Chapter 1

Right Before Your Eyes

 

         "Kibum," you called, banging on his front door with your foot. "Kibum-ah, open the door. These are heavy!"
         You heard footsteps and a click before the door opened to reveal Kibum. He ran his hand through his hair and smiled at you, gesturing for you to come in. "Oh, wasseo?"
         "Of course," you said, sliding past Kibum and placing your bag and the stack of Chocopies you had bought for him and his roommate, Ryeowook, to eat on the kitchen table. Their whole apartment was rather sparse, as most 21-year-old men's are, so you remarked, "You know, you should really spice this place up."
         "Yeah…no."
         You shrugged off his short response. You would end up fixing up the apartment for them anyway, so it didn't matter what he said. You waved at him to come over and eat some of the Chocopies. He sat down and opened the packages while you flitted about his kitchen, pulling out a plate and a cup for him. But when you got to the fridge to pour him some milk, you caught sight of the barren wasteland that was their refrigerator and groaned, "Bummie, what kind of life are you living? You don't even have milk!"
         "Hey, it's not our fault. Ryeowook has a showcase coming up, so he's been too busy. And I don't really do groceries." Kibum said carelessly.
         "I guess we'll just go buy groceries together another day," you sighed while filling up his cup with water from the tap and setting it before him. You leaned against the wall and munched on the Chocopies you bought for them, while he sat and watched you eat.
         "What?" You asked, raising your eyebrow.
         "Nothing," he said finally. He was actually thinking about how much healthier you were looking, with a healthy flush in your cheeks and a genuine smile as you enjoyed your Chocopie. It reminded him of the old times, back when you smiled so much that he was pretty sure he would be blinded each time he had spent time with you. It had been so long since he’s seen you smile like that. But he didn’t mention any of his thoughts, instead saying out loud, "Just…thanks. For all the food and taking care of Ryeowook and me all the time." 
         "I like taking care of you and Wookie," you said with a smile. "You know how much I care about you, and I've come to care about Wookie a lot, as well."
         "Yeah, I noticed. So we decided to get this," Kibum said as he got up and got something from his room. When he returned, he tossed you something shiny. When you caught it, you saw it was a key with a cute, colorful keychain attached that spelled out your name. He explained, "We decided to have a key made for you, so you can come to our apartment any time you want. Ryeowook thought the keychain would be a cute bonus."
         "Liar," you accused. "The keychain was your idea, wasn't it?" You knew Kibum was like that. He never wanted to make himself seem great, and true to himself, he grinned guiltily and looked away. You knew a lot about Kibum—practically everything there was to know—since you had been childhood friends since birth. You got up and hugged him gratefully. "Thank you, seriously. I love spending time with you. You better be careful; I'm going to be here all the time now!"
         He didn't smile like you expected he would, but rather nodded a little unsurely. You ignored it and ped your bag and pulled out your textbook and started reading. The two of you sat quietly for a bit. You were studying to become an anchorwoman or television announcer, so you majored in Communications at Seoul National University (Yes, both you and Kibum worked your asses off to get into Korea's most prestigious university). You studied several things, like English, meteorological and atmospheric sciences, along with taking speech classes. Kibum was majoring in acting at Seoul National University while Wookie majored in the Music Department, specializing in Composition. All three of you were the same age: 21-year-old juniors. You stayed with Kibum until you had finished the chapter you had to read for homework before stretching your back and saying, 
         "I should get going. I didn't bring my laptop, and I have a paper due by the end of this week."
         Kibum got up and grabbed your arm, stopping you from leaving with both his actions and the words, "_____, wait, I have something important to say."
         You sat down slowly and cocked your head curiously. "What is it?" Kibum didn't express himself freely around anyone but you, so whenever he sought a serious talk, it had to be important.
         "I've been thinking that you spend too much time with me and Ryeowook."
         You furrowed your brows. "Is that a problem?"
         "Not with us. But for you, yeah."
         "Kibum," you said exasperatedly. "You're being really contradictory. If you didn't want to spend more time with me, why'd you give me a key?"

         "I do want to spend more time with you," he said insistently. "I just want you to spend time with other people, too."
         "I spend plenty of time with Song Qian." 
         "Hanging out in a dorm with your roommate doesn't count."
         "Alright! I'll try to talk to some of my hoobaes in the Communications department. Good enough?" You asked, getting a little irritated. 
         "No," he said patiently. "I mean other people…as in, other boys."
         You froze. "What?"

         "You heard me. It's time you got a boyfriend."
         "What? No! I don't need a boyfriend!" you protested vehemently.

         “I’ve noticed you’ve been getting better and you’re acting more and more like your old self,” he insisted. “It’s time, _____.”

         “Kibum, no! I’m not ready to do this. I can’t!”
         Kibum ignored your protests and dug through your bag, fishing out a worn sheet of paper. "_____, as your best friend, I seriously think it's time we used this."
         "I have a paper to write," you tried to escape.
         "It's only 5 o'clock. You have time to stay."
         "Wait, Kibum-ah," you said, desperately stalling for time. "If you wanted me to get a boyfriend so badly, why did you give me a key to your apartment?"
         Kibum smiled. "I figured it would be a difficult process, so I thought maybe you would want to come over in case you were having a hard time with your future boyfriend. And Ryeowook offered his cooking services whenever you felt like eating your heart out."
         Though he was making you extremely anxious with all this boyfriend talk, his consideration melted your heart. You threw your arms around him. "Bummie, you're really the best friend I've ever had." 
         He chuckled and gently pulled you off of him. He smoothed out the sheet of paper on the table in front of you. You looked down at it, feeling a million different emotions flood your heart as you looked at the familiar sheet, which was actually a list. 
         "Well, maybe we should review everything in it, before we get started on finding you a boyfriend," Kibum suggested. 

         "You make it sound easy," you grumbled.

         He ignored your complaints and began to read the list out loud.

 

 

 

A/N: Whoot, first chapter! I don't have much to say about this one, since nothing much has happened yet. Enjoy until next time~~