Chapter 13

Can you protect Everyone?

 

Jessica POV
 
Tick, tock, tick, tock…. The clock ticked back and forth and it was driving me crazy.  Taemin had already fallen asleep from the stress, Jonghyun was being carefully monitored by the nurses.  Nobody would tell me what was wrong, yet.  UGHHH!  I hated being left in the dark.  I glanced at Taemin.  He was already deep in sleep.  Well..it was 12:42 and I was starving.  There was a ddukbokki stand right across from the hospital.  It would only take 30 minutes.  I quietly grabbed my jacket and stepped out of the door.
 
The cold breeze enveloped me as I stepped out of the hospital.  I hungrily ran over to the ddukbokki stand, eager to eat. 
 
“Ahjummoni, can I have 30,000 won worth of ddukbokki and udong to go please?”  Ahjummoni gave me several boxes filled with ddukbokki and udong.  It smelled SOOOOO good!
 
“Kamsahamnida!” I said and hurriedly rushed over back to the hospital.  As I made my way into Taemin’s room, Dr. Kim stopped me.
 
“Ms. Jung, you are not able to bring food from the outside and give it to a patient.”
 
“Why, would Taemin get sick from eating ddukbokki?” I challenged.  The doctor looked slightly flustered.
 
“Well, there would be nothing wrong with Taemin eating ddukbokki, but-” I cut him off and handed him a small box filled with ddukbokki. 
 
“Enjoy yourself doctor,” I said happily before making my way into Taemin’s room.  Taemin was already awake and playing video games. 
 
“Taemin-ah, I brought you ddukbokki!”  There was no response.  Silent treatment eh?  Well, two can play at that game. 
 
“Well, suit yourself.”  I positioned myself right next to Taemin so that he would be able to see all the ddukbokki.  As I opened up the boxes, I could see Taemin staring longingly at it.  As soon as he caught my eye, he pretended that he was playing his video games.  Hmph.  I went back to eating my ddukbokki and Taemin went back to staring at it.  This went on for about ten minutes before Taeminfinally caved.
 
“Noona, can I have one?”  I didn’t respond.
 
“Aing, noona, please?” he said, his voice full of aegyo.  He tugged on my sleeve, but I still didn’t respond.
 
“Noona, PLEASE!” he said, now resorting to whining.  I just turned my head away.  This was fun! Keke.  I am so weird.  Suddenly, it became silent, and I saw Taemin crying.  Oh , maybe I went too far.
 
“Taemin-ah, here, have some ddukbokki.” I carefully fed him the ddukbokki trying not to spill anything.  Taemin turned and gave me a guilty smile and I finally put it together.  This kid tricked me!
 
“Yah!  Are you playing around with your noona?”  Taemin burst out laughing.
 
“Noona I’m sorry, don’t kill me please!” he yelled playfully. 
 
“Aish!  Come here!”  Taemin pretended to run away while on his hospital bed, but wasn’t so successful.  I doubled over laughing at the image of Taemin furiously flailing his arms, trying to move the entire hospital bed. 
 
“Oh, Taemin,” I said between by bursts of laughter.  I wiped away the tears as we both calmed down to eat the ddukbokki.
 
30 minutes later
 
“Taemin-ah, I’ll be back alright.”  He nodded, but I knew that he was too busy eating ddukbokki and playing his videogames at the same time.  I grabbed the remaining two boxes and headed over to Jonghyun’s room. 
 
“Jonghyun-ah?” I said softly while opening the door to his room.  There was no response.  I looked at Jonghyun.  His hair was messed up as if he ran his hand through it several times and his face was pale.  I quietly took the seat next to him.  The doctor did say that Jonghyun strained himself too much and with the severity of the injuries, he probably made it worse by moving around like a crazy person. 
 
“Hey Jonghyun, I brought some ddukbokki.”  Jonghyun turned his face from me. 
 
“Yah, Kim Jonghyun, you can’t be like this.”  He abruptly turned his face around.  He painfully tried to sit up.  I tried to help him, but he brushed my hand away. 
 
“In case you haven’t noticed, I have every single right to be whatever I want.  Taemin’s diagnosed with freakin cancer and now he won’t even talk to me.  I can’t even do anything to help and-” he voice shook on the last word. 
 
“Kim Jonghyun, listen to me.  You are not doing this by yourself.  Alright?  You have me okay?”  I opened the ddukbokki box and held it in front of him to feed him.
 
“Ahhh,” I coaxed, but he stubbornly wouldn’t open his mouth.
 
“Yah, Kim Jonghyun, open your mouth,” I said through clenched teeth.
 
“What if I don’t?”  Aish, no wonder Taemin is like the way that he is.  He learned it from Jonghyun.
 
“Yah, if you don’t open your mouth in the next 5 seconds, I am going to pour this water bottle all over your face, so you better open up,” I threatened.  He smirked, not believing that I would do it.  In a split second, I had opened the water bottle and splashed it on his face.  Immediately he opened his mouth and I fed him the ddukbokki. 
 
“You see, we could have avoided all of this if you had just opened your mouth in the first place.  Let me go get a towel.”  Jonghyun looked at me innocently, as if he did nothing wrong.  I got a towel and walked back into the room 
 
“Ahjumma, clean up please.”  Ahjumma?  Did he just call me ahjumma?
 
“Yah, Kim Jonghyun, what did you just call me?”  One thing I did not take well was being called an ahjumma.  Huh, let the war begin. 
 
“I called you AHJUMMA!” saying it loudly as if I couldn’t hear. 
 
“Fine, I’m an ahjumma.  You are not so much better, danshin.”  Jonghyun’s face immediately changed from arrogance to one of childish anger.  I laughed, he looked like a five-year old who had their candy taken away from them. 
 
“Yah, I’m not a danshin!” he claimed.
 
“Whatever you say…..danshin,” I said with a smirk.
 
“I’m sorry!  Stop calling me danshin!”  he yelled, covering his ears. 
 
“Arraso, arraso.  Just eat this.”  I brought the fork up to his mouth, but he refused.
 
“I told you I’m not eating!” he complained like he was five.
 
“Aish, I am not going through this again Kim Jonghyun!  Open your mouth!”  I wasn’t able to hit him, so I grabbed a handful of his hair and shook him back and forth.
 
“Yah!  Stop!  This freakin hurts!  I will eat it!”  I released his hair and fed him the ddukbokki.
 
“You know Jonghyun-ah, if you had listened to me the first time, all of this could have been avoided,” I said gesturing to his ruffled hair and his face splashed with water.  Jonghyun gave me a pout.