KyuMin Part V: Moving in together

Heaven's Boys

 

“Hyung!” Kyuhyun exclaimed as he saw Sungmin after stepping into Max on a late weekday afternoon. Business was a bit slow and Sungmin was working behind the barista counter when Kyuhyun walked in.

 

“Kyuhyun,” Sungmin called out in a surprised tone. It was pretty unusual for Kyuhyun to appear at his (Sungmin’s) workplace at this time of the day especially when they had no prior appointment. Sungmin noticed that Kyuhyun had brought with him a big duffel bag and he looked rather panicky.

 

“Kyuhyun-ah, what happened?”

 

“Hyung, do you have a place where I can stay for the night?”

 

“Kyuhyun-ah…I…” Sungmin hesitated.

 

“Hyung, please,” Kyuhyun pleaded.

 

“What’s wrong?”
 

“I’ve been chased out from my dorm.”

 

“What? Why?” Sungmin exclaimed in shock.

 

“I got busted for missing the curfew.”

 

Sungmin shook his head. “I don’t get it.”

 

“You know I work at a club right?”

 

Sungmin nodded.

 

“The dorm’s curfew is at midnight. And I’ve missed it a few times and got caught,” Kyuhyun sighed.

 

“Because of work?”

 

Kyuhyun nodded.

 

“I know I shouldn’t be asking this, but did you really have to work at the club?”

 

“But aren’t you working at one yourself?” Kyuhyun countered as he let out another sigh. “Well it pays well, and at least I have time in the afternoon to study. And I need the money. Hyung, do you have a place where I can put up for a few nights. I’ll try to search for a cheap room to rent within this week. Yesung and Ryeowook can’t put me up. Both of them are already squeezing into one small room together.”

 

“Well Kyuhyun-ah, you do know I have only a small room in Cassiopeia right? And it’s a club. It is noisy and only closes at about two in the morning. Will you be able to get used to it? Will the noise affect your sleep or studies in any way?”

 

Kyuhyun sighed. “Beggars can’t be choosers, right?”

 

Sungmin sighed. “Let me speak to the manager-owner first.”

 

Kyuhyun followed Sungmin to Cassiopeia later that night. Sungmin spoke with Junsu, the owner and manager of the place and explained Kyuhyun’s situation. Junsu gave a knowing smile and nod.

 

Kyuhyun entered Sungmin’s room located at the back of the club. It was a small room with barely enough room to move and walk about. It had a small attached toilet and bathroom. There was a small table and an old rickety wardrobe. The room was dimly lit and a small window allowed some fresh air and ventilation into the room. He could hear the loud thumping beats of club music from the room.

 

“Kyuhyun-ah, I’m sorry.”

 

Kyuhyun tried his best to smile. “It’s okay hyung. Thanks for your help.”

 

“Are you okay that we squeeze into one small bed?” Sungmin pointed to the single bed.

 

“I guess,” Kyuhyun gulped as he replied nervously, noticing how small the bed was.

 

“I know it’s a bit noisy out there,” Sungmin said as he rummaged through the drawer of the wardrobe and took out two small cotton balls and handed them to Kyuhyun. “So you can use these to stuff your ears if the noise gets to you when you want to study or sleep.”

 

“Gomawo.”

 

“Well, I’ve got to get to work. If you’re tired you can just go to sleep first. I won’t be sleeping until three.”

 

Kyuhyun nodded.

 

For the rest of the night, Kyuhyun was left on his own. He took out his books to revise. But the noise kind of kept him distracted and he put the cotton balls into his ears. That did help him.

 

It was soon close to midnight and Kyuhyun started yawning. He took out the cotton balls and instinctively crawled into bed.

 

He tossed and turned about in the bed. Fed up, he got up and grabbed the cotton balls which he left on the table, plugged them back into his ears and returned to bed.

 

Kyuhyun did close his eyes and sleep. But his mind wouldn’t rest. He would open his eyes now and then. It was as though he was sleeping but not really deep asleep with his mind still aware of the surroundings. He could sense Sungmin returning to the room. He could sense Sungmin studying him (Kyuhyun) and mumbling something audibly. He could sense Sungmin leaving the room and not returning since.

 

“Kyuhyun-ah, Kyuhyun-ah,” a voice called out.

 

Kyuhyun rubbed his eyes. “Mmm…”

 

“Wake up. It’s already morning. Don’t you have school?”

 

Kyuhyun sprung up immediately and came face to face with Sungmin.

 

He thought hard for a while. He then realised that Sungmin did not sleep in the room during the night.

 

“Hyung, did you sleep last night?”

 

Sungmin nodded.

 

“Where?”

 

“In the club. Just slept on the sofas.”

 

Kyuhyun felt guilty as he thought of occupying Sungmin’s bed all by himself. He asked slowly and softly, “Is that even comfortable?”

 

“It’s fine. Don’t worry about me.”

 

Despite Sungmin’s reassurances that he was fine, Kyuhyun still felt apologetic towards Sungmin and he promised that he would look for a room as soon as possible.

 

But Kyuhyun had so such luck because most of the places were off his budget and he was left feeling frustrated.

 

The same situation from the previous night replayed itself. Kyuhyun found it hard to study due to the music. He had to put the cotton into his ears. While that had certainly blocked out the noise, Kyuhyun could not overcome his own restlessness due to his own nagging feeling about not being able to find his own place to stay and Sungmin having to sleep on the hard uncomfortable sofas in the club.

 

Kyuhyun went to bed with a heavy bed and heart. He drifted in and out of sleep. When it was about two in the morning, Sungmin came into the room. Kyuhyun could hear Sungmin’s footsteps. He forced himself to get up just as Sungmin had finished showering and changed, and ready to leave the room.

 

“Hyung, don’t go,” Kyuhyun said as he gripped Sungmin by his wrist.

 

“Kyuhyun-ah,” Sungmin replied in a surprised tone. “Is there anything wrong?”

 

“You shouldn’t be sleeping out there.”

 

“But the bed here is big enough for one.”

 

“Let’s share.”

 

“But it will be a squeeze. It will be uncomfortable. You won’t be able to sleep.”

 

“But I can’t sleep like this either knowing that you’re lying on some hard sofa.”

 

“It’s not as bad as you think it is.”

 

“I don’t care,” Kyuhyun said stubbornly as he pulled Sungmin into bed. Kyuhyun rolled onto his side and backed himself into the corner of the bed.

 

Sungmin gulped and turned to his side. He could his front of his body pressing on Kyuhyun’s back. He started to feel a little flushed and his heart beating faster. He started to feel an under his shorts. 

 

Kyuhyun also felt something tightening under his shorts as his heart started to race. He could feel and hear Sungmin’s breathing. He could feel hot air blowing into his ears. He felt something hard poking him. He knew what it was, but he was shy to say anything and quickly shut his eyes, hoping his fatigue will get to him.

 

Sungmin too quickly shut his eyes in at attempt to brush that “problem” of his off.

 

They rose the next morning, clearly remembering what had just happened before they slept. But they were both too shy to talk about it. Sungmin rushed into the bathroom and shut the door behind as he released his pent up load.

 

Kyuhyun went in after Sungmin to get rid of his problem. They were both embarrassed when they found themselves face to face with one another. Finally it was Sungmin who spoke, “Let’s get a place and stay together.”

 

“What?”

 

“I said, let’s rent a room and stay together.”

 

“But you already have a place to stay. Why do you even want to spend the extra money? Aren’t you trying to save up for your dream?”

 

“Kyuhyun-ah,” Sungmin said earnestly, “Let me take care of you.”

 

Kyuhyun’s eyes widened. “But why?”

 

Sungmin kept silent.

 

“If it is on account that I had helped you before and you want to pay me back, then it isn’t necessary.”

 

“No, it’s because I truly care and I am concerned for you.”

 

“But why would you make a sacrifice for me?”

 

“You’re a friend.”

 

“Just only a friend?” Kyuhyun questioned. “If we’re just only friends, you …”

 

“You’re a special friend,” Sungmin interrupted. “Kyuhyun-ah, let me do this for you. I want to do this for you. It breaks my heart to see you looking so tired juggling your work and studies. Look at the dark rings round your eyes.”

 

Sungmin caressed Kyuhyun’s face. “Kyuhyun-ah, I just want the best for you. So don’t say a word more and just trust me.”

 

Kyuhyun could only nod his head in thanks.

 

Sungmin sat at the desk as he took out a pen and paper and scribbled some figures to work out a budget as Kyuhyun watched on gratefully.

 

“Kyuhyun-ah, I’m having a day off from Max tomorrow. We can go room hunting tomorrow. But is it alright with you that we get somewhere nearby Cassiopeia because I end work late.”

 

“I’m fine with that hyung.”

 

They viewed a few rooms the next day before deciding on a place that was about a 15 to 20 minutes walk from Cassiopeia.

 

The landlord was an old lady who was living with her children. When she learnt that the two boys were poor, she offered a little reduction on their rent which Sungmin was grateful for and thanked her profusely. Although the exterior of the building was a little old, the room was spotlessly clean. The walls were grey –bare concrete. When the windows were opened, there was enough sunlight and fresh air that was let into the room. It just had the minimal essentials, two mattresses, pillows, blankets, a cupboard and a desk. The kitchen was fully stocked with utensils and cutlery. There was enough room to move about without the possibility of knocking themselves into anything – it was much better than where Sungmin was residing at the moment. The place was perfect, it had everything and they did not buy anything more.  

 

They had to share the apartment with another tenant. He was about their age. He was out at the moment, so they missed him. Sungmin settled the lease with the landlord on the spot and they moved in shortly later.

In addition, Kyuhyun also went off collect some of his books and personal belongings from his friends which he asked them to keep for the time being. By evening the move was completed and Sungmin had to return to work at Cassiopeia.

 

It was already two in the morning when Sungmin returned to his new home. Kyuhyun was already sprawled out on the mattress and soundly asleep.

 

He would have to talk to Kyuhyun the next morning, Sungmin thought to himself.

 

“Hyung,” Sungmin heard a voice call out to him.

 

It was half-past seven in the morning.

 

“I’m going off to school,” Kyuhyun said.

 

“Kyuhyun-ah,” Sungmin mumbled as he let out a yawn. “Could you wait a while. I need to talk to you about something.”

 

“What is it?”

 

“I think you should quit your part time jobs. I’ll be able to support for you.”

 

“Hyung, I can’t let you do that. You’re already paying for the rent. I can’t let you support me. In fact, I should be contributing to the rent.”

 

“But Kyuhyun-ah, you get very tired balancing your studies with your jobs. You should concentrate on your studies. I’ll take care of you.”

 

“And who’s going to take care of you, hyung? What about your dreams? What about the café that you’re saving up for?”

 

By this time Sungmin was fully awake. “That can wait. Your education should come first.”

 

“But you’ve done so much for me, far more than what I’ve done for you before, and far more than I can repay. You’re making me feel very bad and guilty.”

 

“Well, if you feel bad, you could always loan me to start up the café when you’ve become successful and rich.”

 

“And what happens if turn out to be an ungrateful person who is just using you?”

 

“I trust that you aren’t,” Sungmin replied with an air of confidence.

 

“I could be a sneaky bastard of an ingrate.”

 

“No, you aren’t.”

 

Kyuhyun sighed. “Hyung, I don’t know if you are just kind or naïve.”

 

“Maybe a bit of both. But Kyuhyun-ah, you should really quit both jobs especially the one at the pub.”

 

“But that one pays well,” Kyuhyun protested. “Why don’t you quit yours at Cassiopeia?”

 

“I can’t. Because I like that job and it pays for the expenses.”

 

“It’s the same for me. That job at the pub pays for my daily expenses.”

 

“Why don’t you get another job that doesn’t require you to work late at night?”

 

“I’ll think about it hyung. I have to go before I get late for class.”

 

“Alright.”

 

As both Sungmin and Kyuhyun left the bedroom they bumped into their flatmate, a rather odd-looking guy with short hair. He flashed them a smile and they could see his gums.

 

“Hi, I’m Lee Hyuk Jae. Otherwise known as Eunhyuk. You must be my new flatmates?”

 

“I’m Lee Sungmin, and this is Cho Kyuhyun,” Sungmin introduced the both of them to this Eunhyuk guy. “It’s nice meeting you.”

 

“Okay, I have to go. Nice meeting you Eunhyuk-ssi. I’ll catch up with you some time,” Kyuhyun said as he quickly put on his shoes before making an exit.

 

“So are both of you related? You can’t be brothers? So I guess, friends?” Eunhyuk asked.

 

“Just friends,” Sungmin smiled awkwardly.

 

Through the conversation Sungmin had with Eunhyuk, Sungmin found out that the latter was a part time dancer who performs at events or as a back up dancer for artistes on television programmes. He was also a part time dance instructor and planned to open a dance studio to teach dance in the future. He was also Sungmin’s age. He told Sungmin that he needed so save up for two to three more years before he could afford his own dance studio.

 

……

 

Meanwhile a few months have passed since Kyuhyun and Sungmin have settled into their rented room. Kyuhyun had managed to get some paid work in school, so he quit both his part time jobs. Sungmin definitely felt much relieved. Their friendship with Eunhyuk also grew and sometimes they would go out for meals. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for taking a week to update. And yes, Eunhyuk is finally introduced to the picture. So these guys go a long way back. 

Does anyone love Sungmin in this story? So giving and sacrificing. 

Meanwhile, please be like Sungmin and shower me with your comments. I really appreciate them. And if you have yet to subscribe to this story, please do so.

 

Do check out  and comment on my other fan fics if you have not already done so.

My other fan fics

KyuMin: Almost a love story

KyuMin: 60 Days 

It's You (너라고) Neorago (a YeWook fan-fic)