Brewing Storms

The Last Song

Jonghyun sipped the bitter remnants of his Brazillian coffee. Aaaaah. If it weren't for the Lees' small gift, he wouldn't have tasted such a masterpiece of a brew. Even with his stable job, all that kept him going was the instant kind from Maxim.

"Yeobo?" Minsook called, sitting next to him. The girls were at school, and this was the only alone time they had for themselves. 
 
"Yes?" He answered gently.
 
"I've been thinking..." Minsook paused.
 
"Mmhmm?" 
 
"What if... What if I don't get to see the girls' grow up?"
 
Jonghyun stared at his wife. Intensely. "What are you talking about? You're not talking about a divorce, are you?" 
 
"What if.. I leave you before I should.  I am not growing younger day by day. We are not growing younger day by day." 
 
Jonghyun silenced. He didn't know what she was thinking.. but it made him uneasy. Sure, everything that lives... leaves. 
 
"I want you to take care of the girls.. especially my Soeun.. okay?"
 
He put his hands on her shoulders. "Yeobo.. We'll bring the girls up together. See them grow. Watch them get married.. Everything. Together. Obstacles, advantages, happiness. Sadness. Together. Promise me that." he forced a smile. 
 
~~~
 
The atmosphere at the seaside villa was pleasant. Guests made their way to servings of delicious most exquisite, the finest food ever to be served at a housewarming. Everyone was having a good time, and it had only been less than an hour. 
 
"Young master.. Madam Lee calls for you," 
 
"Um? Yeah I'll be right down..." 
 
Junho felt miserable. He wasn't in the mood to play, eat or anything. Guests were already crowding the luxurious four-storey villa. Faint intrumental music echoed through the walls. 
 
"Young master," the middle-aged maid repeated. Junho still ignored. 
 
"Lee Junho, I think you have someone who wants to see you!" this time, it was his grandmother.
 
Who was it? His grandparents told him that other that his parents and hyung, his friends were to visit him. Hearing that, he brightened a little and rushed downstairs with light steps. Nichkhun? Taecyeon? Wooyoung? Junsu? Chansung? 
 
"Junnie!!!!!!!" 
 
Junho's face darkened when he saw. 
 
The girl came running towards him.
 
"Hi, Sekyung." he said flatly. "Hi, Mrs. Shin!" 
 
"Junnie! Did you know how much she says she missed you during your stays in Busan?" Mrs. Shin squealed delightedly. "Look how more handsome and tanned you've become! Aigoo!"
 
Sekyung batted her eyelashes at him. Junho looked at his grandmother with a pleading look on his face. Practically everyone knows how much he disliked Sekyung. To him, she was nothing but a spoilt little brat. He needed an escape. 
 
"Halmeoni.. where's hyung?"
 
"With Harabeoji and Appa. Why?" 
 
"Oh? Great! I have something to ask Appa. I mean hyung.I mean, I'll be right back!" he dashed. "Oh, and excuse me, Mrs. Shin" he added politely. Yookyung shook her head at her grandson. Junho winked mischievously.
 
His eyes scanned everywhere for Mongjin and any signs of his father. It wasn't really his initial plan but oh well, he thought. At least Sekyung won't beg to play with me. 
 
"Miss Pilsuk?" he called a passing maid.
 
"Yes, young master?" 
 
"Where is Ap--"
 
"Oh! There you are, Junho!" Jihoon, his hyung of eight years difference, called.
 
"Hyung!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been looking everywhere for you! Where's Appa?"
 
"Abeoji? Um.. I thought I saw him outside. Talking to Mr. Kim. Harabeoji, too."
 
"Ah? Ah.. Okay. Thanks hyung!!"
 
He darted outside. There his father was, with Mongjin and.. Jin Ju's Appa! If Jin Ju's Appa is here.. Then is Jin Ju? ... He was too excited to think and straight away went towards the three men. 
 
"Hello Mr. Kim!! Appa! Harabeoji!!!" He greeted a little too loudly. 
 
"Yah! You little... Who taught you to interrupt elder people's conversations like that? Hmph! Look Joonyong! Look at how 'well-behaved' this little mongrel is?!" Mongjin complained.
 
Joonyong and Jonghyun laughed. "Well, look at how his father was during his age," he joked. "You're too harsh on him, Abeoji."
 
Junho tugged at his father's leg. Joonyong put his arm around his son. Mongjin glared. 
 
"Oh! I thought your daughter is friends with our Junnie, too? We heard a lot about her when he returned to Seoul," Joonyong asked, questioning Soeun's absence. 
 
"Ah, yes, yes. Pearlie-ah! Pearl!" 
 
Soeun, who was sitting alone under one of the already-set-up tables skipped towards Jonghyun. "Yes, Appa?" 
 
"I thought you were alone? Wouldn't you the one who insisted on wanting to play with 'Nuneo', hmm?" 
 
"Well.." She stared shyly at the three towering men above her.
 
"But.. he's not--"
 
"Really?" Junho, who was hiding behind Joonyong, interrupted. "You said that? Jinjja?!" he beamed ear to ear.
 
"Um..."
 
"Then come on! Come with me inside! I've been wanting to show you something soooooooooooooo bad! Hurry!!" 
 
Soeun, as usual looked at her father. Jonghyun winked. "Have fun, Pearlie-yah!"
 
Junho held Soeun's small hand in his. "Come!" he ran, still hand in hand with her. Soeun had no choice but to follow him. As soon as they're out of sight, Junho stopped at the poolside area. Soeun panted for breath.
 
"We're here!" 
 
"But.. Nuneo! I thought you wanted to play inside! There isn't anything here.. Are we swimming?! But I can't swim!" Soeun asked, puzzled.
 
"Nah. Just wanted to show you something. Remember the treasure I told you about?"
 
Soeun scratched her non-itchy scalp. "Uh.." she racked her brain. Treasure...
 
"Right! Treasure! At the beach!!!" 
 
"Yeah!"
 
"But that was SO long." she pouted. "You promised to show me when we came to the beach again. This isn't the beach!"
 
"It's not... " he thought for a while. "But.." he glanced at the beach that was clearly seen from where there were standing.
 
"So I have to wait longer?" Soeun added, not noticing Junho. She was starting to get impatient, like on the day she fought over the 'treasure'.
 
"No!" 
 
"Then?"
 
Junho stuck his tongue out. He HAD to a little longer. "I'll show you later!"
 
"JUNNIEEEE! JUNNIE-YAH!" a girly voice called.
 
"Not again..." Junho turned around to find Sekyung, who trotted in her junior heels towards Junho and Soeun. 
 
"Junnie! I've been looking everywhere for you! Like Mama said earlier, I really missed you! I thought we're supposed to play together, hmm?" She tugged his arm. Soeun stared with one eyebrow raised.
 
Sekyung, finally noticing Soeun, gave her a dissapproving look.
 
"Who are YOU?" 
 
"H-h-hi! My name is.." before Soeun could finish her sentence, Sekyung snapped, "I don't need introductions from poor people like you!", snorting at Soeun's dress. It wasn't at all ratty, or poor-looking. But to Sekyung, anything non-sparkly or plain is for people who can't afford.
 
"Those shoes, and that hairpin! It looks cheap! Look at mine!" She pointed at her diamond studded hairpin. "My Daddy bought it from me, in Rome! He said it was SPECIALLY made for me, Shin Sekyung by an Italian jeweler!" she added haughtily. "Yours were probably bought for 3000 won at some.. street market!" she scoffed.
 
"Junnie. What are you doing with this little.. brat?"
 
Soeun tried her best not to cry. It wasn't her house, and.. maybe what Sekyung said was right. Maybe she could'nt be friends with people who had pretty accessories, shoes, bags and dresses like Sekyung. Or many toys like Nuneo. She swallowed hard. Maybe I don't belong..
 
Junho gritted his teeth. 
 
"Yah! Why don't you go play anywhere else, eh Sekyung?" 
 
"No! I wanna stay here with you!" her glossed tiny lips pursed. 
 
Junho felt grossed out. He tugged his arm from hers and held Soeun's. "Let's go inside." he whispered. Sekyung was too much of a nuisance. Soeun gulped.
 
"I-I-I think you should play with her..." she replied quietly.
 
"I don't want to. She's annoying," Junho whispered back. "Come!"
 
Sekyung glared at the whispering two. Why is Junho contaminating himself with the girl?! Why not me? She stomped hard. "YAH! I'm telling Mama and Daddy!!" she shrieked.
 
Junho held Soeun's hand again, ready to go. Soeun hesitated but followed. She needed to get away from this Sekyung, anyway.
 
Sekyung grinned slyly to herself and stuck her high-heeled foot when Soeun walked pass her, causing the innocent girl to trip.
 
"Ouch!!!" Soeun cried. She bit her lip, holding herself from getting angry. Omma always told me that patience is rewarded, she thought as she brushed dirt of her previously clean dress. Her neatly brushed hair was already dishevelled. 
 
"OI, SEKYUNG!" Junho yelled. "I'm telling Mr. Shin!" 
 
Sekyung rolled her eyes and still stood there.
 
"Aaaah!" Soeun cried again as a sharp pain poked her knee. She tugged a bit of her dress. Blood! She stared in fear at the scratch on her knee. 
 
"Ouch..." she whined, still holding in her tears. Omma.. 
 
"Happy now?!" Junho glared at Sekyung. He helped Soeun up. "Come on, Jin Ju. Let's get your wound treated inside." Soeun nodded. The pain was too much to bear. The two left then a scowling Sekyung behind.
 
~~~
 
"Don't bother her. She's always like that." He said after the maids helped cleaned Soeun's wound and put a plaster around it.
 
"It's okay! I'm fine now," Soeun lied. A little, anyway. "Oh, and... don't tell my Appa too!" she whispered. 
 
"Of course I won't! We're friends, aren't we?" he flashed a toothy smile at her. His eye smiles were obvious, and Soeun thought it was cute. She smiled back.
 
"Gomawo for back there. And everything. Hihihi" She giggled. "Ah!!" she added. "What is it? The thing you wanted to show me?" 
 
"Show you? Hmm.. Shireo."
 
"Okay! I'm not going to be friends with you then!" Soeun crossed her arms. "I'm going back to Appa!"
 
"Eyy.. no fair. Fine. I'll show it to you then!" 
 
Soeun clapped in victory. "Yes!! Assa!" 
 
Junho delved deep in his pockets.. Where was it.. Ah! He took out a small box. 
 
"Wah.. what is that?" Soeun asked curiously.
 
Junho opened the clasped velvet box carefully. "Isn't it pretty?" He asked. 
 
Soeun's eyes were already the size of saucers, and fixed to the 'treasure' that gleamed before her.
 
"Wow... it's so pretty.. So so so so so so sooo pretty!" she gushed. Soeun sighed. "That's so unfair.. I want that too..."
 
"Your name is Jin Ju, right?" Junho grinned. 
 
"Eh?" 
 
"Well I heard your dad calling you... Pearlie. Jin Ju."
 
"Ah.. ah so it must be my name, too then! Jin. Ju." Soeun repeated.
 
"Remember what I told you last time?"
 
"We met so many times before, Nuneo.."
 
"The one about the pearl?"
 
"When was that?"
 
"Aw, y'know. When I taught you piano for the first time?"
 
"OH! Yeah, why?"
 
"Well... you know how pearls are expensive and precious, right? It's what my parents always told me. It's something very.. f-fr..fra.."
 
"Fragile?"
 
"Yeah. That."
 
"Well..." He paused for a dramatic moment.
 
"Well what?" Soeun was already impatient. 
 
Junho took the pearlescent sphere from the box. "You're my pearl! Like this one!" He opened her fists and put it, then clamping it shut.
 
"This is for you. For my friend, Jin Ju." He flashed another toothy smile.
 
Soeun couldn't believe what she heard. But otherwise, she was excited. She admired the pinkish sheen on the glinting pearl. 
 
"Wow.. Really?!"
 
"Of course! You're my pearl now!" he repeated again. "Halmeoni even let me use her jewelry case! Friends forever?"
 
Soeun then stared at him weirdly. But still, she was happy.
 
"Thank you Nuneo!!" Soeun spontaneously hugged him.
 
"Sorry.." she then mumbled shyly, glancing at his red ears. "Thank you," she whispered again. "I like this very very very very veeeeeeery much. Forever!"
 
"Assa! Forever!" Junho punched the air. 
 
"But Nuneo.." Soeun started. "Why are you always kind to me?"
 
"Eh? Um.. Aaaah.." Junho scratched his eyebrows. Why was he? 
 
"Oh! Um.. because.. I... LI-"
 
"Pearlie-ah! PEARL! Where are you????" A man's voice called from downstairs. 
 
"Oh! That must be Appa! Must be time for me to go back!" 
 
Junho slumped his shoulders. I was just about to tell her how I like her as my best best best friend. Oh well. I can tell her anytime. We're best friends now!
 
Soeun scurried down the winding staircase, Junho following behind. In the middle of the sea of people, she couldn't seem to find her Appa.
 
"Soeun??? Kim Soeun? Where are you?" Jonghyun called, panicked. He needed to find her, quick. Beads of sweat started trickling on his forehead.
 
Please let Minsook be alright.. Please let Minsook be alright... The phone call he received fifteen minutes ago was still ringing in his ears. He had to find Soeun!
 
"Appa!" Soeun called. Jonghyun didn't seem to hear. His thoughts were still on the phone call. He yet has to digest what he just heard.
 
"Mr.. Kim Jonghyun-sshi?"
 
"Ah, yes yes. Jonghyun."
 
"Are you husband of Kim Minsook?" 
 
"Yes, yes I am." Jonghyun answered, puzzled. 
 
"Well, this is the Busan police department calling to report that your wife..."
 
Jonghyun's heart pounded hard on his chest. "Yes..."
 
"Before that, We hope you accept this calmly, and patiently.."
 
The police department paused. Only heavy breathing was heard.
 
"....... That your wife was involved in a major accident on her way to Dong-gu. We hope you make your way towards the local hospital soon. Her condition is extremely critical. We'll explain more once you get here." 
 
Those words echoed in Jonghyun's head. Major accident. On her way to Dong-gu. Here. Extremely. Critical. Condition. 
 
"Appa!!!!" Soeun called again. Didn't he call her? Soeun thought. Noticing the solemn look on her father's face, Soeun called and asked again, louder this time, tugging at her father's suit.
 
"Appa!!!! What's wrong? Is it time to go back?" 
 
"Soeun-ah. Get in the car!" he demanded. "Quick! We have no time to lose!" 
 
"Are you sure it's okay?" Mongjin, who was standing there calmly, asked. He didn't want to worry Jonghyun more than he was then. 
 
"Yes. Yes I am, hyungnim. I.. hope so." Jonghyun answered flatly as he started the car's engine. "Remember.. don't tell..."
 
"Yookyung or anyone yet until you call me. We'll come straight away when you do." Mongjin patted Jonghyun's shoulder.
 
"Be strong, lad. I will pray for you from here." Mongjin heaved a huge sigh, glancing at a confused Soeun at the back. 
 
"Just drive carefully," he added, glancing at the rumbling storm clouds, hinting that it will continue to rain heavily that evening. 
 
With that, Jonghyun sped off. 
 
God..