Chapter 16

Right Before Your Eyes

 

            "'Cause I can't stop thinking 'bout you girl!"
            Music blasted over the speakers in the hall, and you tried very hard to focus on the opening dance performance. You recognized the university's resident dance teacher and moderator of SNU's dance team, leading his team in a powerful, charismatic dance, matching the song's pounding beat. You raised your eyebrow in pleasant surprise. You haven't been out to any school events in a long time, so you haven't seen them perform before. You weren't expecting them to be so good.
            Quickly the song changed, as did the dancers' movements and expression. The song was comical, as was their dance. You felt yourself relax as you laughed along with Eunyoung and the rest of the audience. By the time they had taken their final bows, you were on your feet, clapping enthusiastically. 
            "They were so good," Eunyoung couldn't help but gush to you.
            You nodded, smiling widely at the retreating dancers. You cheered for them more loudly, thankful that they had gotten you to relax.
            The showcase continued, performing arts students displaying their skills in all sorts of dance, music, and acting. When it was time for Ryeowook's turn, you jumped to your feet and hollered, causing him to grin slightly and shake his head at you in embarrassment. He introduced his piece and the Kona boys, who looked more dressed up and clean than you had ever seen them. They all captured the audience immediately, from the moment Kyuhyun opened his mouth to the moment Ryeowook played the final note. Your eyes scanned the room, memorizing the audience's stunned reactions to recount to Wookie later. You caught sight of Jongwoon sitting next to Han Geng near the back, nodding his head in approval. When Ryeowook took his bows, you cheered extremely loudly for them, surprised when you heard someone cheering even louder than you.
            It was the platinum blonde clerk from Kona. You wondered why he was here; was he really that close with the boys? He caught sight of you staring and grinned playfully at you, his gums showing. You quickly looked away. Who did he think he was? Just because he took your order a few times, he thought you guys were best friends?
            You puzzled over the blonde boy for the next few performances, distracted until Henry stepped onstage. Automatically, you chanted his name at the top of your lungs. He spotted you easily, waving his violin bow slightly in your direction. You smiled at him and glanced at Eunyoung, who was looking at you in turn, an unreadable expression on her face. Your attention was diverted when Henry's backup music started. 
            You were shocked when Henry began to dance. Since when did Henry dance and play violin at the same time? His fingers flew over the violin's neck, his bow moving just as lithely as he smoothly danced across the stage. Each time he successfully completed a complicated move or difficult section of the song, the audience applauded. You were shocked. He never danced when he practiced with him. You were proud of him—and you smiled at the thought that he was all yours.
            Briefly, you wondered if Eunyoung knew he was planning this. You stole another glance at her, and your heart fell when you saw the look on her face—it was the look you had always seen on his face. Eunyoung liked Henry—more than she should. You watched the rest of Henry's performance in a subdued manner, feeling like a terrible person. When he finished he took an extra long bow in your direction, and you clapped wildly for him, but something in your heart nagged that maybe he wasn't bowing to you, but rather the girl next to you.
            You tried to shake the thought. You wanted to be able to concentrate for Kibum's performance. His monologue, perhaps, was the one you most looked forward to.
            He was the last act. You wondered for a moment if Han Geng had anything to do with that, but your thoughts were abruptly interrupted when Kibum confidently walked onstage. He took his time making his way to the center. His hair was styled carefully—thanks to you—and his clothes were stylishly picked and neatly washed and ironed--thanks to Ryeowook.
            God, he looked so grown up. You recalled the quiet boy back from high school, who dressed simply and talked little. That Kibum was gone, but you didn't mind, not when this confident, impressive young man had replaced him. You smiled unconsciously in anticipation. You knew he would be the best.
            "Annyeonghaseyo, choneun Kim Kibum ibnida." He bowed, and when he straightened up, he flashed his most charming smile. The audience immediately began to clap.
            You shook your head, grinning. You heartbreaker, Kim Kibum. One smile and he had the audience drooling at his feet.
            Kibum stared out at the audience. He knew that you were there, but he didn't try to find you. It would only distract him. He took a deep breath and pictured you in his head instead; the pretend you was a lot easier to face. There was no doubt in his vision of you, no boyfriend. Only you and your beautiful face, there was no painful past haunting you, there was only you and your smile and every happy memory you had together. His eyes closed, he began to speak.
            “You know when I said I knew little about love? That wasn’t true. I know a lot about love. I’ve seen it, centuries and centuries of it, and it was the only thing that made this world bearable. All those wars—pain, lies, hate—it made me want to turn away and never look again.”
            The Kibum he was pretending to be let the pain run through him. The real Kibum would never let the past destroy him, never let anyone cause him pain, but this pretend Kibum infused every word with his memories, the heartbreak he felt when his first love had dumped him.
            "I bought it for you," Kibum said, a shy smile gracing his youthful face.
            She played with the ring in her hand for a moment, watching it sparkle against her pale skin. Then she quietly gave it back to him, placing the ring in his palm and folding his hands over it. 
            "I'm sorry," she said softly. "But I can't accept this."

            Oh, yes. Kibum knew the cruelty of being human. He took every emotion that he had felt when she left him, when the kids at school mercilessly for being too quiet, when his hyung Heechul hurt him…he let every painful emotion wash over him and enter the pretend Kibum, so that the pretend Kibum's eyes dimmed with sadness, his shoulders lowered hopelessly.
            He continued his monologue, “But when I see the way that mankind loves...you could search to the furthest reaches of the universe and never find anything more beautiful.” 
            Here, as Kibum spoke the words with his perfect pronunciation and enunciation, he let the words sink deep into his heart. He thought of the one person that had given him hope at the most difficult times in his life. As he spoke, he pictured the twelve-year-old you slapping the boys who dared to bully him across the face, sitting with her chin raised defiantly as their teacher disciplined her. He pictured you bad-mouthing his first love as he sat next to you, feeling miserable yet wanting to laugh at the same time. He remembered how you had cried with him, how you had been with him from the very beginning, how you were still with him today, sitting somewhere in front of him. He knew how proud you must be of him, and his gratitude and affection for you overflowed into his acting, so that pretend Kibum's eyes brightened and his voice changed.
            “So yes, I know that love is unconditional. But I also know that it can be unpredictable, unexpected, uncontrollable, unbearable and strangely easy to mistake for loathing, and...” 
            He only thought of you as he acted. You smiling at him, you pinching his cheeks, you laughing at him, with him, you smacking his arms, you resting on his shoulder, you squeezing him in a hug for no reason, you crying your heart out, you turning into a desperately sad person, you slowly healing, you being you. 
            “What I’m trying to say is...I think I love you. Is this love? I never imagined I'd know it for myself. My heart...it feels like my chest can barely contain it. Like it’s trying to escape, because it doesn't belong to me any more. It belongs to you. And if you wanted it, I’d wish for nothing in exchange."
            And here, Kibum unconsciously let the real Kibum show, forgetting his character, speaking the words he was meant to say. For a moment, the audience faded, and all he could see was the real you—not the image of you he had dreamed up in his head—waiting for him, a small smile on your face as he poured his heart out.
            “No gifts. No goods. No demonstrations of devotion. Nothing but knowing you loved me, too. Just your heart, in exchange for mine.”
            Kibum was breathing shallowly by the time he finished. He cleared his throat, blinking as he caught sight of the dead silent audience that had suddenly appeared in front of him.
            There were a few sniffles and more throat-clearing.
            Kibum bowed awkwardly, stepping back to go back to his seat. And then they were on their feet, applause roaring like thunder. Kibum smiled again, his smile charming the spectators even more. 
            You could barely clap your hands. You were too busy fighting tears. You were so, so proud of him—this was the best you had ever seen him act. Your best friend was accomplishing his dream after suffering so much, and you couldn't be happier for him. You couldn't remember the last time you had felt so happy.
            Eunyoung was watching you again. She caught you wiping your tears away and wondered to herself what made you cry. It wasn't even a sad monologue. 
            "Unni," a girlish voice came from behind you.
            "Yeah?" You turned around to see Miyoung beckoning to you.
            "Let's go congratulate them!"
            "O-oh, ne!" You quickly collected yourself. You turned to Eunyoung and offered, "Do you want to see Henry and your sister?"
            She nodded enthusiastically, and you led her through the maze backstage. You finally spotted Henry, sitting with his violin case in his lap. 
            "Henry!" You and Eunyoung called together.
            Eunyoung raced up to him before you could, strangling him in a bear hug. He chuckled and swung her around in the air for a moment. They began conversing in Chinese and you watched quietly, understanding how it felt to be with a best friend. You tried not to let the jealousy eat at you as Henry continued to not notice you.
            "Well, look who it is!" a voice said. You turned around and smiled when you saw Kyuhyun walking towards you.
            You went up to him and teased, poking his collared shirt. "Now, don't you clean up nice?"
            "Not as nice as you clean up," he answered.
            "Step away, Cho Kyuhyun," Ryeowook said with a laugh, casually tossing his jacket over his shoulder. "Her boyfriend's back here somewhere."
            "I was just being polite!" Kyuhyun protested. The other guys came jostling up, begging for attention like puppies. You remembered that your friends were back here somewhere. You caught sight of Soonkyu's short blonde hair and called her and the rest of them over. You grinned as the boys immediately all shut up with their teasing and watched in disbelief as they tried to look cooler. 
            "What, Cho Kyuhyun? Cat got your tongue? Why don't you try to charm her like you try to charm me?" You needled him, faking offense.
            "That's different," Kyuhyun mumbled, staring at the ground as the girls approached. "No offense, _____."
            "What, no 'noona'?"
            "We're the same age!" Kyuhyun insisted. "You, me, Ryeowook, Kibum—we’re the same age!"
            "Arasso, arasso," you said, ruffling his hair. He shoved your hand away and nervously rearranged it. You smirked at his shyness. It was like he was in middle school or something—you didn't see what was so special about SNU girls. You waved your friends over to make then come faster, and as you watched them approach, you had to admit that at least these SNU girls were pretty damn special.
            "Hey guys!" You gestured to the Kona boys. "You remember these oppas, right?"
            They giggled and nodded, eyeing them, undoubtedly sizing them up. The boys shifted underneath their gazes, trying to remain cool.
            Sooyeon suddenly piped up, "Where's Jongwoon sunbaenim?"
            "In the audience," Ryeowook explained. "Probably talking to the different students and guests."
            Sooyeon purse her lips and remain silent. You coughed awkwardly then said, "Well, this is Kyuhyun, and Sungmin oppa, and Jungsu oppa, and you already know Ryeowookie."
            "But don’t mind them," Kyuhyun informed, "They're old anyway. Me, on the other hand…"
            The girls burst out laughing. 
            "Unni, you really do know the handsomest people," Sooyoung whispered to you.
            "What, these fools?" You scoffed. You glanced at them, taking a look at how well they cleaned up. You softened, happy they did this for Ryeowook. They deserved some fun. "I guess they're alright."

                                                                                                                                     ~*~

            Kibum couldn't get away. He just wanted to find you, tell you what his monologue made him realize, but the scout and Han Geng kept talking and talking. He forced himself to calm down and patiently listen to their talking, for Han Geng's sake at least.
            "…and we really believe you would be perfect for this part," the scout was saying.
            "Uh, ne?" Kibum asked, confused.
            "Your acting was very raw and emotional, in the best possible way," the casting scout said, giving Kibum a thorough up-down. "We haven't seen talent like yours in a while."
            "Thank you," Kibum bowed politely.
            Han Geng smiled proudly. "So you'll hire him?"
            The scout nodded. "Here's a few script drafts, so you can get a feeling for it. We'll need you to sign a contract, sometime later. Filming will be starting immediately. You'll be playing one of the leads, Hyunmin, if you agree, that is."
            The weight of the scripts felt suddenly heavy and real in his hands. Kibum gazed at the script in wonder, then he moved his stare to the scout.
            The scout chuckled. "It's a bit much, but I think you'll be great. And, who knows? This could be your big break."
            The scout left his number and the drafts in Kibum's hand before bowing a leaving. After watching him go, Han Geng grasped Kibum tightly, pounding his back roughly in affection. 
            "Can you believe it?"
            Kibum couldn't speak.
            "Did you know who that was?" Han Geng asked, shaking him. "He was a scout from SBS. If you accept that part, you'll be a success, for sure. You are going to accept it, right?"
            "Of course," Kibum said, hoarsely.
            Han Geng grinned widely, as if his own son were casted in a huge drama. "It's a lot to take in. Go ahead, breathe deeply, have some fun, relax. Then I'll see you tomorrow, and we'll go work out your contract together, alright?"
            Kibum just nodded.
            Han Geng laughed before patting him on the back and leaving. Kibum stood still for a moment before finding his backpack and carefully tucking the scripts into them. He hoisted his bag onto his back and set out to find his friends. He needed to celebrate or scream or something.
            He quickly spotted you with the rest—the whole lot of you were easily the loudest in the whole building. He headed over, watching you all laugh together. He stopped for a moment, watching you toss back your hair as you laughed. He smiled to himself and sneaked up behind you and asking in his low voice, "What brings you here?"
            You jumped and shrieked slightly. When you saw who it was, you quickly threw your arms around him and jumped up and down excitedly. "You were so, so good!" You cried. "I was practically sobbing, I swear! Kibum jjang!"
            Sungmin was about to make a jealous remark about not getting a congratulations like that, but Ryeowook shook his head and put a hand on his arm. The rest of the group took the hint and subtly stepped away, giving the two friends their moment.
            "Thanks for coming," Kibum said, simply reveling in the sensation of holding you.
            "Of course," you said, looking up at him with adoration in your eyes. "You're amazing. I'll be front row at every single one of your shows. I promise."
            He didn't answer, just hugged you tighter, completely forgetting what happened with the scout just minutes before.

                                                                                                                                     ~*~ 

            Henry looked up from his conversation with Song Qian and Amber to notice that both the main hall and the backstage area were practically empty. He grinned, surprised that time had flown by so quick while talking to his two close friends. He suddenly caught sight of you talking to Kibum, arms still wrapped around him. He frowned.
            What the hell. She didn't even say hi to me yet. Is Kim Kibum really that much more important?
            Eunyoung noticed Henry frown and followed his gaze. She also saw you with Kibum and thought with a grin,
            Perfect.

 

A/N: So sad these got deleted. My longest chapters ever haha. Good thing I had it all saved on Word. Idr what my author's note was, so hopefully it wasn't too important XD Four more chapters to add...! :DDD Hopefully the originals will come back ^^;; But I wrote three chapters while AFF was down and I don't want to have to wait for more restoration before I add the new updates. Anyway, continue reading~~