Chapter 14

Can you protect Everyone?

 

Jessica POV
 
“You know Jonghyun-ah, if you had listened to me the first time, all of this could have been avoided,” I said gesturing to his ruffled hair and his face splashed with water.  Jonghyun gave me a pout.  I laughed softly at his face expression.  I reached over to fix his messed up hair.  I expected him to pull away, but he remained motionless.  When I finished fixing his hair to my satisfaction, I began to sit back down, but Jonghyun leaned into me.
 
“Jonghyun-ah,” I whispered, concerned.  He didn’t lift his head.
 
“You said before that we would both die before we would let anything bad happen to Taemin.  Then, how did this happen to him?  Did I not do enough for him?  Was it my fault that he has cancer?  You know, if I had paid just a little more attention to him, maybe I could have prevented this right?” he asked, his voice flat and emotionless.  I wrapped my arms around him as I could feel his silent tears soaking my shirt. 
 
“Kim Jonghyun.  I meant what I said when I told you that we would die before Taemin gets hurt.  Look at us now, we’re both doing everything we can to make sure Taemin is as comfortable as possible.”  I gently ruffled his hair.  I sighed, this was affecting him worse than I thought. I grabbed his face between my hands and wiped away the tears. 
 
“Don’t blame yourself.  It’s not your fault.  You couldn’t prevent Taemin having cancer.  Nobody could.  So stop…this,” I said, gesturing to, well, all of him.  He nodded and gingerly tried to lie back down.  I heard him hissing in pain so I reached out to help him.  This time he didn’t refuse my help. 
 
He slowly closed his eyes and began to fall asleep.  I ran a hand through my hair.  I could feel my lip trembling and the tears that I had forced back every single time for the past two days threatened to spill over.  I clasped a hand over my mouth so Jonghyun wouldn’t be able to hear my cries.  I pulled my knees up to my chest and buried my head on my knees and cried out all the emotions that I had bottled up. 
 
Jonghyun POV
 
I closed my eyes and was beginning to drift asleep, but I heard soft sobs coming from Jessica.  It hurt knowing that I had caused her this much pain and worry all in just two days.  Way to go Kim Jonghyun.  I slightly opened my eyes and saw Sica crying into her knees.  Well go comfort her Jonghyun!  I sighed, I felt like it would have been better for her to let out all of her feelings.  You always felt better once you cried.  Soon after, I heard her cries become quieter, until I couldn’t hear them at all. 
 
Maybe Sica left?  I didn’t hear her leave, so I opened my eyes a little bit once more.  Her head was tilted to the side and her breathing was slow.  I realized that she had fallen asleep.  Poor Sica, she must be so tired from everything.  I painfully got out of bed and walked over to Sica.  Her eyes were tearstained and dark circles were prominent under her eyes. 
 
I put my arms under Sica and carried her bridal style to the bed.  I admit, my arms hurt really badly.  Sica wasn’t heavy, but my arms still hadn’t healed completely.  I laid her on my hospital bed, careful not to wake her up. 
 
I made sure she was comfortable and pulled up the blankets around her.  I brushed the bangs away from her face and smiled.  Watching her sleep made her look like Jung Sooyeon, the caring little girl that I knew.  Although, I didn’t mind the ice princess, but secretly caring without really knowing that she is, Jessica Jung.  No matter who she was, I still loved her like crazy. 
 
It passed almost three hours.  It was getting close to dinner time.  I felt as I should wake Sica up, but she looked so peaceful.  I decided to go check on Taemin, but as I got out of the chair, I immediately collapsed onto the floor. 
 
The pain that shot up my side was….indescribable.  I let out a sharp gasp of pain, and apparently that was enough to wake up Sica.  Before I could pretend like nothing ever happened, she was already at my side.  Although she just woke up, her face was alert and full of concern.  I slowly stood up with her help.  I chuckled awkwardly. 
 
“Um…hehe…sorry,” I put my hand up, asking for forgiveness.  She glared at me in thorough annoyance. 
 
“How did I even get in your bed in the first place?”
 
“Well, I kinda sorta carried you,” I said while scratching my head, hoping she wouldn’t flip out. 
 
“YAH KIM JONGHYUN!  YOU COULD HAVE GOTTEN HURT!  WHAT WERE YOU THINKING? YOU’RE SUCH A @#$!*@#%!”  Sica yelled something incomprehensible in English.  Then to my surprise she hugged me softly. 
 
“Thanks Jonghyun……for being the babo that you are…..I like it.”  That’s right!  I am irresistible!  I was just about to respond with something totally Me-like, but I hunched over and grasped my side.  Stupid Pain!  Ruining what could be a life-changing moment with the Ice-Princess!
 
“Jonghyun, are you okay?  Come back onto the bed.”  She gently put her arms around my waist and gingerly led me back to the hospital bed. 
 
“Sica, I need to check on Taemin.”  I tried to get back up, but she pushed me back down. 
 
“Yah, if you keep moving, you’ll have to stay in the hospital longer.  I’ll go check on Taemin.”  She scolded lightly.  I looked at her gratefully.  After she left, I felt more calm and reassured.  She had that effect on me.  I began to think. 
 
What was my father doing now?  He’s probably out drinking, happy that we are gone.  Damn it.  I realized that I left my money jar in my room.  I sighed.  He probably took it.  A hundred dollars out the door.  I sighed and closed my eyes and slowly drifted back to sleep.
 
Jessica POV
 
When I entered Taemin’s room, he had already fallen asleep from the intense game of Pokémon.  He looked so innocent.  Ring-ring-ring~~~ I hastily took out my phone, hoping it didn’t wake Taemin up. 
 
“Hello?” I whispered softly. 
 
“Jung Jessica, where are you right now that you have to whisper?”  My mother asked suspiciously.  .  Think fast Sica. 
 
“Um…I’m at the library mom, with my friends.  What did you call me for?” 
 
“Jung Jessica, don’t lie to me.  I see you.  Turn around.”  I slowly turned around and saw my mom on the phone, staring icily at me.  And people wonder where I get my ice-princess personality from.  I let out a sigh and walked outside to my death.  As soon as I stood in front of my mother, she slapped me across the face.  Ouch!
 
“What the hell do you think you’re doing?”  Before I could even respond, she cut in.
 
“I’m warning you Jessica, you go near that boy again, I will make both your lives living hell.  Just do what you’re told.  You’re going to have to take over the company soon, and hanging out with the likes of his will ruin your image and ultimately the company.  Do you want your father to lose everything he’s worked for because of your stupid mistake?” 
 
I clenched my teeth to hold back my anger.  I wanted to scream and yell at her that it was unfair.  I would take responsibility for my own decisions, why should it affect appa?  Didn’t she already ruin our image by slapping my face in public?  Instead of saying all of this, I bowed my head in apology. 
 
“We’re leaving.”  My mom walked….well, stormed….down the hallway.  I slowly followed behind her.  I couldn’t just leave Jonghyun without any word.  I let my mom get ahead and turn the corner until she was out of my sight.  I had about 20 seconds before she came and dragged me along with her.  I grabbed a small piece of paper and a pen off the front desk and hastily scribbled a message.
 
Kim Jonghyun, something came up so I had to leave.  Meet me in the lobby of the hospital tomorrow night at 7.
Sica`-`
 
“Jung Jessica!” my mother yelled. 
 
“COMING!  JUST LEAVE ME ALONE!”