When Baekhyun met Chanyeol/KrisYeol's date

Heaven's Boys

 

Baekhyun tossed and turned about in his bed. He could still remember the first day when Chanyeol first arrived at Heaven four years ago when they were both sixteen years old.

 

Finally, someone his age, or rather younger than him by just a few months, Baekhyun thought to himself. He didn’t have to be the baby of the group any longer. He felt that the rest of the boys were too mature and older than him (due to their experiences) for a playmate. 

 

He was fidgeting excitedly in the sofa when the door opened. Kyuhyun stepped in first, followed by a tall, youthful, pretty guy with big orbs and a rather creepy smile which Baekhyun found endearing. Baekhyun jumped up from his seat and rushed towards the new guy. “Annyeong haseyo. Baekhyun-imnida.”

 

And the other boy greeted him with a smile and a deep voice which surprised Baekhyun given the other’s looks, “Annyeong hasesyo. Chanyeol-imnida.”

 

Maybe it was “love at first sight” for Baekhyun, but an instinct told him that he had found his soul mate and best friend as he grabbed Chanyeol by his hand, “Come on, let me show you around and introduce you to the rest of the guys. And we can play together.”

 

And that was how their friendship started. They did things together – playing computer games, going for movies, or whether it would be Baekhyun singing and Chanyeol trying to rap or play the guitar. And both of them like to play pranks on the other and were so noisy with their laughter and antics that it irritated the older boys at times. And both of them loved food – so much so that they would go on adventures around the city to find delicious food together. And they knew each other’s likes – Baekhyun saved up money to buy Chanyeol a guitar while Chanyeol would queue in line to get tickets to Girl Generation’s performances for Baekhyun.   

 

“We would be best friends forever. We would not have any secrets between us. We would share our happiness and sadness together. We would always be there for one another. Pinky promise and stamped,” Baekhyun and Chanyeol echoed together as they intertwined their pinky fingers together and pressed their thumbs together.

 

That was about a month after Chanyeol had moved into Heaven.

 

Baekhyun had heard from the elders about Chanyeol’s traumatic experience. He was expecting Chanyeol to look rather downcast, deadbeat or depressed, but was surprised that it was a cheerful, playful teenager that greeted him instead. He never did ask Chanyeol about what happened during his confinement in church, and what happened after he met Kyuhyun on the streets. Seeing that Chanyeol appeared happy, Baekhyun did not want to upset him by bringing up his past. Whether Chanyeol was really happy or not, or was concealing the nightmares and pain within him while putting on a façade, Baekhyun felt motivated to do something. Baekhyun considered himself lucky. He may have lost his parents and became an orphan, but he was well taken care of and loved by Kyuhyun and Sungmin. As such, he wanted to bring happiness to Chanyeol. He wanted Chanyeol to smile and forget about everything bad that had ever happened to him. Despite his shorter height and puny figure, he wanted to protect the taller boy from experiencing any unpleasant experiences again. He wanted to do that forever.

 

Baekhyun flipped to his side still unable to sleep. Both of them have matured much since then. Chanyeol was truly happy now. And Kris really seemed to be this great guy that can protect Chanyeol. So why was his heart aching that much? Shouldn’t he feel happy for his best friend? After all, Chanyeol would have to leave Heaven one day to pursue his own life and dreams and Kris could be part of them.

 

I thought we would be together forever, Baekhyun thought to himself. Couldn’t we be together forever as best friends just like this, laughing and playing together, sharing one room, sharing our secrets, woes and joy? It should be like this, shouldn’t it?  

 

And it was at that moment did Baekhyun realised that Chanyeol had already grown up and heading towards adulthood. Both of them were no longer the two impetuous teenagers who clung on to one another for friendship. They are going to start their separate lives and go on to make new friends and even new best friends.

 

He has Ji-eun and a lot of other new friends. Chanyeol has Kris and a lot of other new friends. Does Chanyeol really like Kris? Does Chanyeol love Kris? If so, why does he (Baekhyun) care so much?

 

Baekhyun sighed as he thought to himself: “Park Chanyeol, have I fallen in love with you? Have I fallen in love with my best friend?”

 

……

 

“We would be best friends forever. We would not have any secrets between us. We would share our happiness and sadness together. We would always be there for one another. Pinky promise and stamped.”

 

Best friends forever. These three words were a curse to Chanyeol as he tossed and turned about in his bed, kicking at his blanket and sheets.

 

Those three words were a blessing when he first heard them one month after he came to stay in Heaven. He remembered a cute, short boy with small eyes taking his hand excitedly and dragging him off to meet the older boys at Heaven – the serious and grumpy looking leader Grandpa Gyu or Loser Gyu who always complained of fatigue and looked as though his face swallowed his eyes when he smiled. He look like an adorable hamster with his puffy cheeks. Then there was this greasy, talkative tree called Nam Woohyun, a rather diligent Kim Joon-myun and a not so bright Kim Himchan. They were all nice people but it was Baekhyun that stood out the most – his palms were so comforting and warm, and his enthusiasm and friendliness just simply endearing. He felt welcomed and safe after all he had been through during those three days in living hell. And those three words “best friends forever” were comfort to a hurting soul like him.

 

Chanyeol remembered Kyuhyun sending him to the hospital where he was warded. A police report was filed against the pastor and he was arrested. His mother went into a frenzy following that due to the loss of face, and the fact that he (Chanyeol) had just committed a most grievous and heinous sin against a man of God. She was so furious that she disowned him. But to him, he was glad that it was all over – he was glad that he did not have to go back to that God-fearing mother of his. But Chanyeol was still not at ease – he had nightmares about the beatings and exorcism – those scenes repeated in his mind every time he closed his eyes – he would wake up screaming and shouting – so much so that he would not even want to speak to anyone since. He enclosed himself in his whole word. He was put under the care of a psychologist and a psychiatrist. It took him a while just for him to be able to sleep without having nightmares. Subsequently, he was discharged from the hospital and a kind soul by the name of Kim Ryeowook, a friend of Kyuhyun, took him in until the day he moved over to Heaven.

 

Baekhyun never asked Chanyeol about what happened, but Chanyeol was aware that Baekhyun knew and maybe he was being all this nice out of sympathy towards Chanyeol. But both of them just seemed to click with one another – they were both fun-loving – and this helped Chanyeol return to his normal happy self before the incident.

 

Chanyeol also discovered Baekhyun’s talent in singing. And when Baekhyun found out that Chanyeol could play the guitar, he used his savings to buy Chanyeol a guitar as an advance birthday present. They even selected the pick which Chanyeol uses to strum the guitar. Right now, the pick had become a necklace that Chanyeol wears everyday.

 

Maybe he should have been contented with his lot. Maybe he shouldn’t have been too greedy to ask for more but as time went by, and spending a lot of time with Baekhyun together, Chanyeol desired more. Several times, Baekhyun would walk into their shared room topless. He may not have a perfect toned body and lines, but the slim and petit looking Baekhyun was certainly attractive. Slowly, he stopped to see Baekhyun as just a boy and playmate but as something more – a man. And that is when Chanyeol’s misery started as Baekhyun does not seem to understand that he (Chanyeol) is in love with him.

 

Chanyeol tried his best to get his brain to shut down, but he just couldn’t as he recollected and regretted what he had said to Kris earlier.

 

“Kris hyung, let’s just date,” Chanyeol said.

 

Chanyeol did not even mean it as a question for Kris or asking Kris for permission. He meant it as a statement, as an order, and knowing Kris’ feelings for him; he knew he would get his way.

 

“Chanyeol,” Kris asked seriously, “You’re not drunk, are you? You know that’s not possible. You already have someone in your heart.”

 

“Let’s just date. Screw him!” Chanyeol laughed.

 

“You’re only doing this to spite yourself. What’s the point? I won’t agree to this. I don’t want to take advantage of you in this situation. Neither do I want to be a spare tyre,” Kris reasoned with a look of concern in his eyes.

 

“But you said you would help me,” Chanyeol whined. “He doesn’t give a damn about it. Let’s make this real. Let’s take this to the very end,” Chanyeol said bitterly.

 

“I can’t Chanyeol. I’m sorry. I’m really sorry for coming up with this bad idea of making Baekhyun-ssi jealous. I’ve clearly overestimated both myself and Baekhyun-ssi,” Kris said apologetically as he moved away from the bar counter.

 

“You’re a bastard Kris Wu!” Chanyeol cried out. “Now that your bright idea has fallen through, you’re leaving me in the lurch. You’re a bastard. You’re a bastard. And you said you like me. I hate you.”

 

Kris turned to face Chanyeol with an agonised look. Chanyeol was nearly on the verge on tears. As tears streamed down Chanyeol’s eyes, he pleaded softly, “If you leave me like this, I don’t know if I have anyone to turn to. So please, let’s go out on one date. Just one date.”

 

Kris sighed and nodded his head.

 

……

 

And so Kris and Chanyeol had their date one week later. Kris picked Chanyeol up from his college and they headed out on a date together. Chanyeol wanted to go an arcade to play games and Kris went along with Chanyeol.

 

Both of them tried out a dancing game together which they failed miserably at. But both of them didn’t care and they laughed at the other’s failure and clumsiness. They caught a movie together and Chanyeol held Kris’ hand and snuggled close to Kris in the hall. Kris felt really warm and safe.

 

Then they had dinner.

 

Chanyeol was poking at his food listlessly lost in thought. Kris only leaned forward with his fork and knife to cut the steak into smaller pieces up for Chanyeol.

 

“Come on Chanyeol, eat up. Don’t just space out during dinner,” Kris cajoled with a smile, as he poked a piece of meat with his fork and waved it in front of Chanyeol.

 

“I’m sorry. I’m just a little tired and thinking about some assignment,” Chanyeol apologised sheepishly.

 

“That’s alright. You should just eat up,” Kris replied as he placed his fork nearer to Chanyeol’s mouth. “Eat up fast and you could go home to rest.”

 

“No…no…” Chanyeol replied. “I’m fine. Don’t worry. I’m not that tired.”

 

Chanyeol quickly took a bite out of Kris’ fork. “It’s delicious. Thank you for bringing me to this place”

 

Chanyeol smiled at Kris and started attacking his dinner with gusto.

 

“Chanyeol-ah,” Kris voiced out with a concerned tone.

 

“This dinner is really good. Let’s just order a dessert to share,” Chanyeol beamed.

 

And they ended off their date just by sitting down at a park and enjoying the night breeze. Kris sat up as Chanyeol rested his head on Kris’ lap.

 

“Thank you Kris hyung. I had a wonderful date.”

 

“I’ll like to thank you too for giving me this chance,” Kris replied earnestly.

 

“I know it was really bothersome for you. I’m sorry Kris hyung.”

 

“Don’t say that.”

 

“I made use of you knowingly and you went along with my childishness. I really don’t know how to thank you enough.”

 

“I guess I’m a fool.”

 

“You’re not. You’re nice and gentlemanly. I wish I could just fall in love with you right this instant, but I can’t. I’m sorry.”

 

“I know that,” Kris replied as he ruffled Chanyeol’s hair, “And I’m not asking anything more from you though I secretly wish you would get over him and start to fall for me.”

 

Chanyeol did not respond to Kris’ comments.

 

“But Chanyeol, why haven’t you confessed to Baekhyun-ssi that you’re in love with him? The Chanyeol I know is outspoken and brave. So why haven’t you told Baekhyun direct in his face that you love him?” Kris wondered aloud.

 

“I’m scared of rejection,” Chanyeol murmured after a long silence. “It’s not about him not being able to accept that I’m gay…and that I love him or whether he’s gay, straight or whatever. But what happens if he doesn’t feel the same way as I do? Things might get awkward. We wouldn’t be able to pretend that the confession never happened. Our dynamic might become different. We might not be able to be as close as before. I don’t want to lose a good friend. So I dropped him hints, hoping that he would catch on and make the first move.”    

 

Kris did not utter a word as he continued to mess Chanyeol’s hair. He understood and empathised with Chanyeol’s predicament and did not want to press on further. All Kris could do now is to provide a listening ear and a pillar support for Chanyeol.

 

……

 

It was midnight when Chanyeol and Kris finally reached the doorstep of Heaven.

 

“Well the date is finally over. The magic has worn off. Chanyeol-rella has to return home and Kris Charming has to return to the reality of his humble bakery,” Kris teased.

 

Chanyeol flashed his usual creepy smile at Kris. “Thank you once again, Kris hyung.” 

 

And Chanyeol did something rather unexpected. He leaned forward and kissed Kris of his lips. Kris was caught off guard by the sudden gesture that he did not know how to respond. But Chanyeol continued to linger his lips on Kris’ that finally Kris finally gave way and permitted Chanyeol entrance as both their tongues entwined, sharing a long, deep and passionate kiss.

 

It was a while before they finally broke their kiss unaware that a heartbroken boy was watching from the distance from a kiss that Kris and Chanyeol had just shared. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once again, thanks to all my readers, subscribers, commenters for sticking by this story especially for the last two chapters. Thanks for all the encouragement and support *bows*. 

I know one reader had asked this question of why Chanyeol didn't confess to Baekhyun. I hope this chapter would explain it.

This chapter is probably as far as the KrisYeol moments would go. But I so like Kris so much that I can't help but thinking maybe Chanyeol would be better off with Kris. 

Please continue to leave your comments. And if you have yet to subscribe, please subscribe it. I would be grateful if you upvote this story too.

And have a great week ahead. 

 

Do check out  and comment on my other fan fics if you have not already done so.

My other fan fics

KyuMin: Almost a love story

KyuMin: 60 Days 

It's You (너라고) Neorago (a YeWook fan-fic)