Chapter 09

Can you protect Everyone?

Jonghyun POV

I woke up feeling dazed.  Why does everything smell so much like…..the HOSPITAL!  I sat up immediately, but soon regretted it.  My side was aching with pain.  I shook my head trying to make sense of my thoughts.  I vaguely remembered getting on the bike going somewhere with someone…..Taemin!.  I tried to get out of bed, but the IV’s were holding me back.  I struggled to rip them off, but my fingers wouldn’t work the way I wanted them to.  suddenly I felt a hand restraining me.  I began to panic, not even bothering to see who it was.  I cringed waiting for who I thought was my father to hit me, but the blow never came.  Instead, a gentle hand was placed on my back, and the voice was not rough like my father’s, but rather lighter and softer, like Jessica’s. 

“Jonghyun-ah, are you okay?  Why were you trying to get the IV’s off?  All you had to do was wake me up and I would have gotten what you needed.”  I stared at her.

“You were sleeping here?  What time is it?  What about your school”  She smiled at me. 

“It’s two.  I’ve been sleeping here ever since you got here, which was around 10:00.  And don’t worry about school, on Tuesdays I usually don’t get home until 12:30 at night.  I began to ask her about Taemin.  But something was off.  When I said the word Taemin, her eyes changed, just for a second.  But that second was enough for my fear to resurface as I began to panic again.  I was worried about Taemin and on top of that, I hated being in the hospital.  Jessica sensed that something was wrong.

“Jonghyun-ah, what’s wrong?  You can tell me.  if you’re worried about Taemin, he’s fine right now,” Jessica soothed.  I became slightly reassured at the fact that Taemin was alright, but everywhere I looked I began to think of my mother.  I began to shake at the flood of memories of when my mom was in the hospital, sick from cancer.  Without even realizing it, Jessica had me in a tight hug, comforting me as if I was a scared child.  I pulled away.

“I need to get out of here.  I need to see Taemin.”  My voice was all choked with tears as I was staring at the ground. 

“Taemin..” was all I said while looking at her.  Again, her eyes changed, just for a second. 

“Jessica, tell me what’s wrong with Taemin.”  She looked anywhere but me.  I shook her, gaining her attention.

“Taemin needs to get checked up at St. Mary’s Hospital.”  I released her, knowing full well what St. Mary’s Hospital was for.  Afterall, it was the same place my mother was first diagnosed with cancer. 

 

Jessica’s POV

I looked around, not wanting to meet Jonghyun’s eyes.  How could I tell him that Taemin had cancer.  I was furiously debating whether or not to tell him the truth or just lie for now.  I sighed.  I figured that he would find out sooner or later, so I told him.

“Taemin needs to  be checked at St. Mary’s Hospital.”  By the expression on Jonghyun’s face, I’m guessing that he already knew what St. Mary’s Hospital is for. 

“The doctor said that Taemin might have early stages of leukemia,” I whispered softly.

“Are you sure that he has cancer?” he asked, his voice slightly breaking on the last word. 

“We’re not sure, but that’s why the doctor said to go check.”  He nodded, slowly taking in all the information.

“Can I go see him?”  I nodded in response and called for the nurse.  The nurse allowed Jonghyun to change back into his clothes and take out the IV for now.  When he came back out, his eyes were puffy and red. 

“Let’s go,” he said simply.  Without me even realizing, he gently grabbed my hand and began to walk down the hallway.  Instead of pulling away like I expected myself to, I instead grabbed his hand tighter, trying to give him strength.  As we walked down the hallway, he slightly leaned on me for support.  Automatically, I did my best to make him as comfortable as possible without hurting him.  I didn’t know why and I know that it sounds stupid, but I hurt whenever he did.  As we neared Taemin’s room, Jonghyun began to walk even slower, as if he didn’t want to ever reach that room.

“Jonghyun-ah, come on.  Are you hurting anywhere?”  I gently coaxed him, while tugging on his arm.  He didn’t move.

“Sooyeon-ah, what am I supposed to do now?  Taemin probably has cancer, I don’t even have the money to pay for the treatments, much less pay for his school.  Dad doesn’t help and-"  he choked up unable to say anymore.  i had never seen Jonghyun look so alone and afraid.  Even when we were younger he had been the one who had protected me no matter what the situation was.  But now, he looked scared, not knowing what was going to happen.  Jonghyun ran his hand through his hair and began pacing around the room, trying to calm down.

“I can’t do this again Sooyeon-ah.  I can’t see Taemin go through all that crap that doesn’t even help get rid of cancer,” he said fiercely, his voice thick with tears.  I was slightly confused, but then I remembered what the doctor had said about Jonghyun’s mom. 

“Jonghyun-ah, what exactly happened to your mom?” I questioned softly.

“When I was 15, mom died of leukemia.  It started off like Taemin.  The doctor said that she should go for a check-up at St. Mary’s.  They said that it was nothing serious, but just in case.  But then they found out that she had stage 3 leukemia.  They put her on radiation, pills, chemotherapy, and a bunch of other stuff that they said would help and possibly get rid of cancer.  Yea…they were all so nice when we were able to pay for the treatments…”  Jonghyun’s tone changed to anger and the words rushed out faster from his mouth.

“Dad became drunk because he couldn’t handle the truth of my mom having cancer.  He was angry that all the money was going to her and began to take the saved up money for mom and began to use it to buy drinks.  The doctors were okay with me being unable to pay, but then they became impatient and told me that they wouldn’t be able to continue the treatments without the money.  My mom told me not to worry about it because the treatments didn’t do her any good.  But without the treatments, she became paler and she was in pain everyday.  Some days she wouldn’t even be able to open her eyes to see me.  And then one day, she just left me.”  Jonghyun’s silent tears rolled down his cheek as he hastily brushed them away. 

More updates if there is snow tomorrow!  this story will get happier in the next chapter or so!