Chapter 20

Can you protect Everyone?

Jonghyun POV

I opened my eyes only to be greeted by a sharp pain in my side.  How is it that every time I’m trying to just be normal around Sooyeon, I’m always injured or something?!  I sighed.  I gingerly brought my legs over to one side of the bed and got myself into a sitting position.  My side throbbed painfully, but I held my breath and gritted my teeth until the pain had subsided somewhat. 
 
“Jonghyun,” I heard Sica say, looking very flustered.  She was immediately by my side, gently removing my hand from my hand from my side.  She gasped.
 
“Jonghyun-ah, you’re bleeding again.  Hold on, let me go get the gauze.  She rushed out the room and immediately came back with the gauze in her hand. 
 
“It might sting a little, okay?” she warned.  I gave her a weak nod.  She carefully began to peel the gauze off of my cut.  I hissed and winced as a rush of cool air washed over my open gash. 
 
“I’m sorry.”  I wanted to tell her it was okay, but no words would come out at that moment.  She then began to wrap the gauze back around my wound.
 
“Just lie back down and stay there, alright Jonghyun?  Doctor’s orders.”  She pushed me back onto the bed.  I let myself be comforted by her and did as she said. 
 
“Jonghyun-ah, are you alright?  You scared me before,” she said in a whimpering voice.  Without any words, I grabbed her wrist and pulled her into my embrace.  I ran my hand through her hair, trying to provide comfort.
 
“I’m fine Sooyeon-ah, I’m fine.  And I’m sorry that I scared you earlier,” I whispered in her ear.
 
“Jonghyun-ah, can I ask you something?” she questioned.  I nodded my head. 
 
“What happened back at the hospital?  I mean how did--”. 
 
“I honestly don’t know.  As soon as you left, someone came in a just started to attack me.  I tried to fight them off, but there were so many of them.  By the way, your room is kind of messed up,” I said apologetically.
 
“Are you really talking about that right now? She asked in an annoyed voice.  I smirked at her. 
 
“Well anyways……there was also something that was really weird.  Even though the people started to attack me, the hospital staff and everyone else acted as if nothing ever happened,” I said in a confused voice.  She was also confused.  If someone else happened to be watching our conversation that probably would have laughed at our confused faces.  My face was scrunched up, while Sica was mong~~~~~
 
“Well, we’ll find out soon enough.  Just get some rest,” she said in a comforting whisper.  I closed my eyes as I fell into the endless darkness of sleep. 
 
 

 Jessica POV

As soon as I saw he fell asleep, I quietly exited the room.  As I headed to the kitchen to get some food, I saw my mom conversing intensely with one of her guards.  I thought quickly and hid behind the wall, just out of her sight. 
 
“How did they get through security?” my mom whispered in a pissed tone.  The guard shook his head, not knowing what to say.  My mom huffed in exasperation. 
 
“Don’t let it happen again.  Also, don’t forget the drop-off.  Make sure that they know not to do it again,” she ordered.  He nodded in understanding.  She waved her hand signaling that he was free to leave.  I took that as my cue for my entrance. 
 
“Hi Mom,” I tried to say as casually as possible.  She nodded her head to acknowledge my presence. 
 
“Um, I really think that Jong needs to go to the hospital mom, but why won’t you let him?  What’s going on mom?  Please tell me?” I pleaded.  She shook her head.
 
“I have my reasons Sooyeon, don’t question me.  Besides, Dr. Kim has already promised to come every three hours to check on Jonghyun,” she said in an exhausted voice. 
 
“Mom, please.  I need to know so I can help you,” I said in a soft whisper.  She began to talk with her back to me.
 
“When your father passed, it wasn’t due to a car accident,” she stated.
 
“What?” I said, shocked.  I didn’t understand.  Why would she lie to me about something like that?
 
“Yes your father is the most powerful man in Asia, but his power does not only extend to high end businesses.  He’s also well known among the street network.”  I blinked my eyes, trying my best to take in all this information.  My father was the head of gangs?
 
“So he was associated with gangs?”  I asked, not believing what she was saying.  I saw her nod slowly.
 
“How do you think he was able to get the information he need?  It wasn’t because of his rich connections; it was because he used other people that other colleagues don’t think about using.”  I nodded my head, slowly beginning to comprehend what she was saying.
 
“So you’re saying that appa was somewhat in charge of the gangs in Seoul?” 
 
“Not just in Seoul, but in Japan, Taiwan, Thailand, Hong Kong.”  Damn.  My father was farther extended than I thought.  Maybe that’s why they used to go on business trips and left me at home.  To protect me. 
 
“The reason why we had that incident was because they breached a contract last week, and your father was very angry.  He threatened to ruin their business if they ever pulled something like that again.  But the day before your father died, they were angry as well and decided to get revenge.  Now, they think that they have the Jung family wrapped around their finger,” my mother said in a seething voice.  I still didn’t understand what was going on, but there was one question that wasn’t answered.
 
“But, why did they need Jonghyun?” 
 
 
“Because……the head of the gang who decided revenge is Jonghyun’s father.”