Chapter 10

Right Before Your Eyes

 

         "Yiyun," Song Qian said. "Listen to me." Song Qian and her little sister were in Qian's dorm alone, waiting for _____ to get back.
         Eunyoung sighed and reluctantly faced her big sister. "What is it, jiejie?"
         "I think you know what I want to talk to you about."
         "No, I don't. Just get to the point."
         "Stop with the attitude, Yiyun!" Qian snapped. "I'm still your older sister!"
         "I can't believe you!" Eunyoung fumed in return. "You go on about being my sister, but you're not even on my side!"
         Qian sighed and rubbed her temples. "Yiyun, I'm not on anyone's side. I'm just trying to do the right thing."
         "By yelling at your little sister for being in love?" Eunyoung turned her back on Song Qian. "I can't believe you right now."
         "Henry is _____'s. She didn't do anything wrong or underhanded to get him. She didn't even steal him from you! And, they like each other a lot, and ______ needs him more than you understand right now."
         "I don't care!" Eunyoung cried passionately. "Henry was mine. He's always been mine!"
         "Yiyun, I'm telling you to listen to me! If you do anything, you will be the bad guy in this situation! Can you honestly stand to hurt them both?" Song Qian asked urgently.
         "Henry won't be hurting long. And I couldn't care less about your roommate." Eunyoung was acting unlike herself and more like a petulant child, and she knew she was being selfish. Song Qian knew her little her sister was being selfish, rude, irrational, hurtful, illogical…but that's what happens when a girl is in love. Song Qian hardened her heart to her little sister's feelings, despite how she hated to do so. Eunyoung was so young; she didn't deserve this, but Song Qian had to do it, for the sake of all three of them.
         She said in a low, severe voice, "Yiyun, you know none of this would've happened if you'd just been brave enough to confess in the first place. He would've been yours by now, but it's your fault—no one else's—that he's with _____ instead. You have to live with the consequences.”
         Eunyoung's eyes filled with tears. She was a strong girl in everything except when it came to Henry and her family. They all meant too much to her. But when her own sister dared to yell at her about her first love, she couldn’t handle it. Before Eunyoung could open and throw something back at her sister, the door to their dorm swung open and in walked a laughing Kibum and _____. 
         They both fell silent at the tense atmosphere greeting them. "Qiannie, are you alright?" you asked nervously. 
         "It's nothing," she replied uneasily, hoping neither of them overheard what just went on. "Just a sibling fight."
         Eunyoung her heel and left without a single word, not even greeting her elders. Song Qian sighed. "I'll have to get her. I’m sorry about that. It’s nothing to do with you,” Qian lied. “Don't close the door or lock me out; I'll be back soon."
         You nodded and watched somberly as they left. "I hope they're okay," you said.
         "I don't know either of them that well, but siblings always have a way of working things out. Trust me, I would know." Kibum smiled ruefully.
         "Yeah. I've always wanted a sibling." You swallowed thickly at his words, refusing to let any sadness wash over you.
         "You don't need anyone but me," he reassured.
         You couldn't help but smile. Any time Kibum said anything so tender, you felt your heart grow warmer. You knew he was always going to be your best friend, so you took a deep breath and began to confess to him about your nightmare from last night. His eyes and fists tightened when your voice began to shake from the heartache and pain, but he said nothing and just listened carefully.
         "Bummie, I'm scared," you said after you had finished, your eyes searching his as if he held some kind of solution. "I thought meeting Henry would help…but now I'm afraid I rushed into it."
         He pulled you into him, comforting you with his arms and his words, "It'll be okay, _____. Just relax and enjoy yourself. You'll end up with who you should end up with, in the end."
         "I was supposed to end up with him." Your words were muffled into his chest, where you had hidden your face. 
         "_____-ah, just forget him. Let go…"
         "_____ noona?" a new voice popped into the conversation.
You pulled away from Kibum to see who had called your name.          "Henry?" You were surprised to see him standing at your doorway.
         "Noona, I've been looking for you everywhere!" he said, looking genuinely excited to see you. His smile lit up your dorm, and you felt butterflies in your stomach whenever you saw him…but why wasn't it enough?
         You moved away from Kibum to welcome Henry with a tight hug. Kibum cleared his throat and looked away. Henry continued,
         "Do you want to spend some time with me today?"
         You smiled up at him, "Of course I do."
         Henry glanced at Kibum—a glance full of curiosity and confusion and something else Kibum could recognize but didn't want to name.          "Are you sure? What about Kibum sunbae?"
         You looked at Kibum apologetically, your arms still wrapped around Henry's waist, but then teased, "Kibum will miss me a lot, but he'll live, right?"
         "Whatever you say, _____," he replied, his tone faux-offended and his expression light.
         "Yeah!" Henry cheered joyfully, like a child who just got a new toy. "I'll pick you up later then, okay, noona?" 
         You consented and he squeezed you one last time before dashing out again. Kibum looked at you pointedly as you watched Henry leave. "What?" you snapped at him.
         "Nothing, nothing," he said in an airy tone. "But I’m starting to think I don't see any problem here like you were talking about earlier. You like him a lot, don't you?"
         You sighed and leaned against your door wearily as you closed it. "I do. I think he's so cute, and really energetic in a good way, and his Korean is cute, and I like how he calls me noona and of course the way he plays is amazing and—"

         ”_____, this is getting disgusting," Kibum interrupted.
         You kicked his playfully. "Bummie! You didn't let me finish. What I was trying to say was that despite all those things, no matter how much I like him…" you lowered your voice and your eyes. "I just keep thinking about him.”
         Kibum frowned, unhappy at seeing you unhappy, his previous teasing now gone. He ignored his own pain to help alleviate yours. He stood by your side and your hair soothingly, sympathetically, and said, "It'll work out, _____, I promise. I'll make sure you won't ever get hurt. And I'll be here whenever you need anything."
         You gave him a grateful smile, but you just couldn't see how Kibum could protect you from yourself.


                                                                                                                          ~*~


         Outside, hiding behind the door where not even Henry had caught her, Eunyoung took a deep breath to try and steady her throbbing heart. Henry had sounded so happy. He was so happy and she wasn't the cause of it. She leaned her head against the wall, closing her eyes and letting the darkness swallow her. And _____ didn't even deserve him. She was in love with someone else. It was so obvious, why couldn't Henry see that? She may like him, but Eunyoung loved him. 
         And Eunyoung was the one who deserved to be with Henry, not her.

 

                                                                                                                          ~*~

 

         Ryeowook walked into Kona Beans with his hands in his pocket, a bag full of papers and sheet music in his hand and a portable keyboard strapped to his back. He looked around casually, searching for the friends who had been helping him with his spring showcase piece.

         "Ryeowook-ssi!" a voice called. It was the oldest hyung that had called him, the brown-haired one. "Come here," he gestured to the Employees Only room. Ryeowook went inside and saw that Kyuhyun and Sungmin were already there. "Hey!"
         "Yeah, yeah," Kyuhyun said with a grin. Sungmin pushed Kyuhyun and said, "He's so damn rude, all the time. It's nice to see you again, Ryeowook-ssi."
         Jungsu said, "Is it okay if we just call you Ryeowook? We haven't known each other long, but it would be nice to get closer."
         Ryeowook shrugged. "Anything's fine with me!"
         "Good, 'cause I'm not ever gonna be calling you hyung. We're the same age, anyway."
         "Okay, Kyuhyun, just do whatever you want," Wookie said, rolling his eyes.
         "Business!" Jungsu said to get them to stop bickering and to focus. "We should get our act together. Only two months left until the showcase."
         Ryeowook nodded and set down his bag, pulling out all the work they had completed last time they had met. "So, we have the chorus worked out, but we still need to figure out the second verse, the bridge, and the ending."
         He sat down at the keyboard he had brought while Sungmin tuned his guitar and Jungsu set up his saxophone. Kyuhyun sat there and did nothing, because he would just be singing with Ryeowook. 
         Ryeowook asked from his spot at the keyboard, gathering all the papers around him, "Sungmin hyung, would you play me a G chord? I think that would sound good as the first chord of this verse, seeing how the chorus ended with a D."
         "Like this?" Sungmin picked the strings rather than strumming them, so the sound came out softer and sweeter. 
         "Yes!" Ryeowook clapped excitedly. "That sounded great!"
         Jungsu played a jazz scale on his saxophone. "I was thinking that works well in the bridge, as an instrumental section."
         Ryeowook played a few chords to match it and quickly scribbled it all down on the nearest sheet of paper. His hand was trembling in excitement—nothing made him happier than composing and music. 
         Kyuhyun complained, "I'm not doing anything. I want to play and instrument, too!"

         Ryeowook smiled apologetically at his close friend. "Mianhae, Kyuhyun-ah. But I think these three are enough, unless you know how to play drums."
         Kyuhyun shook his head. "Fine. But hurry up and get to the singing parts!"
         The four of them worked hard for the next hour, finishing about half of their work, arguing playfully over what sounded good and what didn't, pretending to beat each other up when someone made a mistake. 
         Jungsu finally got up and stretched his back and arms, putting his saxophone aside. "I don't know about you, but I'm pretty tired right now. Anyone want coffee or food or something?"
         Ryeowook looked up and asked hopefully, "I guess you guys wouldn't really sell cereal here?"
         "No," Jungsu laughed. "But I can grab you some from back here, out of my mom's own secret stash."
         Ryeowook cheered while the others called out requests as well.          "These kids," Jungsu shook his head. "Always telling me to do this and that." But in truth, Jungsu was happy to feed his dongsaengs. They had worked hard. "Umma!" he called, ready to beg for food.
         The others sat back and relaxed for a moment. "So, Ryeowook, anyone special coming to this showcase? Is that why you've been slaving away like this?" Sungmin grinned.
         "Oh, please," Kyuhyun teased. "Ryeowook and a girl? He's been studying way too hard to actually get a girlfriend."
         Ryeowook smacked the back of Kyuhyun's head before answering Sungmin. "Nah, just a couple of my really good friends: my roommate Kibum and our friend, _____."
         "Oh, a girl?" Sungmin asked, perking up.
         "Yeah, and she's really pretty, too," Kyuhyun said.
         "And taken," Ryeowook said, crushing his friends' dreams to pieces.
         Sungmin threw himself onto his back and stared at the ceiling hopelessly. "All the good ones are, usually."
         "Tell me about it," Kyuhyun agreed, mimicking his hyung's actions.
         "Not true," Wookie protested. "There's this cute girl that always likes to talk to me in my Music Department, and I'll bet she has cute friends, too."
         "And you can introduce us?" Sungmin perking up again.
         Kyuhyun added, "These two are getting so old that I’m starting to worry they’ll never meet anyone. And we're always open to meeting pretty girls, Wookie-yah, especially pretty SNU students.”
         "Pretty girls?" Jungsu asked excitedly, dropping the pile of food he had been carrying. The others couldn't do anything but laugh at his pathetic state, as milk and coffee dripped onto his shoes and crumbs and cereal stuck to his shirt.
         "And this is our great hyung," Kyuhyun snickered, as Ryeowook and Sungmin cracked up while looking at poor Jungsu.

 

A/N: [[Is there anyone out there who can make a poster?]] Yay! It only took me five days to update this time. Actually, I wrote this entire chapter today. For some reason, I was just feeling so inspired ^o^ Anyway onto the actual chapter discussion: You can all see how very selfless of a friend Kibum is to You. He's been suffering too, if you can recall, but he pushes it all to side just to make sure you're happy. This shows what a good friend he is and how dedicated he is to you and the people he truly cares about, as few as they are. We finally have another scene with Kibum/You, and things are getting very cosy between them, aren't they? How do they manage not to blur the lines between friendship and love? We'll see how long that will last. I'm wondering what Kibum means when he says he'll make sure she never gets hurt, aren't you? And poor Amber. Y'all must hate her, but she's really hurting. I wonder what she's thinking? Is she planning anything evil? Is she possibly going to try and break them up? Victoria's having a pretty hard time as well, but she's such a good person and innate leader that she's just trying to do the right thing for everyone. And our sweet, naive Henry<3 All he sees is You! But he's starting to notice something else, if you've picked that up. Things are getting more and more complicated! But I think it's part of Henry's nature to be so kind and non-aggressive. But I also think it's part of Henry's nature to stand up for what he wants and what he believes in, in this story and in real life. I'd like to see how he handles things. It's too bad I didn't get to write their date, but this chapter was already getting too long. It'll be in the next one ;DDD

OKAY. now that business is over...OMG WHO HAS SEEN 'I LOVE ITALY'?!?!?!?! The first two episodes are out with subs on YouTube...I haven't bothered checking any other sources though. I haven't started, SO NO ONE GIVE IT AWAY, but I'm super excited to start. Based on gifs I've seen on tumblr, Kibum has really stepped out of his comfort zone and totally gotten into character<3 I'm soooo proud of him as an actor<3333 and i haven't even watched i yet! 

Okay guys! thanks so much for reading<3 I can't believe we're already on my tenth chapter! 11 subcribers, 350+ views...thank you all so much<3 Please, every comment and subscription mean so much, so please keep them up :DDD<3