...? And.. Soeunnie?! She stood there, confused for a second. Why is my heart like this? She clutched her chest. There's a tomorrow?! she couldn't think.