End of the year projects

Geeks For Hoops

 

Jung Jinyoung

 

-         Junsol’s childhood friend

-         Junior at Seoul High and is going for the basketball team

 

 

 

__________________

 

As Junsol walked inside her classroom, she saw Jae Mi’s posse gathered in the middle of the room discussing something pretty useless in her opinion. She sighed and walked to her desk. They glanced at her when she walked passed them but then went back to their gossiping. There was no sign of Jae Mi and to Junsol’s relief, she smiled.

A short while later a girl with quiet, fierce eyes comes in with her sketchbook. She had dark, heavy eye makeup and without a fail; everyone looks at her when she comes in. This girl was the only girl that Jae Mi and her posse won’t mess with. Kaide, the only person blunt enough to shut Jae Mi up. In everyone’s point of view, she looked like a Goth. There were rumors saying that she practices voodoo, maybe it was the reason why no one ever talked to her. But looking at her closely, she was very pretty.

 

 

“Hey! The tryouts for the basketball team are in a couple of days!” Jae Mi cried out to her girl friends as they huddled closely together.

“Oh I know! Are we going to stay after school to watch?” a girl named Seojin asked.

“Of course, it’s tradition! I can’t wait for Yong Guk to see me. I’m pretty sure he will notice me this time. I have a plan.” She smirked as her curled a strand of hair with her finger.

“And probably without a doubt, another one of your “genius” plan will fail.” Kaide said without taking her eyes of her sketching.

“No one asked to put your two cents in.” Jae Mi eyed her. Kaide looked back at her with piercing eyes which caused Jae Mi to fall back into her place.

“You have been after Bang Yong Guk since freshmen year and he still hasn’t notice you.” Kaide said.

“Oh please, no one will ever look your way.” Jae Mi said with satisfaction.

“Is that your lame way of trying to burn me with that brainless comeback? If no one has looked my way, why hasn’t Yong Guk looked at yours?” Kaide nodded as the class ‘ohh’ at her remark.

 

Just then Yong Guk came in with some of his teammates while his brother Himchan was beside him. Everything stopped and everyone stared. The giggling girls looked in awe. Junsol looked down as they walked in and began to get out her notes from yesterday. Yong Guk glanced over at Junsol who seemed not to pay attention. Jae Mi forgot about the whole argument and began to fix her hair. She walked over to him.

 

“Oppa… How are you?” Jae Mi cooed.

“Okay, I guess.” He plainly said.

“Are you planning anything over the summer?” She asked, fluttering her eyes.

“Nope, just work.” He said not even looking at her.

Once Mr. Yang stepped into the door, every student took their seats and waited for today’s agenda. With everyone taking out their journals and pens, Jae Mi crossed her arms and pouted. ‘Why won’t he budge?’ She thought.

“All right class we are going to partner up for an end of the year project.” Mr. Yang said.

“Ugh!” The class groaned.

“We already did one at the beginning of the year!” A kid yelled.

“You guys know the drill; we have projects in the beginning and the end of the school year. I will choose your partners.” He said in a firm voice.  Yong Guk sat up with interest and was hoping to be partner up with Junsol.

“Seojin… and Himchan.” He called out. Seojin screamed in excitement while Himchan smiled at her reaction.

“Yong Guk and Jae Mi.” He called next and proceeded to the next pair of students. “And last but not lease, Junsol and Kaide.”

 

Kaide and Junsol looked at each other and gave a short smile and then nodded. Yong Guk was obviously not thrilled at all while Jae Mi on the other hand was ecstatic. Kaide was relieved. She didn’t want to be partnered with Jae Mi’s posse like in the beginning of the school year. She wanted someone who would actually do the work with her, and Junsol seemed to be the right person. In all honestly, Junsol was half and half. Part of her wanted to be partners with Yong Guk but then she was relieved to be partners with Kaide.

 

“Okay, your final project is worth 20% for this term. Since we are emphasizing on Geography as our sciences, I have the list of the countries you and your partner will be doing her on this list but as of right now, this is today’s journal entry. You have 30 minutes, start now.” He said.

It came down to lunch time and Kaide looked at the list Mr. Yang posted on the wall. ‘Greece.’ She read in her mind. She walked over to Junsol.

 

“Hey, we are doing Greece.” She said.

“Oh really? I was hoping we would get that.” Junsol smiled.

“Same, it has a really rich history as well as artistic background.” She said. “Do you want to discuss our project over lunch?”

“Sure, let’s head to the cafeteria.” She said. “I hope you don’t mind my wallet is in my locker.”

“Not at all, I was going to tell you the same thing.” They walked out. Both of them went to their lockers and took the amount they needed and headed towards the cafeteria.

“I don’t mean to go off topic and be nosy but do you really not like Jae Mi?” Junsol asked.

“No, I don’t. You know she has the power to drive girls away from this school right?” Kaide said.

“Yeah, I heard about what she can do.” Junsol nodded.

“She drove my friend out last year for accidently falling onto Yong Guk which was obviously not her fault because the man wasn’t even looking where he was going. At lease he apologized and knew he was at fault but Jae Mi came onto the impression that my friend was trying to him. I mean, I was always annoyed by her but that was just too much.” She said with bitterness. “She was my only friend here and Jae Mi throw her out with her falsely judgment.”

“I don’t like her that much either. She hasn’t done anything to me yet but I can’t help but think that there’s more to life than Yong Guk.” She chucked.

“No kidding. She doesn’t scare me. She and all her posse are all just talk. They need each other to beat the crap out of anyone who they think is stealing Yong Guk and his brothers away.” Kaide said.

 

Lunch proceeded and the 2 girls talked about how they would do their project. When lunch was over, everyone slowly made their way back to the classrooms. For the remainder of the day, everyone had to partner up with their assign partner and evenly distribute the work load.

 

“Oppa, isn’t it exciting?! We are doing France! It’s such a romantic place! Don’t you think so?!” Jae Mi said excitedly as she clasped her hands together.

“Yeah, sure. I have never been there so I really don’t know.” He blinked at her.

“Well, a lot of couples exchange a lot of vows there and soap operas are always filming there because of its gorgeous romantic setting.” She was trying to hint.

“I don’t watch those girly dramas; I watch war movies.” He said.

“Well, France had a whole history of epic wars and battles, fighting for their country.” She sighed.

“Great. You can do all those girly stuff; I’ll work on their history with wars.” He said excitedly.

“Okay…” She frowned.

 

The bell rung and the day was finally over. Everyone hurried to their desk and packed their things. For most of the students it was the most exciting part of their day.

 

“I might just head towards library to pick up some books.” Kaide said.

“Sounds like a plan. I will try to gather some information up and email what I’ve gotten.” Junsol smiled.

“Awesome. See you tomorrow then.” Kaide waved.

 

Himchan was looking at his phone when he bumped into someone while both of them were trying to exit through the narrow door.

 

“Oops.” Himchan looked up.

“Uh, go ahead.” Kaide stepped back.

“No, ladies first.” He gestured with a dashing smile.

“Er… um… thanks?” She said in an unsure manner and headed towards the door.

‘What the hell was that about?’ She thought as her cheeks became warm with a light pink blush. Her heart began to beat a bit faster than normal and to Kaide’s surprise, it felt nice.