The day they met...

Geeks For Hoops

“Goodbye sweetie! We will be back next week! Have fun in school!” Junsol’s mother said.

“Thanks mom. Be safe.” Junsol said quietly with a reassuring smile.

‘Oh, high school… 3 more months of junior year and then its summer vacation,’ she thought. It was not that Junsol hated high school; it was just the fact she hated how immature her classmates were. As if they took high school for granted... She had more friends at her university that here in this nightmare.

 

“Hey Junsol!” a male voice cried out.

“Oh… Jinyoung oppa, what’s up?” She said in a tired voice.

“Worked yesterday?” He smiled.

“Yeah, I did. I will be transferring to a clinic this summer. So the stress level will go down.” She smiled back.

“I don’t know how you do it but why would you work yourself up like this?” He asked.

“I just want to get out of this living hell of a high school. There’s so much drama from that one obsessive girl, Jae Mi.” She rolled her eyes.

“Oh that girl that has her heart set to go out with Yong Guk?” He asked.

“Yeah, her…” She winced.

Yong Guk, the star player of the basketball team. She secretly has a place for Yong Guk in her heart and it pains Junsol that she knows she doesn’t have a chance. She knew her glasses got in the way of having any chance with a guy at zero. Not that she had to wear it all the time, but it was just a way to ward off people especially people like Jae Mi.

__________________

 

“This list is way too long for try outs.” Himchan looked over.

“No kidding, man!” A teammate said while pointing at the list.

“What do you think, captain?” Himchan asked Yong Guk.

Yong Guk wasn’t really paying attention; he was just waiting for the girl whose locker number was 387. It was sophomore year when he met the owner of that locker and has him hooked on this girl for awhile.

__________________

CRASH!

 

“Oh my goodness, I’m so sorry I didn’t see you there!” The girl panicked.

“No, it’s my fault!” Yong Guk reassured.

Books and papers were everywhere as well as a broken pair of glasses. Yong Guk looked and stared at them, holding it up to her. She looked up at him.

“I’m so sorry about your glasses… I will pay for them.” He apologized as he was picking up the books slowly.

“Oh no, don’t worry about those. They are fake as a matter of fact.” She chucked.

“What?” He said in confusion.

“I have 20/20 vision. I just wear those for… uh… erm… for fun. Yup, for fun.” She tried to hide.

“Why would you do such a stupid thing?” He looked at her.

“The same reason you wear your team jackets to school.” She smiled and walked away.

 

The next day, Yong Guk was just too keen to have that remark by the girl he bumped into. He saw her coming down the hallway and stopped at a locker 387. He makes his way to her.

“Hey.” He said with his deep husky voice.

“Yes?” She looked at him confusingly.

“Uh… Oh your glasses are fixed.” He said.

“Yeah I have a bunch at home. So nothing to worry about.” She said with a soft smile.

“I wanted to ask… what did you mean by you wear your glasses because it’s the same reason I wore my team jacket.” He asked as he tugged on it.

“Well, you where those jackets because it’s a status thing. People know you are on the basketball team because of your jacket. I wear these glasses because people know me as a geek. It’s like a uniform.” She said.

“Hm, geek or not, I think you look better without them.” He nodded in understanding and walked away.

__________________

 

“Earth to Captain.” Himchan waved his hang in front of Yong Guk’s face.

“What?” He said, annoyed.

“How are we going to select this year?” Another teammate asked.

“Ask the coach. I’m pretty sure he’s going to make all of them play a game and then we select our team for next year.” He said picking up his books and walking towards their class.

Junsol closed her locker and turned. She saw Yong Guk look her way and nodded. Her heart started to beat fast but looked the other way and stared at the ground with a numb look on her face. She stood still. At the corner of her eye as he passed by, she could see that he had a frown on his face.

‘Yeah, I knew… What does a guy like me have a chance with that pretty honor student.’ He thought. Although in the same class, the sat in opposite sides of the room.

 

 

 

 

***Author's Note: Thanks to JaeJoongLove for the poster!!! [Cheesy I know but I love romantic stuff like this :>] Oh and this is the nod, BYG gives Junsol.