Chapter 08

Can you protect Everyone?

Jessica's POV

I pacing in the waiting room, waiting the doctor to come out with news on Jonghyun and Taemin.  Ahjusshi was sitting on the chairs, calmly reading a newspaper.  I sat down next to him.

“Ahjusshi, are you going to tell umma?”  His head peeked out from behind the newspapers and smiled at me. 

“Well, if I did, I would probably lose my job, right Sica-yah?”  I gratefully hugged him.  He was the one person that I could really trust in my family.  Time passed rather slowly.  10:00….11:00….12:00…  I finnaly got myself out of the chair.  It was already noon and I was starting to get hungry.  Ahjusshi had left at 9:30 so my mother wouldn’t get suspicious of where I was.  Just as I was making my way out of the waiting room, I saw the doctor that was in charge of Taemin and Jonghyun.  I immediately rushed over to him.

“Doctor, what happened are they both okay?”  the words spilled out of my mouth before I could stop myself.  He smiled good-naturedly at my flusteredness. 

“Not to worry Ms. Jung.  Both Jonghyun-shi and Taemin are in stable condition.  Jonghyun-shi has 2 broken ribs, several bruises and cuts, from which I suspect to be from gang fights.  I woudn’t be surprised considering where he lives.  However, i would recommend that Taemin would get further testing at St. Mary’s Hospital in Seoul.”  I looked at the doctor confused. 

“But. St. Mary’s Hospital is a cancer treatment hospital.  Why would Taemin need to go there?” 

“Well, it is not likely that Taemin has cancer, but he has been showing the signs for the early stages of leukemia.  Also, his mother had passed away due to leukemia so it increases the chances of Taemin being more vulnerable to it.”  Cancer…Taemin has cancer?  Does Jonghyun no about this?

“How much will the visit to St. Mary’s cost, doctor?”  He shook his head.

“It’s a donation based hospital, so Jonghyun wouldn’t have to worry about the cost.  Now if you don’t mind I have other patients to attend to.  Jonghyun is in room 211 and Taemin is in 322.  Feel free to go in and see them.  Visiting hours are untill 6:30. I believe they are both asleep, so I wouldn’t recommend waking them.”  With that said, he walked off.  As I made my way down to Taemin’s room (Jonghyun would have wanted me to take care of his brother first), I couldn’t help but think, why would te doctor say that Jonghyun wouldn’t have to worry about the money and not his father?  And when did Jonghyun’s mother pass away from cancer?  She was perfectly healthy when I last saw her.  Room 322….Oh, here it is. 

I was first taken aback at the sight of Taemin hooked up all to the wires.  I slowly walked up to his bed, careful not to wake him up.  Taemin looked so peaceful sleeping, not knowing what hardships lay ahead for him when he woke up.  Yea, the doctor said that it might be nothing, but when they say that, it’s always because they have a reason.  After seeing Taemin and making sure that he was comfortable, I made my way to Jonghyun’s room.  Just like I expected, Jonghyun was sleeping.  I carefully made my way over to his sleeping figure.  I smiled at the innocence on his face, free from all worries, unlike this morning.  I gently pushed his bangs out of his eyes.  I took a seat next to him and slowly my eyes began to close.  With the events of this morning, I was exhausted and before I knew it, I was sound asleep.   

Author's Note - sorry for such short updates you guys, i have one last midterm tomorrow.  after that i promise to have a nice long update for everyone!! ;)