The Leaders

Born for the Stage

 

 

418763_482837815061311_1925609304_n.jpg

 

 

He pressed the stop button before looking at the exhausted female in the recording booth. The both of them tried syncing her voice to match his and even though it sounded effortless, he wanted their audio swagger perfect.

 

With a big sigh, Chaerin took off the headphones before going out of the booth. It had been an hour and a half since they started recording. So far so good. They finished the song, though the both of them looked like they ran a marathon.

 

Chaerin sat on the long sofa while Jiyong swung his swivel chair to face her. “Why do people keep on telling me that there’s something wrong with my rapping?” she asked.

 

“Because you don’t try too much.” He stood up and sat beside her. “You should put more effort so it doesn’t sound too forced.” She looked down at him since he was slouching so low he more looked like he was half-lying already. Well, he’s right—she can’t deny that fact. “I try~ People just don’t like my rapping.”

 

“No they don’t. They just hate the fact they you could do so much better.” He looked up and winked at her. Now she had to look away to hide the growing blush on her cheeks. Why does he have to look so right and say the most impressing things anyway?

 

“You just say that to make me continue recording songs for you.” She said with a much forced smirk. This time, Chaerin had to kick the slumbering CL out. The boy just laughed. “How’d you know?”

 

She laughed but Chaerin wasn’t sure if she likes it or not. “Instincts.”

 

“You’re such a cat!” He said as he sat up straight but still leaned on the couch. “I’ll take that as a compliment.” She acted like she found her nails fascinating to avoid his stare as the moment passed. “Yeah—do take it.” And his voice was a level lower when he said that.

 

You know that awkward silence shared by two people who have so much to say but doesn’t know if the time is right? Yes, the dragon and the queen is in that kind of situation.

 

Her mind drifted to her revelations earlier, about the song she made—about Han Byul’s words of wisdom and especially about the young male beside her who supported her like a brother yet acts like her man sometimes. Sure there are still doubts about the real ‘identity’ of her feelings towards him; it’s still early to call it crush yet too late to classify it as friendship.

 

She no longer was shy about the fact that she kissed him, sure the butterflies are still alive in her tummy but the awkward feeling about it was now forgotten. Though his nonchalance brought a small twitch in her heart she didn’t mind anymore—until she felt her hair flow on her shoulders.

 

“Yah!” She screeched at him. Jiyong ignored her and continued on fixing her hair, he was still leaning on the couch. “Do you know how hot this evening is? Give me back my hair band—”

 

“You look prettier with your hair down.” He was fixing some strand and didn’t look at her directly. Her eyes widen and her heartbeat started to race. She kept on looking at him as she tried to catch up with her breathing. “There.” He said as he fixed a final strand on its place.

 

He tilted her chin and said “See? You look prettier like that.” Jiyong looked at her for a few more seconds as she blush and slowly, his smile grew into a grin. “Woah—am I really seeing Lee Chaerin blushing?”

 

Realizing she quite blew her cover away—she covered her face with her hands. “Yah—no, no. Don’t cover it.” He said as he grabbed her offending wrists away. “It’s okay, it’s okay—it’s fine really.” She did stop struggling but she tried building her esteem back by hitting on him with big slaps.

 

It’s his time to defend himself. “Stop—okay, no—not the face, yah, fine, I was kidding—just kidding.” Jiyong was laughing when he said that and he didn’t notice that she already stopped. Knowing the it coast is clear, he slowly moved his arms away from his face.

 

She was out of the door. That shocked him. “Yah! Chae, wait for me!” he grabbed his bag, shut off the computer and left.

 

**

 

Chaerin, with her jacket on her hand and her bag hanging on her shoulder, was hurrying down the halls, the back of her hand was covering her lips and cheeks—an attempt to hide the cherry of her cheeks. He’s such a jerk! She thought as she tried to find ways on escaping him since a part of Chaerin was telling that Kwon Jiyong would be following her and who knows—offer dinner?

 

She made a sharp turn towards the school’s main double doors and she was welcomed with the coolness of the evening. Okay, she lied, she only pulled her hair up to let the breeze cool her neck and her excuse with Jiyong earlier was because of adrenaline rush.

 

“Bad recording?” She didn’t notice Jiho leaning on the school gate. She glared at him first before saying “Jiho you do know that you can’t hang in here right?” He won’t be saying anything but Chaerin knew that the boy stayed around YGSA for a while, waiting for her.

 

“I know, but I’m bored and I don’t have school earlier.” He said with a shy smile. “Still.” Shock and anger fled her and worry for her childhood friend entered her. Who knows? The dude might go home headless if he stayed in YGSA longer. She doesn’t doubt the hospitality of the people around but she guessed that the YGSA crowd doesn’t have any hospitality for CAI students like himself.

 

“I bet the dragon made you worked your off.” It was intended for  a joke but Chaerin heard his murderous tone. “Buney, he’s being professional.”

 

“I guess.” There was it again—the jealous tone of his.

 

“Ji?” She looked up at him, “Yeah?”

 

“Don’t act like you’re my guy—please. That would ruin everything.” She told him as she tried moving pass him. “Chae, you know it’s not like that. I can’t help it I swear!” Jiho said as he followed her.

 

“I know—but I already told you that your feelings won’t change how I feel about you. And let me repeat it—it’s called friendship.” She turned and faced him when she said that. She had gone tired about this roller coaster ride with Jiho.

 

He has to stop hoping.

 

Even though her word stung, Jiho didn’t looked perturbed—as if he was expecting things like that would happen. “Is it because of him?”

 

Chaerin held her temple to ease the stress. “Buney, why is it always have to end up with Kwon Jiyong?”

 

Jiho put his hands on his pockets and looked straight her, his eyes, serious. “I didn’t say his name, Chae.” She looked at him—no, he didn’t. Are her feelings coming out? “No—but it would eventually end up with him right?” she said as she attempted to walk out—only to be stopped by his hand on her arm.

 

“Is it because of him? Kwon Jiyong?” He asked.

 

She looked at his eyes and saw a hurricane of emotions in his eyes. “Is it him, Chaerin?” She noticed how his eyes were starting to get glassy. “The one you asked love for?”

 

“Jiho?” She called him as she played with the rim of her Americano cup. They were in their favorite café, chilling when a thought passed Chaerin’s mind. “Hm?” He asked.

 

She hesitated at first, not sure if she could say those kinds of things to him. Him—who likes her more than a sister?

 

“How do you know that you love somebody?”

 

Jiho stopped on his scribbling and descended on a thinking silence. “I guess it’s when you feel an unexplainable emotion towards that person. Love can’t be defined, Buney, it’s something you need to see and feel to identify.”

 

“Why? Are you liking someone?”

 

“Chaerin—I asked you a question. Is it him?” his voice was coated with a depressed poison that it trembled. She looked down, suddenly embarrassed and scared and not sure at the same time.

 

“Chae—”

 

“What if it’s him?” She asked.

 

And time stopped for a while.

 

She was scared for him. Scared that he’s hurt; slowly, his hand dropped. “You do know that that is the most hurtful thing you ever said to me?”

 

“Hunchae! Let’s have dinner—” Jiho was still looking at her when Jiyong entered the scene. Not good. The latter Ji was all smiled when he found her, but when he saw Block B’s Zico, his aura changed. G-Dragon was out.

 

“What are you doing here?” He asked Jiho. His voice was like fire, hot and scary. “None of your business.” Zico’s statement matched G-Dragon’s.

 

The two have been mentally cursing each other whenever they meet with Chaerin linking the both of them, they tried playing civil. But it seems one of them wasn’t in a good mood to play good boy. “It’s my business, man. You’re in my school, talking to my girl.”

 

“Who’s your girl, Ji?” Chaerin asked. “It’s ghetto talk, Chae.” Jiyong shrugged, his deadly aura lowering for a moment. “I’m just walking my Buney home.” Jiho replied.

 

“I’m sorry to burst your bubble, dude—but walking Hunchae home has been my job ever since her cousin enrolled her here.” Now, the two of them were facing each other. Both had their fists formed and ready to strike, and both not backing up.

 

Jiyong felt a sudden feeling seeing the both of them talking so seriously earlier that his ‘civil’ attempt went out of the window immediately. His protective character just surfaced when he heard the angry tone in Jiho’s voice.

 

Something was up. And it concerns the three of them.

 

“Why does everything have to be your job anyway?” Jiho asked. “Why do you have to step in?” Jiyong fired back. 

 

Zico pushed Jiyong as Chaerin tried to stop the both of them. “Yah! Stop it!” G-Dragon was about to strike back when Chaerin hugged him, the girl was attempting to neutralize him. “Jiho—just go.” She told him.

 

Jiyong was in a dilemma. He was still angry, but he was also having chills because of the unexpected hug. Good chills. Great even.

 

Jiho—was…

 

“You. Me. Rap Battle.” Zico called. Chaerin looked at both men to see if there were any signs of joke in Zico’s dare but G-Dragon only said, “Anytime bro—anytime.”

 

And the two of them watched Block B’s leader go.

 

Whatever was said between them would sure cause chaos—that alone made CL’s skin crawl.