Chapter 02

Can you protect Everyone?

Jonghyun POV

I checked the time on my watch.  5:30.  Damn, Taemin’s going to be wondering why I’m so late, I thought.  Suddenly I heard screaming in the distance.  I was already late as it was, but I couldn’t just walk away.  I saw a girl trying to run away from someone.  I immediately realized it was Duk Ki.  Duk Ki always had a problem with being drunk and harassed girls whenever he saw them.  Sure he never did anything too bad, but still he did enough to become a problem.  Duk Ki and I were never on good terms.  Mortal enemies, you can say even.  I saw him trying to slap the girl, but I ran even faster and caught his arm just in time.  The girl opened her eyes to see what had happened.  No……way…..it’s……Before I could even continue my train of thought, Duk Ki interrupted.

“So, Kim Jonghyun, trying to be a hero as always.  Why don’t you run along and I’ll take care of this.”  Duk Ki said drunkenly.  I smirked.  I sensed that he was ready for a fight, but in his druken state, I knew that it would be easy to win.  He threw the first punch, but I neatly dodged it. 

“Duk Ki hyung, shouldn’t you just go home now.  If you want a good fight, come back when you’re sober,” I said sarcastically.  This angered him and he threw another punch, but again missed.  His group of buddies joined in the fight and circled around me leaving me somewhat vulnerable in the middle.  In the end, I came out fairly beat up, but the winner nonetheless.  Don’t get me wrong, these guys were strong, but not so smart.  Me on the other hand was both.  I walked….um…stumbled….toward the girl. 

“Yah!  You’re such a babo, couldn’t you have just walked away?” 

“What, and leave you defenseless……Jung Sooyeon?” I retorted, calling her by her name.

“I was doing fine without you.  And by the way, my name is Jung Jessica, not Sooyeon.  Get it right Jonghyun.”  I grinned like an idiot when she said my name, ecstatic over the fact that she still remembered me.

“Whether you’re Sooyeon or Jessica, you’re still my best friend.”  She walked over to me, smiling.  I thought she was going to hug me or say something about how good it was to see me again, but then that wouldn’t be the way Sooyeon works.  Instead, she hit my arm, and it hurt….alot.  Then she just turned and left.

“Yah, that hurt,” I said as I ran to catch up with her. 

“Look, thanks for helping me and all, but as you can see, I’m not in danger anymore, so you can leave.”

 

Jessica POV

I couldn’t believe who it was.  It was Kim Jonghyun, my best friend from when I was little.  I couldn’t describe how happy I was, but I quickly tried to suppress my happiness.  I knew that I shouldn’t get too attached or else it might put me in the same situation as…..before.  I quickly turned around and left, but I could hear him following me.  I turned around to face him.

“Look, I’m already late as it is.  I should be home by now.  So…bye.”  But Jonghyun, being the way he is, wouldn’t give up that easily. 

“Come on, Sooyeon.”  I gave him a glare and he quickly backtracked on his words.

“I mean Jessica.  Because I was saving you, I am now late too.” 

“Well, what do you want me to do about it?” I retorted.  He pretended to think about this question, until he finally came up with his answer. 

“Buy me chicken.”  I looked at him as if he was crazy. 

“Chicken?  You want chicken?”  I was thinking about just turning around and leaving him, but he did have a point.  As much as I hated to admit it, if he hadn’t been there, who knows what would have happened to me?

“Fine,” I said simply before I turned around began walking.

“Um, Jessica?  The chicken shop is the other way.”  I blushed with embarrassment.

“Right, of course it is,” I replied, slightly flustered.  I glanced at Jonghyun to see him grinning like a fool over my mistake.

“Mong-Sica,” he said, calling me by my old nickname.  I discreetly smiled so that he wouldn’t see how much I was screaming with happiness inside.