Chapter 21

Right Before Your Eyes

 

            The loud chatter of the staff rang in Kibum's ears as he looked around the room. He breathed in deeply, taking everything in with excitement and determination. He couldn't believe he was finally here, when only a couple of hours ago he had just landed in Gwangju. He had been rushed to his hotel by some staff member, and in twenty minutes he managed to shower and get dressed and find clean underwear. And right now? He was finally making his dreams come true. He felt around his pockets for his phone, wanting to text you and share his excitement, but before he could find it the director clapped his hands to gather everyone's attention.
            "Everyone, everyone, please calm down and be quiet!" The young director called. "Actors, please sit around the table, and production staff, please find somewhere within earshot to sit. We're going to begin the script-reading for the first four episodes."
            Kibum liked the way the director was politely brief and precise. He knew that the director was young and fairly new to the industry, but his work had been highly praised. Kibum wondered for a second what _____ would think of him. 
            "How about we start with introductions? Teamwork is necessary for any decent production. So, I'll go first," the director said with an easygoing grin. "I'm Jay, and I am your head director. I look forward to working with you all."
            The introductions continued around the circular table; every single staff and cast member introduced themselves, most of them taking far too long and choosing facts that were far too useless. Still, Kibum felt intimidated by the large number of professionals—he was just a rookie. He shook the feelings quickly, recalling Han Geng's words.

            You'll have to earn their respect as an actor. Don't let anyone bring you down, Kibum, because you have it in you.

            "How about you introduce yourelf, Im Yoona-ssi?"
            The room rustled with murmurs and whispers. Kibum had heard some popular, rising star was also starring in the show, but he had honestly been too distracted to care much. He assumed that the star was this Im Yoona.

            But celebrity-spotting wasn't his main concern right now. His heart clenched at the sound of that familiar name, but it wasn't at the thought of spending time with some popular new actress. Im Yoona…I haven't heard that name in so long. When _____ had dated him, he had dated the girl at his church, Yoona.
            Everything was different now, but the nostalgia and familiar memories flooded back to him. The chances of his new costar Im Yoona being the same person as his first love Yoona were fairly small. Right?
            He didn't look up from his script. He tried to fend off the waves of long-forgotten emotions threatening to drown him by sorting out his lines, but he couldn't concentrate…and then she started speaking.
            The pretty, willowy young woman stood up, bowing politely with her hand covering the collar of her shirt, keeping her from being too exposed.
            "Annyeonghaseyo, choneun Im Yoona ibnida. Um, this is my first time playing the villain. I'm excited for the challenge and I will work hard to play the best Park Sunyoung possible. Please take care of me."
            Kibum stole a glance up. Her soft eyes were resting on him, and all his fears were confirmed. Honestly, he had known as soon as he heard that voice, but the look in her eyes when he made eye contact with her sealed the deal. Only she had ever looked at him like that. They held each others' gazes, countless unspoken words flowing between them, but their moment was interrupted by the sound of everyone's enthusiastic applause. The others continued with their introductions, but Kibum was too occupied with staring at Yoona. 
            He started when he heard Jay cough. "Kibum-gun, do you want to introduce yourself as well?"
            "Ah, ye." Kibum cleared his throat. "Annyeonghaseyo, choneun Kim Kibum ibnida. This is my debut, but I will work hard. Kamsahamnida."
            The veteran actor sitting next to Kibum nodded in approval in his direction. "Short and sweet. I like it," he said.
            Kibum bowed in thanks, but his thoughts were still on Yoona. She was dressed casually like all the other staff and actors, and her makeup was very light, but he had never seen her look prettier. The years they spent apart had been good to her, Kibum couldn't help but admit.
            Yoona noticed him staring. She offered him a shy smile, but he didn't return it. He looked away without responding, focusing on his script, not noticing the disappointment and hurt that crossed her face. Kibum finished the script-reading to the best of his ability, surprising his cast members. They laughed at the frank way he delivered his lines and sat in appreciative silence at his heartbreaking soliloquies. But as soon as they had finished, Kibum got up and left without a word, trying to escape Im Yoona's gaze.
            "He's talented, but a little rude, isn't he?" the others muttered to themselves and Jay quickly diverted their attention elsewhere with some closing words. No one noticed the sigh that escaped Yoona's lips.
            "Annyeong," he said softly. He ignored his best friend and his hyung, whom he could both see from the corner of his eye, making faces at him and trying to communicate to him by waving their hands around wildly. 
            "Oh, Kibum oppa," she said with a warm smile, holding her sheet music to her chest as she looked up at him. "What are you doing here still?"
            "I wanted to talk to you," he forced himself to say, staring at his hands. "I wanted to…t-tell you that your piano-playing sounded really n-nice in church today."
            He managed to gather enough courage to sneak a glance at her. She still had the warm smile on her face, though her eyes seemed to sparkle a bit more now. "Really?" she asked happily. "Thank you!"
            "And," he cleared his throat gruffly. "I…I was wondering if you would go on a d-date with me."
            "I'd love to!" she said, not hesitating even for a moment. She placed her hand on top of his, stopping him from wringing them any longer. Awkward, shy, fifteen-year-old Kibum felt like his heart was going to explode. He secretly hoped she wouldn't notice how desperately he was sweating in his church clothes, at the same time trying to ignore you and Heechul as you two gave Kibum a standing ovation with pride at his success.


                                                                                                                                   ~*~

            He's gone?
            He's gone…
            And he didn't say goodbye?

            Ryeowook had just looked at you in pity after delivering the news, unsure if he should ask you why your expression was so troubled. You had mumbled your goodbye to him and quickly walked off, not knowing where she was headed. Why didn't he say goodbye?
            Your heart hurt. You wanted to believe he had just been busy, but you couldn't shake the ache in your chest. Not when a part of you nagged that Kibum probably hadn't even thought of you when he was running out after his dreams. Not to mention the possibility of pretty new costars…
            Don't be stupid, the logic in your head scolded. After everything's he's done for you, you're going to doubt his friendship like this?

            Who said anything about friendship? You thought before you realized just exactly what you had said.
            It shouldn't bother you this much, but you hadn't been separated from Kibum in years. He had always been close by, you had always gone to the same school, but now you were miles and miles apart. As you blinked your tears away, you noticed where you had finally ended up.
            Kona. The familiar scent of coffee and bread was comforting, but when you looked around, you didn't see Kibum. You couldn't even find Hyukjae, or any of the other boys. It was probably too early in the morning for them, you figured as you seated yourself in a snug corner of the cafe.
            You rummaged through your bag, looking for your phone—maybe Kibum had called. As you shook your bag, a sheet of crumpled paper drifted out, which you didn't notice. You found your phone, but nothing was there—no texts, no missed calls, no voice mails.
            He's too busy being famous, the bitterness seeped into your thoughts. It is a sad thing, being bitter about a friend's success, but you had your reasons. I won't call him then. He's too busy for me, anyway.
            Simmering in your pettiness and glumly stirring your coffee, your eyes finally caught sight of the fallen sheet of paper. Something was familiar about it…something in the wrinkles, something in that stain…
            That's mine! Your eyes widened. That's my list!
            You grabbed it quickly, pressing it to your beating chest, you heart suddenly racing at the thought of nearly losing it.
            He gave it to me…
            He gave it to me.
You unfolded it and smoothed it out, looking at it bitterly. He gave it to me and all it's caused me was trouble. Stupid, stupid, stupid, you thought, jabbing at the piece of paper with each word. You were too busy abusing an inanimate object to look up even when a shadow fell over you.
            "What did that paper do to you?"
            You almost screamed. "Jeez, Siwon! Don't sneak up on me like that."
            "I've been standing here for at least five minutes," he pointed out, his eyebrows raised.
            "Oh," you said with a weak smile. "Well, sorry then. I was a little distracted."
            "I can see that," he said, returning your smile. "Are you okay?"
            "I'm fine; I'm great." You tried to deter him from asking anymore questions, "What are you doing here?"
            "Getting my morning coffee. What are you doing to that piece of paper?" he added persistently.
            You sighed. Looks like there was no choice but to explain.

                                                                                                                                          ~*~

            "That's…quite the story," Siwon said, raising his coffee cup to his lips before realizing too late that he had finished drinking a long time ago.
            "Nearly an hour's worth of story," you said with a sheepish laugh.
            "That's why Kibum means so much to you," Siwon said contemplatively, more to himself.
            "Yeah," you said, thinking fondly of your longtime friend, your previous anger having abated a bit. "That, and because he's always been my friend, since before I could remember. I've known him before I've known anyone, except my parents."
            "You're going to miss him now that he's gone, aren't you?" 
            You didn't say anything, but Siwon could tell. He stood up, leaning over to offer you his hand. He pulled you up and continued to hold onto your hand, wrapping your fingers in his. He gathered your cups in the other hand and threw them out, tugging you along with him.
            He led you outside towards the rising sun and the warmth of a new day. He turned to you, and your breath caught at how truly handsome he looked with the sunlight highlighting all his best features. 
            "I'm no childhood friend, but I can be here for you, when you need me," Siwon offered, looking almost shy. "We don't have to follow that list. But I'd like to try things with you, just me being me and you being you…can you give us a try?"
            You looked at how perfectly handsome he was. You wondered what it would be like to kiss those lips, to run your hands through that thick hair. You felt his warm hand pressed against yours; you felt the warmth of the sun comforting your back; you felt the thought of second chances warming your heart. You felt all these things and pushed the thought of Kibum to the back of your thoughts. Out of sight, out of mind.
            You smiled and told Siwon sincerely, "I’d like to give us a try, too."

 

A/N: What a horrible chapter, and late too. When I get back to school in two days, I promise updates will come faster and of higher quality. Most people are the opposite, but with school comes a commute and with a commute comes plenty of time to write =) Plus the plot will pick up again so hopefully it won't be such a pain to get out the next chapter LOL. Nothing important to say here. Comment and subscribe<3