Chapter 9

Right Before Your Eyes

 

8) What does he tell his friends about you? That says more than enough about what he really thinks of you.

            "Hey," Kibum said slowly. "I'm Kibum."
            Siwon grabbed Kibum's hand and shook it firmly, energetically. "It's really great to be working with you," he said enthusiastically.
            Kibum nodded, extracting his hand gingerly. "About that…"
            Siwon grinned wryly. "Hyung said you'd be like this. Kibum, I'm not here to boss you around or anything. I'm just here to chat with you and work with you."
            Kibum sighed slightly. He supposed he should just accept it, since Han Geng hyung sent him, and since he was a hyung—wait, was he a hyung?
            "What year were you born in?" he asked carefully.
            "'86. But we're in the same class year. Please, just call me Siwon, no honorifics." 
            Kibum accepted reluctantly. "Well, Siwon, how about you show me what you're made of?"
            He jumped onto stage gamely while Kibum took a seat in the audience. "You down for an improv game?" Siwon called from the stage.
            Kibum smiled for the first time since meeting him. "Okay, then. First challenge: you're a whale beached on the sand."
            Siwon protested, "Ah, mwoya? When will I ever use that?"
            "I don't know, a comedy?" Kibum responded mercilessly.
            Siwon squared his shoulders and said, "Fine. But you're next!" Then he got on the floor and started squirming around, bellowing like a whale. 

            Kibum actually laughed out loud; this man, dressed in all his fancy, expensive clothing, was wriggling around onstage right in front of him. Siwon got up and dusted off his clothes, looking a little embarrassed by his actions. He then challenged, "I'm going to get you for that. For your turn, you're going to be a camel trying to find water."
            Kibum took the challenge without a word. He jumped onto the stage and immediately bent over so his back was sticking up in the air like a camel’s hump and crawled around on all fours, sniffing the ground and panting desperately. Siwon laughed even louder than Kibum had. His nose scrunched up and dimples dented his smooth cheeks, and his laugh echoed loudly through the room. Kibum got up and walked over to Siwon, crossing his arms again coolly, as if he had not just been humiliated two seconds ago.
            "Not bad," Siwon admitted with a smile. "You know, Kibum, you seem pretty cool. I definitely wouldn't mind practicing acting with you more. And next time, maybe we could do some serious script-reading, or something."
            Kibum raised his eyebrow and considered the good-natured man in front of him. He laughed too much, talked too much, was too good-looking, too confident, too nice. Let alone the fact that he was the first serious competition Kibum's had in acting since he'd been in school with Heechul hyung. This Choi Siwon didn't seem at all like someone he could get along with, but despite all that, something about him made Kibum like him anyway. He nodded and said with a slight grin, "Fair enough, Choi Siwon, fair enough."

 

                                                                                                             ~*~

 


            "But aren't you Chinese?" you asked confusedly, looking back and forth at the three people in front of you. You were sitting with Henry, Song Qian, and her little sister Eunyoung on a bench in SNU’s outdoor campus, enjoying the spring air.
            Eunyoung, a young, energetic girl with short hair, smiled and said, "Of course I am! But since I come here to visit Qian jiejie so often, my friends here nicknamed Eunyoung. And I figured, since I'm in Korea, I might as well use my Korean name, you know?"
            Henry grinned fondly, "She has so many names. In English, we call her Amber."
            You just felt more confused. "So what should I call you?"
            Eunyoung laughed. "You can call me Eunyoung. No one over here really calls me Amber, except for Henry. And my sister just calls me meimei."
            "Okay, Eunyoung," you said with a sincere smile. "It's really nice to meet you. Do you want to take a tour of the campus with me?"
            She shook her head apologetically. "Sorry, _____ unni. Jiejie showed me all of her classrooms already, and Henry showed me the rest. Henry's even taken me to see some other parts of Seoul, too."
            Your face fell. Henry showed her all that? "That's okay. I'm sure we can find something to do. Maybe you'd like to shop?"
            "I'm not much of a shopper…"
            "Then I can treat you to a meal?"
            "Henry and I were just out for lunch," she said, not even the slightest bit abashed after rejecting you three times.
            You were getting frustrated. What was with this girl? Shouldn't a dongsaeng be more polite to her elders, and just accept your offers willingly? You took a deep breath to calm yourself and remember that she was a foreigner, and probably didn't mean to be rude. 
            But why was she always with Henry? She mentioned him way too often. Henry this, Henry that. Didn't she know that you were dating? It was more than annoying; honestly, it made you jealous. You looked her in the eye and said in a completely different tone, pulling your friendliness back and slipping on a frosty tone of voice,
            "Fine, then. I have to get going anyways. My friends, Kibum and Ryeowook, wanted to have a meal with me. Qiannie, I'll see you later." You didn't say anything to Henry but just waved half-heartedly and only threw Eunyoung a simple nod before stalking off. 
            "_____ noona, wait!" Henry called, starting after you.
            "Henry, didn't you say we were going to spend the day together?" Eunyoung protested.
            "Yeah," Henry said distractedly, watching your retreating form. "But I meant with all of us."
            You heard this, and started walking faster. If Henry cared, he would come. If he were worth it, he would come. At this moment, you were scared. You wanted to stop walking. You didn't want to walk away and lose something special, again. Most of all, you were afraid that he would let you walk away. They were no longer in earshot, and you couldn't hear any running footsteps chasing after you. You sighed deeply and plugged in your headphones to distract you from your disappointment. It was too good to be true, wasn't it? The real truth was that you would never again meet someone like him. Hopelessness weighed down you shoulders as you walked on. When you were nearing your dorm, you felt a hand suddenly clamp down on your shoulder, causing you to jump and scream at the top of your lungs.
            "_____! _____! It's just me, Henry!" A familiar face popped up in front of yours. His eyes looked anxious, but at the same time a sparkle of amusement twinkled in them.
            "Henry! I hate you! What the hell did you do that for?" You steamed. Deep down, however, you were pleased he caught you; you just refused to let it show. Not until you found out where Eunyoung was.
            "I'm sorry, noona," he said with a chuckle. "But I chased you for so long and called out your name so many times, but you never turned around."
            You decided to test him further. "You should just go back to Qiannie and Eunyoung-ssi, Henry."
            He pouted his lips. "I don't want to go back to them. I already told them that I'd rather spend time with you!"
            "Really?" Your eyes brightened and your heart lightened. "You said that about me?"
            "I also told them that _____ noona was the prettiest girl I've met in a long time. I said I really liked talking to you. I told them I really wanted to know more about you, because I knew there was something special about you the moment I first saw you," Henry told you, his sincerity shining in his eyes. He took your hand and you were surprised to find yourself blushing.
            "You really think that about me?" you asked shyly.
            "I think that and more," he replied, his smile making his round face look even more youthful and cute.
            "Henry…I don't know what to say," you said, at a loss for words at his sudden confession. Was your first relationship in two years really turning out this well, so soon?
            He squeezed your hand and said hopefully, "Say that you'll go on a date with me, just me and my noona, tomorrow evening."
            You looked at him, just as much hope filling your heart—let this last, you prayed. "I'd really love to, Henry."
            8) What does he tell his friends about you? That says more than enough about what he really thinks of you. Henry, rule 8: check.



                                                                                                            ~*~

 

            As you got into bed that night, Qian asked you, "You like him, don't you?"
            "Yeah, I do," you said honestly. 
            Qian said with a sigh, "Whatever makes you happy. You're my best friend…just…"
            "Just what?" you asked, not understanding what she was trying to say.
            "Just…be happy with what you have. He sure likes you a lot," Qian finished, still sounding uncertain.
            "Okay," you said simply, letting go of your curiosity. Happy thoughts had filled your head, and you found yourself looking forward to dreaming about Henry. "Sleep well, Qiannie."
            "You, too."
            But that night, there was no Henry in your dreams…only a hauntingly familiar face. 
            "I hate you!" you screeched, shoving him away.
            He didn't budge and instead held tightly to your arm. "_____, shut up! You don't underst—"
            "
Don'ttell me to shut up! You're the one who doesn't understand. You're the one who has no idea what I'm feeling right now!"
            He argued, "Would you just listen to me?!"
            "No! You listen!" Your volume dropped. Your heart was broken, and all the anger faded and was replaced with utter heartbreak and hurt. "Didn't you think for one second about me? About how I would feel when you kissed her?"
            "I—"
            "How much it would break my heart to see you with her?" You ripped yourself from his grasp. "Don't you know how much I love you? How much it hurts to love someone like you?"
            "_____, I really—" he tried to say. But you turned your back to him. 
            "I don't even know if I can even love you anymore," you said, purposefully enunciating every word, trying to hurt him like he’d hurt you, your own heart ripping in two even as you were speaking.
            "Don't say that! Don’t even think that! You're scaring me!" he said, an upset expression coming onto his face. But you left him there. In your dream, as you were leaving, that other girl, the one he had kissed, appeared by his side and grabbed him and kissed him. While kissing him, she looked at you, winking evilly, and pulled out a knife and stabbed him in the heart. You felt a sudden warmth on your clothes and screamed when you saw blood seeping into your clothes. You looked wildly at the girl, who only looked wildly back at you. You stifled anther scream as you reached out to touch her but only touched a mirror. You backed away in horror as your boyfriend slid to the ground, his lips whispering your name as his life slipped away from him. A knife fell out of your hands as you could only cover your mouth in disbelief and distress as your boyfriend died right in front of you, by your own hands.
            You screamed, sobbing as you started awake. You looked around at your room, relieved to see that it was just a nightmare, but you couldn't fall asleep again…it was the first time in two years that Song Qian had not gotten up to comfort you. 
            Heart racing, you laid back down in bed and tried to fall asleep, but with the nightmare at your heels and no Qiannie to comfort you, you could only stare at the wall and imagine his face and the blood draining from it as he looked at you in betrayal.

 

 

A/N: As you can see, You/Reader is pretty messed up. One minute she's having fun with Henry, the next she's being terribly haunted by her past. She hasn't connected enough with Henry to fully let go of her past, but we'll see if that gets any better or not, whether Henry can fix it or not. And then we have SiBum! I love them. Not my OTP, because my OTP is me+Kibum, but they're great<3 The best part about SiBum is that they're so different, personality-wise, but they also have a lot in common, enough to get them to connect really well as friends. In real life, Siwon was always the one reaching out to Kibum, so I tried to incorporate that here. I hope you guys can get a good feel on Siwon's character here, and I hope you think it's similar to real-life. The only thing about writing Siwon is that his open-ness makes Kibum seem so closed off. My favorite is to write Kibum/Reader, because then he expresses himself freely, and he teases her a lot, and it's sho cuuuute ^o^ At this point in time, I think Kibum's in healthier place than Reader. They're both taking the steps to healing, but Kibum is more willing to let go of the past than Reader is. There's a reason for that, and you guys will learn why later. And also, sorry for making Amber such a mean person XD She's not really mean; she has her reasons, which I think are pretty obvious here. It's just that HenBer drives me CRAZY, because I get so jealous because Henry is also one of my SuJu biases. Okay, I think that's it for now! I'll be able to update every week, maybe even more, because I'm finally on summer break!! So see you guys soon, and please comment/subscribe! It is so unbelievably encouraging, and it really gives me motivation to write!!! I'm at 10 subcribers now, and 350+ views, so thank you all so much<3<3<3