Battle Cry

Knight in Shining Clothes

"So you're not our daughter's boyfriend?" asked her dad as he eyed Tao suspiciously. 

"Yes, sir. We just met actually..." Tao explained.

"Don't you like her?" her father asked. 

"I..Uhmm..." Tao cannot come up with an answer. Whatever his answer was her father would not approve. Tell him you like her, he'll think you want his daughter in bed. Tell him you don't, he'll think you think his daughter is ugly. This is just frustrating. 

"Listen, boy." her father sat next to him. "with the funny clothes...." he added noticing Tao's baggy pants and sparkly shoes for the first time. 

"I just came from a commercial film shoot, sir. I don't really dress like this..." Tao tried to explain. 

"Yeah yeah..." her father didn't even seem to hear his explanation. "You have to listen carefully to every word I'm about to say." he said in a whisper. 

"Okay, sir." Tao whispered as well even though he did not get why they were whispering. 

"You have to make my daughter like you..." her father started which made Tao's jaw to drop. 

"Wha-what, sir?" he asked really confused. 

"Boy, I told you to listen attentively, didn't I? I said you have to make her like you." he repeated.

"But why, sir?" Tao asked.

"What do you mean why?" her father asked. 

"Why do you want me to do all this?" 

"Well don't you want it?" her father crossed his arms and raised an eyebrow.

"I.. Well... I do but..." Tao answered uncomfortably.

"Good."

"One more question, sir..." he came closer to whisper into her father's ear. 

"What?" her father asked.

"Why are we still whispering, sir?" he asked in a whisper. Throughout the whole conversation the two have been speaking in low voices.

"Well, she can't hear or know anything about this. She hates it when we do this."

"Well... I could see why..." Tao was cut off by her father. "Here she comes. Act natural, boy." her father said. 

"Appa," she called out as she went down the stairs in her pyjamas. 

"Oh hi, honey. We weren't talking about you at all." blurted her father. He then turned to face Tao to wink at him as he muttered, "I got this, son."  Tao wanted to hit his forehead so badly. "I thought he said we should act natural?" 

"What?" she asked confused. "Forget it... Anyway... You guys should be sleeping. It's 3 in the morning now." 

"Oh.. Yeah... Sure." the couple stood up and went back to bed leaving the two alone. 

"So, oppa... You could sleep at the guest room." she said.

"What guest room?" asked her brother who apparently heard her. "We don't have a guest room." he said going towards her, yawning.

"I thought you were sleeping?" she said. 

"I woke up to get some water, I was parched. " he answered. "Now, go answer my question." he demanded.

"Oppa, go back to sleep." she pushed her brother toward the stairs, avoiding the question. 

"Wait.. No. What guest room?" he asked holding onto the couch. "Sto-stop pushing me!" he said trying his hardest to make her let go of him. "Wait. Did you mean my..... Oh no! No!" he finally realized she was talking about the room where he puts all his action figure collections. "He is so not sleeping with them!" he shouted. "Mom, she's at it again! Look at her!" her brother sounded like a child trying to get her sibling in trouble. 

"Of course he's not sleeping with them," she said "They are toys, they don't sleep."

"Stop it! You just don't understand!" he ran away in tears.

"You'll have to excuse my brother... He's a little... Uhmm... Weird." she said giving him an awkward smile. 

"Little?" Tao joked. 

"Guess you're gonna have to sleep in my room then." she said. "My brother would kill both of us if I let you sleep in there." she chuckled.

"Me.... With... You??? Sleep... Us??" Tao stuttered.

"Huh? No... I'm gonna go sleep with Jiho."

"Oh," Tao felt so embarrassed for even thinking that they would sleep together. 

 

 

 

"Good night... I mean morning.. Good morning, oppa."

"Good morning." he smiled and she closed the door. The moment she left the room Tao jumped from her bed towards the shelf to start looking at her pictures. "Seems like she volunteers at the church." he thought out loud. All of the pictures were taken in a church, all of which she was with children and nuns.

 

Then he realized... "Wait... Don't tell me...... She wants to be a nun as well." Now he understood why her father asked for his help and why she talked like that. "A girl that pretty would want to get stuck at a convent?" he asked himself. "What a waste..." he sighed. I'm gonna have to work hard, he thought. If he wanted her to change her heart then he's gonna have to do his best. 

"I got this!" he smirked thinking he's going to win this battle.... 

 

But this battle wasn't easy, his rival was God after all....