Chanyeol's Answer

Heaven's Boys

 

Baekhyun sat on one of the swings at the playground with a can of beer in his hand as he kicked the ground. He took another glance at his watch and sighed. It was five minutes to nine and Baekhyun started to fret. His palms were clammy. Sehun had given a vivid description of Chanyeol’s reaction at the concert. Baekhyun had heard that Chanyeol was unmoved and was a picture of uncertainty, shock and perhaps even anger. He also learnt from Sehun that Chanyeol had left the concert in a daze. Since then, Baekhyun had tried calling Chanyeol but his mobile was turned off. It wasn’t because he was anxious to know Chanyeol’s answer – he was worried about him.  

 

Would Chanyeol not show up? Is this his punishment for not realising his feelings and confessing to Chanyeol earlier?  

 

Don’t tell me Channie had a change of heart? It can’t be Kris, can it? Channie had already rejected Kris.

 

Channie will come. Because he loves me. And because he now knows that I love him too. I’m sure he wants us to be together.

 

And as Baekhyun thought back of all the subtle hints that Chanyeol had dropped, Baekhyun began to grow frustrated with himself as he downed the remaining contents of the can, crushed it, threw it on the ground and kicked it aside.

 

Why didn’t he pick up the hints then? Was he too dense to notice or was he just unwilling to notice?

 

It doesn’t matter now. He knew that he had fouled up big time and might lose Chanyeol for good.  

 

He looked around the playground. Not a single soul was in sight. The place felt especially empty without Chanyeol around and his chatter, jokes, and laughter.

 

Sometimes they would just sit down at the playground with drinks to just talk about anything and everything – from serious topics to celebrity gossips. And when Chanyeol teased Baekhyun at times, Baekhyun would end up hitting Chanyeol, and the latter would get up and start running around the playground with Baekhyun on the chase. And when they get tired, they would just lie on the ground and just do nothing but to stare at the sky.

 

Baekhyun stole another glance as his watch. It was nine but there was still no sign of Chanyeol.

 

I guess this is it. I don’t think he would be coming after all. Serves me right. I had this coming. After all, I was the one to have pushed him away first.

 

As Baekhyun started to walk away from the playground, a tear, followed by a second fell from Baekhyun’s eyes. He quickly used his hands to dry his tears. Suddenly, he spotted a familiar tall figure approaching him. He rubbed his eyes to check that he was not hallucinating. It was Chanyeol.

 

“It’s not even nine yet, and you’re already leaving?” Chanyeol snidely remarked as approached the shorter boy. “Look, my watch reads 9.00:48.”

 

He raised his left arm and flashed his wrist with his watch on into Baekhyun’s face.   

 

“Your watch is slow,” Baekhyun countered as he showed Chanyeol his (Baekhyun’s) watch. “Mine reads 9.03:27.”

 

“So you’re looking to pick an argument with me?” Chanyeol drew.

 

“No…no…” Baekhyun stuttered. “It’s not that…”

 

“Yes, I adjusted my watch for it to be a little slower,” Chanyeol admitted. “So yes, I’m late by a minute or two.”

 

“But even though I’m like a minute or two late, yet here you are preparing to leave. You always give up so easily Byun Baekhyun. I don’t feel the sincerity, persistence and determination? I’m so disappointed in you,” Chanyeol chided with a straight face.

 

Baekhyun was alarmed by Chanyeol’s serious tone. “Channie…I’m sorry…I thought…”

 

“That I wouldn’t be coming?” Chanyeol glared accusingly. “Don’t you have confidence in me? Maybe I shouldn’t have come on. Maybe I should just go right now.”

 

Chanyeol turned around and started to walk away.

 

“I…I…”

 

Come on, Byun Baekhyun, man it up, he encouraged himself.

 

“Kajima, Park Chanyeol. Kajima!” Baekhyun burst out.

 

Chanyeol turned around with a stern expression.

 

“Shame on you Byun Baekhyun. You made me wait this long. Isn’t it only fair that I’m allowed to make you wait a few minutes in return this once?” Chanyeol teased as he broke out into a smile.

 

“So…you’re saying…”

 

“I love you Byun Baekhyun. I’ve really been waiting for this day for a long time.”

 

“And I love you too Park Chanyeol. I know I’m stupid for not realising this earlier. I’m sorry for being this late. I’m sorry for making you wait this long. I love you Park Chanyeol.”

 

The two boys embraced one another and pressed their lips on another for a deep, passionate kiss, their tongues entwining together.

 

They broke their kiss for a moment and Chanyeol probed, “What happens if I didn’t show up tonight? What would you do? Because the thought of standing you up was equally appealing to me.”

 

“I knew you would…but anyway you turned up and that is all that matters,” Baekhyun replied as he peppered Chanyeol with more kisses.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me you love me?” Baekhyun asked as he broke the kiss.

 

“You may have accepted me as a friend and brother because I’m gay, but that doesn’t mean you would reciprocate my love. Heck, I don’t even know if you’re straight, biual or gay. What happens if you don’t feel the same way as I do? Wouldn’t it be very awkward? I didn’t want to ruin what we have…”

 

And Baekhyun planted another kiss on Chanyeol’s lips.

 

“Let’s just be like appa and umma, okay? “ Baekhyun proposed. “To be together and love one another for a very long time.”

 

……

 

Earlier, Chanyeol had come to the playground after he had left the concert. He sat on the swing as he thought about Baekhyun’s earlier confession. Although the playground had a few children around, Chanyeol felt alone as he reminisced about the conversations and time he shared with Baekhyun at this place. 

 

He really wanted to accept Baekhyun, but he didn’t want to come off as being too easy. Also he was worried whether this was really what Baekhyun wanted.

 

His legs took him to Kris’ patisserie. He stopped just outside the shop unsure of whether to go in and impose his love problems on Kris whilst fully knowing that Kris likes him. Chanyeol felt ashamed and remorseful for getting Kris involved in his affairs. However, Kris spotted Chanyeol from inside the shop. He went to open the door to invite Chanyeol in.

 

“Give yourself and Baekhyun-ssi a chance,” Kris advised. “You don’t know what the future holds. There’s always a risk of getting your heart hurt. Don’t ask any questions. Love is simple. Don’t over analyse and complicate things. Just once, do what your heart tells you. Cherish this one chance, this present moment to do the right thing because there might not be a second chance.”

 

And there Chanyeol was – at the playground – he didn’t want to ask any questions nor was he seeking any answers.

 

All he wanted was to be able to love and to be loved in return by the same person. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know this update/chapter is a bit short, but I hope it gives a satisfactory answer/close to Baekyeol shippers out there. 

Personally, Kris would be a better match for Chanyeol based on his character. Baekhyun is really flawed. Oh well. 

So do you like this resolution to Baekyeol's love story?

We're inching closely to the end of this series. The last arc of the story would probably begin with the next chapter. Thanks for all the support for this fic so far. Please continue to support this pic with your comments and subscriptions. Thanks.

 

 

Do check out  and comment on my other fan fics if you have not already done so.

My other fan fics

KyuMin: Almost a love story

KyuMin: 60 Days 

It's You (너라고) Neorago (a YeWook fan-fic)