Confrontation

Heaven's Boys

 

Sehun and Kyungsoo were having breakfast when Baekhyun sauntered into the dining room.

 

“Good morning hyung,” Sehun greeted Baekhyun, followed by Kyungsoo.

 

Baekhyun pulled out a chair lazily, plonked himself down and sighed. “Has anyone of you seen Chanyeol?” Baekhyun asked.

 

Both Sehun and Kyungsoo shook their heads.

 

“Funny, I was just about to ask you where Chanyeol hyung was,” Sehun remarked.

 

Baekhyun shrugged. “I have no idea. I don’t even know what he’s up to these days.”

 

“But how can you not know? Aren’t both of you always together?” Sehun asked as he munched on a slice toast. “Both of you are inseparable like conjoined twins. We don’t talk to you or Chanyeol hyung as often and as much since both of you always seem to be engrossed in your own world and shut us out.”

 

Baekhyun sighed and let out a yawn. “I know. It’s just that I’ve been a bit busy with Ji-eun noona. Today is one of those days I want to watch a movie with Channie, but he’s nowhere to be found this early. Why didn’t he tell me where he went?”

 

“Ugh!’ Baekhyun exclaimed as he ruffled his hair in frustration.

 

Sehun shook his head and let out a tsk-tsk in disapproval of what Baekhyun had just said. “So you’ve neglected your best friend for a girl and you’re now complaining that you can’t spend time with me just because he went somewhere?”

 

“I know. Don’t judge me,” Baekhyun replied as he noticed Sehun’s dissatisfied stare.

 

“It’s like this Ji-eun girl is your priority and Chanyeol hyung is your spare tyre or back-up plan,” Sehun remarked.

 

“Fine it’s my fault. I should have paid more attention to him,” Baekhyun sighed. “I only know that he smells like bread and pastries these days.”

 

“Bread and pastries,” Kyungsoo muttered.

 

“Yes, bread and pastries,” Baekhyun sighed as he rested his chin listlessly on the table.

 

“I know Chanyeol has been bringing home pastries from this shop within the neighbourhood, though it requires some walking distance,” Kyungsoo said.  

 

Baekhyun raised his head; his eyes glittered with hope. “Kyungsoo-ah, do you know the name of the shop and the address?”

 

“I think so. Do you want it?”

 

“Yes please.”

 

……

 

Baekhyun found himself standing outside Maison de K Patisserie and Boulangerie, peering through the large glass windows.

 

There was Chanyeol at the counter wearing a white apron and a white cap. There was another handsome tall boy with dyed gold locks next to Chanyeol who was also in a white apron and white cap and they seemed to be engaged in a happy conversation. Both of them were laughing. Baekhyun spotted the tall stranger adjust Chanyeol’s apron and cap. This caused Baekhyun to clench his fists.

 

Chanyeol then smiled at the stranger as the former disappeared from Baekhyun’s sight. Chanyeol returned a while later carrying a large metallic tray. Just as Chanyeol set the metal tray down on the counter, Chanyeol jumped a little causing the stranger to grab Chanyeol’s hands to blow at it. This infuriated Baekhyun as he burst into the stop.

 

“Eo-seo o-se-yo,” both Kris and Chanyeol echoed cheerily and brightly in unison as the bell from the opening of the door sounded.

 

Chanyeol then came face to face with Baekhyun as he stuttered, “Byun…Byun…Byunbaek…”

 

Kris stole a glance at Chanyeol and noticed Chanyeol’s smile stiffening. At once, Kris got the idea.

 

“Son-nim,” Kris greeted Baekhyun with a confident smile. “The croissants, pain au chocolat and brioche bread are just fresh out from the oven. Would you like to buy some?”

 

But Baekhyun ignored Kris and only stared at Chanyeol. Baekhyun then rattled off without thinking, “Channie, what are you doing here? Are you working here? Are you so in need of extra money that you have to take another job?”

 

Feeling embarrassed and sorry, Chanyeol gave Kris an apologetic glance. “I’m just helping out here. Kris hyung here has been giving me a few baking lessons…”

 

“So is this what you have been up to during the last two weeks or so?” Baekhyun asked.

 

Chanyeol nodded. “I’m grateful that Kris hyung is willing to teach me some basic baking skills although I’m still pretty lousy at it.”

 

Kris smiled at Chanyeol, “Well, it’s only been a few times. Don’t worry. You’ll improve with time and practice.”

 

Chanyeol nodded.

 

“So you’re not being paid?” Baekhyun asked. He sounded a little agitated now.

 

“No. I’m just helping Kris hyung out here for a few hours. In between he teaches me how to…”

 

“He’s making use of you, you nitwit. You’re his free labour,” Baekhyun accused.

 

“Excuse me,” Kris rebuffed. “I’m nowhere short of staff. Chanyeol only volunteered because he was kind of interested in the baking business…”

 

“I’m not even speaking to you,” Baekhyun dismissed Kris. Baekhyun then grabbed Chanyeol’s hand, “Since you’re not even being paid, I don’t see why you must stay here any longer. Come on, let’s go and see a movie. We’ve not gone out together for a while. Just the both us.”

 

But no matter how Baekhyun tugged at Chanyeol, Chanyeol just did not budge as he held onto the counter.

 

“Shihreo,” Chanyeol said. “I don’t want to watch a movie. I just want to stay here. You can ask Sehun or any of the other guys or even your Ji-eun noona to catch the movie with you.”

 

“Ji-eun noona isn’t free today, nor is she into those movies. And you know I don’t watch movies together with the guys unless we go in one group. You have always gone to the movies with…”

 

Kris noticed a hurt expression gradually forming on Chanyeol’s face. Chanyeol asked bitterly, “So what do you think I am? Your spare tyre? Or someone you can just order about at your whim and fancy?”

 

“Why are you talking about? You’re my best friend. I don’t see why you should be spending time with anyone else besides me, your best friend,” Baekhyun stated.

 

Chanyeol laughed wryly. “Best friend? Since when have you considered me your best friend? You have stopped considering me your best friend ever since you’ve gotten close to that Ji-eun noona of yours. Have you ever bothered to ask me out?”

 

“Yes, I admit I’ve been busy with her. But I did try asking you out. I wanted to ask you after your classes on Thursday but you did not pick up your phone. You must have spent your time here,” Baekhyun said.

 

“Yes I did. You have the right to spend time with whoever you want. So why can’t I?” Chanyeol retorted.

 

“Park Chanyeol, what’s wrong with you? Why are you behaving like a kid? Why are you acting like this? You used to tell me everything. Everything has changed since you started coming here,” Baekhyun raised his voice to question.

 

“Says the one who doesn’t give a care about his best friend. I didn’t change. You did. Ever since you started hanging out with that Ji-eun,” Chanyeol snapped.

 

“I’ve always been the same. What’s the matter with you? Why are you blaming Ji-eun noona? She has nothing to do with this. This guy however,” Baekhyun pointed at Kris, “is a bad influence on you and our friendship.”

 

Kris became enraged at Baekhyun’s comment as he knitted his eyebrows in anger. He stepped between Baekhyun and Chanyeol as he shot Baekhyun a deathly glare.

 

“Look, I’m running a business here. If you don’t want to buy anything, just leave. Don’t create a scene or bring whatever arguments you have here. Keep me out of your arguments. I have a reputation to protect and I won’t go easy on you if you tarnish it,” Kris warned.

 

“See, Chanyeol, this is what I meant,” Baekhyun exclaimed as he waved his hands wildly to get Chanyeol’s attention as Baekhyun was being blocked by Kris. “Come on, Channie, let’s go.”

 

But Chanyeol did not budge.

 

“Don’t tell me that you like goldilocks here? Are you in love with him? Does he like you too? Since when did this started?” Baekhyun asked incredulously.

 

This made Chanyeol to lower his head in embarrassment.

 

“Didn’t you hear what Chanyeol said earlier? He doesn’t want to go with you. He wants to stay here. So why don’t you leave before I throw you out or get the police to throw you out,” Kris threatened.

 

“Channie! See this! Are you going…?”

 

“Stop it! Byunbaek, stop it! Just go. Please don’t create a scene and just go,” Chanyeol said in a trembling voice without looking up to Baekhyun.

 

“Channie! You…I…how can…” Baekhyun was at a loss for words.

 

“Just go please,” Chanyeol begged.

 

Baekhyun stood there dumbfounded as he felt Kris’ towering and intimidating presence. He sighed, turned around and exited the shop.

 

Kris then turned around and saw that Chanyeol was on the verge of tears. He put his hand round Chanyeol’s shoulder and patted Chanyeol on his back.

 

“Hyung, I’m sorry,” Chanyeol muttered.

 

“That’s alright. It’s not your fault,” Kris comforted.

 

“I should go to the kitchen,” Chanyeol said softly.

 

Kris nodded in understanding as he let go of Chanyeol; the latter scurrying into the kitchen.

 

Kris continued to work at the shop front as he left Chanyeol to his own privacy to collect himself but at the same time Kris was concerned and he stole glances at the kitchen from time to time to check on Chanyeol.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since it's still the Christmas season, here's wishing all my readers/subscribers and all AFF users a Merry Christmas.

And thank you for all the love shown to me for my last chapter. The number of subscribers went up. Thank you so much.

I guess I have a good idea on what you guys like/dislike.

I think you guys dislike those angsty dark chapters right? 

This chapter is a little angsty, isn't it? Baekhyun is finally jealous. Does this mean he is slowly aware of his feelings for Chanyeol? Do you like Kris' character? He seems to be such a decent guy. Do you think Kris likes Chanyeol? Do you hope that Chanyeol will end up with Kris, or with Baekhyun? 

Please do kindly leave me your comments. I probably have another 20 chapters to go before this fic is completed. It is such a long one. Please comment on what couple you would like me to feature in my next fic, and the sort of story you would like. I welcome all suggestions.

And if you have yet to subscribe to this, please do subscribe to this story. 

Thanks.