Chapter 25

Can you protect Everyone?

Jessica POV

 
I made sure that my mom left before I took Taemin and Jonghyun into the kitchen.  I didn’t want a confrontation with her right now.  Honestly speaking, I didn’t know what I was thinking when I told Jonghyun that I would be cooking…..and with Taemin, too….the little brat.  When the cooks found out what I was trying to do, the only thing they told me was that they have a fire extinguisher just in case, and to call them if I need to use it.  Seriously??  I know I’m not the best cook, but I would not burn the house down….hopefully….
 
“Taemin-ah, let’s go to the kitchen.”  He obediently followed me, obviously excited at the prospect of this.  Jonghyun laid on the couch, watching me with a smirk.  I stuck my tongue out at him.  I would show him my hidden NINJA skills.  I took out the eggs, vegetables, frying pan, toast, soup mix, and bacon.  Taemin stood out on the side, eyeing me warily.  I heated the frying pan and began to crack the eggs.  I was doing well until Taemin shouted.
 
“NOONA WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO DO?”  His voice scared the….out of me so bad that it crushed my concentration and I dropped the whole freakin eggshell into the pan.
 
“YAH!” I yelled back.  In the distance I could hear Jonghyun doubling over with laughter.  For a guy who broke his ribs, he sure seems fine enough to laugh at my failure.  Before the eggshell became part of the egg I quickly tried to take it out.  I managed to take out the big parts, but the little shards were impossible.  Oh well, if Jonghyun gets crunchy scrambled eggs, it would serve him right.  I cracked another egg into a plate and quickly whisked it.
 
“Taemin-ah, dip the bread into the egg mixture on both sides, and then sprinkle cinnamon onto one side of it okay?”
 
“So mixture first, then cinnamon noona?”  I nodded my head.  Looks like this breakfast might be manageable afterall.
 
“Oops.  NOONA!”…….fml………I turn over to Taemin and saw that the cap of the cinnamon bottle had come off and the entire 8 oz. cinnamon bottle was in an entire mountain on top of one slice of bread.  Taemin turned to me with a awkward smile.
 
“My bad noona.”  I took a deep breath, trying to steady myself.  I calmly walked over to him and put most of the cinnamon back into the bottle. 
 
“Why don’t you sit in the corner until I ask for your help,” I managed to say through my teeth. 
 
“BUT NOONA I WAN-“  I shot him a look and he scurried over to the corner.  I managed to make the French toast and finish the omelet without much problem and it looked edible….it actually looked good.  Now that most of the work was finished I decided that it would be safe to allow Taemin back into the cooking process.
 
“Taemin-ah, could you bring over the soup mix?”  He nodded excitedly.  He dawdled carefully, holding the package of soup mix in his hand as if it were some breakable glass…….which I’m glad it’s not……
After I poured the mix into the water, I turned my back to get the mixer, I heard some weird sound.
 
“Hey noona, I think I found the mixer.  How do you turn this thing o-“  Then there was WHIRR NOONA!  TURN THIS OFF! JONGHYUN LAUGHING. TAEMIN-AH I’M GOING TO KILL YOU!  All happening at once.  I managed to go over to Taemin and turn off the mixer.  Within the 15 milliseconds that I turned my back, Taemin was able to make all the soup mix that was in the pan, onto to the floor.  I sighed.  There was just no hope.  I raised my hand to brush off all the soup mix from his hair, but Taemin flinched, as if I was going to hit him.  But once he realized that I was just taking care of him, he wrapped his small arms around me.  I couldn’t help but smile.  Was there a time where I was this innocent too?  I don’t think so.   
 
“Taemin-ah, let’s go set the table.”  Eventually, the final product consisted of a vegetable omelet, bacon, French toast, and orange juice.  I felt pretty proud of myself. 
 
“Sooyeon-ah,” Jonghyun called out, holding his arms, waiting for me to help him over to the dining table.  Seriously, these Kims, think that I’m their servant.  But still, I went over and helped Jonghyun to the table.  I could see him wincing with every step he took, but I didn’t say anything, knowing that Jong wouldn’t want Taemin to worry.  Jonghyun eyed the food warily. 
 
“Eat it.” I said.  He looked at me with a scrunched face.  He carefully took a bite of the omelet and is face immediately scrunched again.
 
“It’s salty,” he stated.  Before I could say anything, Taemin spoke.
 
“Why hyung?  I think it’s really good,” he said, shoving his face with the omelet and the bacon.  Jonghyun and I both laughed and I sat down and ate the breakfast.  By the way, it wasn’t really salty…..I think……Anyway, I thought breakfast was a success…..lol
 
After eating, Taemin and I went back into the kitchen to clean up the….mess….as soon as I walked in, it looked as a bomb landed in the kitchen.  Soup mix was on the walls, the smell of cinnamon was so strong, it hurt my nose, there were several pans out everywhere, eggshells, egg yolk were on the floor and the counter…..This was going to take forever.  Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Taemin slowly backing away, out of the kitchen.
 
“Wow noona, there’s a lot to clean….” He said, his voice getting smaller and smaller before he decided to make a run for it.  Luckily, I managed to catch him in time before he ran off.
 
“NO NOONA!!  PLEASE!!!  TIME TO USE MY INVISIBILITY.  NOW YOU CAN’T SEE ME NOONA,” he strained against me, but I had his shirt clutched tightly in my hand.  I rolled my eyes at his comment about invisibility.  Honest to God, Taemin is just like Jonghyun except worse.  Not that I didn’t love them both, just I loved Jonghyun more….shhh…my little secret.