Chapter 28

Right Before Your Eyes

Life went on.

If it weren't for Kibum, life might've stopped right there for you, but Kibum was your shoulder to lean on, your shield to protect you from the world, and though he returned to filming soon, you found other ways to keep going--because of Kibum. Most of all, you visited Heechul's grave more often, at least once or twice a week.

 

Most people would find it very unhealthy for a living person to spend so much time among the dead, but for you, it was the start of a healing process. You had spent two long painful years in silent grief, and now you found you could face your sorrow and regrets, starting by talking to Heechul.

 

You kneeled near his headstone, running your hand absentmindedly over the grass that had sprouted above his grave. "Chullie, I don't think I'll ever forgive myself for treating you like that. I wish we could've had a second chance…"

 

You looked up at the sky, not seeing the clouds that drifted across your vision. Instead, you could almost see his face, his cheeky smile. You couldn't imagine his voice thoughcouldn't imagine his voice telling you that he forgave you, because you couldn't imagine being forgivable.

 

"Maybe one day," you whispered, placing a kiss on your hand then brushing your fingers across the spot where his name was engraved. You got up and brushed yourself off and walked away, your hand in your purse, your fingers settling against the worn pages of his letter that was tucked deep in your bag, like it always was.

 

And when you weren't at Heechul's grave, or on the phone with Kibum, you were with Hyukjae, watching him in his dance rehearsals. He made you happier than nearly any other man had, even when you had to watch him dance with the likes of Kwon Boa.

 

And boy, did Boa try her best to come between you two. Every dirty trick in the book was played on Hyukjae.

 

"Hyukjae-yah, do you think I'm moving my hips right?"

"Hyukjae, do you think my outfit's too tight for dancing?"

"Are you busy tonight, Hyukjae, or can we practice together?"

 

Right in front of you, all day every day. If it weren't for Hyukjae's reassurances, you would've exploded, or worse--made her explode.

 

As he walked you back to your dorm after rehearsals, he would tell you, "You know I really, really like you, right?"

 

You would smile at him and lace your fingers between his, "I know."

 

"I really like you a lot. I like talking with you, I like dancing for you, I like when we sit down for coffee and try every item on the menu…and I reallly like kissing you."

 

He would over, stopping you in your tracks and place a soft kiss on your lips, on your cheek, on your forehead, then sneak a sly kiss on your neck.

 

Sometimes you would push him away, and ask with a crease furrowing your eyebrows, "What about Kwon Boa?"

 

"Kwon who?"

 

You would slap his arm playfully, "The one who nearly had you drooling when you met!"

 

"Oh, her?" Hyukjae would wrap his arm around your shoulders, pulling you extra close. "It was a slight moment of being star-struck. When you get to know her, she isn't that great. Did you see how weird she was acting today?"

 

And you would laugh and lean against him, continuing your peaceful walk home with him, joking and poking fun at the way Boa would desperately throw herself at Hyukjaeand Hyukjae would join in just as eagerly.

 

Hyukjae was a comfort. He was warm and romantic and silly and y all at once, and it made you forget. It wasn't the same as talking to Kibumother people just couldn't understand what it felt like to lose Heechulbut he tried his best to do what he could, and he was always willing to let you cry after a particularly painful visit to Heechul's grave.

 

Sometimes, you would pull out Heechul's letter and list and read his wordswhich you memorized long agoand wonder if Hyukjae was the kind of guy Heechul would want for you. More than once, you considered taking Hyukjae to visit Heechul's grave with you, but in the end you always backed out of asking him. It was still a sore spot, your biggest regret and the saddest moment in life and you weren't quite ready to share it. Somehow, it didn't feel right bringing Hyukjae there.

~*~

Meanwhile, Kibum's drama was skyrocketing to amazing heights of popularity. For a drama that starred a rookie actor, the ratings were very high. Sure, Yoona's fans drew up quite a majority of the audience, but many of the comments on the drama's forum centered around the talented and handsome lead actor, Kim Kibum.

 

He's so cute…where did he come from and where can I find one?

 

Kim Kibum is going to be more popular than Won Bin one day~

 

His character is my favorite ^^

 

I hope he goes on some varieties soon!!

 

Kibum didn't spend much time reading the feedback; he was just pleased that the overall reaction to his performance was so positive.

 

"Hyung, did you really watch last night's episode?"

 

Han Geng smiled on the other side of the line. "Of course I did! I always do."

 

"What'd you think?" Kibum asked, fighting to keep the anxiety out of his voice. Han Geng was practically his older brother now, and he was especially important to Kibum since he had been Heechul's absolute best friend. He never told Han Geng, but his opinion mattered more to him than anyone else'sexcept for maybe _____'s.

 

"Absolutely fantastic," Han Geng affirmed. "I taught you well, didn't I?"

 

Kibum rolled his eyes, but he couldn't stop feeling pleased. "Yeah, right, it was all you," he said, sarcasm dripping from his voice.

 

Geng laughed, leaning back into his chair, holding his phone close. "In all seriousness, I'm so proud of you, Kibum. I know Heechul would be too. He would probably be personally offended that you've gotten so good at acting."

 

Kibum smiled, remembering how competitive his older brother would get. "Yeah, he would've."

 

Han Geng was smiling back in his office at SNU as well, but his smile was a lot more sad. He rested his gaze on a framed picture sitting at his desk. Heechul had his arms around Han Geng's neck, as if he were trying to strangle him, but both their smiles were wide, laughs echoing on their faces. Kibum had taken their picture when they had graduated from college together. Han Geng, much like _____, struggled with Heechul's death.

 

"I have to go now, Kibum-ah," he said.

 

"Alright. I'll call you later, hyung."

 

They hung up, and Geng picked up the picture and packed it into his suitcase, giving his old friend one last sad smile.

 
~*~
 
"Yoona-yah," Kibum called out. "Come here for a minute?"
 
"What do you want, Kim Kibum?" she asked with a playful smile.
 
"It's oppa to you," he responded, just as playfully.
 
Yoona rolled her eyes, "Okay, seriously, what do you need?"
 
"I just wanted to go over this one scene," Kibum gestured to the script sitting in front of him. "Our kiss scene."
 
The end of their drama was drawing near, and the filming of the twentieth and final episode would commence tomorrow. At long last, their characters reconciled their differences and fell in love, and that meant a kiss scene, no matter how hard Yoona's ahjussi fans protested. 
 
"Ah," Yoona said, her expression faltering. "the kiss scene."
 
Kibum studied her face, "Yeah. I just wanted to make sure you would be okay with it."
 
Yoona feigned a smile. "Shouldn't I be asking you that, oppa? I was the one who broke up with you."
 
"And you never let me forget it," Kibum grinned. 
 
Yoona ignored his smile and turned to Kibum with sadness in her eyes. She looked like a princess in distress, with her full makeup and costume on. "Kibummie, couldn't you give us one more chance—give me one more chance?"
 
He took her hand in his, and she jumped at the contact. He had never touched her unless a scene had required it...she wasn't used to the warmth of his hand. "Yoona, I cared for you very much a long time ago...but so much has changed. I am not the boy I was then, and you are not the girl you were then. That doesn't mean I don't care for you any longer; after all, we've known each other for ten years. But I love someone else, and I will always love her. I can't ever love you the way I love her, and giving us a second chance wouldn't be fair to you or me."
 
Yoona looked him intently in the eye. Was this what it felt like to be heartbroken—to be unable to decide whether to laugh or cry or break down or run away? "Just tell me one thing, oppa: when we act together, is it her you think of?"
 
Kibum simply nodded, and a beautiful smile that did not belong to Yoona stretched across his face.
 
"Then she is lucky to be the object of such emotion." Yoona slipped her hand out of his grip. "I'll see you later when we film, but for now...I think I want to be alone."
 
Kibum grabbed her arm as she turned to walk back towards her dressing room. "I said I couldn't give you the kind of love you deserve, but I think I know someone who can. My friend, Jehyun, works the lights, and he thinks your the most wonderful person on the planet. In fact, he's right over there..."
 
 
~*~
 
That's the last of it, Han Geng confirmed to himself. He scanned his room once again, checking to make sure he hadn't left behind anything vital. Underwear, toothbrush, hair brush...
 
He walked into his bedroom and made sure he hadn't left behind any of his favorite pictures. Once he had thoroughly scanned the place, he nodded to himself and wheeled his suitcase out the door, shutting the door to his apartment for the final time.
 
He sent a quick message and then hurried down the stairs to catch a train.
 
____, please meet me in my office in thirty minutes. It's really important.
 
 
Thirty minutes later...
 
You walked into Han Geng's office. You had already knocked three times, but no one had answered. You were surprised when you saw that his office was completely empty—there was nothing there but a completely empty shelf, desk, and a picture fram which was facing away from you. Was this a joke? Why would Han Geng call me to his office and not be here? You wondered to yourself. Cautiously, you stepped towards the picture frame, thinking there might be a note for you on it or something.
 
Your heart clenched when you saw it was a picture of Han Geng and Heechul.
 
"You're just everywhere I go, aren't you, Chul?"
 
"He had a tendency of being like that, right? Always up in your business, exactly where you didn't want him to be."
 
You jumped at the sound of Han Geng's voice. 
 
"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you," he said with his trademark gentle smile. You had forgotten how gentle he truly was—the complete opposite of his best friend, Heechul. "I just wanted to talk to you one last time, before I left."
 
"You're leaving?"
 
"Yup," he answered, gesturing to the suitcase you hadn't even noticed he had been carrying. "I'm actually gonig to catch a plane right after this. I just wanted to stop by my office and pick up that picture, so I figured it would be a good place to meet you while I was at it."
 
You looked at him, confused. You turned to face him, reaching out to hand him his picture. He took it with a sad smile.
 
"I loved him, you know."
 
The words stung your heart. "He loved you too," you whispered, looking down. "You were his best friend, and you were always there for him."
 
He smiled sadly, "It's the least I could do for the one I loved."
 
You looked at him sharply, hearing something familiar in the way he said those words—he said them in a tone which you had often used when you were talking to Heechul, before the relationship went to hell.
 
He smiled somewhat wryly. "Yes, I loved him the same way you loved him."
 
You gasped. "What? All this time?"
 
"As long as I'd known him," Geng said, kneeling on the ground and pering his suitcase. "That's why I can't stay here anymore. For two whole years, I've been stuck here, teaching, because this is where he was, this is where we were together. But after watching Kibum grow as an actor, I realized this is not Heechul would want for me. He would want me to move on and keep going and become a better actor than him...I just can't do it here. Korea means nothing without Heechul, so I'm going home to China and I'm going to try my luck acting over there."
 
You felt terrible. Han Geng had deserved Heechul more than you ever did; he had never left Heechul's side, never walked away from him; he had been there whenever Heechul had needed him...and you had not.
 
"Did he know?" you managed to croak out.
 
"He knew I didn't like you one bit," Han Geng said with a chuckle, gently placing the frama between his clothes, where it wouldn't break. "He was smart; he probably knew the reason why I couldn't stand you. But he never mentioned it. He only had eyes for you, no matter what I tried to do to change that. I'm sorry about that, by the way. I should've known that if Heechul cared about you, you had to be a good person. And if Kibum still cares about you..."
 
He trailed off, glancing up at you warily, but you were too focused on his words about Heechul.
 
"I—I never knew you felt that way. I had no idea why you hated me so much," you stammered, still shocked over his revelation. 
 
"Now you know," Han Geng said, zipping up his suitcase and standing up, brushing off his knees. "But that's not why I wanted to talk to you. I wanted to tell you not to do the same thing I did."
 
He walked over to you and stood right where he could look deeply into your eyes. "Don't ever be afraid of telling the people you love, that you love them. I had a good time with Heechul—the best time of my life. But I never let him know I felt, and it kills me every day." He grabbed your shoulders urgently. "When you've found the person you love more than anyone, nothing is worse than letting that feeling rot away inside you."
 
"Wh-why are you telling me this?"
 
He looked down on you with a wise, but pitying look. "I think you'll understand soon enough. Just don't mistakes when it comes to love. When you find that someone, hang on and never let go."
 
He glanced up at the clock. "I have to go, or I'll miss my plane. Remember what I said, okay, _____? Sometimes love is right before your eyes. Don't be so stupid that you let it get away."
 
And with a turn on his heel and a roll of his wheels, he was out the door, suitcase in hand.
 
What the...
 
Dazed and overwhelmed by the onslaught of information, you wandered out of Han Geng's office. Maybe he knew about Hyukjae? But how could he? And why would he feel that it would be so urgent to talk to you? Was talking to you so important that he made it the last thing he would do in Korea? 
 
And most of all, did Kibum know?
 
 
 
 
A/N: Oh my god, it's been six months since I've updated. i'm so sorry...thank you to all the people who still care enough to read. Thank you to everyone for your continued support. Genuinely, you guys are the only reason I'm bothering. It's been hard for me to remember what's happened, so I had to go back and read everything I've written. If you have any questions about the story, just ask and I'll be glad to refresh your memories. It is my fault, after all...
 
Anyway, I hope this wasn't too weird of a plot twist. I ship HanChul so hard and their story breaks my heart...anyone could see that they were truly best friends, but they got torn apart and god knows where they stand now. It's heartbreaking. I knew from the moment I started this story that I had to include HanChul in it.
 
This chapter was rushed...it's been sitting half-finished in my notes forever. I finally churned it out for you guys and I can't bear to look at it again, so hopefully you can forgive any mistakes you see. If anyone is still out there, please leave me a comment. I would love you more than anything if you did!
 
And I swear it won't take me another six months to update. I swear it'll be WAY less. Only a few more chapters to go!