The Nicest Word There Is

The Last Song

"Thank you for flying Korean Air. We hope you enjoyed giving us the business as much as we enjoyed taking you for a ride."

 
"We're here, Koonie! We're home!" Soeun whispered excitedly to Koonie through its pink carrier tote. Koonie meowed sleepily and returned back into a deep slumber.
 
---------
 
Junho picked up his vibrating iPhone. "Yes, Abeoji. I just touched down."
 
"I already called Driver Park to pick you up,"  
 
"Mhm. Arasso." he pressed the end button and walked out of the arrival hall. Back to so-called reality. 
 
---------
 
Soeun looked around as she pushed her cartful of luggage for any signs of Minyoung. "Aigoo.. why did I have to bring so many stuff!" she sighed as she pushed the heavy load, putting Koonie's pet carrier on top. She checked her watch. Where is Eonni? Soeun stood on her toes, scanning through the sea of people. Her cellphone vibrated furiously. Soeun heaved a sigh of relief when she saw the dialer. 
 
"Eonni! It's already been half an hour! Where are you?" Soeun said into the speaker, one hand pushing the trolley.
 
"What do you mean? Where were you? I've been here longer than that. I texted you multiple times, already! Did you not check?"
 
"Oh." Soeun paused. "Aaaa okay. Where do I look for you?" 
 
"I'm at Paris Croissant Kitchen in the public area. I think you can find a directory not far from the arrival hall." 
 
"Um..." Soeun walked, looking aroud. Why am I not using contacts at times like these?! She thought angrily to herself. "Okay.. I-- OMO!!!" Soeun couldn't help but scream as her cellphone literally went flying away from her hand onto the cold, hard floors of the airport. She stared in horror as she picked up her cellphone from the tiled floors, checking if there were severe damages. "Aish!" 
 
"E-e-excuse me," Soeun stuttered, standing up. "I'm sorry," she did a 90-degree bow. The guy in shades who was standing in front of her was fuming.. and wet.
 
"Are you blind, or just careless?!" he yelled angrily as his torso dripped wet from the now-empty cup he was holding. Junho took his jacket off, not looking at Soeun.
 
"I'm sorry.. er.. Mister.. Dark Sunglasses-shi." Can't he just take those glasses off like he did with his jacket? Soeun took a second to appreciate his body and gulped.
 
"What did you just call--?" Junho paused, finally staring at the figure in front of him. She wasn't tall, about 5'5, and her brown eyes sparkled in the broad daylight. She wore a blue dress, which complimented her pale skin and a pair of kitten heels to match. A navy cap covered her naturally curled dark hair. Her pinkish lips, pursed into a slight pout. Junho went speechless, forgetting his intention of yelling at her. 
 
"What did you just call me?" he repeated, still not taking his eyes off her. Somehow she looks.. familiar? Has he seen her somewhere before?
 
Is this person bipolar or something? Soeun thought as his expression softened, somewhat dazed. "Mister.. Dark Sunglasses.. well, you DO have them on. Indoors." she answered curtly. Her cellphone vibrated furiously.
 
"Well, if you have something to say, then just say it now. I must get going. Sorry again, for the little accident!" with that, Soeun left. 
 
Junho swallowed. Somehow his throat felt dry as his gaze followed her. She was already making her way towards the board which indicated the public area. Wait. Wasn't I supposed to make her pay for what she did? What the hell just happened?! He shrugged. Junho scowled as he wiped the sticky residue off his jacket. She just got lucky.
 
---------
 
Geez. That guy sure was weird. Soeun strided happily towards the direction of Paris Croissant Kitchen, eyeing for any signs of her sister.
 
"Yah.. why didn't you bring the whole of San Fran with you, eh Soeunnie?" Minyoung asked, looking up from her iPad. "Come and give your sister a big hug!" Minyoung smiled, getting up to hug Soeun.
 
"EONNI!" Soeun squealed in delight, squeezing her sister tight. She suddenly felt teary. "I missed you so, so much!"
 
"I missed you too sweetie," Minyoung smiled. "Look at how grown up you've become! Aigoo.. it's only been a few years and I feel like I don't know my own sister! In a good way, of course."
 
Soeun hugged Minyoung again. "Eonni..." 
 
"I know, you miss me." 
 
"It's not that..." 
 
"Then, what?" 
 
"I'm... hungry! I haven't had like, anything except for bread! In the airplane! Imagine that!
 
Minyoung laughed. "Go on. Order what you like," she pointed at the scrumptious array of pastries at the glass counter display. "Pastry? Anything?" 
 
"I kind of had something in mind when I was onboard.."
 
"What, Soeunnie?"
 
"Sam..."
 
"Gyetang? You want samgyetang?" Minyoung asked, grinning. Of course her sister craved Korean food. The first thing she ate when she herself went back too, was samgyetang. And she knows just the place for the best one in Seoul. 
 
"But Soeunnie.."
 
"Neh, eonni?" 
 
"I'm not carrying all that," she glanced at the her sister's luggageload. Soeun pouted, sticking her tongue out. 
 
"Kim Soeun! You just don't change, do you?" 
 
Soeun winked mischievously. "At least I'm not 27 and still haven't found a decent man to settle in with!" 
 
"Yah! That touched a nerve!" Both laughed. "Do you have someone, eh Soeun? Aigoo.." Minyoung shook her head jokingly. 
 
"Of course!" 
 
Minyoung's eyes widened. "Seriously? For real?" She never thought her sister was the dating type, to be honest.
 
"I have Koonie! Me~rong!" 
 
"So you brought that little munchkin of yours, huh?" 
 
"Course I did! How could I leave her... and she's not little, for goodness sake!" 
 
"Sure, sure. Soeunnie.. I really can't wait to take you around Seoul!" Minyoung exclaimed.
 
"Me too! I've been dying too see the arboretum you told me about! The plants must be blooming well.. Since it's spring.." Soeun thought of the little time spent with her sister last time she went here. 
 
"Yah. Let's get going, shall we? The samgyetang shop closes early on weekends," 
 
"Help me with my luggage!" Soeun gave Minyoung a pleading look. "Please.."
 
"Arasso. I was kidding, anyway. How can I weave by baby sister carrying these own her own, hmm?" 
 
"Assa!" Soeun clapped her hands in joy, "Lessgo!" 
 
Home... is the nicest word there is.”   Laura Ingalls Wilder