Chapter 11

Can you protect Everyone?

Jonghyun POV

 
As the hours passed, it was almost 12:30 at night.  Taemin had already fallen fast asleep.  What a rough day.  I ruffled Taemin’s hair affectionately.  I sighed.  So much laid ahead of us, yet this is only the beginning.  I walked over to where Sooyeon, I mean Jessica, was sleeping peacefully.  She had told me that she needed to be home by 12:30.  I carefully poked her. 
 
“Jessica,” I whispered.  Her eyes fluttered gently before going back to sleep.
 
“Sica-yah, you have to wake up,” I said, while poking her again.  She slapped my hand away in annoyance.  I decided to bring out the big guns.
 
“Sica, if you don’t wake up, I’m going to bring cucumbers,” I teased.  Sica immediately opened her eyes and jumped out of the chair.  I snickered quietly as to not wake Taemin, but it was hard.  Her expression was HILARIOUS!  Once Sica caught on that the threat was not true, she glared at me in annoyance.
 
“Aish, Kim Jonghyun, I am going to kill you!” she screamed/whispered. 
 
“Damn it, Ahjusshi will be here in like 2 minutes,” she panicked.  I automatically handed her her coat and her scarf.  She looked surprised.
 
“Thanks for taking care of us Sooyeon-ah.  I really mean it,” I said as sincerely as possible.  She smiled in response.
 
“It was nothing,” she responded shyly.  I don’t know why I did it, but before I knew it, I gave her a swift peck on the cheek. 
 
“Thanks again.”  She began to blush furiously. 
 
“Kim Jonghyun, why can’t you be like normal people and just end with thank you?” she responded thoroughly annoyed, but I knew she liked it.  I mean, how could anyone resist the great and awesome Kim Jonghyun?  She scoffed at me before making her way out the door, but not before turning around and saying,
 
“I’ll be back tomorrow.  Besides you’ll need someone to take you to St. Mary’s, so I’ll be here.  Get some rest alright Jonghyun.”  With that said she slipped out the door.  I gingerly sat down on the chair that Sooyeon was sleeping in.  I began to think about what happened today.  Taemin being sick and having cancer, meeting Sooyeon again… I wished that Sooyeon could have stayed the night… I felt my eyelids grow heavy and before I could go back to my room, I fell asleep on that chair. 
 
The next day
 
 “Yah, Kim Jonghyun, wake up.”  I groaned.  My whole body was sore from sleeping in the small chair.  Not a smart idea Jonghyun.  I opened my eyes to see Sica wearing jeans, a warm jacket, and a thick wool scarf.
 
“Are we going somewhere?”  I muttered.  I looked over to see Taemin already dressed.
 
“We’re going to St. Mary’s, remember?”  Damn, that was today?  I tried to get out of the chair, but a sharp pain tore my side.  I painfully clutched my side and ended up huddling over in pain.  Sica immediately ran over and helped me to stand up.  So much for being the ice princess right?  She carefully wrapped my arm around her shoulder and she supported by back with her hands.  Don’t ask me why, but as I watched her hold my arm as if it was going to break any moment, I felt carefree for once in my life.  We left Taemin playing video games in his room, while Sica took me back to mine.  She gingerly laid me back down.
 
“Jonghyun-ah, maybe you should stay here.  I’m fine with being able to take Taemin by myself.”  I shook my head in disagreement.
 
“I’m going no matter what you say.”  She sighed.  Once I set my mind on something, I never change it.  She left to go get Taemin, while I got dressed to get ready to go out.  Soon we were all in her car as we drove to St. Mary’s.
 
Jessica POV
 
The car ride to St. mAry’s would have been silent if it were not for Taemin animatedly talking about how great it was to be finally Pokemon master and how he had learned a bunch of new tricks to teach his pokemon.  Jonghyun and I pretended to be listening, but I knew that both of us were worried about the diagnosis. 
 
As we pulled into the parking lot, I saw that Jonghyun was tense.  We both walked into the hospital with heavy hearts while Taemin hid behind us.  He claimed that the hospital was too big and scary.  You have no idea kid….We checked in under the name Lee Taemin and went through a bunch of paperwork.  We probably waited about two hours before a doctor came and told us that he would see us now.  The three of us went in together.  As we sat down, the doctor immediately recognized me.  .  I realized that it was our family physician, Dr. Kim. 
 
“Ms. Jung, what are you doing here?” he asked curiously. 
 
“Just helping out a friend.  Um…it would be better if you did not mention this to Mrs. Jung if you will,” I said forcefully.  He nodded and I knew he would keep the promise.  Dr. Kim was a man of his word. 
 
“Well, looks like Taemin here will just go through some checkups to rule out any ridiculous possibilities,” he said brightly.  This was not good.  When a doctor pretends to be all happy, that always means something is serious. 
 
“Um…Dr. Kim, how long will these test take?” Jonghyun questioned. 
 
“About two to three hours.”  Taemin looked frightened.  I saw Jonghyun grab his hand reassuringly and Taemin immediately calmed down.  We took Taemin into his hospital room and waited with him for about an hour. 
 
“Noona, I want ice cream,” he whined.  I went out to ask the doctor if Taemin could have ice cream and with his confirmation, I went to wake up Jonghyun.  Seriously, this boy sleeps a lot. 
 
“Jonghyun-ah, Taemin wants ice cream.  Doc says that there’s a store downstairs where we can get it.”  He grumbled sleepily. 
 
“Noona, I want a melon bar.  Hurry!” he complained.  I glared at Taemin and he immediately said sorry.  I was tired and so not in a good mood.  Jonghyun and I walked downstairs, half-asleep, to buy the ice cream.  We got Taemin a melon bar, I got double double (Korean strawberry and apple ice cream), and Jonghyun got duweesanyang (Korean coffee slushie ice cream).  We immediately opened out ice cream and began to eat it.
 
“Sica-yah, do you want some?” he asked, offering some of his ice cream.  I hesitantly took a small bite.  Suddenly, he snickered. 
 
“Yah, babo-yah, you got it on your nose,” he said while wiping it off with his finger.
 
“Kim Jonghyun, I told you not to touch me!” I said angrily.  He just laughed, so I decided to take revenge.
 
“Hey, Jonghyun-ah, do you want some of my ice cream,” I asked innocently.  He stared at me suspiciously, but took a bite anyway.  While he was getting closer to the ice cream, I smashed it into his face.
 
“YAH!” I doubled over laughing.  There was ice cream all over his face.  Before he could catch me, I ran up the stairs.
 
“AHA, YOU'RE A SLOWPOKE! CATCH ME IF YOU CAN!” I stuck my tongue out at his as I sprinted up the stairs. 
 
“YOU ARE IN SO MUCH TROUBLE WHEN I CATCH YOU!”  I heard Jonghyun’s footsteps become faster.  The entrance to the hospital was right in front of me.  So close!  Just as the automatic doors started to slide open, I was pulled back.  Jonghyun wrapped his arms tightly around me and without realizing it, I hugged him back.  For once, I was completely happy and wanted this moment to last forever.  I never wnated him to pull away, but I could feel his hands receding.  
 
SUBSCRIBE OR COMMENT!