Sunday Brunch at Heaven Part 2 - Sharing our lives

Heaven's Boys

 

Brunch continued. The chatter had died down as the table’s occupants were busy with their food.  Kyuhyun had returned to reading the newspaper.

 

It wasn’t too long before most of the food on the table had been polished off.

 

Jongin had to admit that it had been an extremely satisfying meal.

 

Suddenly Sungmin spoke up, “Kids, since we’re almost done here, I think we should share how we have been doing in our lives the last week.”

 

The teenagers at the table with the exception of Jongin groaned.

 

“So who would like to start first?” Sungmin asked cheerily.

 

“Oh Sehun, you’ve been fiddling with your handphone since the start of brunch. Can’t you leave the damn device alone?” Sungmin chided.

 

“He’s busy hooking up his next date,” Baekhyun teased, “or rather victim.”

 

Sehun’s eyes shot some invisible daggers at Baekhyun.

 

Baekhyun turned towards Chanyeol with a pleading look with his puppy-like eyes. Chanyeol raised his hand to pretend to deflect the daggers Sehun shot at Baekhyun.

 

“I don’t believe you two,” Sehun hissed coolly.

 

“Chill it Sehun,” Joon-myun quipped.

 

Jongin sat quietly and observed the exchange.

 

“Ok, Sehun, you start,” Sungmin ordered.

 

“School is pretty fine. I’m practising hard for the next assessment. Otherwise, nothing much to report about,” Sehun said.

 

“And your love life?” Sungmin winked.

 

There was a tinge of embarrassment on Sehun’s face. “Umma!” he protested.

 

“Sehun, we’re your family. And as your guardians, we need to know what’s going in your life, who you’re mixing with,” Sungmin replied.

 

“I’m seeing two older guys. They’re in their thirties.”

 

Jongin was sipping on his water when he heard what Sehun said. He choked and started coughing.

 

Sungmin nodded. “What do they do?”

 

“One’s a retail assistant and the other is a teacher.”

 

“I supposed they hit you up at Heaven,” Baekhyun interjected.

 

“What do you expect? He’s the cutest here,” Chanyeol said.

 

“He isn’t. You’re the cutest,” Baekhyun said as he pinched Chanyeol’s cheek.

 

Chanyeol’s eyes widened and sparkled in happiness and a smirk plastered over his face.

 

“Then why did you shower with me, Baekhyun-hyung?” Sehun questioned.

 

“That was…erm…erm…” Baekhyun stuttered.

 

“I think Kai is the cutest,” a voice spoke up, “if he becomes one of us.”

 

The table turned to the direction where the voice came from. It was Kyungsoo.

 

“Looks like someone’s got a little crush on the newbie,” Sehun teased.

 

“It’s not,” Kyungsoo quickly defended him. A huge awkward expression hung over his face and his already large eyes widened in size that they look ready to pop out any moment.

 

“Kyungsoo’s right,” Joon-myun said as he turned to study Jongin. “Kai really does look quite good. He nice plump y lips are really to die for. And he has the height. And he looks like he has a mean body to match.”

 

Jongin could only blush in response.

 

“Maybe we can get Kai to work here,” Sungmin said. “We could always do with extra help. And we might be able to attract more clients to the club because of him.”

 

“Hooray!” Baekhyun and Chanyeol cheered unanimously.

 

Turning to Sehun, Sungmin’s tone became serious once again. “Sehun, I’m okay with you dating those guys. But don’t let them toy with you physically. As for yourself, don’t toy with their feelings either. That’s not a nice thing to do.”

 

Sehun nodded sheepishly. “I won’t umma. I’ll be careful.”

 

“Good. I don’t want you or any of you here get hurt. So Joon-myun, what do you have to share?”

 

Joon-myun broke out into a broad smile. “Well, my golfing skills are starting to improve. I can pretty much get a hole in one.”

 

“Cho Kyuhyun!” Sungmin suddenly exclaimed. Sungmin tore the newspapers away from Kyuhyun. “Stop reading the papers. Are you even paying attention to what the kids have to say? You know that every Sunday brunch is quality family time where we catch up, so why do you have to appear so uninterested? You just have to do this every week, don’t you?”

 

“I’m really listening,” Kyuhyun protested.

 

Chanyeol whispered into Jongin’s ears, “Kyuhyun-appa is quite the henpecked husband.”

 

Jongin grinned and he whispered back, “Your umma looks pretty feisty.”

 

“That’s one side. You should see his other cute docile side around appa,” Chanyeol said.

 

“So what did Joon-myun and Sehun say?” Sungmin challenged.

 

“Sehun is dating two thirty something year olds which he got to know downstairs. One’s a retail assistant and other is a teacher. Joon-myun said he can pretty much get a hole in one,” Kyuhyun smirked. “Satisfied?”

 

Suddenly Sungmin turned all cutesy and cooed in a higher pitch voice, “I know Kyu cares for his kids.” 

 

Turning to Chanyeol, Jongin whispered, “I see what you mean.”

 

“Joon-myun sorry for the interruption, please carry on,” Kyuhyun said.

 

“Well, golf is such an interesting sport. I really enjoy it. Anyway remember the birthday party we helped to organise for this teenage boy called Lee Sungjong last Saturday?”

 

The boys nodded.

 

“Well, he wrote an email to thank us for a job well done. It was also his coming out of the closet party of sorts and his friends have accepted him as who he is. He is really grateful that Heaven gives people like us a place to hang out and be comfortable with ourselves. And he really liked Baekhyun’s and Kyungsoo’s version of Happy Birthday.”

 

“He did?” Kyungsoo jumped in his seat in excitement. “I was so nervous that evening. I was so afraid of getting it wrong.”

 

“Seriously Kyungsoo, have more confidence in yourself,” Joon-myun encouraged.

 

“I agree,” Baekhyun chimed in. “We were great together. We could become a special vocal project group, a duo or something.”

 

“Thanks guys,” Kyungsoo muttered.

 

“Anyway, I’m happy that the business has been so good. We definitely need more manpower around,” Joon-myun beamed.

 

“That’s to your credit, hyung. All the men are charmed by your megawatt smile,” Sehun said.

 

“Joon-myun,” a voice said sternly. “I want you to go back to school.”

 

It was Kyuhyun.

 

“Your Sungmin-umma and I have discussed about it. We feel that you should go back to school.”

 

Sungmin nodded.

 

“Wae? Am I not doing well enough? If I’m not, please tell me, I’ll work harder,” Joon-myun pleaded.

 

“You misunderstand our intentions,” Sungmin said.

 

“Joon-myun, you were a model student with good grades. But you chose not go to university because you wanted to help out at Heaven full time. I know how much this place means to you and you’re doing a good job helping Min run the place, but as your guardians we feel that you should get the most out of your life and talent. Not saying that working in Heaven is a bad thing or without a good future. We love you Joon-myun and we want the best for you,” Kyuhyun said.

 

“But…”

 

“You can study anything you want as long your grades allow you to get in. Business, performance studies, law, arts, science, engineering, IT…whatever that interests you. We’ll pay for your studies,” Kyuhyun offered.

 

There were tears of gratitude in Joon-myun’s eyes. “Appa…umma…gamsa-hamnida. Your offer is generous…I…I…I…don’t know…”

 

“Just take up their offer, hyung,” Baekhyun said.

 

“Ne,” Chanyeol echoed.

 

“I’ve always looked up to you hyung. You’re such a bright student. You should further your studies, hyung,” Kyungsoo encouraged.

 

“Well, you can see it that as parents, it’s only right that we provide for your education. You could also take it as a scholarship or work benefit to a model worker of Heaven. You don’t have to pay us back.” Kyuhyun said. “Or if you insist you can take it as a loan from us that you can pay us back at your own convenience.”

 

“But…if I study, who’s going to look after Heaven during the day time? Wouldn’t umma be overworked?” Joon-myun asked.

 

“Joon-myun, you don’t have to worry about that. I could always get additional part time help,” Sungmin laughed. “Or the other guys can come help out. Are you all willing?”

 

“Ne umma!” the boys with the exception of Jongin shouted.

 

“See, your brothers are willing to help out. And it seems Kai would be joining our family. So you don’t have to worry about me as long as you are able to continue working on the weekend nights and some weekday nights, I’ll be most grateful to you,” Sungmin smiled.

 

“Appa, umma, gamsa-hamnida,” Joon-myun said as he got up to hug Sungmin and Kyuhyun lovingly. The two adults were all smiles.

 

Wow, Kyuhyun-ssi and Sungmin-ssi are like the world’s coolest parents, Jongin thought to himself. It must be great to have parents like them. The guys here so lucky to have loving parents like them who care and nurture them.

 

Envy was written all over Jongin’s face.

 

“Ok, let’s now hear what Kyungsoo has to say,” Sungmin said as Joon-myun returned to his seat.

 

“I’ve finally reorganised my room with all the boxes that I’ve bought,” Kyungsoo said proudly.

 

Baekhyun groaned, “Not again.”

 

“Didn’t you just reorganise your room like a month ago?” Chanyeol asked, scratching his curly bangs.

 

“Well, this time I sorted out my tops my colour and type,” Kyungsoo said beaming proudly. “as well as underwear, socks.”

 

“You’re extreme hyung,” Sehun remarked,

 

But Kyungsoo ignored Sehun as he continued sternly, “And for heaven’s sake, some of you here stop taking my socks and underwear to use. It’s disgusting and unhygienic!”

 

“Kyungsoo, you have an extra bed in your room right?” Sungmin suddenly asked.

 

“Ne, umma.”

 

“So Kai can be your roommate. That’s settled,” Sungmin said.

 

“Umma!” Kyungsoo exclaimed with a look of horror on his face.

 

“What’s wrong Kyungsoo? Don’t you like to have a roommate?”

 

“It’s…not…that…” he stuttered. Eyeing Jongin apologetically, Kyungsoo said, “I don’t know if he is the messy type or not…”

 

“That’s so rude of you to say that, hyung,” Sehun interjected.

 

Jongin was a little offended at Kyungsoo’s accusation. “Weirdo,” he thought to himself.

 

“Then Sehun can move over to Kyungsoo’s room and Kai can move in with Joon-myun,” Sungmin suggested.

 

“No way!” Kyungsoo and Sehun exclaimed together.

 

“How about Chanyeol or Baekhyun move in with Kyungsoo?” Sungmin suggested.

 

“No way!” Chanyeol, Baekhyun and Kyungsoo exclaimed together.

 

“Chanyeol breathes too loud and makes this loud sniffling thing before he sleeps. And Baekhyun yelps like a puppy,” Kyungsoo protested.

 

“Umma, you can’t separate the Baekyeol couple,” Joon-myun teased.

“Yah! We’re not a couple!” Baekhyun exclaimed.

 

“We’re not a couple,” Chanyeol affirmed. Somehow there was a hint of disappointment in his voice that those in the know of Chanyeol’s fondness for Baekhyun could detect.

 

“Despite our weird sleeping habits, we love each other, don’t we Baekhyun?” Chanyeol asked in a perky manner in a bid to hide his disappointment.

 

Baekhyun nodded enthusiastically.

 

“Baekhyun likes Channie the best right?”

 

“Of course!” Baekhyun shouted.

 

Sehun rolled his eyes. Joon-myun and Kyungsoo sighed.

 

It was so obvious that Chanyeol is in love with Baekhyun but the latter was such a klutz to not notice it.

 

“So does Joon-myun like Sehun the most?” Sehun put on his most cute aegyo expression using his arms to form a heart over his head.

 

“No!” Joon-myun scowled as he shyly eyed Kyungsoo. “You’re not interested in me anyway. I’m not rich enough to buy you things.”

 

“That’s true,” Sehun smirked. “You probably like someone that can cook and…”

 

Before Sehun could finish his sentence, Joon-myun covered Sehun’s mouth with his hands.

 

“Okay, quieten down all of you. You don’t expect Kai to sleep downstairs in the club or on the sofa do you?” Sungmin asked.

 

“Kai can room in with me. I don’t mind. As long as he is neat and doesn’t mess up the room,” Kyungsoo relented.

 

“What the hell?” Jongin thought to himself. “What a terrible attitude. I don’t want to room with him. But I guess I don’t have a choice, do I? Since I’m living off someone else’s charity and under someone else’s roof.”

 

“Alright. That settles it then,” Sungmin said in relief. “But Kai, you must try to keep the room as neat as possible. Kyungsoo is very particular about tidiness and cleanliness.”

 

“Ne,” Jongin said.

 

“Kyungsoo, how has your mood been this week? No funny thoughts I hope?” Kyuhyun asked.

 

“Quite alright, appa. And no, no funny thoughts at all.”

 

Kyuhyun nodded.

 

“Alright Chanyeol, what about you, how was your week?” Sungmin asked.

 

Chanyeol took a deep breath. His face was twitching and his lips were trembling with excitement. He exclaimed, “It was unbelievable!”

 

“Looks like something good happened to you. Quick tell us about it,” Sungmin said.

 

Baekhyun turned to Chanyeol with a surprised and hurt look on his face, “Is there something I don’t know?”

 

“Sorry Baekhyun. I know we agreed to no secrets between us but I just wanted to share this happy news with everyone at the same time.”

 

Chanyeol paused for a while. “Well you know that Baekhyun and I were stalking out SM Entertainment building a few weeks ago so that he could catch a glimpse of SNSD right?”

 

Baekhyun nodded. “Wow I was so excited about seeing them. My goddesses!”

 

“Well, someone from SM Entertainment asked me if I would like to audition for one of their artiste’s MV.”

 

“Wait, why didn’t I know about it?”

 

“Because you ditched me when SNSD appeared,” Chanyeol whined and purposely put on a hurt look. “That’s when their talent scout approached me.”

 

“So whose MV will you be in?” Baekhyun asked excitedly. “Don’t keep us in suspense. Is it f(x), Super Junior, DBSK, SHINee, Boa, or Trax? I think they would probably cast you in DBSK or Trax. No way they will take you for a SNSD MV.”

 

“That’s mean of you to say that. And to think you like me the most. What makes you think I won’t be cast in a SNSD MV?”

 

“I don’t know.”

 

“Anyway I went for an audition and screen test on Monday. I got the results on Friday. And guess what, I made it!” Chanyeol exclaimed excitedly.

 

The people around the table started congratulating Chanyeol, Jongin included, hugging him or high-fiving Chanyeol.

 

Baekhyun just sulked in his seat.

 

“Hyung, why aren’t you congratulating Chanyeol hyung?” Kyungsoo asked innocently.

 

“Ya! Park Chanyeol. You still haven’t said which artiste’s MV you would be filming?”

 

“The artiste that you said I have no chance of being selected for,” Chanyeol smirked.

 

“SNSD! No way!!!!!” Baekhyun exclaimed. His jaw and face dropped in a mixture of shock, envy, jealousy, horror and anger.

 

“Wow! SNSD. Chanyeol hyung, you’re going to be a star!” exclaimed the normally cool maknae. “When you make money, remember to support me!”

 

“This can’t be happening,” Baekhyun grumbled as he slumped in his seat. “This is so not fair. I’ve been SNSD’s number one fan since their debut. I bought all their albums, downloaded all their singles legally, and attended most of their fansigns and all their concerts. I have a large collection of their posters and memorabilia enough to create a shrine in my bedroom for them and Chanyeol gets to be in their MV. And he didn’t even tell me about this whole thing earlier. And to think we like each other the best. And he actually kept this huge secret from me. Hmmph.”

 

Baekhyun did not know what he should feel more upset about – Chanyeol being in a SNSD MV or Chanyeol keeping a secret from him.

 

Chanyeol noticed that Baekhyun was a little upset and he slipped his left arm around Baekhyun’s shoulder.

 

“Baekhyun, mianhae,” he whispered into Baekhyun’s ear. “If you are unhappy about me being in a SNSD MV, I’ll give SM a call on Monday and turn down the offer and try recommending you instead. So don’t be upset.”

 

Baekhyun broke into a smile. “It’s okay Channie. I’m really happy for you. You don’t have to give up this opportunity for me.”

 

“Really? But I don’t want you to feel unhappy or slighted.”

 

“I won’t be. Maybe you can let me accompany you to the shooting of the MV?” Baekhyun asked hopefully.

 

“I’ll try my best.”

 

“Gomawo.”

 

“I should be thanking you instead,” Chanyeol said as he hugged Baekhyun.

 

“So looks like Chanyeol might become a superstar in the future. Perhaps we might get to debut with some boy group under SM Entertainment and become famous,” Sungmin said dreamily.

 

“I wish I was his age. I will go audition for SM Entertainment,” Sungmin continued in his dream like state when he earned a smack from Kyuhyun on his back.

 

“Wake up. You’re in your forties,” Kyuhyun dryly said.

 

And that earned him a cold glare from his “wife”.

 

Turning to Baekhyun, Sungmin then asked, “What about you Hyunnie?”

 

“The band is up and running and we’re starting to jam and practise together.”

 

“Any upcoming performances or gigs?” Sungmin asked.

 

“Unfortunately no. We’re still building our rapport with one another. Give it another few months. We’ll rock the house down,” Baekhyun declared confidently.

 

Sungmin nodded. “We’re so proud of you Hyunnie. You have a good voice just like your Kyu-appa.”

 

“Gamsa-hamnida, umma. Umma, I was wondering if I could take Saturday evening off. I promise I would be back by midnight to help out.” Baekhyun asked.

 

“Sure. Why do you want the evening off?”

 

“I’m going out on a date with this pretty noona from school. I don’t believe she asked me out on a date,” Baekhyun gushed excitedly.

 

Just then everyone present heard something metallic hit the floor.

 

“Choi-song hamnida,” muttered a soft but deep voice as the person pushed his chair back a little and bent down to pick up the chopsticks.

 

The smile of Chanyeol’s face had disappeared. The gleam in his eyes was replaced by a forlorn, morose look. 

 

“You didn’t tell me about this date,” Chanyeol turned towards Baekhyun and eyed him. “Didn’t we agree that there are no secrets between us?”

 

“Erm,” Baekhyun scratched his head and said breezily. “Didn’t I mention this to you Friday night? I thought I told you. Oh maybe I didn’t after all. I’m sorry Channie. You were meant to be the first one to know. I guess I was too excited about this date that I became a little absent-minded.”

 

But Chanyeol remained silent and refused to look at Baekhyun.

 

“Ya! Park Chanyeol! What’s with that solemn face of yours? Are you angry that I didn’t tell about my date? Come on, you didn’t tell me about being selected for the SNSD MV either. So this makes us even,” Baekhyun blurted.

 

Kyungsoo dropped his spoon on the plate causing a clattering sound that shattered the silence and tension in the air. His mouth was gaping and his eyes were bulging in horror.

 

Joon-myun’s smile was wiped off from his face as he knitted his eyebrows and fretted.

 

Sehun turned his glance away from the table and hurriedly started to play with his handphone.

 

Sungmin turned towards Kyuhyun with an anxious look. He was about to open his mouth but Kyuhyun shook his head.

 

Sungmin understood what Kyuhyun meant. Although they both knew that Chanyeol had a huge crush on Baekhyun, they were unsure how Baekhyun felt. And as adults, they knew better than to meddle themselves with the kids’ relationships so Sungmin held on to his tongue.   

 

Jongin was feeling uncomfortable at the atmosphere. The convivial atmosphere had suddenly become strange.

 

Just now Chanyeol said one of them is probably heteroual. Looks like he is referring to Baekhyun-hyung, Jongin analysed internally.

 

“Does Chanyeol have feelings for Baekhyun?” Jongin wondered to himself. He made a mental note to himself to ask someone about it. Anyone but Chanyeol himself. 

 

“Appa, umma, I’m full,” Chanyeol said as he picked up his plate. He turned to Jongin and asked, “Do you want to eat anymore?”

 

Jongin shook his head. Chanyeol then took Jongin’s plate and stacked in over his own. Chanyeol then reached for Baekhyun’s plate and took it from him, never mind that there was some leftover food on the plate. He stacked the plate on top.

 

“I’m going to do the dishes,” he said.

 

“Ya! Park Chanyeol! What’s wrong with you?” Baekhyun exclaimed. “I’m not even done with my food yet. Why did you take my plate away? And you didn’t even wish me good luck with my date? Aren’t you my best friend?”

 

But Chanyeol ignored Baekhyun and walked to the kitchen.

 

“Ya! Park Chanyeol!”

 

Joon-myun took his plate and reached for Sehun’s plate. “I’m going to help Chanyeol with the dishes.”

 

Joon-myun then disappeared off to the kitchen.

 

Kyuhyun cleared his throat. “Well since brunch is over, Kai, can we go speak for a while in the study. Kyungsoo, I know you need to get some food and groceries. Do you think you can bring Kai out to shop for a few clothes and necessities since he’s going to live with us?”

 

Kyungsoo nodded.

 

Kyuhyun rose from his seat. “Kai, let’s have a talk.”

 

Jongin excused himself from the table and followed after Kyuhyun.

 

Sehun also excused himself from the table. Kyungsoo and Sungmin helped to clear the remaining plates and dishes. Baekhyun was still at his seat looking bewildered and muttering incoherently to himself.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter. Any parts of the chapter which you like?

Please continue to comment and subscribe to this story if you haven't done so. I really appreciate your comments very much. 

So have you guys figured out who is the "straight" one amongst the boys? Have you guessed who likes who and who likes what? How do you think the relationship lines play out in the future? 

I guess KyuMin must be the coolest parents around. Which character do you like/dislike the most so far? 

 

 

Do check out my other fan fics if you have not already done so.

My other fan fics

KyuMin: Almost a love story

KyuMin: 60 Days 

It's You (너라고) Neorago (a YeWook fan-fic)