A ruined weekend

Geeks For Hoops

 

Monday came around the corner fast. Junsol was a bit worn out from such a busy weekend. She knew tonight her parents would like a hold of her about her schooling over the summer. Her dad has been on her case for awhile. Today was registration for summer sessions at the university. She knew what classes to take already and hopefully she gets in.

 

“Morning, friend!” Jinyoung waved at the school gate.

“Hey…” She yawned.

“Sorry for not picking you up, you wouldn’t answer your phone.” He said.

“No… it’s fine. I need exercise.” She smiled.

“You look tired.” He said in a worried tone.

“People fired. Long weekend.” She rolled her eyes.

“Ouch, so they worked you like a dog.” He laughed.

“Yeah but the good thing is they are paying me double now.” She grinned.

“Oh! Then you should treat me out.” He begged.

“I still owe you for driving me around.” She nodded slowly.

“I was joking, but now that you mention it. My mom is cooking dinner. She’s inviting you. You can pay back for getting dessert or making dessert.” He suggested.

“I’ll buy.” She smiled.

“Man! I thought you would bake something. Your baking is so good even my mother admits defeat.” He snapped his fingers in disappointment.

“I don’t want your mom to wash a lot of dishes plus I don’t think its right that I use your groceries for my cooking.” She frowned.

“I’m sure they won’t mind.” He smiled.

“No, I will buy a cake.” She looked at him.

 

Meanwhile Kaide was dragging her feet towards the gate of the school. She couldn’t sleep last night because she was over thinking about the scholarship and moving away for awhile. Maybe it was a good idea to just go…

 

“Kaide!” A cheery voice said.

“Oh hi.” She turned around and saw Himchan waving.

“How was your weekend?” He grinned.

“It was good.” She smiled as she forced a smile.

“I bet because you saw me.” He said putting his lips together to stop from grinning.

“Oppa!” A voice squealed. Himchan turned around and his face fell.

“Hi girls…” Himchan said. Kaide just walked away, too annoyed at the girls crowding around him.

“Did you do anything fun?” They asked him.

“No, not really…” He said trying to walk away.

“Yah! Give him space!” Seojin said. “Oppa when can we work on the project together? Can we work on it this weekend? The faster we do it, the faster we finish.”

“Hm.” Himchan thought. She did have a point and hopefully be done with the project so she can stop bothering him.

“Sure.” He shrugged and walked off.

 

Himchan saw Kaide already in class sitting quietly organizing her stuff. He was about to make her way over to her until JaeMi blocked his way. ‘Jeez, now I know how Yong Guk feels like!’ He sighed.

 

“Yes?” Himchan said in an annoyed voice.

“Oppa, where is Yong Guk?” She asked.

“I don’t know… with the teammates or talking to the coach.” He said not taking his eyes from Kaide.

“I didn’t see him anywhere…” she pouted.

“Oh look!” Himchan pointed at the door as Yong Guk walked in. ‘Oh hell, her again.’ Yong Guk thought.

“Yong Guk oppa! Hi!” JaeMi said with a high squeal. “I was thinking if we can work on the project this weekend since we are partners after all. You didn’t even call me back when we can. Remember?”

“Oh…” He remembered.

 

 

Yong Guk walked in the waiting area of the shop covered with sweat and grease. It was a bit hotter than usual and went inside for an ice old drink. He told his dad he was taking his 15 minute break.

 

“Mother! That’s him!” Jae Mi whispered excitedly. “Isn’t he so… so…?!”

“I get it, sweetheart! Go talk to him, weren’t you telling me you have a huge project to do?” Her mother said.

“Oh yeah! Be right back, mother.” She got up and walked over to him. “Oppa!”

“What are you doing here?” Yong Guk raised his eye brow.

“I’m getting my car fixed, silly!” JaeMi giggled.

“You drive?” He asked as he sipped his ice water.

“Well… no… it’s my mother’s car.” She admitted. “But it will be my car soon!”

“Ah…” He said awkwardly.

“So um, about our project… do you have time tomorrow?” She fluttered her eyes.

“No.” He flat out told her.

“Well, here’s my number.” She said; getting out a pen and writing it on his hand.

“Uh, sorry but I can’t read it… my hand is dirty.” He said. “Jong Up, can you get me a piece of paper?”

“Sorry… here.” She said as she wrote it on the paper. “Call me and let me know about your plans tomorrow… I mean about our project.”

“Uh, sure.” He just shrugged, not even budging.

“So what are you doing tomorrow?” She asked curiously since he declined.

“Oh, my 15 minutes are up. I gotta go get back. I will… uh call you?” He said; a little uncertain if he actually would.

“Yay! I can’t wait!” She said. “See you!”

 

 

“Oh yeah… I forgot…” Yong Guk told her.

“It’s okay. Did you lose my number?” She asked.

“Actually I did…” He said.

“Here.” She wrote in her little journal and torn off her number to give to him.

“All right class has begun!!!” The teacher walked in.

 

 ‘Great… a ruined weekend…’ Yong Guk thought.