Chapter 7

Right Before Your Eyes

 

1) If he says it was love at first sight, he wants to get in your pants. That's an immediate rejection. Slap him, if you can.

2) If he uses cheesy pickup lines, watch out! If they're y, that means he's an overconfident that actually has an inferiority complex, but if they're just plain cheesy, the guy is probably funny.

3) Look at how he dresses. If he has no distinctive style, his momma still probably buys all his clothes for him. Not good. You can’t date someone who’s still living with his mom. Plus, the way someone dresses says A LOT about his personality.

 

            “So I really look okay?” You said, feeling slightly nervous. You were wearing a new shirt with patterned leggings and a denim skirt, along with gently curled hair and smoky eyeliner.

            “You look amazing.”

            You smiled at her gratefully before glancing at the clock and saying, “Looks like it’s time to head out. I’m going to pick up Kibum, then we’re going to meet Henry at some restaurant.”

            Song Qian wrinkled her nose at that, saying, “No offense to Kibum-ssi, but are you seriously bringing him to you date with Henry-ssi?”

            “What’s wrong with that?” you asked, oblivious to any problem. “He’s my best friend; it’ll be fine!”

            Song Qian sighed and shook her head. “Seriously, _____? You’re going to have your best friend third-wheel on your first date in two years?”

            “Oh!” you laughed, finally comprehending what she was trying to say. “No, it’s not like that. It’s a double-date! I’m setting him up with my hoobae, Soonkyu.”

            Song Qian pursed her lips. “I guess that’s better, but still. Don’t you want a little one-on-one with Henry-ssi?”

            “Nope! Too nerve-wracking. Kibum always makes me feel calm, so he’s coming along,” you said matter-of-factly.

            “He’s a person, not a lucky charm.”           

            “He’s both!”

            Qian started, “_____, I really—“

            You caught sight of the time, “Shoot! Sorry, Qiannie, I’d love to spend more time with you, but I’m already late. Gotta go!” You ran out the door, and Qian threw herself on the bed, grumbling about you and your cluelessness.

 

                                                                                                            ~*~

 

            “Whoa, there!” you exclaimed with a playful grin as Kibum stepped out of his apartment. “Lookin’ good, Bummie!”

            “You too, _____,” he said, not cracking a smile.           

            “What’s wrong, Bum-ah? Are you nervous?” you asked him as you walked together towards Kibum’s car.

            “No, it’s nothing,” he mumbled. You frowned, displeased that he was hiding something from you, but you got in the backseat of his car without another word, anyway.           

            “Why are you back there?” he asked. “What do I look like, a chaffeur?”

            You explained, ignoring his shortness, “I want Soonkyu to sit in the front when we pick her up!”

            Kibum just sighed and started up the car. He checked the back window for oncoming cars but avoided meeting your eyes. You pouted to yourself, sinking into your seat.

            “Annyeonghaseyo, Kibum sunbae!” Soonkyu greeted cheerfully as she slipped into the front seat.

            “Annyeonghaseyo,” he returned in his deep voice, nodding his head.

            “Soonkyu, annyeong!” you called from the back, not to be ignored.

            “Annyeong! So, sunbae, where are we going?”

            “Some place that Henry suggested,” you said, completely oblivious to the fact that Soonkyu had asked Kibum, not you. She smiled anyway and assented.

            When you arrived, Henry opened the door for you. Following the list which was carefully tucked into your purse as usual, as soon as you stepped out, you appraised his outfit carefully. Sneakers, a t-shirt, black jeans and a colorful sweater, all topped off by a carefully angled cap—playful, youthful, and innocent. All in all, very cute, and you approved. At least he didn’t walk around with chains hanging off his clothes or dressed like a girl.

            3) Look at how he dresses. If he has no distinctive style, his momma still probably buys all his clothes for him. Not good. You can’t date someone who’s still living with his mom. Plus, the way someone dresses says A LOT about his personality. Henry, rule three: check.

            “Hi, Henry,” you greeted with a warm smile, accepting his outreached hand to help you get up. Kibum did the same, walking around to let Soonkyu out, which you noticed with pride. Kibum grew up to be a good gentleman, you thought to yourself, satisfied.

            “It’s great to see you again!” he said cheerfully. “And you look really pretty.” He hesitated for a moment—you could see the reluctant flicker in his eyes—but then he said, “_____, you want to hear something funny?”

            “Sure!”

            He coughed, and scratched the back of his neck, before saying, “Was your dad a thief? ‘Cause just by looking at you tonight I think he stole the stars from the sky and put them in your eyes.”

            Kibum and Soonkyu both gagged and rolled their eyes, but you laughed out loud.

            2) If he uses cheesy pickup lines, watch out! If they're y, that means he's an overconfident that actually has an inferiority complex, but if they're just plain cheesy, the guy is probably funny. Funny is good. Henry, rule two: check.

            “Henry-ah, who taught you that? Those kinds of things don’t really come up in Korean lessons,” you asked, your eyes still smiling.

            “One of my hyungs here in Korea,” he said with a sheepish laugh. “Did you like that?”

            “I liked it a lot. It made me feel more comfortable,” you said with another chuckle. “But, thanks. And no, my dad is not a thief.”   

            “I hope so,” Henry joked with you as he led you into the restaurant.

            “Chinese?” you asked, observing the decorations.           

            “Too predictable?” he asked.

            “No,” you shook your head. “It’s perfect.”

            As Henry pulled out your chair for you he asked discreetly, under his breath, “So you’re really not dating Kibum sunbae?”

            “Henry, I swear I’m not,” you insisted good-naturedly.

            “Just checking, just checking,” he responded with his hands up. “I’m really glad. I think you’re pretty cool, noona.”

            He thinks you’re cool? Looks like he’s taking it in nice and slow with the compliments, you mused.1) If he says it was love at first sight, he wants to get in your pants. That's an immediate rejection. Slap him, if you can. Henry, rule one: check.

            It was cute hearing him call you noona. It made you blush. Soonkyu sat down next to you with Kibum facing her, and Henry sat across from you. “I hope we can all have fun together,” Soonkyu said brightly.

            “Aigoo, my cute little dongsaeng,” you said, pinching her cheek slightly. Kibum smiled at you both, making you feel comfortable enough to ask him what was upsetting him before.

            You shot him a pointed look, asking without words what his problem was earlier. He glanced at Soonkyu and Henry before confessing, “I just had a talk with Han Geng hyung. It’s just that I’m struggling in my classes. You know, with acting.” He glanced at you.

            Acting, actors, Han Geng…the words reverberated in your head, making you stiffen as yet another memory rushed to your mind.           

            “I’m going to be an actor someday,” he told you, grinning confidently. “A really good one. I’ll win all the awards, and when I do, I’ll mention you in every speech.”

            “So, you mean, if I date you, I can be a little famous, too?” you teased.

            “You’ll be famous on your own,” he assured. “The best news anchor in Korea.”

            “You’ll be the best actor in the whole world, then,” you said, kissing him on the cheek. He smiled at you and leaned in to kiss you on the lips.

            But truthfully, he was never going to be anything…

            Kibum opened his mouth to wake you from your living nightmare, but Henry beat him to it.

            “_____ noona, are you okay?” He asked, concern coloring his voice.           

            “Yeah,” you said shakily. “I just…remembered something.”

            Henry grabbed your hand from across the table, forgetting that it was rude to touch someone he had just met, but oddly enough, you didn’t mind his touch. It was comforting having him there. “Don’t think about too many bad things. Just think about me, okay?”

            You smiled at him, simply because the sight of his dimples made you smile. You genuinely felt like, maybe, just maybe, it was okay. You squeezed his hand, letting past memories slip away easily, for the first time.

            Kibum sat back in his chair, watching you calm down without his help. His mouth twisted in slight displeasure. Soonkyu, who, in turn, was watching Kibum, said, “You okay, sunbae?”

            He looked at her, grinning half-heartedly. “Yeah, I’m fine.” But truthfully, he couldn’t stop glancing at you the entire night, and everyone noticed except you.

 

A/N: Does anyone ship themself with Kibum yet in this story? Or are you guys liking Reader-Henry? And, can anyone guess yet who the ex was? I think I kinda gave it away in these past two chapters, but who knows! And speaking of Kibum, OH MY GOD THE I LOVE ITALY ASDFGHJKL. I'm so happy with this drama already. I'm sorry, Deep-rooted Tree, but I can't stand my Bummie with a beard. And he wasn't even the lead! Anyway, this isn't much of a double update. More like two short chapters. But I didn't want to put them in one, because too much was happening, and I don't want this story to seem rushed. Please comment and subscribe! It really means a lot!