Chapter 26

Right Before Your Eyes

 

A/N: These are all memories, but they are not italicized to spare your eyes, and they are written in plain old past tense to spare your brains. Also, I didn't put the page breaks in the center, because there were just way too many of them for me to work with. Sorry, guys!

 

"One, two, three—go!"
"Girl!"
"Boy!"

"Ahhh!" your mother squealed. "Do you know what that means?! Our kids can get married!"

"Oh, my goodness, my daughter with your son," Mrs. Kim squealed in return. "It's perfect. It's like fate!"

The two expecting mothers clasped hands and started squealing together. Heechul—then five—toddled over to his mother and began tugging on her pants.

"Umma," he said. "Umma. Umma. Umma. Umma!"

"Yes," she said, exasperated. "I really hope my daughter isn't like you, Kim Heechul."

"Umma!" The little boy whined.

"Oh, my baby," she said scooping into her arms and onto her lap. "I was only joking. Umma loves you very much. Tell umma what's wrong."

"Are you bringing me a brother and sister?"

Mrs. Kim glanced at your mother. "Just a little sister, Heechul-ah—your very own dongsaeng. But, if you want, you can have a little brother as well. You must treat their new baby as well as you would treat your own dongsaeng, arasso?"

Heechul nodded solemnly. "Will we get to play a lot?"

"Every day, if that's what you want," your mother said with a laugh. 

"I'll be a good oppa and hyung," he said resolutely, nodding his little head, already so handsome with his shining dark hair, bright eyes and mischievous smile.

"As long as they'll play with me."

"Of course they'll play with you, Heechullie. We'll be just like a family."

Heechul smiled a beautiful smile, much like his mother's, before sliding off his mother's lap and running outside with his toys.

"Poor Heechul," his mother lamented. "He's so lonely. He always plays in his own little world by himself. He doesn't like the other kids much."

"I wish I had a child his age for him to play with as well," your mother sighed, feeling genuinely sorry for the young boy. It must be hard to be so young and so alone.

"He'll have his dongsaeng, and your son," Mrs. Kim told your mother. "He'll be okay. I know he will."

~*~
 

"Yah!" Nine-year-old Heechul screeched. "Walk faster!"

"Hyung," little Kibum panted. "You're going too fast."

Heechul snorted. "Look, _____ already caught up! Sometimes I think you were actually born the girl and her the boy."

"That's how I was s'posed to be, oppa," you said, the air whistling through your missing front teeth as you spoke. "I was s'posed to be the boy, and Bummie was s'posed to be the girl!"

"I know," Heechul said, rolling his eyes a bit. "I was there when both of you were born." But he couldn't be harsh, not to you. He had been expecting a little sister and had even practiced playing with dolls so he could be a good oppa, but when you had popped out of the wrong mother, he had decided that he would still be the best oppa possible, even if his little sister didn't share his blood.

Kibum finally climbed to the top of the hill, bending over and gasping for air. 

"Kibum-ah, you need to learn to move more quickly," Heechul scolded. He scolded his dongsaeng a lot—more than he probably should. But their mother's wish came true: Kibum was nothing like Heechul, and it confused poor Chullie. He was convinced he needed to make Kibum more like in order to help him survive. 
Still, Kibum adored Heechul, as most little brothers adored their hyungs. He did everything Heechul asked, even though inside he was a lot more quiet and shy than him. He wanted his hyung's approval more than anything, so when Heechul scolded him this time, he hung his head and mumbled,

"Sorry, hyung."

Heechul's heart went out to the little boy. He didn't like his classmates much, but he loved his brother and "sister" more than anything. He had played with them more than he had played with anyone else when he was younger, even though they pulled his hair and chewed on his books and pooped and peed and threw up everywhere.

He patted the younger boy's head. "It's okay,” he said, and Kibum's face lit up with a smile that made him look so much like their dad. Beautiful smiles ran in the Kim family. He continued, "We're here now anyway. Look!" He cried, throwing his arms out wide. "We can see all of Korea from here! I can even see Seoul!"

In truth, the hill they climbed was a very small hill, but to their young eyes it was a peak higher than the Himalayas. You craned your neck, trying to spot those city lights you'd heard Heechul speak so much about.

"Where? Where?!"

Heechul threw an arm around your shoulder and squatted down so you were eye-level with each other. He leaned close to your tiny four-year-old head, pointing, "There, don't you see it? The lights are twinkling, just a little bit!"

Heechul had a soft spot for you for more than the simple reason of you being a girl. The truth was you were more like him than Kibum was, even at your young age: you had the same way of talking as him and seeing the world through his fourth dimension. Kibum was similar, but while you preferred to ask Heechul thousands of questions on every possible topic, Kibum stayed quiet and listened. Heechul loved talking with you, while he loved talking at his brother. It was a different kind of love he held for each of the toddlers.

"Oppa, did you pack food?" You asked suddenly, after you gave up on trying to find Seoul.

"Of course I did!" He said. He was responsible when it came to his two precious dongsaengs. All four parents trusted Heechul with you and Kibum, despite how young he was.

"I brought your favorites, too," Heechul said with a grin.

You cheered and tackled him to the ground for the food, while Kibum waddled over and gave Heechul's hand a grateful squeeze and an adorable, childish smile that melted every corner of his heart.

Heechul had never felt happier in all nine years of his life. No one made him more happy than his two adorable dongsaengs.
 

~*~

 

"Oppa, mwohae? Oppa, what are you doing?"

Heechul glanced at you then turned back to his homework. "Studying."

"Oppa, wae? Why do you study so much?"

"I have to, _____-ah," he said, not looking up from his notebook. "So I can get into a good college and get a good job and become a good father."

"Oppa studies too much," you pouted, thinking you were still young enough to get away with it.

"Yah, ___ _____, you are way too old to be giving me that face," Heechul said, still not bothering to look up at you.

"Arasso," you said sadly, hanging your head low. Heechul finally looked at you, giving you a gentle smile. 

"_____-ah, when I'm done, we can play. For now, go find Kibum and bother him." He placed a kiss affectionately on top of your small, nine-year-old head before returning to his books.

You blushed deeply and ran away before he could notice. But then again, he still might have noticed. After all, he was Kim Heechul.
 

~*~

 

"We have the same one!" Kibum said excitedly, grabbing your new phone to take a closer look at it. 

You grabbed Kibum's while he was inspecting yours. "Yup, this is exactly the same as mine. Kibummie, put your number in and I'll put mine in yours!"

You quickly typed in your number and entered your name as "My Bestest Friend _____".

"What are you two crazy kids doing?" Heechul asked as he came rocketing down the stairs. He looked gorgeous, his hair grown a long, beautiful shiny black, his skin youthful and clear, and his smile just as teasingly enchanting as usual. You wanted to scream and squeal at the sight of him.

"Hyung, look, _____ and I got the same phone!" Kibum said, happily waving the phones in his face.

"Aren't you too young to have a phone? You're just in middle school," Heechul remarked.

"Aren't you too old to be growing out your hair like a little girl?" You countered.

Heechul stuck his tongue out at you and you mimicked him. He pushed your head down and you grabbed his sides to tickle him.

"Okay, you two," Kibum sighed. "Enough of your pabo behavior. Can I please just take a normal picture of us for my phone background?"

Heechul snatched up his phone from your grip and pulled the two of you close to him, saying, "Don't worry. I take the best selcas." Heechul turned to you and winked, and you immediately knew what he was signaling for you to do. "One, two…three!" And you and Heechul kissed Kibum on both his cheeks. Heechul snapped the picture right away. He took a look at it and laughed like a hyena, snorting as he passed the phone to you. He held Kibum down while you looked at the picture, laughing along, and set it as his background.

"You two are gross," Kibum grumbled, snapping his phone shut and rubbing at his cheeks.

"You love us," you grinned, squeezing his cheek.
Heechul added, "When I'm famous, you'll be so glad I took that picture. You could sell it for millions."

"Can I have a picture like that for my phone?" You asked suddenly, unable to keep the hope from shining in your eyes.

"Of course," Heechul said. 

And he placed a kiss on your cheek as he snapped a picture of your bright red face.

"Hyung!" Kibum whined as Heechul set your background. "You forgot about me!"

"No!" you yelled. "Keep it!"

They both stared at your for your sudden outburst.

"Uh, I mean…we could take another picture later, Bummie!"
 

~*~


Heechul slammed the door to his room, steaming. They didn't ing understand, of course.
Heechul, you're too smart for that.
Heechul, don't be stupid.

Of all the things you could be, why choose a celebrity?

Did I raise my son to be so vain?

Their words stormed on his heart, crushing and drowning his emotions with pain. them. them. them.

Downstairs, you were staring at the wall, Kibum sitting next to you.
"Do you think we should go talk to him?" you finally whispered after many minutes of tense silence.

Kibum waited a very long moment before replying, as if afraid a noise would fuel the rage flowing through the house. "I think…if anyone were to talk to him, it would be you. He spoils you, not me."

You nodded slowly. Finally in high school, you had hoped Heechul would finally notice you; after all, you were taller, your clothes nicer, your s slightly less nonexistent.

But still not enough.

At least he loved you as a sister. Anyone could see that. And you would be that for him, if that were all he wanted no matter how much it hurt you—because, at least, he wouldn't be hurting. 

You climbed upstairs alone after Kibum gave you an encouraging smile and hesitantly knocked on his door.

" off!"

"Oppa, it's me," you said softly.

A moment—then he unlocked his door, not saying anything as he let you in. You gently shut the door and sat on his bed, just watching him. He was facing you, but his head hung so low you couldn't see any of his face. 

"Oppa—" 

He looked up and you could suddenly see the tears streaming down his face. You ran up to him and squeezed him tight in a hug. "Don't cry, oppa."

"I'm not crying," he said insistently. You smiled, because you could clearly feel his tears from the way his face was pressed against your neck.

"Oh, right, sorry."

You just stood there, hugging him, holding him, comforting him silently until he straightened, his eyes bright but dry. He sat down on his bed and motioned for you to sit next to him.

Silence, again.

"Thanks," he finally said.

"You're an amazing person, oppa. No matter what anyone says, you are so smart and talented and handsome and you can do absolutely anything you set your heart to."

"A simple 'you're welcome' would've sufficed," he said. "But thank you, again. You're more than just that little girl I've known all my life. You're like my sister; you're one of my best friends."

You grabbed his hand and squeezed it tight, smiling hard at him to hide the way your heart throbbed.

Still not enough.
 

~*~

 

"____," Heechul said with a cough. 

"Are you feeling okay?" You asked, concerned. You brushed back his long hair with your hand, resting the back of your hand against his forehead. "Don't get sick, Heechul oppa. Your nose will get all red and dry," you half-. But of course, you didn't want to see him sick. It was just plain wrong. The Heechul you knew was energetic, lively, loud—not sickly and pale.

He took a sudden breath at your touch, his eyes rolling back ever-so-slightly as he savored the feel of your hand on his skin. "I'm not sick. Just nervous."

"Oh, good," you said, relieved. "Why? Is it because of that audition? Oppa, you can do anything you want. I can come with you—"

"_____, that's not what I'm nervous about. I know I'll do well. But there are some things I'm not sure I can do…"

You sighed. "I'll tell you time and time again, Heechul, you are the most perfect man I've ever met and—"

"In that case, will you be my girlfriend?"

"What?"

"Oh my god, that came off a lot less smooth than I planned."

You smiled so wide your cheeks hurt. "What did you just ask?"

Okay, Heechul, don't be such a spaz this time, he mentally prepared himself.

"____, I'm in love with you. Please be my girlfriend?"

You weren't sure if you should scream of hug him or kiss him or maybe throw up. But the way he smiled at you was so tender and raw, all you could do was smile at him.

Inside, Heechul was screaming, You're so beautiful. You're the one person who has been there for me all these years. You're the only person I can stand to be around. I want to talk to you all the time, I want to talk about you all the time, and I think about kissing you way more than I should. You're only in high school, but each year you only get more and more beautiful, in my eyes. You know everything about me, I know everything about you, and I love every bit. I can't imagine myself ever loving anyone more than I love you, and I don't ever want to

But that's not the kind of person Heechul was. So, instead, he could only smile and hope you felt the same unspoken feelings he was feeling. And, based on the look on your face as you returned his smile, you understood everything his eyes were trying to tell you—even better, you shared the same thoughts and love.
 

~*~

 

“Don’t be stupid,” Kibum scoffed.

            You rolled your eyes. “You sound so much like Heechul oppa when you say that.”

            He just stared back at you, crossing his arms.           

            You knew what he was thinking, anyway. “Okay, fine!” you cried. “But still. I don’t see it. Do you really think I’m pretty enough?

            “_____, if you aren’t pretty, then why would Heechul like you?”

            “Oh, gee, I don’t know, maybe because of my personality?”

            Kibum laughed in spite of himself. You smiled unconsciously; his laugh was so uncommon that you couldn’t help but smile each time you heard it. “I don’t mean it like that,” he reassured. “It’s just that Heechul’s liked you for so long, starting back when he was still really vain and shallow.

            Your relationship was brand-new and you were still insecure about how he felt, hearing about Heechul liking you always made you feel better. You threw your arms around Kibum and said happily, “Thanks, Bummie! How is it that someone who hardly speaks always knows the right thing to say to me?”

            Kibum just smiled that shy smile of his and patted your shoulder awkwardly.

 

~*~

 

           He moved closer, placing his hand on your cheek and the other at your waist. It was your first kiss; what were you supposed to do? Was this really happening, right now, at the front door of your parents’ house in Gangwon? His perfect face was so close, and inside you were freaking out…you didn't know what to do! Which side did you lean your head? Did your mouth smell like your dinner? Should you close your eyes now? Now? How about now? Oh my god he was so close what should you do did you breathe or stop breathing you didn't know but— 
            And he kissed you. His hand holding your face steady, his other resting at your waist, he held you just like that, and you let yourself melt against Heechul, trusting him completely.

 

~*~

 

"Wow, dating someone in college?"

"Yeah, Kim Heechul, remember him? He was in my brother's year."

"Tch. What a !"

"I know; I bet he's only dating her cause…you know. I bet she does whatever he asks with that body. She's such a ."

You ignored them, gritting your teeth and trying not to cry. You'd been dealing with this for the past few months, and it was really starting to get to you. You didn't want to tell Heechul, though, because you wanted him to think you were stronger than that. But Kibum could read you like a book: he only took one glance at you before turning around sharply and snapping at the gossiping group of girls,

"Hey! You don't know anything about her, or my brother! Apologize to her right now!"

"Oh, look, he speaks," the girl simply mocked. "I was beginning to think you didn't even know Korean."

You had enough. Kibum was shy, you knew it, he knew it, and he was really sensitive and embarrassed about it. Yet he spoke up in your defense, and all these girls had to say were insults directed—not at you, but worse—at your best friend? You growled,

"Look, you don't know me. You don't know Heechul oppa, you don't know Kibum. So just stay away, okay?"

You grabbed Kibum and stalked off. "You alright?" He asked once you had slowed down.

"They better not say anything more about you. You're the nicest guy ever, Bummie, and I can't stand to hear people talk bull about you."

He hugged you, and you were surprised at his sudden display of affection. "We really have each others' backs, don't we?" He asked, smiling that special smile of his.

"Always," you promised, hugging him back. For once, he didn't pull away. 
 

~*~

 

"What about this, oppa?"

"Are you kidding? Do you want him to look like an ahjussi?"
You threw the shirt in question at his face, and Heechul pulled it off his head, grinning wickedly, and moved to kiss you on the cheek. "Get off me," you said, shoving him away, smiling all the while.

"Guys! Can you please focus for two seconds!" Kibum nearly screamed.

You two glanced each other. "Sorry," you said at the same time. You smiled to yourself, pleased with how in sync you were with your boyfriend.

"Here, wear this," Heechul grabbed a pair of his own grungy jeans and one of his band shirts.

"Oppa! Stop trying to dress him with your clothes!" You grabbed Kibum's nicest shirt and his newest jeans and held them out. "Bummie-yah, this is much more suited to you."

"I'm gonna have to go with _____ on this one. Sorry, hyung," Kibum said, not even taking a second look at Heechul's outfit.

"Fine! But if Yoona dumps you because of how gross your clothes are, don't come crying to me!"

You laughed and helped fix Kibum's hair. God, you loved your boyfriend and you best friend. They were the best family in the world.

 

~*~

 

“Heechul oppa, your hands are so soft!” you marveled. “Like a girl’s!”

            “Like a girl’s?” he scoffed. “Please. Your hands don’t feel as nice as mine do!”

            You retracted your hand and used it to smack his arm. “Oppa, you’re so mean!”           

            “I’m just teasing, _____,” Heuchul said, grabbing your hand and kissing it before letting it fall between you and sway back and forth. “You know, your hand is the only one I’ll ever want to hold.”

 

 

~*~

 

“She did it! She did it! She did it!” Heechul shouted, dancing around—or rather, flailing his arms and legs back and forth. “Happy graduation, _____!”

“Thanks, Chullie,” you said with a laugh, trying and failing to grab onto his limbs to keep him from looking like a fool in front of everyone you knew. You nearly dropped your certificate and all the flowers you had just received, but Kibum was quick to catch them.

“Thanks, Bummie-yah. You’re always there when I’m about to fall apart,” you said, grinning up at him. Yes, up. Kibum had gotten tall and as handsome as his brother, but in a different, more subtle way. Still, his smile was radiant as he grinned back down at you, saying quietly,

            “We finally did it, ______-ah.”

            “I never thought we would,” you returned with a laugh.

            “We—“

            “Yah!” Heechul interrupted with a pout. “You’re forgetting about me again!”

            “If Kibum’s the one to keep me together, then you’re the one who makes me fall apart!” you accused him.

            Heechul grabbed you and kissed you right there, in front of your parents and classmates and teachers and everyone. You let him kiss you until he pulled away, a mischevious look on his face. “I think you meant I’m the one who makes you fall…in love.”

            You smacked him with your bouquet of flowers in response.

 

~*~

 

"You, singing?" You laughed. 
                  Heechul grinned back at you. "Just wait. I'm going to sing so well entertainment companies will be dying to sign me."
                  He grabbed your hand and pulled you into one of the practice rooms, quickly closing the door behind you. He turned around and kissed you, still holding your hands.
                  "Yah!" You broke free from his grip and pushed him away, pouting at him. "You're always like that, stealing kisses from me."
                  "I can't help it," he grinned naughtily. "But stay here! Don't run away from me yet." He hurried to the piano at the corner of the room, sat down, and began to play. If you could call it playing—it was more like he was banging on the poor keys. You laughed out loud. 
                  "Yah, Kim Heechul, do you call that playing piano?" You walked towards him and hit his head. "That's more like torturing my ears. You're going to get us kicked out of here."
                  "Okay, okay," he said, dodging your hand, which had come dangerously close his head again. "How about I sing for you, my violent, beautiful girlfriend?"
                  Heechul continued to bang on the keys, this time singing along. Or, perhaps, a better way to describe it was shouting? 
                  "There's no other person like you, even if I look around, it's just like that, where else to look for?" He shrieked out some melody as he slammed his fingers down on random keys. You laughed even harder. 
                  "Stop! Please stop! Oppa, I'm begging you; spare me!" You leaned against him, trying to catch your breath from laughing so hard. 
                  "Oh, mian, mian," he said. But he continued singing in that off-key voice, "Sorry, sorry, sorry, I, I, I, first, for you, for you, for you, I fell, fell, fell, fallen baby!"
                  "Where do you even come up with this stuff?!"
                  "I don't know. It just comes to me, I guess. I can't help it that I'm this naturally talented with music."
                  You laughed again, and kissed the top of his head. You rested your head on top of his, hugging him from behind. You smiled to yourself, hiding the fact that you were actually enjoying his singing.

 

~*~

 

“I’m going to be an actor someday,” Heechul told you, grinning confidently. “A really good one. I’ll win all the awards, and when I do, I’ll mention you in every speech.”

            “So, you mean, if I marry you, I can be a little famous, too?” you teased.

            “You’ll be famous on your own,” he assured. “The best news anchor in Korea.”

            “You’ll be the best actor in the whole world, then,” you said, kissing him on the cheek. He smiled at you and leaned in to kiss you on the lips.

            But truthfully, he was never going to be anything…

 

~*~

 

            “Sit here,” he insisted, pulling on your arms like a child.

            “Sit here, Heechul insisted, pulling on your arms like a child.

“It’s too close!” your protested. “I’ll be bending my neck the entire night!”

            “No, because you’ll only have to watch me,” he said with a cheeky smile. “You can sleep for the rest of it.”

            You laughed and smacked his arm. The lights dimmed, and he rushed to kiss you. The kiss was quick, but the fact that he had kissed you in front of all these people still made you blush. He jumped on stage when his name was called—he was the opening act; he was just that good.

            He introduced himself playfully, got the audience laughing. You watched him, never feeling prouder. Then he did his piece—a funny one that suited him perfectly and allowed him to sing a bit. Everyone cheered for him, but you were the first one to get to your feet and give him a standing ovation.

            God, he was so perfect.

 

~*~

 

      "I love the summer," your boyfriend said, tilting his head back, lazing about in the sun like a cat. "Don't you?"
            "It's alright," you said with a smile. You didn't care either way, but you liked seeing him happy. You liked seeing him like this.
            He opened his eyes and turned to you with a dazzling smile. "I've been thinking…let's run away. Just you and me—the weather is perfect for running away. Nothing could go wrong."
            You his cheek with your hand, reaching further to gently comb his hair back, feeling him move his head to fit into your hand. "Our parents would kill us."
            Heechul pouted, kissing your palm for a moment before grabbing you and pulling you into his arms.
            "You're awfully cuddly today," you remarked, secretly pleased.
            "Let's run away," he mumbled into your hair, ignoring your teasing. "Before you get too busy in college for me."
            "Is that what this is about?" you asked. "I would never, ever be too busy for you. You're the one that's going to be too busy for me, Mr. Bigshot Actor!"
            "Never," Heechul replied seriously. "I will never, ever, be too busy for you."

 

~*~

 

            _____, get over here. Quickly! Your latest text from Heechul read.

            Yeah, yeah. Despite your irritated response, you hurried to his house, a little worried. You always knew where the Kims kept their keys (in the flowerpot by the door) so when you got there, you rushed right in.

            “Kim Heechul!” you yelled into the seemingly empty house. “You better come out right now! I just ran over here so you better have a good reason for this.”

            He popped up behind you, having hid completely unnoticed, behind the door. “’Kim Heechul’? What happened to ‘Chullie’, or ‘oppa’, or ‘my dearest sweet love’?”

            You yelped and punched his arm. He glared at you and rubbed the spot where you hit him, grumbling, “Aish, I don’t think I want to tell you anymore. Abusing me? I don’t appreciate this behavior.”

            You rolled your eyes at his exaggerated anger but quickly put on the aegyo anyway. “Oppa, mianhae!” you said cutely, your eyes practically shining. “I really want to hear your news! Really, really!” You tugged on his shirt and jumped up and down like a little kid begging for candy. Your aegyo worked: Heechul’s eyes softened, though he smirked and said,

            “Okay, okay, stop that before I gag and I’ll tell you: I just got a job as radio DJ on Youngstreet!”

            You screamed in shock and joy and pulled him into a back-breaking hug. “Oh my god!” You continued to squeeze him as you started dancing around his house, singing off-key, “My boyfriend’s a DJ! My boyfriend’s famous! My boyfriend’s the most amazing person in the world!”

            He laughed out loud and squeezed you back before adding his own ridiculous dance moves into the mix. You laughed along with him and rejoiced at Heechul’s continuing success. The two of you shared everything: the pain, the joys, the boredom, the energy. Each moment brought you two closer together, as if you couldn’t be close enough.

            If only you had known it wouldn’t last, you would have treasured this moment and all the others, made sure every single one remained ingrained in your mind and had a special place in your heart.

 

A/N: Holy crap it's been nearly two months...I'm so sorry! Anyway, please excuse the occasional cursing that came up in this chapter. I hope no one got offended! And if you noticed, I included some of the memories that came up in previous chapters, except I finally included "his" name. So this is the chapter explaining their history, and the next chapter will explain how it all went to hell. Also, if you noticed, "You" stopped calling Heechul "oppa" eventually. Generally, married couples don't call each other with honorifics (although some choose to always speak in honorifics out of respect for each other, but I feel like Heechul isn't the type) so I used that to show how close they were getting.

This chapter was sooo long. I don't know if my next chapter will be this long XD I think I had more to say, but I forget. If you have questions, don't be afraid to ask! Please subscribe and comment<3 You guys are the only reason I haven't abandoned this thing already x)