'Yong Guk is mine'

Geeks For Hoops

“Junsol.” Jinyoung tapped her shoulder. “Is your class also doing the end of the year project?”

“Yeah, what are you doing yours on?” Junsol asked.

“China. Since both our classes are pretty much the same kind of project. What about you?” He smiled.

“Oh me and my partner have Greece.” She said.

“Lucky. So anyways,  are you ready to go home?” He asked.

“Yup!” She closed her locker.

“Hopefully tomorrow, I can try to get my license. My appointment is after school. So if I pass, we don’t have to walk anymore.” He smiled.

“Oh that will be nice! Did you get a car?” She asked.

“My grandparents got me a car.” He grinned.

“Good because I think my feet can get a break from walking.” She laughed. “Hopefully this summer I can get mine.”

“Oh yeah, what are you planning to do over the summer anyways?” He said her.

“I’m going to take some college courses. My dad is begging me to take an auto mechanic class, so I learn since I will be driving.”

“But it’s not like you are actually going to fix your own car right?” He looked at her.

“Well not exactly. My dad is afraid that if I get my car or his car fixed, I would get ripped off since I wouldn’t know my stuff because I’m a girl.” She said.

“Oh! That’s smart! Your dad is a smart man. Teach me as well!” He laughed.

“Sure.” She smiled.

 

 “If I didn’t know better, you get jealous every time you see them together.” Himchan quietly said. Yong Guk was curious about Junsol’s relationship with this guy.

“Shut up. I’m never jealous.” Yong Guk glared.

“It’s been a year already. Just go up to her.” Himchan suggested.

“She’s just not interested in me. So why would I try?” He said with a heavy sigh.

“Doesn’t hurt to ask.” Himchan shrugged.

“Let’s just go to practice.” He smiled back.

“I don’t know how we are going to practice and do our projects at the same time.” Himchan said.

“Tell me about it.” He shook his head.

“I just want to ask, are you stupid or blind to see that your partner has been after you since freshmen year?”

“What?”

“Seriously, you don’t know?”

“Never cared; so yeah, I would be considered stupid and blind. Why bring it up?”

“You can basically ask her to do the whole project for you.” Himchan laughed.

“Not a bad idea.” Yong Guk joked.

 

“All right boys as you know we are going to have tryouts. We are short 4 members but we are going to take 6 from the list as back up. So all of you will help me choose by playing a quick game with all of them.” Coach said. “You guys have a say-in on who makes it on the team and who doesn’t, all right?”

“Yes coach.” They all chimed.

“I just want you guys to know that you need to pass this spring term to stay on the team as well as passing your final projects. Don’t think I don’t know anything.” He firmly said.

“Yes coach.” They said.

“Good! Let’s practice!” He blew his whistle.

__________________

 

*Ring. Ring. Ring. Ring. Ring.*

 

“Ugh…” Junsol grunted. “I really need that break now…”

Junsol was just tired from all of the research and printing up information for this project that she and Kaide would have to present at the last few weeks of the school year. Three months was a long time to finish the project but with added tests and homework on the side, it would probably be not enough time.

After getting ready, she goes down stairs to find Jinyoung waiting for her.

“Nice car!” She smiled.

“Hop in! I think we have time to get breakfast.” He said.

“You are treating me?” She teased.

“Shouldn’t you be treating me since im giving you a ride?” He shook his head. “I’m kidding… kinda… No, no; I’m really kidding.”

“Oh that’s right. Sure, it’s a deal then!” She said.

They drive to the nearest bakery and take their breakfast to go. They make their way towards their school and park in the shade to eat breakfast.

“Thanks for breakfast. You really didn’t have to treat me.” Jinyoung said.

“No, I should be thanking you for taking me to school. But then, I’m a bit iffy.” She said.

“Iffy about what?” He asked.

“If you get your license, we would be eating like this and spending money.” She laughed.

“Oh you are right? I’ll just let you walk.” He joked.

“Meanie.” She slapped his arm. “Oh yeah are you going for tryouts right?”

“Yup! Hopefully, I will make the cut.” He said.

“I’m sure you will. You would probably be popular and forget about me.” She said jokingly.

“Nah, all I just want to do is play for a team. It’s all about the game. I mean it has benefits as well but the real reason you would be on a team is to play.” He shrugged.

“But don’t you think most of the guys on the team are there for popularity?” She asked.

“Maybe, but all I want to do is play and compete.” He smiled.

__________________

 

“Jae Mi, you are so lucky to have Yong Guk as your partner!” a classmate said.

“I know, right? As if it was meant to be!” Jae Mi said with glee. “Tomorrow we are definitely going to see the basketball team and since it’s after school. I don’t see a problem with us dumping our uniforms and wear something better.” They all agreed and smirked at each other. Kaide walked in and Jae Mi looked at her with disgust. Kaide saw her reaction.

“Good morning, I see the assassins haven’t gotten to you yet.” Kaide said to Jae Mi with a sarcastic smile.

“What? I don’t get you.” Jae Mi glared.

 “Isn’t the first time.” Kaide said.

“You just never make sense at all. I think you are just a fail.” Jae Mi smirked.

“A fail?” Kaide laughed. “Please, Yong Guk doesn’t even look at you and you are calling me a fail? You might have the “looks” but it evens out with your “failed” brain.”

“I’m not dumb if that is what you are calling me.” Jae Mi defends herself.

“Pfft!” Kaide scoffed as she sat in her seat.

“Gosh, she’s the stupid one.” Jae Mi said outloud.

“Don’t make me use my voodoo doll on you.” Kaide threatened with a smile. Jae Mi’s eyes widen and shut . Junsol heard the whole thing and smiled as she walked over towards Kaide.

“Hey, I printed some articles I found.” Junsol said as she gave Kaide all the papers.

“I have the books but it is in my locker. I figured that right when lunch is over, we will work on out projects and I can get the books then.” Kaide smiled.

“Great! You can keep the papers for now and look over it and then we can discuss about it later.” Junsol said.

“Thanks. I’m sure we will be in no time at this rate.” Kaide said.

“I hope so. We still have end of the year exams as well so I don’t know how we can manage our time.”

“Oh you’re right. We can make a study group if you would like.” Kaide suggested.

“Sure!” Junsol smiled.

“All right class, settle down and go to your seats.” Mr. Yang told his students. “Today for half of the day we have your daily lessons in class and the rest of the day you all will be split into 2 big groups. Half of the class will stay here and the rest of you will be in the library. I just want you to know just because you are in the library does not mean you can fool around and not do work. If I receive a call from the library about any of you, you and your partner will receive detention for 2 weeks. You guys are mature enough to understand that I won’t tolerate misbehaviors. In the mean time, take out your journals.”

 

Lessons were a drag and it made the first half of the day just goes by slower. When lunch time came, everyone felt relief and quickly went to get their lunch. Once they finished, Mr. Yang split the class and they headed towards the library.

“Oppa, did you find any information?” Jae Mi asked.

“I’m sorry but I didn’t. I was practicing and–” Yong Guk began.

“Oh, I know. You work so hard.” She said touching his arm. “It’s okay, I totally understand. I got some information like a ton of them so you don’t have to work too hard.”

“Thanks but now I feel bad for not doing anything.” He said.

“Don’t worry about it, oppa! I can say we evenly distributed the work.” She smiled.

“No, I will do my part.” Yong Guk said. He looked over at Himchan and saw him mouth: ‘I told you.’ He gave out a small chuckle.

“What’s so funny?” Jae Mi smiled.

“Nothing.” Yong Guk said. Everyone scatted in different tables and dropped off their stuff to begin researching.
“I don’t know where to begin because I got a few book but not all of them. Some were too high for me and I was rushing since the librarian was telling me to hurry up. I can start writing ideas down.” Kaide said.

“All right and I will look for more books.” Junsol said.

 

Junsol was looking for the right aisle and when she did, she found Yong Guk already there. He looked up at her and gave a wide smile. She smiled back and began to scan. She was so into finding books on her topic that she didn’t even notice Yong Guk staring at her. ‘Hm, Kaide was right, it is high up…’ She thought. Junsol kept staring up and tapped her finger on her chin. Yong Guk smiled at her dilemma and walked towards her.

“Which book?” Yong Guk asked.

“Oh, that colorful greenish one right there.” She pointed with a shy smile.

“Got it.” Yong Guk smiled.

“Thanks.” She said.

“Anything else while I’m here?” He asked trying to hide his big, gummy smile.

“No, I think I got it. Thanks again.” She smiled and walked away. Yong Guk turned around and found Jae Mi watching the whole time.

“Oppa…” Jae Mi called with slight annoyance. “Come look what I found.”

“Okay.” Yong Guk sighed. Jae Mi led the way and glared over at where Junsol and Kaide were. ‘What does that geek have to make Yong Guk smile like that?’ She thought with anger rising. ‘Yong Guk is mine.’