YeWook visits and Sunday brunch

Heaven's Boys

 

The rice was steaming in the cooker and its fragrance permeated the kitchen.

 

It was about eleven on a Sunday morning. Kyungsoo had been working in the kitchen since he woke up about 10. This was his normal routine. He would finish his work in the club at three in the morning, return upstairs for a quick shower before hitting the sack at around half past three. He would awake before the rest of Heaven’s residents to prepare brunch for everyone.

 

Kyungsoo did not mind cooking for the family. In fact he enjoyed it. He felt that this gave him some meaning and purpose. When Sungmin-umma learnt that Kyungsoo had an interest in cooking when he (Kyungsoo) first came to live in Heaven, Sungmin immediately put Kyungsoo in charge of preparing meals for the family and even allowed Kyungsoo to experiment with various recipes. Fortunately, Kyungsoo was rather talented in cooking and Heaven’s residents did not have to suffer any horrible consequences of bad cooking.

 

Kyungsoo wanted to be a chef or a fashion designer. He remembered Jino being supportive of his dream. They would laugh and daydream together. Jino had wanted to be an artiste. And he had a good voice.

 

Kyungsoo sighed as he remembered their last meal they had together. They were at the beach eating kimbap that was prepared by Kyungsoo and snacking on Pepero sticks. But everything changed just a few hours after they enjoyed their meal together.

 

Kyungsoo quickly brush those thoughts off as he went to check the boiling pot of soup. He took some handmade dumplings and put them into the pot.

 

Next he started slicing the pork strips when Joon-myun walked into the kitchen yawning. He reached for a cup and poured himself a cup of water.

 

“Good morning, hyung,” Kyungsoo greeted.

 

“Kyungsoo-ah, good morning to you,” Joon-myun replied in between a yawn.

 

“Hyung, did you sleep well?” Kyungsoo asked.

 

“Ne,” Joon-myun replied with another yawn. “Kyungsoo-ah, do you want some help around here?”

 

“It’s okay hyung. You should go back to sleep. Brunch will only be ready in about 45 minutes. You should catch some more rest,” Kyungsoo said.

 

“You know Kyungsoo, I wonder how you manage cooking for all of us this while all by yourself,” Joon-myun remarked. “And everything tastes good.”

 

“It wasn’t easy at first cooking for so many people. There were six of us then. Now we’ve grown to eight.”

 

“It’s really been hard on you, Kyungsoo-ah,” Joon-myun said tenderly as he patted Kyungsoo on his back. “You’ll make a good boyfriend and life partner to whoever you end up with.”

 

“Hyung, gomawo. And you’re making a caring boyfriend to whoever you end up with too,” Kyungsoo said.

 

Joon-myun felt a lump in his throat.

 

Should I confess to him how I feel?

 

Just Joon-myun was about to open his mouth to speak, Kyungsoo said, “Anyway I don’t think it’s a hard job cooking for my family.”

 

Joon-myun forced a bitter smile. “So Kyungsoo-ah, how can I help?”

 

“You could help me prepare the sigeumchi namul and kongnamul muchim,” Kyungsoo said.

 

“So what do I do first?”

 

“You have to boil a pot of water, add one teaspoon of salt and then blanch the spinach for not more than 30 seconds. Then rinse in cold water three times and squeeze the water out. When you’re done I’ll tell you what to do next.”

 

“Yes sir,” Joon-myun smiled.

 

As Joon-myun went about his tasks, he eyed Kyungsoo who was diligently preparing the meat for cooking.

 

“I guess this would be enough for me now. Yes, this would be enough for me. I shouldn’t be greedy and ask for more. I’m happy like this, cooking with you, helping you out,” Joon-myun thought to himself.

 

“Can I ever become a good boyfriend to you? Do you see me Kyungsoo-ah? Can you see my heart? Can I become more than just a hyung to you? Are you still unable to forget him? Do you have someone new already?” Joon-myun continued to think to himself.

 

“Kyungsoo-ah, I’m done rinsing the vegetables. What do I do now?” Joon-myun asked.

 

Put the minced garlic, the chopped green onion, one and half teaspoon of soy sauce and half a teaspoon into the bowl. Stir first and then add the spinach in,” Kyungsoo instructed.

 

Joon-myun did as he was told. “Okay what next?”

 

“We mix it by hand,” Kyungsoo said as he took Joon-myun’s hand and placed into the bowl. With each of their hand in the bowl, they started to mix the spinach with the marinade together as their fingers brushed against one another sending a tingling warm sensation down Joon-myun spine.

 

……

 

Baekhyun and Chanyeol were lying side by side on a big bed which they shared. It was originally Baekhyun’s bed until Chanyeol become part of the family some four years ago.

 

Baekhyun tossed and turn to his side on the right where Chanyeol was and nestled his head on Chanyeol’s shoulder while his left arm was across Chanyeol’s chest.

 

They remained like this for a while before Chanyeol’s eyes fluttered as he opened them. Rays of sunlight streamed into their room. He glanced at his alarm clock. It was five past eleven. It was time to rise.

 

He turned to the figure on his left and smiled.

 

He decided to let Baekhyun sleep for another five minutes as he ran his hands through Baekhyun’s hair earning a soft moan from Baekhyun.

 

“Baekhyun-ah,” Chanyeol gently nudged Baekhyun. “It’s time to get up. It’s almost brunch time.”

 

Baekhyun stirred from his position. He opened his eyes and rubbed them.

 

“Channie, what time is it?” he asked in a seductive voice.

 

Chanyeol quickly dispelled Baekhyun’s y tone from his mind so that it would not be a turn on for him. It was not as though it was the first time he heard Baekhyun in the morning.

 

“Ten past eleven,” Chanyeol.

 

Baekhyun sighed. “It’s time to get up.”

 

“I’ll go wash up first,” Chanyeol said as he grabbed some clothes from their shared cupboard and left the room.

 

Chanyeol was soon done with washing up and it was Baekhyun’s turn next. He stepped into the kitchen where Joon-myun and Kyungsoo were still preparing brunch.

 

Chanyeol grabbed a glass of water as he exchanged knowing looks with Joon-myun.

 

Both of them were like brothers on the same boat and shared an unspoken camaraderie.

 

“Did anyone see Kai? Kyungsoo asked.

 

The other two boys shook their head.

 

“Aish, that sleeping beauty,” Kyungsoo shook his head. “I’m going to wake him up.”

 

Kyungsoo then look leave of the kitchen.

 

“So how does it feel to be able to help Kyungsoo prepare lunch?” Chanyeol piped up suddenly.

 

Joon-myun who was startled by Chanyeol’s question could only stutter, “Alright I guess. I guess this is as much as I can do now.”

 

“What about you Chanyeol? You were feeling pretty restless last night. Must be Baekhyun’s date, right?”

 

Chanyeol sighed.

 

Soon, Baekhyun walked into the kitchen.

 

“I’m going to help lay the table for brunch,” Joon-myun said as he grabbed the cutlery and excused himself from the kitchen.

 

“Baekhyun-ah, how was your date?”

 

Baekhyun’s face lit up at the thought of the date.

 

“Well we had a great time at the noraebang with our schoolmates. Then we broke off with the group to have dinner and ice-cream together. Enjoyed some conversation. Basically it’s just that.”

 

Chanyeol nodded.

 

“But I want to thank you for suggesting to me to put on eyeliner. Ji-eun noona said I look really y and hot with the eyeliner.”

 

“I’m glad my advice was useful,” Chanyeol stuttered, unsure of what to say. But Chanyeol thought to himself that Baekhyun looked just as adorable without eyeliner with the small puppy eyes of his. Chanyeol liked that Baekhyun better.

 

“Anyway we have another date next week,” Baekhyun smirked.

 

“What?” Chanyeol gulped.

 

“Actually I don’t know if that would count as a date. She wants to come and check out Heaven next Saturday evening. And I agreed,” Baekhyun said.

 

Chanyeol groaned inwardly as he thought to himself, “Now he even brings her home.”

 

......

 

Sehun was working at the bar counter when he spotted a doll-like boy with awkward body movements and doe eyes approaching him.

 

“I want a Bourbon Coke,” the doll like figure said as his mouth made some mechanical movements.

 

“Are you of legal age to drink?” Sehun questioned.

 

“I am 200 years old,” the other figure said before outstretching his arms and began to throttle Sehun’s neck.”

 

“Help! Help! I’m being killed by a monster! Help! Someone help me!”

 

Sehun opened his eyes wide in shock as he lifted his head up.

 

“It’s just a dream. But that figure looked really familiar. Where have I seen him before?”

 

Sehun thought for a while and a realisation suddenly dawned upon him. “That’s right. Lu Han! How did he even get into my head?

 

“Ugh!” Sehun grabbed his hair. I hate pretty boys. They can’t be trusted.”

 

Sehun stood up and looked at himself at the mirror and grimaced, “Just like you, you also can’t be trusted. You hide behind a pretty face and fool the whole world.”

 

Sehun cursed as he walked towards the bathroom, “Lee Kiseop! You messed up my world!”

 

......

 

“Kai, Kai, wake up. It’s almost time for brunch,” Kyungsoo nudged Jongin’s shoulder.

 

“Mmm...”

 

“Kai, Sunday brunches are am important affair. Wake up.”

 

“I’m sleepy. I want to sleep some more.”

 

“You can always get back to sleep after brunch. Now wake up.”

 

“I don’t want to,” Jongin mumbled.

 

Kyungsoo grabbed Jongin by his one of his hands and attempted to pull Jongin up. But Jongin stubbornly tried his best to glue his body to the bed. Jongin then threw the bolster which was in his other hand at Kyungsoo.

 

“Hey, it might be a bolster, but it still hurts,” Kyungsoo complained.

 

There was still response from Jongin.

 

Guess I have no choice but to do this, Sorry Kai.

 

Kyungsoo reached for the alarm clock by his bedside. Kyungsoo grinned as he faced Jongin and let the alarm clock off into Jongin’s ears.

 

“Woah! What was that?” Jongin screamed as he lifted his head from the sudden noise. Just then he felt his lips were on something soft and he could feel hot breath just next to him. He rubbed his eyes.

 

“Kyungsoo-hyung,” Jongin stuttered.

 

He realised that his lips were attached to Kyungsoo’s lips. Jongin quickly rested his head on the pillow.

 

Kyungsoo’s eyes were the size of golf-balls. His lips were quivering. Kyungsoo seemed to be frozen. The alarm was still sounding. Jongin gingerly reached for the clock to press the alarm down. That seemed to snap Kyungsoo out of his zombie state.

 

“Kai, you’re up. Good. We’re going to have lunch soon,” Kyungsoo said. His tone was calm and monotonous.

 

Jongin did not know how to respond as he watched Kyungsoo rise, and saunter over to his (Kyungsoo’s) bedside to return the clock, before finally leaving the room. 

 

......

 

The family with the exception of Kyuhyun had gathered round the table for their meal. Kyuhyun then came in with two guys next to him. One of them had a big head with scruffy hair while the other was a petite boy who seemed to have not outgrown puberty.

 

Joon-myun and Chanyeol jumped up from their seats and rushed to the two unfamiliar faces – to Jongin that is.

 

“Yesung-appa, Ryeowook-appa!” the two boys shouted and hugged the old older men.

 

Kyungsoo, Baekhyun and Sehun meanwhile remained in their seats.

 

“Who are these two guys?” Jongin leaned over to Baekhyun and whispered.

 

“The one with the bigger head is Yesung. That’s his nick actually. He’s a psychologist and he counsels some of the guys here. The shorter and skinny guy is Ryeowook. He’s Yesung’s partner, well, you know like how Sungmin-umma is to Kyuhyun-appa. He’s a social worker. He referred all of us except both of us, of course, to Heaven.”

 

Jongin nodded in understanding. “Joon-myun hyung and Chanyeol hyung seem to be closer and affectionate to them than Kyungsoo-hyung and Sehun.”

 

“Joon-myun hyung and Channie are sort of their sons. Kyungsoo and Sehun seem to be a little guarded with them though. But Yesung-appa and Ryeowook-appa are really nice caring people.”

 

The kids were done hugging Yesung and Ryeowook.

 

“Hey Joon-myun can you please keep the watermelon in the fridge?” Ryeowook asked before reaching into one of the paper bags to bring out a tub of kimchi. “Please put the kimchi in the fridge too.”

 

“I’ve also baked a pumpkin pie which we can have for dessert later,” Ryeowook said as he took out another cardboard box out from the paper bag.

 

“Wookie, you don’t really need to go through all the trouble,” Sungmin said.

 

“That’s alright hyung. I love preparing food for you guys,” Ryeowook replied.

 

“Come on Sungmin, indulge my Wookie a little,” Yesung laughed.

 

“I’m starving. Let’s eat,” Kyuhyun said as he sat down. Chanyeol had brought out two chairs while Joon-myun brought out two bowls of rice and cutlery for Yesung and Ryeowook.

 

Lunch began. The adults were laughing and talking amongst themselves. Jongin noticed that Yesung and Ryeowook would take food for the other party.

 

Jongin looked on enviously. There is so much love going between the adults. He really wondered how they could make their relationships work.

 

The teenagers with the exception of Kyungsoo who had been remained silent since brunch started were engaged in their own conversation of their own.

 

And the topic seemed to revolve around a name as Jongin pricked his ears in interest.

 

Lu Han.

 

From the description of Baekhyun, Chanyeol and Joon-myun, Jongin did not recollect coming across the said guy last night. Jongin noticed that Sehun’s face was flushed with anger.

 

“He’s quite cute, isn’t he?” Baekhyun said.

 

Chanyeol nodded. “I could totally picture him with our Sehun together.”

 

“Ya!” Sehun protested. “Don’t talk rubbish! He’s too pretty for my liking. He looks flirty too just like any other pretty boy.”

 

Joon-myun mused, “Too bad I don’t have a photo of that Lu Han guy or I will create a photo composite of Lu Han and Sehun together. I wonder how both of them would like.”

 

“They really have this couple look,” Chanyeol interjected.

 

“Ah! Shihreo!” Sehun exclaimed.

 

“And you look like a couple with Baekhyun-hyung,” Sehun stuck his tongue out at Chanyeol.

 

Chanyeol and Baekhyun blushed.

 

“Maybe Joon-myun hyung can try searching Facebook or weibo or whatever they call it for Lu Han’s photo. I’m curious how he looks,” Jongin piped.

 

“Good idea. We can try Facebook. But neither of us can read Mandarin. Sehun might remember how his name is written though since he did his passport,” Joon-myun said.

 

“No way am I going to participate in this farce,” Sehun declared. “Anyway he looks like a to me. I saw many guys approach him last night.”

 

“Do you think Lu Han needs a job?” Baekhyun suddenly said.

 

“What are you thinking of?” Chanyeol asked.

 

“You know if what Sehun says is true, that Lu Han is popular with guys, then he might be able to bring in more customers,” Baekhyun mused.

 

“That’s a good idea,” Joon-myun smiled.

 

“Andwae! I object!” Sehun exclaimed.

 

The boys with the exception of Kyungsoo who seemed to be lost in his own world, laughed at Sehun.

 

“Hiring him is not up to you to decide, right, Sehun,” Joon-myun smirked.

 

Sehun glared at Joon-myun. “There’s no way I’m going to let you guys find him. But if you do want to hire Lu Han, you should hire his friend. He looks cute. And he is probably your fanboy.”

 

It was Joon-myun’s turn to blush.

 

“So our leader has his fans,” Chanyeol teased.

 

“Hyung, you should date him,” Baekhyun chimed in.

 

“You know I don’t date customers,” Joon-myun stated as he eyed Kyungsoo nervously, hoping the younger boy was not paying attention to their conversation. 

 

“But Sehun does,” Jongin pointed out.

 

“And speaking of which, I have one tonight,” Sehun announced proudly.

 

“Well, it’s time for dessert,” Ryeowook suddenly said. “Before that I have some presents for everyone.”

 

Ryeowook reached into a paper bag. He stood up and handed out nicely wrapped boxes to each of the kids and the teenagers thanked him.

 

“You must be Kai, right?” Ryeowook said when he finally came to Jongin.

 

“You mean I get one too?” Jongin asked.

 

Ryeowook nodded.

 

“Gamsa-hamnida,” Jongin replied.

 

Jongin opened the box which revealed a designer t-shirt.

 

“It’s really nice,” Jongin gushed.

 

The other teenagers also received similar presents like Jongin.

 

“Wookie, you’re pretty generous. Don’t I get a present too?” Kyuhyun asked.

 

“What can I get a guy who almost has everything?” Ryeowook asked.  

 

“You mean I don’t get any?” Kyuhyun asked. “And yet Kai here gets one. That’s so unfair!”

 

“Don’t compare yourself to the kids!” Yesung laughed.

 

“Anyway kids, I’m sorry for coming by to see you this late,” Yesung said. “As you know we were in New York and only got home last Saturday night. And we were kind of jetlagged.”

 

The teenagers nodded in understanding.

 

“Appa, thanks for the shirt, it’s really nice,” Joon-myun said again.

 

“But why do I have one?” Jongin asked.

 

“That originally belonged to me,” Kyuhyun teased.

 

“I’m sorry,” Jongin bowed.

 

“I’m just teasing,” Kyuhyun said.

 

Yesung said, “Don’t mind Kyu. It’s not even his to begin. Wookie here liked the t-shirt and thought it would be a waste not to get it.”

 

“Oh!”

 

“Anyway it was meant as a gift, so enjoy it,” Yesung said, sensing that Jongin began to feel uneasy from receiving the present.

 

“So how was New York?” Sungmin asked enviously with a pout. “Kyuhyun here hasn’t even brought me there yet.”

 

“Umm, I … umm … let’s listen to Yesung-hyung and Ryeowook-hyung have to say about their trip,” Kyuhyun quickly tried to change the topic.

 

“We obviously shopped a lot. We strolled down Fifth Avenue. And we got to see many Broadway shows. New York is such a vibrant, busy city, very cosmopolitan and it’s really huge. And we took a trip to Buffalo to see the Niagara Falls. We also crossed over to the Canadian section. Spectacular sight,” Ryeowook said.

 

“We just posted some of our trip’s photos on Facebook,” Yesung said as he took out a tablet and logged onto to Facebook. He then showed Sungmin the photographs of the trip.

 

Sungmin could only look on enviously as his lips formed into a pout as he widened his fox-liked eyes.

 

“Kyuhyun-ah, I can’t believe that we have not even been to New York yet,” Sungmin sighed.

 

Kyuhyun shot a glare at Yesung for opening a can of worms much to the latter’s amusement.

 

“So Kyuhyun-ah,” Sungmin purred. “When are we going to New York? Can we go to New York this year?”

 

“Umm,” Kyuhyun fidgeted nervously and he mumbled, “Not this year Minnie.”

 

Sungmin heard Kyuhyun’s reply as he raised his voice, “What do you mean not this year? I don’t care. I want to go to New York this year.”

 

“Minnie,” Kyuhyun tried to placate Sungmin.

 

“If you don’t take me to New York, you’ll sleep in your study for the whole of next week,” Sungmin threatened with an evil smile.

 

“What?” Kyuhyun gasped.

 

The rest of the people gathered round the table burst into laughter.

 

Kyuhyun sighed. “Ya YeWook couple, you just have to ruin everything for me.”

 

Kyuhyun turned to Sungmin, “Minnie, the reason we can’t go New York is because I’ve already booked a holiday for us to Prague in six weeks time.”

 

“We’re going to Prague?” Sungmin gaped.

 

“And to other parts in Eastern Europe. It’ll be a 10 days trip. I would have liked it to be longer, but I can’t take that much leave from work if we want to get out for a short holiday during year’s end,” Kyuhyun said.

 

Sungmin squealed and wrapped his arms round Kyuhyun’s neck. “It’s perfect.”

 

But Sungmin gave a small pout, “But what about the club and the boys?”

 

“Minnie, it’s not the first time that we’re leaving them all by themselves. We still have Eunhyuk,” Kyuhyun reassured.

 

“I’ll watch over everyone,” Joon-myun said. “Don’t forget I’M Suho.”

 

“We’ll babysit them for you,” Ryeowook offered. “We can just hang around the club during the weekends or something, right Sungie?”

 

Yesung gave a quick peck on Ryeowook’s lips. “Anything you say Wookie as long I don’t have to end up giving some weird performance.”

 

Jongin whispered into Chanyeol who was next to him, “They’re so loving.”

 

“Both couples have been together for about 18 years. Can you believe that?” Chanyeol whispered back.

 

“I wonder if forever exists in our world,” Jongin mused.

 

“If the adults are any good example, I guess yes,” Chanyeol replied optimistically. “I guess undergoing so many things together as friends and as a couple really helped build their bond.”

 

Jongin nodded as he thought to himself, “If only Taemin only believed in me.”

 

“So Kai, do you want to hear their story?” Baekhyun asked. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, did you enjoy this chapter? What moments did you enjoy the most? Kaisoo? Kyungsoo-Suho, Baekyeol? 

We have a little bit more about Kyungsoo's past. More will be revealed in later chapters. You want to guess what went on? 

And Sehun, what do you think he experienced? Who is this Lee Kiseop guy which Sehun mention? How did the said person mess up Sehun's life?

And the YeWook couple finally appears...

Anyway the next five to six chapters or so would be on KyuMin. Sorry to disappoint the EXO-fans out there though. The KyuMin couple too is also one of the main characters in this storyline. So do give them your love, okay?

Meanwhile, please continue to shower me with your love with your comments. Remember to subscribe to this story if you have not done so. Let's make the number of subbies go past 90.

And if you're new here, hello and I hope you enjoy reading this story as much as I enjoy writing.

 

Do check out  and comment on my other fan fics if you have not already done so.

My other fan fics

KyuMin: Almost a love story

KyuMin: 60 Days 

It's You (너라고) Neorago (a YeWook fan-fic)