Chapter 3

Right Before Your Eyes

                 Soonkyu, always bright and playful, led you by the hand to get lunch at one of the cafeterias. Sooyoung and Miyoung, two of your hoobaes, tagged along, looking very excited to finally grab some food. Despite the miserably rainy weather, you were all laughing as you dashed together through the campus to get to the next building before your hair could get completely soaked.

                  "Phew, we made it!" Soonkyu cheered.
                  Sooyoung sniffed the air and wondered, "What's that smell? It smells absolutely perfect!"
                  You quickly scanned the room, hoping to find an empty table to sit at. "Uh, guys? I think they're calling you." You gestured to a group of younger girls already gathered and seated at a table, energetically waving their arms in your direction. Soonkyu scurried ahead to greet her friends, and Miyoung and Sooyoung quickly followed. "Aren't you coming?" Miyoung called back, flashing you that eye-smile.
                  You grinned back, happy to tag along. When you reached them, all the girls stopped chatting and greeted you politely, getting up to bow. "Annyeonghaseyo!" they chorused.
                  You bowed back slightly in return, greeting them as well. You racked your brains to try and remember their names, and you quickly matched their faces to the names that floated in your head aloud. "Annyeonghaseyo, Taeyeon-ssi," You greeted the short girl with clear skin and bright eyes. "Sooyeon-ssi," to the beautiful girl with long, flowing hair. "Hyoyeon-ssi," to the one with the pretty eyes and a strong nose. "And Yuri-ssi," you said finally to the one with the most tanned skin and perfect hair.
                  "Wow, sunbae, you remembered all of them!" Sooyoung said, impressed. 
                  "Of course," You responded with an easy-going smile. "We've met a few times, and you have all been my hoobaes for a couple of months now. And how could I forget such pretty faces?"
                  The girls smiled gratefully at you and accepted your praise with a nod of thanks. "Won't you sit with us, _____ sunbae?"
                  "I'd be glad to," you accepted, "after I grab some lunch."
                  Sooyoung and Soonkyu followed you to get food, and you whispered to them, "Do you think they like me?"
                  "Of course they do, sunbae! You're so good to all your juniors. We're really glad to know you and I know they all want to get closer with you," Soonkyu explained, while Sooyoung nodded in agreement.
                  "That's good," you said, content. You don’t remember the last time you tried to socialize, but you hoped now that you were trying harder to get out more that you weren’t too awkward. "How about you let this sunbae buy you lunch, then?"
                  You bought yourself a bowl of ramen, while Sooyoung picked out some ribs and Soonkyu chose chicken. When you got back to the table of girls, the others looked shocked at the plainness of your lunch compared to theirs. "Excuse me, sunbae, but why are you eating only ramen? It's not good for you," Sooyeon wrinkled her nose slightly. You laughed and shrugged off her disdain for ramen.
                  "It tastes good," you explained. "and it's cheap, and it's filling." The other girls nodded understandingly, and you couldn’t help but feel at ease around them. They were very sweet, if not a little too girly for your taste.
                  "Song Qian!" you called, suddenly catching sight of one of your closest friends. "Yah! Come here!"

                  She rushed over, carrying her own packed lunch. The other girls scooted down the round table to make room for her as she pulled a chair next to you. "_____!" she said happily. "I'm so hungry! How was your day? I'm glad I don't have to eat alone! Who are these girls?"
                  "One question at a time, Qiannie," you said with a laugh. "You remember my hoobaes, Miyoung, Soonkyu, and Sooyoung,” you gestured to them, “and these are their friends."
                  "Annyeonghaseyo!" Song Qian said with a warm smile. They all greeted her as politely as they had greeted you. You were really starting to warm up to these friendly, well-mannered girls. Comfortable with each other, you all started to eat and chat.
                  "Ugh," Song Qian groaned. "I'm tired of eating this plain boiled chicken. I can't wait for the spring showcase to be over so I can finally start eating normal food again."
                  "Excuse me, sunbae, but are you a ballerina in the Dance Department?"
                  Qian nodded, delighted that someone recognized her. The girl who had asked the question, Hyoyeon, continued, "You're really famous there! They say your flexibility and ballet moves are really something else."
                  Qian blushed happily and thanked her for the compliment, asking, "Do you dance too?"
                  Hyoyeon nodded enthusiastically, eager to get closer to Qiannie, a sunbae she admired. "Yeah! I'm not a ballerina, though. I'm studying modern styles of dance, instead of than classical. And Yuri over here is minoring in dance as well, although her major is acting."
                  You learned more about the other girls: Taeyeon was studying Vocal Performance while Sooyeon was studying Musical Theater, both at the SNU Department of Music, and you also learned that not only was your hoobae, Miyoung, studying Communications with you, but she was also double-majoring in Music Composition. 
                  "Wah, all my friends are artists!" you laughed. "Miyoung-ah, I didn't know you studied Music Composition. Maybe you know my friend, Kim Ryeowook?"
                  "Oh, Ryeowook sunbae!" Miyoung said excitedly. "He's really talented and helpful to his juniors. Everyone loves him. You should see how outstanding he is when he practices his compositions."
                  "Ryeowook jjang!" you cheered, happy to hear that your close friend was so well liked. 
                  "What's this I hear about Kim Ryeowook?" a familiar deep voice inquired behind you. 
                  "Kibum-ah!" you said. You welcomed him with a tight hug, blissfully ignorant of the raised eyebrows around the lunch table. He patted your back briefly before pulling away and nodding to the other people sitting at your table. It wasn't until after you introduced him to the girls that you noticed the tall, slender man standing behind him. Your eyes widened at the sight of him. You hadn’t seen him in a while, and even though you knew he was close to Kibum, you hadn’t expected to see him for a while.

                  "Han Geng oppa! I didn't see you there." You quickly apologized for ignoring him and rushed to introduce him to everyone else. You didn't come up and hug him like you had with Kibum, but instead hung back awkwardly. It's been a while since you really talked with Han Geng, and things between the two of you have gotten more awkward since then. You coughed and avoided his gaze.
                  "Ssaem!" Yuri rose to bow to Han Geng. You looked confusedly between them, before Han Geng explained in his soft voice, 
                  "I'm a teacher's assistant for Yuri's Acting Performance class."
                  "Oh," you nodded once. "Well, it's really nice to see you, oppa. We haven't talked in a long time." 
                  Kibum, who was beginning to feel the tense situation, said, "I just came to say hi. I'm going to get food. I'll see you later, right?" You nodded and said goodbye to him, and gave an awkward sort of bob to Han Geng. As Kibum walked away, he waved at you and smiled one of his cute smiles. You swore you heard a few dreamy sighs come from the girls sitting around you, but you ignored it and continued to eat your ramen peacefully.
                  "Sunbae," Miyoung said suddenly. "How do you know so many handsome men?"
                  You choked on the noodle you were slurping. Song Qian pounded on your back as you spluttered, "What?! You mean Kibum and Han Geng oppa?"
                  "Of course! Han Geng ssaem is the smoothest dancer I've ever seen. And his acting is phenomenal as well," Yuri said, gazing off into the distance. 
                  "Your friend Kibum-ssi is really handsome as well," Taeyeon added.
                  "_____ sunbae, are you dating Kibum-ssi?" Sooyeon asked, raising an eyebrow playfully.
                  "What?" you asked, flustered. "No!"
                  "Hmmm," said Sooyoung. "How about Han Geng-ssi?"
                  Your face was redder than the spices in your ramen. "No! No, why are you asking me this?" You hid your face in your hands.
                  The girls laughed lightheartedly. Song Qian shot you a concerned look, and you gave her a half-smile, signaling that you weren't actually offended by their interrogation. But you were grateful—only she understood how sensitive a topic Kibum and Han Geng could be.
                  "I am not dating Kibum, or Han Geng, or Ryeowook. You can have them all!" You declared. They all laughed. 
                  "Sunbae, I might have to take you up on that offer soon," Soonkyu teased. 
                  Suddenly, Taeyeon jumped up after checking her watch. "Damn! It's already time for class. I didn't even notice how quickly time flew. We're going to be late." She exclaimed, distressed. 
                  "Oh no," Sooyeon groaned. "Kim Gyosoonim will be so mad. He hates students that interrupt his class by coming in late…”
                  Noticing their anxiety, you offered, "Hey, I've been here for three years. I know all the shortcuts and stuff. I could take you to the music buildings in a minute's time."
                  "Thank you so much!" Miyoung cried. 
                  "The others and I will clean up here," Song Qian offered. "You guys just go." 
                  The four of you bolted out of the cafeteria. You hurried across the campus, dodging behind buildings and racing through lawns, Taeyeon, Sooyeon, and Miyoung following closely behind. You shouted back apologies to all the students you roughly pushed past. You reached their classroom barely on time. The professor was already there, but he was sifting through his bag, not noticing anything going on around him. 
                  "Go, quickly, before he notices you're late," you hissed at them as you hovered by the doorway. They thanked you quickly and hurried inside. As they safely made it in, you turned away and leaned against the doorway, sighing tiredly. That was close. You walked slowly down the halls of the music building, moving past all the practice rooms, trying to catch your breath. You had always liked this building. You used to come here often, before your life had been turned upside down freshman year. You liked music a lot, and the students that were accepted to SNU's music program were all extremely talented and pleasant to listen to. But after freshman year, you couldn't bear to come back here. As you listened to all the students practicing, you thought back to those happier times.
                 

                  "You, singing?" You laughed. 
                  He grinned back at you. "Just wait. I'm going to sing so well entertainment companies will be dying to sign me."
                  He grabbed your hand and pulled you into one of the practice rooms, quickly closing the door behind you. He turned around and kissed you, still holding your hands.
                  "Yah!" You broke free from his grip and pushed him away, pouting at him. "You're always like that, stealing kisses from me."
                  "I can't help it," he grinned naughtily. "But stay here! Don't run away from me yet." He hurried to the piano at the corner of the room, sat down, and began to play. If you could call it playing—it was more like he was banging on the poor keys. You laughed out loud. 
                  "You call that playing piano?" You walked towards him and hit his head. "That's more like torturing my ears. You're going to get us kicked out of here."
                  "Okay, okay," he said, dodging your hand, which had come dangerously close his head again. "How about I sing for you, my violent, beautiful girlfriend?"
                  He continued to bang on the keys, this time singing along. Or, perhaps, a better way to describe it was shouting? 
                  "There's no other person like you, even if I look around, it's just like that, where else to look for?" He shrieked out some melody as he slammed his fingers down on random keys. You laughed even harder. 
                  "Stop! Please stop! I'm begging you; spare me!" You leaned against him, trying to catch your breath from laughing so hard. 
                  "Oh, mian, mian," he said. But he continued singing in that off-key voice, "Sorry, sorry, sorry, I, I, I, first, for you, for you, for you, I fell, fell, fell, fallen baby!"
                  "Where do you even come up with this stuff?!"
                  "I don't know. It just comes to me, I guess. I can't help it that I'm this naturally talented with music."
                  You laughed again, and kissed the top of his head. You rested your head on top of his, hugging him from behind. You smiled to yourself, hiding the fact that you were actually enjoying his singing.

                  Thinking about it now, the memory still hurt. You stopped short when you realized you had come to the spot where it happened, and your heart twisted painfully. You were torturing yourself, but you looked into the practice room anyway, almost hoping that he would be there. You froze when you realized that someone was indeed there—but not him. Instead, you had walked into another student's practice. You hastened to apologize, but the student had already picked up his violin and begun to play. 
                  The sound that came from his playing was absolutely stunning. You were mesmerized at once, rooted to your spot at the doorway. What he was playing touched your heart. At the slow parts, you felt your heart drifting lazily along with the music, at the fast parts, the rhythm of your heartbeat increased with it. Everything about the world vanished when he played, and all you could do was take in was the man standing before you: the way his cute monolid eyes shut in concentration, the way his lean body moved to the music, the way those adorable dimples appeared on his cheeks as he smiled in satisfaction—everything had you captivated. The thought of him never even once crossed your mind, despite the fact that the last time you stood in this room was with him.
                  And then it ended. The violin player stopped and checked the time, then cursed and hurriedly began to pack his things. You quickly stepped out of the doorway, and ducked against the wall when he rushed out, not even noticing you. You watched him dash away, regret filling your heart.
                  This was the first guy to ever make you forget about him in two whole years…and you didn't even get his name.

 

A/N: Isn't this awkward? hahaha. Sorry, but ever since that incident two years ago, I'm afraid you'll just have to be awkward around other people TT.TT

Anyway, I wonder who this guy could be…^o^ Just wanted to explain a few more things. Idk if they have TAs or student teachers in Korea, but since Han Geng's too old to be a student, I made him one anyway ;; I also don't know the formal titles for Teacher's Assistants, so I gave him the title "ssaem" because that's the more informal way of referring to a teacher in Korea. "Gyosoonim" is what you call college professors in Korea. Uh, what else? I also have no idea what Seoul National University looks like, so I'm making up these things as I go ;; sorry I can't give you real details TT.TT Oh, and the boy in the memory is singing SJ songs~~can anyone guess which ones? And in comes SNSD (I used their Korean names, not their stage names, so Soonkyu is Sunny, Sooyeon is Jessica, and Miyoung is Tiffany. I also didn't include Yoona and Seohyun because they're too young for college at this point)! Love those girls. They're beautiful and talented. I tried to give them majors that would match with what they would do in reality, without being famous. I would have made one of them "your" best friend, but they're not 87-liners, only Victoria is from SMtown~~okay, I think that's it. Thanks for reading~~comment and subscribe please ^o^